Chapter 16: The Fool Pt. Finale
3.2k 12 130
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day.

After my lessons with Miss Angelica has ended, I head for the courtyard to check if Loki is still alive from my father's hellish training.

"Loki? Hey, Loki!~"

I double tap his faced down body.

Yep. He's dead, alright... Well, unconscious to be exact.

"Daddy, you overdid it."

"It's fine, sweetie~. Just bring him to a room and have him rest. He'll wake up soon enough"

Ok, I'm feeling a little angry now.

"Daddy... if you do not apologise to Loki, then I won't talk to you anymore."

*crack*

The sound of something breaking was heard. My father is currently frozen, not moving an inch because of what I have said.

I called for a servant to help me carry Loki to a guest room. Leaving my father behind, who is slowly breaking down from reality.

???

"Mmm.... mmm... huh?"

"You're finally awake."

Loki looks at me and finds himself on a bed. Sitting up, he begins to smile.

"Hahahaha, seems like I fainted from training, huh?"

"Tch!"

"Man!~ Your father was really harsh on me. Well, it's his training so-"

"WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING!?"

"Eh?"

I stood up and glared at Loki.

I had enough. I am angry, not only at my father for being an asshole to Loki, but also at Loki himself for stupidly overdoing himself.

"Loki, what did you say to my father? Why did you let him torment you? Why did you endure it for TWO... WEEKS!? Tell me everything NOW!"

"I... I..."

"Tell me everything, Loki. Or I won't talk to you ever again!"

Now that I actually think about it, this boy is unnatural. Taking part of a hellish training, to the point where he has finally passed out today.

Loki had said not to mind it, but now... Now it's different. I must know everything!

"I.. I told your father, that I wish for your hand in marriage."

So he really is a fool.

"Then, do you love me, Loki?"

"N-no... I like you, Mercedes... but I don't love you."

"Then why, Loki... Why?"

"I..."

He begins explaining to me...

It was about two years ago, when Loki was four. He had started playing the piano at that age, and has grew to love it. Putting his heart and soul everyday, into improving his skills at the piano.

And when Loki became five years old, his father, Duke Lekrona, had decided to bring Loki with him to the palace, to have him meet with Uncle Licht, the King, and his wife, the Queen.

Loki became excited and worked even harder on his piano skills, in order to impress the both of them.

His efforts paid off as they praised Loki for his skills. However, they weren't his only audience.

Apparently, the older sister of Adrian and Aria, the Second Princess, had saw Loki playing the piano when she went out for some fresh air. Falling in love with him, as she watched his performance from the sidelines.

And so, Loki is unofficially engaged to the Second Princess. Which will be announced as official, once the two of them have grown up.

However, Loki didn't like the engagement, for he has never met the Second Princess and won't be able to meet her, until she has gotten better from her illness, which would take a very long time because of her weak constitution.

That was why, Loki had started playing harmless pranks on others. Mainly on his older brother, Sir Vali. In order to attain himself a bad reputation, as the problem child of the renowned Lekrona family. Hoping that the Second Princess would call off their engagement, after hearing about Loki's deeds.

That annulment, however, never came. Instead, a portrait of the Second Princess was shown to him, which did no effect to the boy as he still didn't know her personally.

But when Loki first met and became friends with me, he had thought of another way.

"If I'm gonna marry someone, I would prefer to marry someone I know and like. That's why... I went to see your father... to get his permission to be engaged with you, before they could announce my engagement with the Second Princess."

"..."

"I-I'm sorry, Mercedes... for trying to use you..."

This stupid fool...

I grab his cheeks and pull on them hard.

"M-Mersebes?"

"Loki, forget about marrying me and quit your training right now."

"B-but-"

I put my finger out, preventing him from saying anything.

"The Fourth Prince Adrian and the Third Princess Aria's fifth birthday is coming up. You know that, right?"

"Y-yeah. His Majesty has already sent out invitations to all nobles for that day... To arrive at the palace in the evening, for those two's birthday party."

"Yes, that's right. However, because I am good friends with those twins, Uncle Licht has asked me and my family to arrive at the palace earlier. That is why, I shall bring you along with us as well. So that you can personally meet the Second Princess, before the party."

"U-Uncle Licht?"

Ah, shit!... I just addressed the King, informally, in front of someone else besides my family.

"Pfft. Hahahahaha!~ You really are weird, you know that? To call His Majesty, Uncle. Oyher nobles would scream at you for calling him that."

"Ahahaha... Anyways, get some rest. And later, tell my father that you've gave on me. Swordsmanship is just not for you."

I got up and walk towards the door. But before I leave...

"Ah, wait, Mercedes!"

...Loki called out to me.

"Umm... we... We'll still be friends, right?"

I give him a smile.

"Of course."

After I have left the room, I see my father approaching me.

"M-Mercedes, sweetie... Y-you're not serious about what you'd said earlier... right?"

I said nothing in response and just stare at him, coldly. Which answers his question immediately.

"W-wait here. Daddy will now go and apologise."

He ran off. Heading to where Loki is, as I waited for him. And after some time, daddy returns. Saying that he has apologised, so I talk to him again. Reverting our relationship back to normal, as he then hugs me tightly with tears of joy in his eyes.

Hahaha... what a doting father I have...

???

"Why are you here?"

The day after that. Just as I thought Loki had quit, he returns to our estate.

"Didn't you quit your swordsmanship training?"

"Yes, I did... But I did not quit my archery training. In fact, I've taken a liking to it."

Oh. Well~ Loki is skilled in using range weapons after all... And he doesn't have to go through such an intense exercise, compared to his swordsmanship training...

So it's fine, I guess...?

"What did my father say?"

"He said 'Alright'. He also promised me that he'll go easier on me. Seems like he's really sorry about giving me such a harsh training."

I see... looks like I scared him quite a lot that time, huh.

I put out my fist.

"Well then, glad to have you training with us, Loki."

In response, Loki puts out his fist as well.

"Yeah. I'll be in your care, Mercedes."

We fist bumped, and then return to our training.

After which, time flies by quickly, as today is the twins' birthday.

"So this is the palace, huh?"

It's fucking huge!!!

Thanks for reading, choco. ?

Also, I have changed, castle -> palace, for this chapter. I will make that change for the other chapters later.

Please hit the heart, if you like the chapter.

130