B1 — 29. Personal Lesson
152 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Helena jolted as a high pitched sound screeched through her mind. It only lasted a millisecond, but it completely slammed her mind out of its REM state. She heard a groan and something squeeze around her stomach. Her back pressed up against something soft. Looking around, Helena found Belesis’ arms wrapped around her torso, pulling her into her body and her head rested next to hers. How long has she been cuddling up to me?

Trying to break free from Belesis’ grip, she found it impossible. The hold was loose enough to breathe but too firm to slip through. bunching her lips, she gently shook Belesis. “Belesis, I need to get up.”

Shifting her weight, Belesis slowly opened her eyes. Helena gave a squeak of surprise as Belesis’ muscles constricted, pressing her body against her chest. Confusion crossed Belesis’ face as she stared into Helena’s reflected eyes.

Breaking her grip, Helena felt Belesis’ powerful arms slide under her as she bolted upright, a flush coming across her face. She bowed as she knelt on the edge of the bed. “I apologize, Lady...”

“No need.” Helena wheezed. “You’ve healed my body three times now and I have yet to repay you in any way. Please, sharing my bed with you is but a trifle. In fact, I enjoy your company.”

Emphatically Belesis said. “There’s no need for you to compliment me on something that comes naturally to me. It’s just something I’m good at … my niece once told me that my ability should be used to help serve and I need to find someone to give those talents to. Although—my personality can turn people away.”

“A wise course of action,” Helena said as she lay in bed, rubbing her side. “If one is not to serve themselves then the next course of action is to serve a duty, partake in a cause.”

“Of course, Lady Helena—but what if someone hates you for who you are?” Belesis asked, a slight tremble running across her body and down the bed frame.

Stretching, Helena thought for a moment. It’s an interesting question and has a multitude of varying answers. “I would say, you can’t please everyone and it’s difficult to change something that’s a part of you. Those in power are meant to rule, but must recognize and compensate for their subjects faults.”

“What if it’s me at fault—I try to make them happy, but still, they don’t like me.”

Helena huffed. “Why wouldn’t they like you?”

“Because—I talk in crisscrosses ... positive and negative statement. I try to use neutral comments, but it seemed they also don’t enjoy bland people.”

Helena lifted from the bed and tightened the robe around her waist. She has to be talking about Booker, but I think she’s getting the wrong opinion of him, which is strange since she’s a Biokinetic. Maybe she hasn’t the courage to touch him and find out if he feels the same. He may have someone he likes back at New Genesis, but I definitely saw some kind of chemistry between them.

Thinking a moment on an answer, she hesitantly said, “Sometimes—we can fool ourselves into thinking correlation equals causation. Your perception might differ from what reality reflects. Take a different angle on the subject.”

Belesis’ looked somewhat doubtful, but said, “It’s a possibility.”

Stretching, Helena hopped out of bed. She walked to the closet, moving around Belesis, who was standing beside the bed, stretching. She checked the time on her HCID and found it still early, ten o’clock. Kara gave me some time … but for what? She’s very precise with timing, there must be a reason.

Her eyes glanced back at Belesis, who was shifting nervously beside the bed, staring at the messy coverings. It’s a harsh truth. If you’re in the service of an unseeing lord there’s little to do, but bare it. However, if she’s talking about Booker, then there’s hope for her yet. “How are you feeling?” Helena asked.

Belesis jumped as she returned from her internal thoughts. “I feel fantastic, Lady Helena, I had a wonderful rest—which your dangerous actions with that hateful woman caused.”

Hateful woman, it’s an improvement from the animal names she’s been giving Kara. “Why do you hate Kara?” Helena asked.

Belesis was silent for several seconds as Helena sorted through the closet. Hesitantly, she asked. “Do I have to answer?”

“No,” Helena responded, “you don’t have to tell me anything you don’t feel comfortable with. You’re a General; you don’t really have to do anything you don’t like.”

“Thank you, Lady...”

Helena sharply cut her off. “Also, you can quit calling me Lady. My first name will suffice, I’m in your debt and you’re my superior. Also, I’ve been taught that Vandreds always pay their debts, so I must find a suitable tribute.” Even if the Vandred image isn’t exactly how I first imagined … some of our principles are good … in practice.

“Thank you—Helena.” She said it awkwardly as if tasting it on her tongue. She must have been in service to a Noble House before WITCH snatched her up. She has strong roots in servant formality. If she wishes to act Noble then what’s the harm. She may not be a Noble, but in WITCH she might as well be. An environment where the strong trample the weak, I’ve grown up in an environment such as that. However, the strong was determined by blood. Not raw power, but in WITCH it’s the opposite. I am the weak one and these are my betters. Like Eizea said … I must adapt.

Picking out a white close fitting t-shirt, course blue pants that ended at the shins, white ankle socks, blue flat shoes and white undergarment; she tossed them on the bed. “Belesis, wherever you came from, I assume you were considered of low standing,” Helena said with a glance at her.

Belesis nodded silently and slowly as she watched Helena with twitching fingers. She’s resisting the urge to dress me...

“Back at the Vandred Estate and in the presence of other Houses, I could be considered of higher standing. However, here in WITCH the name Vandred means little. I started at the bottom of WITCH’s poles; in comparison, it’s as if a Noble Lady or Kara has taken a liking of a specific talent I possess and offers me a chance at her side. Still, I am no more than a servant. Now, you are like a Noble, a General. It is I who has been shown unearned treatment. I am in a debt that must be earned back.”

“You are still a Noble—though stripped of your rights,” Belesis mumbled with a troubled expression.

Helena was silent for a moment as she thought. I need to steer this in a different direction. Booker’s right, she’s too soft and naive, but it can’t be helped if she was a servant. I’ll try to repay my debt by teaching her how to conduct as a Noble.

“Do you remember your first charge?” Helena asked.

Belesis shifted uncomfortably. “Yes.”

“Do you remember having that angst in your chest at wanting to switch places with that charge?”

Belesis trembled slightly but answered truthfully. “Yes.”

“Well … your dream has come true. I’m under your charge and every other SOP member in the Purists has to answer to you. You are in essence the Head of a Lesser House or Heir to a Great House. Only under that of the Great House Head, you serve. I have been given a chance to excel in WITCH’s ranks and as I have Vandred blood within me, I will accomplish these expectations.”

“You are a General and unless I gain the same title or defeat a Prime … you will always be above me, at least while I’m in WITCH. Understand?” Belesis nodded with a hard swallow. “You may treat me however you please, but it’s expected to keep an air of superiority. Nobles rule by example and so should Generals. Show your wards that they have a powerful and respectable leader.”

Belesis shifted nervously with slight tremors. “I’ve studied Noble behavior—but, I don’t know—how to act it.”

Helena smirked. Perhaps this is my first task of the day, to help Belesis with her predicament. It’s my duty as a charge. Kara may have even planned this, how does she do it?

“Very well, I’ll teach you how to be a Noble. Follow me through getting ready. Belesis started to shake her head as her tremors increased. “Yes! Until you act like a General. I’ll have to show you what is expected. Emulate me and learn.” Helena demanded.

Belesis automatically began to bow at her command, but quickly caught herself. “Please, Lad...”

“What did I tell you about my name?” Helena asked with stone in her voice.

“Please, Helena. I can’t...”

“You can and you will,” Helena ordered. “Now, where are your quarters?”

Belesis took her left arm and Helena felt a prickling as the pinkish skin was replaced with her natural color, the replacement skin filming over her pink layer. Stepping back, Helena curtsied to Belesis, who looked horrified. This is going to be tough. Helena spent the better part of an hour and a half teaching Belesis how Nobles bathe, dress, sit, eat, freshen up, and speak.

Once the time neared to meet Kara, she broke away from Belesis and followed the map on her HCID to the fifth training area. Arriving, she found Kara standing in a large rectangular room. Metal beams, scraps, and paneling were all around her.

“What’s all this for?” Helena asked as she entered.

“Odds and ends!” Kara replied with a wry smile. “How was your day with Belesis?” I was right. How does she plot these things so far in advance? I thought I excelled at planning, but Kara seems beyond genius.

“Exasperatingly difficult,” Helena replied with honestly. “What will I be learning today?”

“Let’s see your progress,” Kara said as she nodded toward the wall. Kara wants me to go up the wall? She seems rather pushy with her training. I only learned to run using electromagnetism yesterday and now she wants me to climb walls.

Moving toward the wall, she placed her foot against it and applied the fields. She felt the shift in gravity as her field reacted and her hair statically charged to her back. Placing her other foot on the wall, she stood horizontally and looked up at Kara.

“Go on, climb the wall.” Kara prompted.

Helena walked up the wall and found that it did use more energy because she was keeping the fields continually active, but it was more than bearable, it almost felt effortless. It’s just like passive to active reception. Active takes more Focus but has incredible uses at times like in the Black Box. Kara must have taken that into account when having me train at the gardens.

“Good, now run,” Kara called up to her as she reached the midsection of the wall.

Taking a deep breath, Helena started to pick up her pace, until she was at a run. It’s not as hard as I thought it would be. The only difference is keeping myself attached to the wall at all times. Continually running while using my fields yesterday was excellent practice.

Nearing the edge of the wall Kara called out. “Now leap from one wall to the other, don’t hesitate.” What! Already she wants me to do acrobatics?

Tensing, she dropped the formula from the piping in the wall. She felt her stomach clench and a dreadful tingling sensation invade her body as she was thrown away from the wall. Looking around she found herself flying through the air and for the first time, a sense of vertigo hit her as her breath caught in her throat.

The wall was racing toward her. She threw out her static field as her body hit the opposite wall. Soft sounds of crackling electricity followed her as she tumbled down the stone wall, stopping a meter from the ground; she lay against the stone, heart pounding. She took several shuddering breaths as the fear started to pass. She was staring at Kara’s lifted eyebrows two meters away.

“Really—at least you kept to the wall.” She rolled her eyes.

Helena eased her beating heart as she altered the force holding her and rose to her feet, against the wall. “Again!” Kara instructed as she walked back to the center of the room.

Inhaling deeply, Helena repositioned herself and ran across the wall. Five meters from the edge, she leaped off. Her eyes widened as she felt something enter her sensory radius. A polarized metal panel was being tossed right at her landing trajectory. It’ll land moments after I do and cut me in two! This is how Kara trains her disciples? I need to dive away, but I can’t go back, I don’t have time to turn. I need to keep going with my momentum, but I need more speed to escape!

Landing with both feet, she constricted her muscles and leaped forward. She felt the panel wiz by her legs as it slammed against the wall, the collision echoing around the room and small shards of stone pelting her back. Holding out her hands and spreading her feet, she tried to catch the wall. No, I’ve pushed out too far. I can’t get a grip on the wall again!

She shot out an electrical charge to try and hoist herself back to the wall as Kara had done. However, her charge broke halfway as her body tensed fearfully and she fell into a free fall. My fear of electrical discharges is going to kill me!

Bracing herself, she pushed a hard static charge to her back. A powerful electromagnetic field burst into existence below her and she found her back arching with the pressure as her body fought against gravity, flying upwards. I’m going too fastneed to cushion my blow!

Shifting the magnetic field to her front, she braced for impact. The shield cushioned the impact, but it also threw her back down again.

“This isn’t a game of toss-up.” Kara commented dryly from the ground. Use your field to soften the blow, while also applying another field to stick. It’s a bit more complicated, but you can manage.” The magnetic field from Kara shot her back into the air at an even greater speed.

Helena tried to manipulate the field to repel and at the exact moment. She felt her body start to shift directions as her tether applied. Breathing heavily, she felt herself hanging from the ceiling, her hands and feet touching the concrete.

“Good, but you were a bit late on that leap forward. You need to practice your timing better!” She could have killed me with that panel and she’s talking about how slow I was! Kara certainly is extreme, even more than Drake.

Her internal thoughts broke as a steel beam flew upward at her. Darting left, she found herself losing grip and quickly released the calculation on her field, sticking to the ceiling.

“No, no! What are you doing? You’re a fly stuck to a trap. Move! Keep moving!” Kara demanded.

Helena felt more pieces of metal being thrown up at her. Shifting her field on the ceiling’s internal railing, she started to dash in zigzag motions around the pieces as they smashed against the room’s ceiling and drop below. Each step felt like she was going to fall to the ground, making her stomach heave. The sound was deafening as the steel clashed against more metal pieces and slammed against stone.

The volley stopped for a moment as Kara yelled up at her. “You’re too stiff with your movements. Slid using your static cling, don’t halt your progress. Also, ionize the particles by your ears to prevent hearing loss. Sound needs something to travel through, just change the direction of the charged particles as the vibrations near.” Easier said than done!

The shower of metal continued for thirty minutes before Helena started to learn how to skim the edges of the floor, ceiling, and walls using her magnetic field as a buffer; she also started to statically charge the air near her ears and repel them to lessen the impact on her eardrums.

“Good, now you’re getting it,” Kara said with excitement. “We should pick up the pace!” What! I’m already getting physically tired from this much! Her muscles burned stiffly from continual constriction. Kara’s onslaught stopped. Looking around, Helena found Belesis enter the room.

“Belesis!” Kara exclaimed with a wide grin. “Feeling better?”

Belesis was wearing the attire they’d chosen together. A white undershirt with a light tan open overcoat, a sapphire necklace hung at her throat and course tight fitting black pants fit around her long legs. Her feet were clothed in cushion soled black flats.

“Are you training—Helena … it looks dangerous.” She stumbled across her words, but there was sharpness in them that Helena had tried to instill.

“My!” Kara said as she stared up at Helena. “You work miracles, little Vixy! I’ve been trying to get that downtrodden tone out of her for months now. Of course … she only speaks subjugated toward Nobles; she’s never showed me an ounce of respect.” She sounded slightly hurt, but soon after laughed humorously.

Helena eased her respiratory and smiled down at Belesis. “Yes, she’s doing well.”

Belesis blushed but nodded with a smile touching her lips. “I have a fantastic teacher.”

“You can help with Helena’s training, Belesis!” Kara said with a devilish grin directed at Helena. Helena felt a pin stick into her side. What’s she planning?

Belesis looked doubtful as she shifted uneasily, starting to lose her powerful posture. Kara huffed audibly. “You wouldn’t want her killed so easily in the competition? If you help her train, she’ll have greater odds in surviving the ordeal.”

Helena gulped as Belesis’ face and demeanor hardened notably. “What do I need to do?” Belesis asked.

“She’s just getting used to dodging, so you might want to keep it a little toned down. I think a new aspect will help her improve even more though!” Kara exclaimed optimistically. Kara’s even warning Belesis to go easy! What will she do?

Her eyes darted to the metal scraps as piles of metal started to levitate against Kara’s fields. Brightly, Kara stated. “A mobile Electro Master is a living Electro Master.” They started accelerating toward Helena.

Leaping out of the way of several large chunks of metal, she began to make her way to the opposite wall. She’s even started to use the thrown pieces of metal as trajectory changes, using their force to propel more artillery in different directions so I can’t read her field trajectory...

Her eyes snapped open in shock as Belesis’ bioelectrical signal leaped from a metal bar and raced straight at her. Helena slid, back skimming the ceiling as Belesis’ hands barely missed her collar. She could have gotten me. She’s just easing me into it. She’ll make it harder to dodge each time.

Helena was surprised to find Belesis’ expression had changed dramatically. Now she seemed completely absorbed with the task at hand as a fierce concentrated reflected in her passing eyes. Reflected, I kind of enjoy seeing my eyes. They do strike a Noble image.

Belesis landed on an accelerating steel panel and kicked off toward her, changing the direction of the panel as it flew sideward, toward the ceiling edge. I’m in a free fall. I can’t dodge her!

Extending an electrical tether, she latched onto a piece of metal as it flew upward two meters to her right and pulled herself to it. Belesis’ hand grazed past her face, Helena felt her skin tingle as her middle fingernail lightly slid across her cheek. I’m dead … Belesis had skin contact...

Landing on the panel, she kicked off, three meters before it hit the ceiling. Sparks of energy birthing at her hands and feet as she skidded to a stop upside-down, her breath pushing out of her lungs in short pants. I pushed my fear barrier back a little, enough to latch a tether at least...

A sharp sound of crushing stone sounded as Belesis landed on the floor, sliding to a stop. The cascade ended as Kara clapped. “Not bad, little Vixy … I mean, you died, but it was an improvement. I think it’s time to add energy redirection into the practice!” Energy redirection? One thing after another, Kara’s going to kill me before my competition even begins!

She felt the sharp pulse of electricity as her hair stood on end. From Kara’s outstretched fingers burst a jerking bolt of energy that battled its way across the air toward her. Helena quickly tried taking control over it but instead found she could only deflect the blast. The single bolt branched into several arcs, tracing across the ceiling around her, dust falling from the points of contact.

Kara hummed amusedly. “At least you were able to do something to it. You’ll continue your previous training with random strikes of energy. You better learn quick, little Vixy!” The danger escalates every second!

The dodging and deflecting procedure continued for fifteen minutes. Helena felt the headaches begin two times within that short period and Belesis gave her a pill for each instance.

“Nice, you’re finally starting to redirect the lighting instead of splitting it apart, but be wary! A higher level esper of similar abilities can counter control them, you must be firm!”

Helena dropped down to the ground, using magnetism to ease her landing. She was panting heavily and her body was covered in sweat. Her eyes were out of focus as they shifted with black spots and her mouth felt like a desert.

“Your body just can’t handle the physical drain...” Kara observed with a frown.

The silence stretched for several seconds as Helena dropped to her back, completely exhausted. Belesis handed Helena a water bottle and she downed its content. She drank too quickly and coughed, sputtering as liquid shot from her mouth across the dusty ground. Dust, broken rock, and metal were sprawled around the room and stuck out of every dimension.

Sniffing and regaining her breath, she examined the space. Who’s going to fix this?

“I think—I can help accelerate her progress...” Belesis said in a hesitant mumbled and she furrowed her brow, saying something else under her breath.

“Will it comatose you?” Kara asked with pursed lips and a lifted eyebrow.

“I don’t think so and I think I can help her more than you think—although there will be slight pain involved,” Belesis commented softly.

Looking at Belesis with a distrustful glare, Kara asked. “What do you say, Vixy?”

“It’ll—help my stamina?” Helena asked between pants as she massaged her temples.

“Yes,” Belesis answered with utter seriousness.

“I’m in your hands...”

Belesis bent down and placed her warm hand against Helena’s exposed skin around her neck. A sharp, but tingling pain erupted from her every fiber. Somehow Belesis had paralyzed her muscles; she had no control over her body. It wasn’t excruciating; she suspected Belesis was easing her nerves. In five minutes, she stopped and stepped back.

Helena breathed for a moment and found it extremely easy. Leaping up, she stretched and found herself extremely flexible, much more flexible. Each tension gave an exhilarating sensation throughout her body. “What did you do?” Helena asked, wondrously.

Kara’s tone was disapproving as she glared at Belesis’ sweat-slicked face. “The greatest gift a Biokinetic can give. Full body modification requires a lot of Focus and concentration. A simple miscalculation could have caused instant and horrific repercussions. You said it wouldn’t drain you!”

“It’s done—although, I had to go over her body three times and calculate growth.” Belesis panted and she almost collapsed, she walked to the wall and slid down its length to the floor.

Kara sniffed in disapproval. “You can’t keep exerting your body like this, Belesis.” Shifting to examine Helena’s frame thoroughly, Kara explained. “She’s made your muscles and bones denser. Also, she strengthened your veins, circulatory system, and most likely added immunity to a multitude of diseases as well.”

“That’s way too much!” Helena exclaimed as she turned to Belesis with a concerned expression. “How’s your Focus holding up?”

Kara huffed and a scowl pervaded her usually sweet looked features. “It’s not her Focus you should be worried about, but her body.”

“What do you mean?” Helena asked in concern.

“Biokinetics aren’t like most espers. They use three energy sources to accomplish their ability; Focus, mental concentration, and their own cellular structure.”

With numb realization, Helena asked. “Then—she’s been hurting herself to heal me this whole time?” The IV, the large amount of food she ate … how can I repay her service? “What can I do?” Helena asked at a loss.

“Train!” Kara huffed with a grimace. “She’s given you a very strong gift. Most have to work years to get the physique she’s given and that’s with Biokinetic aid … and yet still she managed to keep your childish appearance. She must have really gone to work on density.” It’s true, I feel lighter, but I know I must be several pounds heavier.

“You’re going to need time to adjust to your new body. That means more training and now you have the stamina to continue for a while. It’s all dependent on your Focus and you can only use one more pill in a five hour and forty-five minute period.”

Helena nodded as she ran to the wall, feeling the strength in her legs. Using her ability, she quickly scaled up to the ceiling. “Let’s get started, the competition is approaching.” I’ll try harder. I need to get stronger before the contest and to show Belesis her faith is well placed.

4