Chapter 90
1.4k 26 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

For some reason, Liseti visits right now the training field of my royal guard.

 

<You received a delivery of weapons. I came as soon as I became aware of it.> (L)

 

Did she sense my confusion?
But it makes sense.
Liseti likes her sticks and trains regularly with them.
So naturally, she would be interested in getting her hands, ahem, claws on the real deal.

 

<Would it be possible for me to receive some as well?> (L)

 

Uh, she kinda paid for them, so yes.

 

"I plan on sending you some directly!" (E)

 

At least now that I'm aware of my giant slip-up.
I just hope half-truths don't carry over with the pheromones.

 

"So, did you want anything specific here?" (E)

 

Apart from securing you some weapons.

 

<I was informed that you managed to produce a scholar and a nectar unit. I am satisfied.> (L)

 

Is this all she wants to tell me?

 

<You're satisfied? I don't really understand. Why do you even care what I'm laying?> (E)

<Naturally, it is of importance that a princess learns to regulate the produced patterns. Disproportionate numbers are detrimental. But worse is complete lack. The scholars and nectar units serve a purpose and eventually, their existence will prove very advantageous for you.> (L)

<Will it really? I mean, it's not like I don't get your logic, but there are several others around. Especially regarding the scholars, I can go at any time to the chamber of knowledge and ask them stuff. It's not like I need my own for that.> (E)

<Accessing them will prove difficult if you're no longer part of this hive.> (L)

.

.

.

Excuse me...
I've got the feeling that someone just said something completely outrageous.

 

<Sciiieek!/What!? What do you mean? No longer being part of this hive? I was pretty sure the queen made clear that my role in this swarm is quite permanent.> (E)

<I didn't say anything contrary to this notion. The fact that you're bound to our swarm won't change. At least if no other swarm captures you. Yet the hive and the swarm aren't the same. As mentioned, you might end up without the protection of this hive, but still be part of the swarm. If this time comes, you should be fully prepared.> (L)

<I don't understand. Why would I be without the hive?> (E)

<Because this is a princess' purpose. They hatch, grow up, multiply, and eventually, when their numbers exceed the hive's capacity to support them, they leave together with their brood to find a new hive. Naturally, your numbers are still far away from making such a measure necessary. However, the time will likely come. Honiu can't be allowed to act as she pleases. She's too peculiar. This leaves me and you. While I might do well on my own, I believe I can do better if I remain here and oversee all the drones. You, on the other side, are eagerly waiting for an opportunity like this, to regain your freedom.> (L)

 

Well, the mere thought of ruling over a place of my own makes me anxious, but if I consider what she just said... It sounds appealing.

 

<So I could really be allowed to just leave this place?> (E)

<Naturally, you'll still be considered as a part of our swarm. In case of a conflict, you'll be expected to partake and send your drones. After all, unison is our strength.> (L)

 

Like a vassal to a king, or queen in this case.
It's still utterly tempting to gain as much freedom as I wish for.
Not exactly sure what I'd do then, and my body would still be as it is now, but I wouldn't have to fear anymore about being nothing but an egg producer.
I would be something like a ruler.
Huh, I should certainly talk later with my parents about this.

 

<Thank you for telling me about this.> (E)

<I said I would tell you more if you show that you're capable of being self-sufficient. Your brood deserves this. This brings us to the other reason why I'm here. Which is that I wanted to inspect your royal guard. After all, I'm more than aware of how you're planning to return to the surface only relying on them for protection. It would be irresponsible not to make an objective assessment of their capabilities.> (L)

"And you're saying they're doing well?" (E)

<It's difficult to say. Your subjects seem to be capable enough to make up for their extensive cost. Yet for a longer appointment in a hostile environment, this might not be enough.> (L)

"But I gave them my word. I can't back out here. Just a short negotiation and we might have stable relations. This would be a good thing, right?" (E)

<It would be. However, we also have to mind risk and benefit. If you are successful, this might turn out positive. Conflict would mean that many of our subjects die. I doubt we'd lose, but you shouldn't believe that I or even the queen don't care for our brood. On the other side, losing a single princess harms the swarm as a whole. Our system of tunnels allows us to identify and stall conflicts. We can extend them by sending ever new units to plug paths up. Like this, it's a question of who has more to sustain their forces. Princesses are the one factor that grants us the advantage. A princess such as you. Risking you is an issue.> (L)

 

I realize that Formicea are quite the defensive folk.
For them, expansion is less important than securing an area.
The total a princess can produce is what matters, not the fate of a single drone.

 

"Still, I want to do this. Not only because I miss the things of my old life and am greedy for them, which might be a point, but also because I believe that it would mean progress for both sides. And who knows, one day my family might be able to switch between both worlds without issues. I want to actively work towards this goal." (E)

<Your point is clear and you took great precautions. It will be upon the queen to decide. But you will eventually have to make your own decisions, so I believe that she will at least consider your wishes.> (L)

 

It still feels bad that I am completely dependent on someone else's permission on such a matter which is of such importance to me.

 

<However, there's one more thing I want to confirm on my side.> (L)

 

Huh, what is...

Before I can finish that thought, Liseti extends a blade and slashes in my direction.

I see it coming and there's no hint that it's going to slow down.
These weird eyes of mine only show very clearly how screwed I am, without me being able to come up with an appropriate reaction, as stunned as I am at this development.
The only thing I manage to do is draw back, just in time, in a way that I fall on my back, narrowly escaping the strike but also painfully clamping a wing.
Now I'm lying completely defenseless on the ground and know that there's nothing I can do to evade Liseti's next strike, which she's already preparing.

I just don't understand why she's doing this.
This is going too far for training.
She almost got me there and her blades are poisoned.
But now the next strike is coming and...
Never reaches me.

I blink twice.
The first time I'm still at it to realize that I'm fine, and a second time to assess this situation.
And well, a third time because my second eyelids got irritated.
Three black swords from three different drones of my royal guard have blocked the attack directly in front of my head.
The other weapons they left behind to be faster, but point their claw spikes at Liseti.
Directly around us are a dozen more, fully armed ones, which are ready to strike at Liseti at a moment's notice.
And all around the room,  around seventy more of them aim with at least two of their spikes at Liseti.
The deadly ones.

 

<Ah, interesting. Your defense was certainly lacking, but your royal guard shows extraordinary abilities. To believe they're even willing to kill another princess without any hesitation. This kind of devotion is rare. And that for good reason. > (L)

 

Seriously!
This was a test?!
She clearly went too far.

 

<You... What if you'd hit me?! The poison!> (E)

<Don't worry, I have an antidote. I'll admit that this maybe was a bit drastic, but only true danger or something close to it could suffice as an accurate test. For you as well as your guard. And truly, you're still lacking when it comes to making quick decisions. But in the end, this test worked out for you. Consider me convinced. I'm willing to support your decision to move out with this kind of escort. However, you clearly require thorough training for yourself.> (L)

 

With this, she leaves as if nothing happened at all.
It seems I can't expect more than this from her.

I also look at my royal guard. I never saw them moving this fast.
Well, I still didn't, but I can anticipate the distance in relation to their prior position.
And it was fast.
And terrifically efficient.

They never used those weapons before, but in this one moment, they were all too willing to use them to get rid of Liseti.
And those efficient killing machines are coming from me.
I created them.
This makes me feel some dread but also, at the same time, a weird sense of pride.
Please, don't get me wrong.
I don't mean because they're good killers.
It's just, that they're much more capable than I ever was.
In a certain way... cooler.
But as their creator, I'm partaking in this in some way.
At least those present here would certainly agree.

 

"Th-thank you for just now. It's good that you all didn't harm Liseti. That would be bad. But I also wanted to say, that I think you all are good at your job. I guess I can feel safe with you lot around." (E)

 

I politely bow down to them and leave.

Trying to get quickly away from that huge commotion I just caused behind me.

 

64