4-56 The blind swordsman
2.3k 2 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Big thanks and shoutout to my newest patron; Paradox

Though her treatment as a captive was less than ideal, Erin was thankful for the fact that she was given clean water and untainted food. The food was nothing special, just plain rye bread that had gone stale but it wasn’t poisoned, so Erin didn’t make a huge fuss out of it. She needed all the energy she could muster.

There was no clock or any device that was able to help her discern the time of the day or night. She wagered at least a few hours had gone by. She was still in the cage, in a vast hall, amidst pillars with intricate carvings. Since she had nothing else to do and she hit a dead-end at coming up with an escape plan, she became entranced with the carvings on the pillar.

It became clear to Erin that these thugs did not build this place. They merely found it and turned it into their base. She could not understand any of the carvings on the pillars but she remembered the patterns and forms. They bore a huge resemblance to the ones she stumbled upon back in the cave she fell into when fighting the Apostles of Mordius, the Skinwalkers’ god.

Although she couldn’t remember exactly the encounter, the key parts were vivid in her mind. If this place was what she presumed it to be, there might be a vault. There was a high likelihood that it had already been found and clear but her hunch told her otherwise. She could tell what kind of person Rylan Grid was just from a few glimpses of him. He was definitely not the type to stay quiet about some huge discovery that would foster his fame and reputation. Since she hadn’t heard anything of that sort, the vault must have remained undiscovered.

“Well, in any case, I should find a way out of this cage first,” Erin grumbled in her mind. She had already tried everything she could think of but to no avail. She even tried scratching the diagram but the scratches patched themselves up immediately after they were made. Erin tutted at the heedful considerations and gave up on that idea.

With her level of strength, she had no doubt she could easily break through this cage even with the weakening spell in effect but there were two Demoids standing guard. Even if she got out of the cage, she would still have two Demoids to deal with and the diagram had rendered her too enervated. If they were just plain guards, Erin had the utmost confidence they would be a non-issue but alas, they were Demoids, exalted with the unscrupulous aspects of Demons.

Be that as it may, the Demoids or her escape weren’t Erin’s current biggest concern. Her main plight was that her foes had devised ways to specifically combat each of her strengths and aptitude. Even her Unique Talent, Bespoke, was nullified in the battle against Darius. They did not target her Lightning Magic or her Spirit Magic, most likely because they were much too common of a Magic Art to be given any regard. In the end, her skill with the sword was her sole solace but she feared they would even contrive a method to counter that flair of hers.

But Erin wasn’t too disheartened nor distressed by the bleak future. She wasn’t alone. Unlike her former life, she had people she could depend on. She had friends. She had lovers. She had utter faith that Aedan would come to her rescue or he would send someone instead given his current circumstance. Nevertheless, she believed she would not be abandoned, but that didn’t mean she completely gave up on her side.

Since Erin hit a dead-end on all of her thoughts, she decided to fall back onto something less conventional and a tad absurd. She dwelled back on her life as Argon Raze, the prime of her life as the Sword Saint. She knew a lot of techniques and tricks with the sword. She still remembered them but with her current physique, it was difficult to reenact those moves with the same efficiency and result.

As Erin trod down the memory lane of her former life, she heard a fresh set of footsteps approaching her. It was no Darius nor the one who brought her food and water. The steps belonged to neither of them. It wasn’t the footstep of her Demoid guards either as they were motionless. Their gazes were trained on her with great vehemence. Their lives were on the line after all.

Erin became curious about the footsteps as she could tell those were the steps of a seasoned fighter. More specifically, it was the steps of a swordsman.

“R-Ruyo?” blurted Tim, or so Erin presumed, as a man in plain clothing emerged from the shadows of the pillars. “What are you doing here?”

As Erin had predicted, the man had a sword by his waist and it was no common sword. It was a sabre with a thin single-edged blade much like the one Erin herself used. Most curious of all, Erin, and most likely everyone else, could tell the man was blind with how his eyes were without pupils and large hideous scars were drawn across those pale eyes.

“I heard Darius had snatched himself a fine prize. I’m just here to see it for myself.” The blind swordsman’s nose twitched, sniffing the air. “It’s truly her, isn’t it? Lady Erynthea, the Fox of the Blade Storm.”

Erin frowned at what she heard. She cursed inwardly at those who gave her that moniker. It was a fitting moniker but it was much too extravagant for anyone with a bit of shame to accept it.

“Yes, it’s her. Did you bet against Darius too?”

“Oh, I didn’t bet at all. You know me, Tim. I don’t like gambling. Say, is it true that she has blades for tails?”

Erin raised an eyebrow.

“No, she does not,” Tim answered.

“Shame… it would have been a… thrilling fight had it been true.”

“I can give you a thrilling fight even if my tails aren’t bladed,” Erin said.

“Shut up, you—” Tim raised his voice but he was stopped by Ruyo.

“You’re good with the sword, I heard,” said Ruyo. “Is it true, Lady Erynthea?”

“Probably the best in the whole city.”

Ruyo chuckled. “Is that confidence or arrogance I hear?”

“You’re welcome to find out for yourself.”

“Tempting but I’m afraid I have to reject the invitation. A lot of people would be unhappy if I accepted it. And I’m blind, not stupid.”

Erin shrugged. “Well, it was worth a try.”

“Your heartbeat is calm, milady. Fascinating.”

“How so?”

“Given the predicament you’re in, I don’t sense fear emanating from you. Are you not troubled by all of this?”

“I’m troubled, no question about that. I don’t deny it, but why should I be afraid?”

“I see… You’re fearless.”

“Oh, I’m not without fears. It’s just… none of you deserves my fear.”

Ruyo laughed. “Your will is strong, so is your heart. Your resolve is truly like a fine blade. Sharp, tenacious, and robust. It does explain your provoking words and nature.”

“Are you studying me?”

“I am.”

“I’m that interesting?”

“I’m just making the right preparations.”

“For what.”

“For the off-chance that you managed to escape your quandary.”

“Oi, Ruyo! What do you mean by that?!” Ron shouted.

“I’m just contemplating the ifs, Ron. She’s a Fae and an excellent sworder. She has Spatial Magic and two Unique Talents. I won’t be surprised if she somehow outwitted all of you here.”

“Are you saying that everyone here is incompetent?”

“As I have said, I’m just speculating for contingency purposes. You don’t need to take it to heart. Consider my words to be the blabbers of a poor blind man.”

“Poor?” Ron snorted. “Yeah, right. If you’re poor, then everyone else must be the most miserable fucks in this city. I have seen you swing your blade. You can cut rocks and boulders and that’s before your Demonification.”

“I’m flattered but you’re exaggerating, Ron. Anyone with a blade and the right Combat Art can easily cut down a rock. It is no feat worthy of praise.”

Tim tutted. “Leave him be, Ron. The ones with talent can never understand the plight of us common folks.”

“Common folks?” Erin scoffed. “You have the nerves and audacity to call yourselves common folks? At least have the galls to accept what you are now instead of trying to rationalise what you’re not.”

“Shut up, bitch!” Tim roared as he partially transformed his arm and slammed against the cage. “Do you not understand the situation you’re in?!”

“Situation?” Erin tittered. “Fancy word for a shabby thug.”

“Ignore her, Tim. Remember what Darius told us. Don’t fall for her tricks.”

“I’m not falling for any of her tricks. I just find her annoying. Couldn’t they have made this cage soundproof too?”

“They would if they could. Just don’t pay her any mind, Tim.”

“Yeah, Tim. Just don’t mind me. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon. Just sit there like the good dogs you two are and keep watching over me.”

“That’s it!” Tim exploded. His Demonic appearance slid over his human form, gaining a few feet in height. He tottered towards Erin in a haste but a sudden streak of a silver sheen stopped him in his tracks.

“Calm yourself, Tim. You are doing exactly what she wants you to by letting her words get to your head,” said Ruyo with his sword drawn and brandished across Tim’s neck. “Compose yourself and return to your post.”

With a loud huff, Tim reverted to his human form and shuffled back to his post beside Ron.

“Your words are truly poisonous, milady,” Ruyo said.

“Oh, is it now? I didn’t think Demoids would have any issues with poison. Apologies for overestimating your abilities. How remiss of me.”

Ruyo sighed. “They should have prioritised sealing your voice instead of your Arcane Arts. Clearly, your words are far more dangerous than your other flairs.”

“It’s only dangerous to the ones with small minds.”

Ruyo sighed once again and turned his back to Erin. “Tim, Ron. For your mental well-being, I suggest you find something to plug your ears or I fear that eventually, either one of you or both of you will give in to her mockeries and taunts.”

The two had grim faces but they didn’t deny what Ruyo said. However, where would they find something to plug their ears with? So they looked at Ruyo in wonder and confusion.

“Use your clothes. Tore a small piece off and stuff them in your ears.”

The two’s faces brightened as Ruyo offered them a solution. But before they could do so, a voice resounded from behind them.

“That won’t be necessary, you two.”

The two Demoid jumped at the sound of that voice. They knew full well who it belonged to.

A man with neatly combed golden hair appeared from the darkness incurred by the numerous pillars. Darius was trailing behind the blonde man closely. The blonde man was wearing opulent garments as if trying to relay to everyone who laid eyes on him of his immense wealth.

“You two are dismissed,” Darius said and gestured for them to leave.

The two Demoids sighed in relief and hastily made their retreat.

“Lord Grid,” Ruyo greeted with a slight bow.

For reasons unknown to Erin, Rylan Grid wasn’t too pleased with Ruyo’s presence. “Ruyo? What are you doing here?”

“I have come here to appraise the rumours.”

“So you have. Well, since you have already done that, I’m sure you have no more business being here.”

“I don’t have any other business anywhere, so I might as well stay here and enjoy the play.”

Grid raised an eyebrow. “Do you think this is a farce?”

“You are trying to defy the Covenant, Lord Grid.”

Darius immediately stepped in front of Grid and partially transformed his arms. “Did Marduk send you?”

“Of course, Marduk sent me. Aren’t we all sent here by Marduk in the first place?”

“You know that’s not what I’m asking, Ruyo!” Darius growled.

“No, I suppose you’re not.”

“What are you playing at, Ruyo?” Grid asked.

Ruyo chuckled. “Marduk wishes to ask you the same question, Lord Grid.”

Erin’s ears and brows perked up at those words.

65