The one I Like… Is You
234 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When you think about, after all these years. There’s been something that’s been growing within you. Is this just because you’ve known each other for so long? Maremi’s your childhood friend, surely that doesn’t lead to love…

But then again, things rarely go as you plan.

“The girl I like…” You finally speak up to her, once the thoughts can be processed through your mouth. “Is you.”

“You’re…” She’s about to say something, but stops herself and looks away from you. Was she about to accuse you of lying? But, what made her change her mind like that? “How could you say that?”

“I…” It’s hard to say how you feel. Mostly because, you’ve never felt this way about someone. In a sense, you’re not even sure if this is what the feelings of love really are. Just that, you know that Maremi is the only girl to make you feel this way. “It’s just what I feel. But, I didn’t think you cared.”

“…” She doesn’t reply at first. It’s time for her to take her words serious, which is something of a rarity with this girl. “I was just scared…” That’s an interesting choice of words coming from her. That girl almost never seems to be afraid of anything. “Scared that we were drifting away.” So that’s how she was really feeling all this time. Sure, at first it wasn’t a big deal. Just something new that she’d have to deal with. Yet every single day since the club started, the less time you spent with her. The more she started to think that you’d leave her behind. Of course, she never wanted to say it out loud. For she didn’t want to seem like a selfish friend.

“But we both knew what this club entailed.” You remind her. “I never meant to make you feel left out.” Though you’re certain you always made sure that she was a major part of club activities. That’s not the problem she had. For Maremi, it felt as though she was beginning to take a backseat to your life. No, more than just that, she was getting kicked out of the car you were driving. It was because of that, that she started to realize something about her own feelings. Perhaps feelings that have been there for longer than she knew.

“But why me?” She asks. The girl is still unsure about the way you truly feel, as if this is a dream or something that you’re saying to make her feel better. “Ayai and Saemi are so talented. And Isami and Risui, those two are some of the smartest girls in school.” You can see the tears falling from the left side her face, as she describes the people she has started to call friends. They may be compliments for them, but in reality, are harsh words to tear herself down. “What am I? Just someone with a smile on her face?”

“Maremi.” You stop her, placing your hand over hers on the railing. Hearing her say this about herself, you want it to stop. Because she’s not some boring or terrible person, that’s a lie that you can’t afford to let her believe in any longer. “Do you remember the promise we made?”

“O-of course…” She sniffles a bit, and does a little bit to wipe the tears. “How could I forget? That’s why we’re here in the first place.” Indeed, that’s why the two of you are in this school together, and why you’re managing the idol club. But that’s stuff already known for most people.

“And we made it right here, on this very spot.” You look up, remembering what happened that day. Your mother had gotten very sick. It was so bad, that you even overheard the doctors privately conversing their concerns for her life. Being scared over the idea that your mom might possibly die, you ran away. Maybe it was a bit of an overreaction, but how else would one act at the age of ten? Especially with what you heard.

So you ended up hiding here, which caused a lot of concern for everyone. While looking for you, only one person knew exactly where you were. That person was Maremi.

It was on that day, when she picked you up when you were down. And it was also when you made that resolution of a dream. In fact, it was when both of you realized what you wanted in your futures. No matter how difficult, no matter how challenging, you both made the promise to help the other achieve their dream.

“Together, we’ll make the world happier.” Those were the words you both swore a promise to. Such crazy high hopes between two kids, that admittedly, you still hold onto as highschoolers.

“Remember how hard you worked on the entrance exam?” The school you chose to go is very prestigious. It was the best way to work towards that future of becoming a doctor for yourself. However, it didn’t have an idol club and you considered picking a different school for her sake. Not to mention that she most likely couldn’t make it to that school.

“Don’t worry about that.” The words she said back then echoed through your mind. “No matter what happens, as long as we’re together. We can do anything…” You didn’t understand why she’d be willing to such a sacrifice just for you. It clearly would’ve made her job harder. How could she be an idol without a club to help?

But she wasn’t wrong when she said you both could do anything. No matter the challenge you’ve ran into her, she always looked at them with a smile. It was only at the thought of losing you, that she wavered.

“You worked so hard for my sake, and I’ve always tried to work hard for you…” You continue. “You mean so much to me. Don’t ever say that you’re not special, especially to me.”

“But is this really okay for us?” She asks. “I mean, we’ve known each other for so long now.”

“You idiot.” You lightly tap her on the head, acting as if she’s hollow there. “You read too much manga.” Admittedly, you’re also guilty of thinking of the same thing. After all, there’s a reason everyone think that the childhood friend never wins.

The truth is, that despite being around longer. They have the same starting point as everyone else. The two of you are still growing up, and there’s a lot to learn about life. Especially during this delicate time of your lives. With these short teenage years, the two of you have begun to realize the differences between you.

“I don’t know if we’re there yet.” She says. “But, I feel like we’re more than just friends.”

“We’re something... special.” It hard to say at this point. It feels like your friendship has changed, but to what? “But, I don’t know how to explain it.”

“Then…” She take both of your hands, interlocking the fingers. When she does so, you feel something in your heart. Is this what… “We’ll find out. Together.”

“Right, together.” You respond with a smile. When you finish your sentence, she responds in a way that surprises you. Maybe it even surprised her a little. Maremi leans into you, pushing your hands aside. Then, she lands a kiss on your lips.

“Right here…” She says once the kiss is done. “This will always be our special place.”

Announcement

Thanks so much for the people who voted on this story. It means so much for the ones that have helped guide this story and supported me. I know that there’s so many plot threads left out at this point, and in a sense, the story may not be over.

I’m so sorry, but I’m not sure how much longer something like this can sustain due to little interaction. That’s not to be ungrateful for the ones that have been there and voting. In fact, special thanks to Issei and MasterHiatus for being there from the start and giving your input. I’m apologize that I can’t give you both more story, especially with what wasn’t learned about the other girls. However, I don’t want to leave with an incomplete story, and I do think this makes for a decent ending point. I hope you enjoyed it for what it was.

Personally, I liked the idea with how the story turned out. Obviously, I’m biased because I’m the author. But I like the idea of childhood friends realizing how important they are to each other. Coming to learn about their own feelings, that they didn’t know were there.

Again, thanks to everyone that helped make this story a thing. And for those who are reading this well into the future. Thank you for putting in the time to read my story.

2