To The Capital (2)
3.8k 10 110
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While walking towards the front of the castle with a carefree smile, I suddenly felt despising gazes coming from behind me.

"Hey, look. Isn't that the freeloading leecher? What's he doing now?"

One of the maids said in a low tone but loud enough for me to hear. Are you openly mocking me? 

"I think he's going to go with Ms. Alice and Ms. Kari on the trip into the city."

The maid's coworker said.

"Really? I thought he would hold himself up in his room. That's what he's usually been doing."

"He might be planning something shady."

"I agree. Have you also heard about him blackmailing…."

I didn't bother to hear the rest of their conversation because I've gotten too far away but I could guess the rest. Sigh, being labeled as a freeloading leecher is sad... Just kidding! The worse my reputation is, the easier it is to move around. 

Nobody wants to pay attention to a scumbag.

Besides, I bet their whole attitude towards me would do a 360-degree turn if they knew what I was teaching the prince of Talius and it's two heroes. But since I don't want to get noticed, I'm quite content with how things currently stand.

Upon arriving at the front of the castle, I spot Alice and Kari waiting for me. Seeing them dressed in casual clothes made me stop in my steps and take in their beauty. It was quite refreshing to see them in different clothing compared to their usual attire that consisted of armor and an armor-plated skirt.

"What are you staring at?"

Breaking me from my trance, Alice asks with a smile. Ah so beautiful.

"Me? I'm staring at two beautiful women so beautiful that they could put Vogue models to shame."

Looking at the two, I complimented earnestly. No matter what these two wear they'll always look like models, especially Alice.

"You're quite the smooth talker aren't you? Look you're making Alice blush with happiness here."

"Yeah, you're the one to talk, Kari! Your face is as red as mine."

Hearing me compliment them on their beauty, the two happily smile and pick on one another. That’s best friends for you.

"So, are you guys ready?"

I ask. This is their first time going to a city in this world. I'm sure they're excited about it. At least their first visit would be to a whole city! My first visit was a city in nothing but shambles.

...Thinking about it now, isn’t this is hero discrimination?

They get to sleep in soft beds while in a castle, enjoy the luxuries of royalty, get training from the nation’s elite, and can carefreely visit a city.

Yep, I can confidently say, this is discrimination.

"Yep, we're ready to go."

"Yeah, I'm excited to visit my first city in another world."

With nothing but the excitement in their eyes, the two walked towards the castle entrance with me in tow. But on the way there we meet a reddish brown-haired young man dressed in knight armor. 

And judging by the faint hint of disgust in both Alice and Kari's expression, this must be Renaldo Yulsten. Otherwise, I doubt they’d give a random person that look.

"Ah, what a coincidence to meet up with Ms. Alice and Ms. Kari hello.”

Renaldo greeted with a smile as he placed his hand over his chest and politely bowed. This isn't a coincidence you stalker and slanderer! 

Judging by how well he handles himself this guy is a natural-born lady killer. And due to being this way, he thinks he's better than most. 

He didn't even bother looking my way as he was greeting the two, his eyes were steadily staring at Alice and Kari. Within those eyes, I saw hints of lust and perversion behind them but they were quickly hidden.

He's as Alice described him to be, a dog in heat. He thinks he can hide the lust in his eyes but as a fellow man, I can see it plain as day….In other words, he's an enemy.

"Nice to meet you again."

"Likewise."

Alice and Kari introduced themselves in a calm and composed manner. It seems that they're not affected by this guy's charm. Seeing them like this made the pretty boy do a light cough and continues his act. That's what you get pretty boy!

“Are you heading into the capital?”

“Yes, it’s our first time going there so we’re a little excited. My name is Marcus by the way. It’s a pleasure to meet you. What’s your name?”

Before he could even have a chance to talk to Alice and Kari, I stood in front of them and raised my hand for a handshake, and introduced myself. Don’t think you can just ignore me and talk to the beautiful ladies.

Can’t you tell they don’t like you?

As their friend and teacher, I’ll happily become a shield and rain on this pretty boy’s parade!

“... Hello, my name is Renaldo Yulstein.”

Trying his best to hide his disdain, Renaldo reached out and shook my hand. And the moment he grabbed it, my hand suddenly felt like it was in a vice grip.

You wanna play that game, do you? Fine. You’re on!

“You got quite the grip there. I can see you’re a man of great confidence.”

I said leisurely with a smile as I matched his grip strength. Does he seriously think this could hurt me?

“The same could be said to you as well. You have a strong and firm shake.”

A little bit of surprise could be seen in his eyes as he replied smiling. He then proceeded to add more strength to his grip. 

“I appreciate the compliment. Also, I’d like to say I’m sorry for disrespecting your father. Because I was angry, I overreacted a little and roasted him. Tell him I apologize.”

Matching his grip strength before slowly increasing mine to crush his hand, I said. I wasn’t sincere though. Not that I care if he notices it or not.

“...I will. My father doesn’t hold it over you. He’s a magnanimous man with a big heart.” 

Heh, he’s big alright. I bet he can’t even see his feet.

Sweat slowly starting to appear on his face, Renaldo said with a cramped smile. What’s the matter? Is the grip getting too strong for you?

" if you'll now excuse me. I have important matters to attend to." 

“Okay. We won’t hold you up then.”

Letting go of his hand that I was on the borderline of crushing, I said with a smile.

“Haha, I hope you enjoy your visit to the capital.”

Discreetly opening and closing his hand to ease the pain, Renaldo smiles and proceeds ahead of us in the name of 'important matters’. That retreat was lame.

"Pfft!"

After he was out of our sight, Alice and Kari suddenly burst into laughs.

"What?"

I asked while looking at them puzzled. 

"Haha, it's nothing. It's just, it's just, hahaha..."

 

Kari was hunched over holding her sides as she laughed and Alice was covering her mouth as she had tears in her eyes.

What's so funny?

"You had a look of jealousy written all over your face. The moment that he introduced himself you immediately became hostile. It's like a dog trying to protect his bone. Haha..."

Those two continue to laugh hard. Was I unconsciously showing aggression? I don’t like the guy sure but I doubt I would blatantly show it. 

Even if I was...

"Marcus? Where are you going? A-are you embarrassed?"

"I'm not going to stay here and be laughed at! I'll be in the carriage!"

"Ah, we're sorry Marcus! We didn't mean to...Haha!"

From behind me, I could hear the two laugh even harder. Oh, just you wait you two I'll get my revenge for picking on me!

While ignoring those two who were picking on me due to jealousy, we got into the inconspicuous carriage that was ready for us and headed towards the royal capital.

***

"Wow! This city looks amazing!"

" I know right? It looks just how the mangas showed them to be! Look! Beastkin!"

“They got cat ears!”

Alice and Kari said with gasps of surprise and excitement as we entered the royal capital from the castle.

Like how cities are shown in history books, this city was built similar to a medieval city.  Except many things associated with fantasy are here, such as people with animal features walking around. It's quite refreshing coming back to a world like this after spending a few years in an advanced society.

"Hey, where should we visit first?"

I asked the two who were acting like pre-schoolers going on their first field trip as we stepped off the carriage. We weren't worried about people noticing us since the public only knew Alice and Kari's names and not their faces. King Paul wanted them to be fully trained before they make an official debut. 

So, other than having to change their names, they wouldn't be easily recognized as heroes.  

Alice is now Celia and Kari is now Kira.

"Let's go get something to eat."

Kari pointed at a nearby food stall that was selling skewered beef. 

"Alright. Let's go then."

We head towards the stall. As we got closer, the delicious smell of roasted meat drifted into our noses.

"How much for one?"

Kari asked the cook while looking at the beef kabobs hungrily.

"2 coppers."

"Okay. I'll give you six. That should be enough for three right?"

Kari takes out six copper coins from her pouch. These two received their money from their teachers so that they could spend it in the city.

As for me, I was flat out broke. I was offered or given any money whatsoever. 

The only source of money I have is what I got from Prince Leonard and it’s being stashed away in my room. I’m using it as my funds for when I start traveling the world. 

Sigh, I should’ve asked King Paul for a pouch of coins before we left. It feels weird being the only one who doesn't have any money.

"Yep. Here you go."

"Thanks." 

"Have a nice day."

 Kari hands me and Alice a kabob. Not standing on ceremony, I take a bite out of it.

... Mmm, tasty.

"Wow! This world’s street food is good!"

Kari said as she swallows the final piece of meat on her kabob. S-so fast! Did she inhale all that meat?

"It is quite tasty. But since you are done with yours, do you want mine?"

Alice offers Kari her half-finished Kabob. 

"Don't give it to her. If you start giving her things she'll think it's okay to ask for more. Instead, give it to me."

Before Kari had a chance to reply, I already reached out and grabbed the kabob from Alice's hand. This kabob is mine!

"What? You're one to talk! Who was it that bought the kabobs? Huh?"

“...”

Hearing her make a sound argument about being the one who bought the kabob, I couldn't refute. 

"Hmph! That's what I thought. Now, give it to me."

However, that doesn't mean I'm going to give it to her.

"Wah! You damn bastard! How dare you act like you were going to give it to me but eat it instead. You're shameless!"

"Hah?! Says the girl who would tire herself out on purpose just so I would use [Revitalization] on her. What're you an M?"

Usually, when Alice and Kari visit my room, they are very tired, especially Kari. I would use [Revitalization] on them to make sure they'll be able to have a good night's rest and be energetic in the morning. After all, learning swordsmanship can take a toll on you.

I didn't think of it at first but after a while, Kari's fatigue started to seem unnatural. She would be extra tired on the days she had night classes in my room. When I asked Alice why she said that Kari would do it so that she could get a 'reward'

It didn't take long to realize what that 'reward' was. 

This girl was treating me as her exclusive masseuse!

 

I didn't say anything about it since I didn't want to embarrass her. And I didn’t particularly mind because the more effort she puts into her swordsmanship, the better her chances of surviving battle are. 

But now I changed my mind. I want to see her face become redder than a tomato!

"T-that's not true!"

"Sure it isn't. Treating me like your personal masseuse despite not paying me. Ain't that right Ali- er I mean Celia? Agh!"

"Haha, that's what you get for picking on me! I knew Celia was a true frie- Agh!"

"You two need to know the time and place to do such things!"

Before me and Kari could react, Alice, with an embarrassed face, delivered two fists into both of our sides. Our little fight over the kabob drew curious eyes our way.

“S-sorry. But can you please watch the ribs? Although the bones mended, they're still tender from the other nights training.”

Leaving the area while rubbing her side, Kari said with a tensed expression. 

The reason for her injury was simple.

I was the one that caused it. A strong kick to her side when she let her guard down resulted in cracked ribs and a fractured forearm. 

The training I put them through is fundamentally different from what people in the castle teaches. They teach them orthodox methods on how to fight and how to uphold their countries honor as they're the ones representing them.

When Alice and Kari participate in mock battles in the training area of the castle, the instructors do their best to defeat them without hurting them too badly.

In other words, they use kitty gloves when teaching them. They fear that severely injuring them would affect their training progress.

I, on the other hand, was different.

The ultimate goal of my training for them is to survive and navigate the battlefield with extreme precision. If possible, I want them to leave the battlefield the same way they came in. 

To do that, they must first learn how to take a hit. Therefore, having broken bones, fractures, cuts, and bruises are required. 

It may seem cruel but I can't have them running around crying just because they got a broken arm or a cut finger.   

“I’m surprised that it’s only sore. It seems that your use of [Revitalization] is improving. Congratulations.”

I was praised.  

While I used [Revitalization], I simultaneously taught them how to use it. I had them concentrate on the flow of mana as it moved through their body towards their injuries. 

To supplement their mastery over [Revitalization], I also had them try and heal any minor injuries they may have gotten while training such as bruises and cuts.

After all, there's no better teacher like experience.

"Although I'm a little happy to hear that, I fear that something even more harrowing is gonna come my way."

Kari said with a pained smile as she looked at me. Taking a bite from my kabob, I shrugged my shoulders and said.

"Who knows. If you keep your guard up and not gloat because you hit me, you wouldn't end up like that."

"Or maybe if you pull your punches, I won't get hurt as much. Me and Celia are beautiful maidens, you know? How can you be so barbaric?"

Kari then hugs Alice tightly and looks at me. Showing a bitter smile, I said.

"It's not like I enjoy doing that. I only do it because I want you guys to live. Besides, you two chose this."

"I know we chose this but can I at least complain? Getting punched by you hurts… Hey, can I ask a question?"

"Shoot."

"What'd you do if we didn't want to become heroes?"

"What do you mean?"

"Exactly as I said. What would you do if we said no to becoming heroes?"

"I've been meaning to ask this too. I just never had time because of our schedule."

Kari, followed by Alice said as they stared at me, waiting for an answer.

It was on their mind this much, huh?

Hmm, if they didn't want to become heroes…

"I'd take you with me on a trip around the world."

I said simply.

"Really?!"

"Eh? That's it?"

When I finished answering, I received two different responses. Alice's was one of surprise and excitement while Kari's was that of lackluster and disappointment.

"What do you want me to say? Unlike you guys who can enjoy walking the streets of the royal capital, I wasn't able to in the past. I was so busy fighting Denoria that I didn't even get a chance to travel to this world's tourist hotspots."

The only hotspots I went to were war zones. And let's just say, the people weren't friendly.

"It may seem plain and simple to you but to me, it's a much-needed vacation. Being summoned back here gave me a chance to leisurely travel. I'm not missing this! So if you guys didn't want to become heroes, I would take you along with me."

Meeting beauties, getting money, and living peacefully. These are my reasons for traveling… Well, it's more about meeting pretty ladies. 

I won't tell them, more specifically, Alice this though. Although it's not prominent, Alice has a mean jealous streak.

"...Did you say something rude about me just now?"

Giving me an annoyed glare, Alice asked, to which I staunchly denied. 

Damn, a woman's intuition is sharp!

110