B1 — 18. Testing the Water
178 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Helena felt like she was floating in a warm pool of water.  Why do I feel this good?  She stretched as far as she could extend, feeling soft welcoming fabric rub against her skin. The strong scent of mint floated around the room as air circulated in a faint current, she could taste the dryness of the lukewarm atmosphere.  Her muscles didn’t pain her at all. The burn they left was enjoyable as if they hadn’t been worked in weeks.

Sighing in bliss, she opened her eyes and stared at the blue ceiling.  Several clouded panels were spaced across it, showing faded purple light.  It seemed to cast a soft glow that lit the room but didn’t hurt her eyes. Regulated ultraviolet lights?

Blinking away sleep, she rubbed her eyes and shifted her head on fluff that she seemed to melt into.  The wall to the left was yellow. It had a door attached to its right side and a full desk with a mirror in the center.  To the right side of the wall was an elaborate full body length mirror.

Turning her head again, she found the wall to the right, violet.  It also had a door to the left side. However, the rest of the wall was filled with abstract paintings that Helena surprisingly found a mathematical pattern.

Arching her back, she experienced several cracks in her spine and slid out of bed.  She noticed her bare skin with shock. All the cuts and bruises along her legs were healed; showing natural sun-kissed medium tone skin that reflected the faint purple light above.  My body was in an abhorrent state … but I feel completely fine.

Placing her feet on the soft absorbent carpet, she made her way to the body sized mirror.  Reached it, she froze. Her red diamond inlaid earrings and bracelet shimmered back at her through the dim violet overhead lights.

Every cut, bruise, and even my teeth have somehow been healed, not replaced, but real white teeth are gleaming in my mouth.  Both my adult Central Incisors on the top and bottom are fully developed. One of my lower Lateral is coming in as well.

Running her tongue over her teeth, she found them perfect.  They’re even more flawless than before and every scar I’ve ever received is gone, even the ones I got with Drake.  Did Kara have this done for me?

Taking a few minutes to inspect herself, she found not a single imperfection remained on her body.  Finished, she bent down and unclasped the bracelet around her ankle, replacing it on her wrist. Again, that feeling when I took it off.  Is my body just used to the metallic feel or is there a reason for it?

Putting the thought away, she turned back to the room and examined the abstract paintings against the purple wall.  Walking to the furthest painting to the right, she inspected it with more detail. The multitude of different shapes held a subtle geometric formula.  By taking in all of the angles, dimensions, and degrees with their distance, she could work out an algorithm.

Shocked, she realized it was a key component used for specific analysis in active electroreception, but it was slightly abstracted from her normal formula.  She’d never implemented this particular function into her calculations. It looked simple, but also held a strange complication in contrast; it had a strange addition that added different frequency settings.

Moving to the next painting, she studied its design.  She marveled at the complexity of the formula as she worked through cracking it.  Fascinating … this one’s an ingenious algorithm for electro-stimulation.  It’s way more complex than what I’ve been using. It’s worked out almost all of the pain issues and allows for a more stable stimulus.

Staring around the room in complete captivation, she examined it more in detail.  This must be Kara’s private chambers, when did she make these paintings?  Lips pursed, she examined the wall opposite the bed.  It was green and held more paintings all along it, most likely also holding subtle meanings into the calculations of an Electro Master.  Even the soft white floor was dotted with handcrafted carpets.

Shifting her eyes to the bed, she examined its design.  It was very intricate. Helena frowned as she followed the loops and curves.  Amazed, she started to trace the angles with her eyes and calculate the degrees.  It took her a moment to examine just a small piece of the bed, but it checked out.  Even her bed had multiple algorithmic formulas worked into it and even more, it seemed to be shaved by something.  Kara probably created it herself.

Helena couldn’t tell what the formula meant.  It’s complex, too complex for me to understand.  I haven’t worked out anything like this before and I don’t know its catalyst or power requirement.

Turning away from the bed, she inspected the entire room and found almost everything worked into a formula.  She marveled at Kara’s work. It’s astounding she did all of this in an articulate manner.  Was she posted at this base in her training days? Are all these pieces created to document Kara’s findings without letting anyone know?

The mattress, sheets, pillows, and blankets were all new.  Not a single speck of dust was visible. Did she prepare this room for me in advance, maybe she still lives here?

Opening the yellow wall’s door, she found it a closet.  The only clothing inside was a loose fitting purple long sleeved shirt, black tights, white socks, and shoes.  Finally, a skirt that was made of some kind of course blue material hung on a separate hanger. It’ll do.  Getting dressed, she found a piece of paper in the pocket of the skirt.  It read:

 

Hey Helena, it’s your amazing savior, HERO Kara!  ;)  

I know you must be admiring my little arts and crafts work around the room.  BE PREPARED FOR A QUIZ!!

Now get some directions to the nearest cafeteria, I have someone that’ll be waiting for you.  He’s been anticipating you for a while—as I didn’t tell him when you’d arrive. *hehehe*

Make sure you show up and greet him, he’ll be the guy trying to act cool (you know … the glasses indoors type…).

Catch you later you little Vixen!  Btw … your new handle in WITCH is Vix, you know … short for Vixen (CUTE!!  ^.^). I picked it out myself! Catchy isn’t it!!

Kisses to your beautiful little-dimpled cheeks!  Electrolight out!!

 

Helena huffed.  She’s certainly theatrical in her notes and … I don’t have dimples?

Looking into the desk’s mirror, she smiled and found dimples gleaming back at her.  Kara changed my facial structure … to show something she thought was cuter or is there a subliminal purpose?  Helena was slightly annoyed, but it did look good on her.

Looking in the desk drawer, she found a brush that seemed brand new; she quickly brushed out her tangled hair.  Her hair seemed to have been washed. Her hand hesitated as she thought back on the incident with Ventre.

Kara has a lot more power than I first thought possible and I know that wasn’t her extent.  She was too emotional to use her abilities properly, but is that normal behavior for her? In any case, I truly am out of her league … at least for the moment.

A resolve fixated in her chest.  I’ll break past Kara.  I have to if I want to escape WITCH.  I just need to figure out how.

Helena finished combing her hair and placed the brush back in the drawer, closing it.  Going over the room again, she identified every algorithm formula, but she couldn’t understand anything except the first two paintings.  I’m much further behind than I could have imagined.  She let out a breath of anxiety.  One step at a time.

Exiting the room, she asked the nearest person for directions.  Finding her way to the cafeteria, she looked for Kara’s contact.  There were quite a few people spaced around the room, only three tables were free.  However, she easily identified her associate.

Orange tinted aviator framed glasses were perched on his sharp nose and his black slicked back hair had at least half a grease bottle dumped into it.  He had a black collared button-up long-sleeved shirt that had the first two buttons undone, showing his tanned skin and displaying a gold chain. His sleeves were rolled up, showing an HCID on his left wrist and a dark brown wood bead bracelet on his right.

He must spend most his time in the southern hemisphere.  His shirt dropped to his pockets, but the front portion of his button-up was tucked into his shirt, showing his belt buckle.  It showed the design of two waves, an ocean pattern. His dark blue course pants weren’t too tight, but fairly slim. They ended at his pointed brown boots that were made of some scaled beast.

Five o’clock shadow was evident on his gruff face as he turned to stare at her in the doorway.  His square jaw showed a broad smile that framed his face. Thin lips turned into a grin and his thick black eyebrows lifted.  Helena walked over to his table and he watched her approach in silence. Her reception picked up most the room staring at her.  I’m of evident interest.

The man leaped out of his chair as Helena neared, moving around the table, he pulled the chair out for her.  Helena took the seat, smoothing her skirt under her and closing her legs. She sat as straight as she could manage in the large lightly cushioned wood chair.

Her hair began to vale a part of her vision.  She tossed it back, out of her face and smoothed it behind her ears to keep it out of the way then placed her left hand just above her knees.  She felt the strong force of the man’s muscles scoot it back in and he quickly took his seat again. He smiled down at her with shining perfect teeth.

Helena hummed for a moment before breaking the hushed atmosphere.  “How long have you been waiting?”

“Don’t you worry that pretty blonde head of yours, little lass.”  The man said while leaning back and throwing his arm around the back edge.  “I’d wait an age. After all, the Boss ordered it.” He had an odd drawl to his voice that Helena hadn’t heard before.

She hummed again as she examined the men and women moving around the room.  There were butlers and maids of some kind taking food orders. They were moving from table to table, delivering food and receiving orders.  Is this how all of WITCH’s cafeterias run?  It reminds me a little of the manor.

Her mind turned to Emeldra, her personal maid that had taken care of her since she was brought to the Estate at the age of two.  A ping struck her stomach as the homesick feeling came and faded. This is where I live now; I can’t regret what I’ve lost.

Exploring the interior again, she noticed that most the people around her had a demeanor of higher standing.  Each man and woman put off an air of superiority.

“Don’t you seem like the proper little lass and your jewelry makes you seem slightly older.”  The man commented with a chuckle. Helena cocked her head with confusion. Why would he say that?  “Oh, sorry,” he sheepishly took out a comb and ran it through his hair, “I don’t see many ladies besides the Boss sit like that.”

Helena frowned.  “This is how I was taught.”

Silence followed for several seconds, the man shifting uncomfortably in his chair.  Extending her left hand across the table as best she could, she said. “I’m Helena, it’s a pleasure.”  The man fumbled with his hands as he took hers lightly. His rough fingers brushed against Helena’s smooth skin.  A physical man, what does he do to keep these calluses?

He stuttered.  “Ye-yeah, pleasure and all—I’m Bolisquirantis … but the Boss calls me Booker.”  A very long name, where’s he from?

Withdrawing her hand, Helena asked.  “Did Kara leave me a message?”

Booker leaned back in his chair, seeming to regain his composure.  He pursed his thin lips together. “Well—basically, she told me to answer any question the lass had.”

Examining the butlers and maids walking around the room Helena asked.  “This dining area is for higher ranking members of WITCH?”

“Yup, well—kind of.  I don’t know if you could call some of these scavengers, higher ranked, just SOP.  Some of these crawl fish here only want to check you out, little lass. Stake out the competition and all.”

“Then there’s some kind of contest that I’m apart of?”

“You could say that,” Booker said but cut off as a butler came to their table.

“What will you two have?”

Booker waved his left hand.  “Just water for me.”

“What do you have?”  Helena asked a rumble emanating from her stomach, resisting a blush.  Booker interjected. “Oh, for the little lass, my Boss ordered a full course meal, the special.”

Helena didn’t argue, nodding to the butler.  He left hurriedly for the kitchen almost as if he’d been whipped.  “The Boss has a special reputation here,” Booker explained with a frown at the butler who disappeared around the back corner.

“Because she was stationed here for a while?”  Helena asked.

“Pick up quick, don’t you,” Booker said with a laugh, “There’s more to it.  One of the staff here was told to poison the Boss at one point and somehow she knew it was tampered with, killed the person that ordered it a moment later.”

“She knew who ordered the food poisoned?”  Helena asked.

“Guess so,” Booker shrugged, “a lot of mystery surrounding the Boss.  One of the biggest is her hatred toward swearing.”

She thought back to the room incident with Ventre.  Kara notably changed when she saw Ventre’s belt undone and mentioned rape.  After that, she lost control of her actions and reacted on some past memory.  It’s less of a mystery than Booker thinks and with the swearing … it must have been used in the process, profusely.  It looks like it’s had a lasting psychological effect on her. I know Ventre held some authority and Kara made some very serious threats before she killed him.  She decided to bite directly.  “What happened to Ventre?”

Helena’s caught several people’s eyes switch to their table.  Our conversation is being noted and this subject seems to be a hot topic.

“No, no, little lass!”  Booker whispered with a worried expression.  “You can’t be saying that. The Boss’ already killed fifteen people around the base.  It’s blacklisted.” Kara didn’t go back on her word.  She’d drive Ventre out of this existence, certainly intense.

“What kind of person is Kara?”  Helena thoughtfully asked Booker.

“Hm—well, the Boss is true to her word and takes good care of us.  She can be blunt and dangerous once crossed. Whatever you do, don’t swear around her or you’ll feel the pain, even in the unit.  Honestly, we have it better than any other faction, in my opinion. Some of those Primes can be,” he cut off with a glare around the room and lowered his voice, “a bit sadistic, even to their own faction.”

She frowned as she studied all the other groups inside the cafeteria.  Are all these other factions then?  It’ll be important to understand each one.  I have so much to learn it seems.

6