41. Grapefruitade
234 7 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the morning, Oliver makes sure to send Robin a message.

Oliver Campbell: Morning! Happy pre-birthday! ❤️

Robin Quan: haha, thanks. Have a good day ❤️ And have fun at your poetry night.

Oliver Campbell: We’ll see…Will you be around a bit later tonight?

Robin Quan: Maybe 😏

Oliver Campbell: 🥺🥺

Robin Quan: Are you asking for a reward after attending?

Oliver Campbell: Weeeeeeelllll…

Oliver grins at the messages, typing increasingly ridiculous replies.

*

Nostalgic familiarity settles in Oliver’s chest when he heads to the club for the poetry night.

Avery waves their hand upon spotting him. “It’s been so long,” they say, “come sit with us!”

“Heading to the bar first,” he tells them. At the bar, he grabs a nonalcoholic grapefruitade.

By the time he has his drink, Avery has shoved another table to extend an amalgamation of smaller tables. He takes a seat next to Avery, dropping a “Thanks.”

“It’s been really long,” they say, flipping pink hair out of their eyes. “We’re glad you could make it.”

Oliver’s smile is a touch sardonic as he also nods to Kyle, Anderson, and Nina who are all a few seats away, and outside of talking-distance in the noise of the club.

Oliver takes a sip of his drink. The grapefruitade is a little bitter, somewhat sweet, and fizzy in his mouth.

Avery prompts some small conversation about recent music events, and then the poetry showcase begins. It’s nostalgia times ten. He wonders how he was ever as young as the people on stage. He shakes his head and grins along with everyone else at the last, rather explicit, poem. The speaker bows extravagantly and jumps down to kiss their lover to everyone’s applause.

“Speaking of partners, on this table, we don’t know about you,” Avery says, eyes dancing. “Not that you have to answer—”

Oliver glances at Kyle, who makes a face and shrugs one shoulder. Looking back to the rest of the group, Oliver reveals, “I’m officially off the market. My boyfriend makes the best desserts.”

Bright smiles and grins erupt around the table, and Oliver gladly accepts all the well-wishes.

“Ey, do you think we could have some of your boyfriend’s desserts?” someone calls out.

Oliver clears his throat. “Actually, he has a shop. It’s called Matcha & Milk.”

“What, really?!”

“I know that place!”

More than one person takes out their phone.

“The desserts and drinks look really pretty.”

“They’re really that good,” Oliver says proudly.

“Ohmygod,” Avery says, staring at their phone. “They have a new rainbow drink? That’s so gay.”

“Wait, really?” Oliver quickly opens up Matcha & Milk’s page himself, and indeed, the most recent post is advertising it as a new menu item starting next week.

“It looks so good,” Avery gushes.

Oliver can’t help but grin. “Yep, it does.”

“You’ve had it?”

“Yep,” Oliver says smugly.

“Boyfriend benefits,” Kyle quips. “He’s given you a sweet tooth.”

“Hey, no shade,” Avery admonishes. “We’ll have to check it out.”

Oliver hums with pride and happily encourages them.

*

As the night deepens, someone suggests a round of drinks. Oliver glances at the time on his phone, though, and shakes his head. He stands up. “I should get going now. It was great seeing everyone.”

He gives a series of farewells, but as he makes to leave, Kyle hurries after him, quickly followed by Nina and Anderson.

Oliver exits the club first, exhaling. The air is cold, and under the bright lights, his breath is condensing into a fine mist. He turns round to face them, stomach tight, hands in his pockets. “What is it?”

Nina steps up first. “Oliver. I’m sorry for my inappropriate comments relating to your relationship with Robin. Robin seems to be a hard worker, and your reduced contact with us isn’t really about Robin, but about...us. We’re sorry we made you feel like hanging out with us was a chore. I hope we can put this behind us and move forward, and hang out in the future. I hope you accept my apology, but I understand if you don’t.”

Her words are smooth and formulaic, and Oliver finds himself easily enough saying, “I accept.”

Not because Nina’s words are so earnest that it softens Oliver’s heart, but because...when Nina said hanging out with us is a chore, Oliver realises that it’s true.

He has moved on from Nina and the others. They’re moving in separate circles, along different paths. It costs him virtually nothing to accept her apology.

“Thank you.” Nina steps back and gives Kyle a meaningful look.

Oliver also looks at Kyle, whose jaw is tightening, hands clenching, eyes on Oliver. Like a misbehaved person who doesn’t want to say sorry, but is trying to communicate it telepathically.

I’m sorry,” Anderson’s voice breaks the silence.

Kyle startles. “What?”

“You were uncomfortable,” Anderson says softly to Oliver. “But I didn’t help you out. Kyle is my best friend... But you’re my friend too. I was complicit. In the future, I will try harder to speak out.”

Oliver, after recovering from the surprise of hearing so many words from Anderson, nods. “Okay.”

“Why did you say that?” Kyle demands of Anderson, looking really guilty. “It’s not your fault…”

“I was part of the problem.”

Kyle’s shoulders slump. He exhales, and turns to Oliver, and his words come out in a rush. “Oliver. Sorry. I wish you were back in the band with us. But it’s clear that you’re doing better than us. You even have a steady boyfriend, but that’s not a good excuse.”

“I’m not stopping you,” Oliver points out. “We’re all old enough to have steady partners.”

“Yeah, well,” Kyle scuffs his feet, glances at Anderson, and says, “Anyway. Whatever. Sorry. Can we go out for lunch some day you’re free?”

Oliver remains silent.

“I won’t make any jokes about Robin! And—and I won’t force you to eat spicy stuff...Please?”

Oliver sighs. “Alright. I’ll hold you to that.”

Kyle winces. “Yeah. Okay. Anyway. And we should get together to jam at least once, just like the old days.”

“Hm,” he says noncommittally. “Don’t be afraid of changing your sound, or doing something different.”

“I suppose…”

Oliver looks at all three of his old friends, and says decisively, “I’ll see you later, yeah?”

“Have a good night,” Nina says.

“Yeah, what she said,” Kyle adds.

He gives them a farewell and walks away.

*

Kyle’s eyes linger on Oliver’s receding back. Like a chapter in his life has closed. There is no going back to what they had before. While Kyle had been messing around Oliver had gone and become decently famous and found a proper boyfriend too.

There is definitely jealousy in his gut.

Nina sighs. “That went well,” she says, sarcasm in her voice. “Damn it, I need a girlfriend. Well, I’m heading back inside. You boys have a good night.” She heads back in.

Anderson looks at Kyle.

“It’s fine,” Kyle says, answering Anderson’s unspoken question.

“Pizza?” Anderson asks.

Kyle blinks. “Yeah.” That’s exactly what he wants. He can already imagine it, topped with all the salami and jalapenos.

Together, Kyle and Anderson start off towards their favourite pizzeria.

“I can just make new friends, you know,” Kyle mutters to Anderson.

Anderson nods..

Kyle huffs and lengthens his stride. Anderson easily keeps up with his longer legs.

“Yeah. It’s fine,” Kyle says. Probably better for them to separate from Oliver. And you know what? Kyle’s going to do better and grow and be just as successful as Oliver, let’s see how Oliver likes him then!

*

Meanwhile, Oliver’s forgotten about his old friends, and is only thinking what he can do to please his best boyfriend.

 

 

 

Mini theatre:
No one: ..
Oliver: Robin is the best!

13