Chapter 81
1.3k 10 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

- Erys -

 

Mum is overdue.
God, something must have happened.
How could I be so stupid and let her actually go there?
I should've insisted on sending an escort with her.
Everything I've got, no matter what anyone's saying.
But no, mum assures me that everything's fine and I shouldn't worry so much.
And now we're in this situation!
God, what should I do?
What should I do?!

 

<Erys? Is there a reason why you're sending out enough stress pheromones to put every single drone into a state as if we're under attack?> (F)

"Mum!" (E)

 

Immediately I rush at her and pull her in a tight embrace.

 

<Oh my, is everything alright?> (F)

"What do you think is with me?! I was worried about you! You, alone with this lunatic!" (E)

<Oh, there was just something coming up. It was an interesting day. But as you can see I'm back and everything is alright.> (F)

 

Yes, yes it is.
Mum is safe, and apparently, nothing was done to her.

 

<Actually, I'm looking forward to my next appointment.> (F)

 

What!?

 

<Uhh, Erys, please a bit less intense.> (F)

"You, you, you, you can't be serious!" (E)

<Why not? As I've understood it, this new job wasn't a one-time thing. When she's not being all high and mighty it's quite relaxed there. Okay, she's most of the time trying to be high and mighty but this troubled lady needs my care.> (F)

 

Could it be that I was wrong about her being fine?
Maybe mum got brainwashed.
She certainly says worrisome things.

 

<I can understand you very well. Nothing is more fulfilling than serving a princess.> (K)

 

And Kyska, who I didn't even perceive until now, chimes in.
As usually, directly opposed to my common sense.

 

"Mum! Did she do something to you? In any way meddled with your head? You have to tell me!" (E)

 

She's clearly acting weirdly.

 

<Erys, I'm mentally in absolutely pristine condition, to answer your internal screamings. At most I had to deal with some pheromone commands and none of these really got to me. I can soothe you, I had no issues with the job and everything went well.> (F)

"B-but we're talking about Honiu!" (E)

<As Kyska told us before, she was very concerned about not endangering her brood by going against the order. So I could basically do as I pleased without having to worry.> (F)

"Still, don't take this all too lightly. You know how she is. Also, you're talking already the whole time in insect speech. You know you need more practice." (E)

"Oh, sorryeee. Ieeh spoke thEe whoole dayee liieeke thieez." (F)

 

Damn, it clearly deteriorated.

 

"Mum, you can't forget about practicing. How will you ever regain your speech if you don't practice?" (E)

"Sorryee but...." (F)

 

Mum stops mid-sentence and adjusts her jaw.

 

<Sorry, but it's right now quite unpleasant. I promise I'll practice later, but right now my throat is a little slack and it was a long day.> (F)

 

I am not too sure if I can count on her on that matter.

 

"You really have to." (E)

<Anyways, I had quite an interesting day. I learned very much and am intrigued by many things.> (F)

"Mhm. Like what?" (E)

<Ehk, scria!/Ehm, Kyska, can you tell me anything about this cleansing fluid that comes out of your middle claws?> (F)

<The fluid? This is difficult. How shall I describe something that was always an essential part of us?> (K)

<Well, you could start by telling me about its properties. You need to know, that for humans it would be considered extremely dirty and impolite to stain someone else with body fluids.> (F)

<Such a thing! The cleansing fluid is perfectly fine to apply to the body.> (K)

<Okay, but why? Isn't it dirty? For example, blood stains can turn into an extremely vile mix if too long out of the body. This can't be different for your kind, right Kyska?> (F)

<But the cleansing fluid isn't blood. Completely the opposite.> (K)

<Then what does it?> (F)

<As the term implies it's cleaning. It removes all kinds of stains and if applied to a wound it can even prevent infection and stops the blood from flowing out.> (K)

<Wow. It can really do all that?> (F)

<Naturally. It's simply doing what it's intended to do, cleansing what it comes into contact with. And the other properties are extremely convenient while treating wounds.> (K)

<It seems so.> (F)

"Okay, so could someone explain to me why you're asking Kyska about cleansing fluid?" (E)

<Right. You know, Honiu offered to me that she could make me produce it as well. At first, I was just weirded out, but now that I think and hear about it it doesn't sound too bad.> (F)

 

I stare in deepest disbelief.
Mum can't be serious about this.

 

"You don't mean this. Do you even remotely know how crazy you sound? Volunteering to let this crazy princess continue messing with your body?" (E)

<You know how often your brother gets a scratch. It would be convenient.> (F)

"No! No, no, no, no! You won't even think about this! Forget it!" (E)

"Eryiieeez! Asz muuch Ie know thiEez iez stiell mye bodyEe!! Aeend Iee dEecieede! (F)

 

Ouch.
If I wouldn't know better I'd say she just used her voice as a weapon.
But the bigger issue is how determined she just was.
Any further word will only cause counter-reactions.
Damnit!

I really don't want to let my mum do this.
Maybe another approach?

 

"At least, please talk to dad, mum. Don't decide such a big thing by yourself." (E)

"Hah. Weee wiell seee." (F)

 

As there is no greater family crisis than this I decide to attend this peculiar family meeting, regarding if my mother should be allowed to get body modifications.
A topic which I on one side have quite the tense relationship with and also never thought to be something we would ever even have to talk about.

Dad sits in my family's room cave.
By now it looks fairly decent.
We've recently got some fabric from our base under Osari to decorate, cushioned benches, and even a bed with a proper sheet.
Also, dishes to store in specific earthen holders.
All in all, it looks already quite homey.

Dad takes a nap on a bench right now.
I'm sorry that I have to break that to him.

 

"Dad!" (E)

"Wha-wha-what!!?" (R)

 

Uh, I should keep in mind how my pheromones affect others.

 

"Ehk, sorry. But you have to talk with mum!" (E)

"Wha-? Talk? What is this about?" (R)

"Mum seriously wants to allow this crazy bitch Honiu to modify her body!" (E)

"Wha-... Farrah?" (R)

 

Utterly confused my dad stares at us.
Well, maybe I should have let him wake up first.
But I'm just so agitated.
We actually need some minutes to get dad in a state where he's halfway able to process what we were saying.

 

"Okay, what is this about body changes?" (R)

<Erys makes it sound worse than iet iz. It's onlye about producing cleansing fluid.> (F)

"Right... I worry right now that I've gone mad and that's the reason why nothing makes sense anymore." (R)

<God Rowen. It's only a minor adjustment.> (F)

"You're talking about changing your body. This is no "minor thing". It's actually quite concerning how laid back you're about all this." (R)

<Well, at first I was a bit reluctant. But after Kyeska explained it I see no problem.> (F)

"Kyska?" (R)

"Yes. Cleaning liquid can be very convenient and is a worthwhile asset for a nurse. Especially while tending premature brood." (K)

 

Naturally, Kyska followed me.
And mum even appreciated that there's someone with expertise.
But I'm rather sure dad wasn't really asking her about insight or convenience.

 

"Kyska explained the cleansing liquid to us. Apparently it can close wounds and prevent infections." (E)

"The liquid can be expelled at will over glands at our midsegment arms. This isn't all there is to it, but very well." (K)

"Still! How can you consider this? Even more by this dangerous princess?" (R)

<She won't risk doing anything that can be considered harming me. She was extremely anxious about going against the order. Also, humans sweat, right? So why not exchange a part of my sweat with something convenient? It's not like I need it.> (F)

 

Should I mention to dad that mum talks in insect speech?
He barely perceives it nowadays if she switches.

 

"Still, no matter the reasons, don't you think it's a bit much to decide this so rashly? If you're going with such adjustments you're basically barring you from ever living a normal life on the surface again." (R)

<Don't you think that's already a lost cause? Not to speak of Erys, or my voice, or the fact that we're by now known collaborators with the insects. The main issue is that there's no chance we can leave. Aside from my assignment, which will be quite difficult to chicken out from, we're important to Erys. There's no way that we'll ever be able to leave so someone can take us hostage to take advantage of our daughter. The insects won't allow such a thing to happen. Just accept it, we're stuck here. We can as well simply try to adjust.> (F)

 

I... I'm a bit shocked.
Well, this revelation shouldn't surprise me all that much.
Somehow I knew that this is the current state of affairs and just avoided thinking about it.

But that mum was so aware of it...
Actually, it explains quite much.
How she full of vigor started working as a nurse.
How she was so calm and accepting the whole time about her voice.
How she all the time makes little living arrangements in the cave.
Mum is quite intelligent.
I'm sure as soon she learned that I'm important here she figured out all the implications.
This explains so much.

 

"Farrah..." (R)

"Ie promiese Ie'll first ask veery closelye about what Exactly the rEsult and procEdure will bEe like. Ief Ie don't lieke iet I won't do iet." (F)

 

Seems mum recovered a bit and talks in human to dad to sound more reassuring.

 

"Sigh. Whatever." (R)

"What!? You just leave it at that, dad?" (E)

"It's not that I like it, but I can see that your mother made up her mind about this to happen. And can you really imagine me winning an argument with your mother?" (R)

 

Well, for as long as I can remember this never happened.

 

"Urgh. Mum, if you'd just know how hard it is right now to keep my self-imposed rule to never use any of my authority against my family to force an argument." (E)

"WEll, Ie'm thAnkful for thAt." (F)

 

Guess she switched back to human to avoid that I force her to train it.

 

"Bye thee way, how iez Toris?" (F)

"Great. He's still asking when he can go back to the chamber of knowledge, but he'll have to wait till the scholar I made is ready so classes can start. I'm still a bit worried. Scholars are weird and can do quite outrageous stuff. You're not considering allowing him any changes, right?" (E)

 

With the recent development that's an actual concern.
And little boys really shouldn't be allowed to decide if they want to modify their bodies.
And especially not Toris.

 

"No, no. Just havEn't seeen him yEt. GuEss Ie wiell bee veerye occupieed wieth mye neew assiegnment." (F)

 

64