Chapter 3 – Gifts For An Angel, An Emo Brother, And A Tomboy
827 5 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Here is the next of the chapters! It is looking like I will be making one more from what I wrote yesterday. Hope you all are enjoying it!

Chapter 3 – Gifts For An Angel, An Emo Brother, And A Tomboy

Centering himself for the performance, Nick takes a deep breath before stating,

"I may have been away, but I tried to keep up on all the news I possibly could while on my travels. I hope you will all like the gifts as I thought long and hard on what to give you." He gives a bow with a flourish of his hands as he finished. Standing fully, he mades his way over to his cute little angelic sister.

"First, for you Lily." He said, crouching down so he was eye level with her across the table. "I wanted to give you something that could protect you as you grow while also allowing you to have some fun. Now, where did I put it...." He made a show of patting himself down and spinning around while hopping from foot to foot, much to Lily's delight if the giggles were any indication. "Ah! Here we go!" He said as he reached into his breast pocket where his dimensional storage opening in the jacket was. The object he pulled out was a shining, silverish metal pegasus figurine. He placed it on the floor and smiled expectantly. Lily stood up and walked around the table to look at it more closely. 

"Well? Don't embarrass me in front of my impressionable little sister Cal!" Nick said, a bit miffed at the small figurine. 

"Pretty Horse!" Lily exclaimed and reached towards the figure, before stumbling back as the figurine suddenly grew to many times its original size. Where once there was a tiny toy that could fit in her hands, now there was a giant, metallic winged Pegasus that stood taller than most warhorses. Her wings were tucked into her side but were they to unfold they would take up most of the space in this room. Most of the family around let out a surprised shout and the sound of a sword unsheathing could be heard at the entrance of the room.

Nick raised one hand placatingly and with the other, he patted the side of the massive beast. "Easy Commander, she is friendly." Turning to Lily who was staring in absolute wide, shining eyed girlish delight at the metallic creature, Nick continued, "Her name is Callista and she is the leader of the Mithril Pegasi. I rescued her and her sisters from a chest in a long-forgotten dungeon. She is going to bond to you, Lily, and protect you while being your friend from now on."

Callista turned her silvery blue eyes to me and snorted, "Why do I have to bond to this girl? Friend? Why do I need of human friends!? I would much rather serve a powerful master such as yourself!" She shook her main at this and was about to continue her tirade when the sound of a hiccuping sob could be heard. Nick and Callista turned towards the noise and saw a teary Lily who said, "You don't want to be my friend?"

If the metallic pegasus could sweat, it would be filing buckets. Callista slowly turned her eyes back to the furious glare of Nick who stated very quietly and with such pressure that even King Remington could hardly breathe, "You made my little angel cry. Do you want to spend the next hundred thousand years in the abyss of the deep ocean Callista?"

"N-No!" Callista said and turned quickly to the Lily lowering her snout to the girl's forehead. "No, it would be a great honor to serve you, Lady Lily! I would very much like to bond with you and be your very best friend!" A bright flash of light engulfed the room and as the pegasus retreated from her imminent doom and was gone once more. Lily squealed when she saw the stylish mithril full-plate armor covering her from top to bottom and she looked up to Nick with wonder and questions in her eyes. The only thing that it missed was a helmet, but that was only because Lily subconsciously didn't want a helmet messing up her hair.

"That's what I thought," Nick said looking at the armor, then turned to Lily with a smile and wiped away the tears in her eyes. The room took a collective breath as the pressure vanished and many of them exchanged glances. "Brother is scary..." Rose spoke what the whole room felt.

Moving on as if nothing had happened, Nick continued talking with Lily. "This is the protection form. Callista and her ilk can take three forms: The figurine you saw earlier, their full-body form, and this armor set form. The armor set will grow with you and always fit you perfectly and is even temperature regulated! Even I would have a tough time damaging it!... Well not really," I say with one last menacing look at Callista, "but most stong warriors and mages will not be able to." He leaned down and kissed her forehead. "You will be safe from harm and can even fly around with Callista in her full body form!" *Ahem* "Er...as long as Mothers & Father say you can." Nick looked up and smiled at his parents who were nodding in approval. "Additionally, you will need to find some true friends and allies to the kingdom and, more importantly, to yourself because I have 11 more of these to give you. I will hold on to them until you turn 16. then I will entrust them to you to give out as you see fit. Just make sure you always keep your figurine with you. Don't ever leave without it, okay?"

Giggling and giving Nick a bone-breaking hug, as the armor boosted her stats to ungodly levels, Lily announces, "I will carry her with me always. Thanks, Older Brother, I love you!" 

Iloveyou!Iloveyou!Iloveyou!Iloveyou!Iloveyou! The words echoed in Nick's head and he felt like he could die happy now.

The armor reverted to the figurine form and Lily hugged it tightly as she went back to sit down and play with her new "toy." Nick smiled after her and stood as he addressed his parents more than her for this next part.

"When she is ready to pick a class, I can give her another artifact as her weapon. She will be the safest princess in the world!"

"You have two other princess sisters..." Rose pouts. 

"And you will get your gifts soon," Nick promises. Rose nods and he turns back to the King and Queens.

"Thank you, son." The king says solemnly and bows his head slightly, "The protection of my children is always of top priority. This gift is perfect." His Mothers nod and smile at him. Nick gives a quick bow, then moves his smile onto his youngest brother who is staring at him with more than a little apprehension. 

Making his way over to Michael, Nick begins, "Word from the grapevine is that you want to go the way of the Pugilist, brother Michael."

Michael's eyes sharpen and he nods as he says quietly, "Yes, and you can't change my mind. I know it is not the..."

Nick interrupts him, "I wouldn't dream of belittling your aspirations! On the contrary, I wish to assist you in your endeavors!"

Matthew starts spouting some bullshit about that class being for thugs and how it is not honorable, but Nick ignores him brilliantly. Kneeling down so he is eye level with Michael just like he had for Lily, he says, "Your gift comes with a quest attached." Michael looks at him in confusion, so Nick continues, "Have you heard of the Dragon Knights of the Elemental Fist, Michael?" 

Michael's eyes bulge as he nods in quick, jerky movements. "Yes! They are the whole reason I wanted to be a Pugilist! They soared in the sky on the backs of dragons and could launch elemental blasts from their fists just like their dragon's breath attack! But...they are just long-dead legends now, what does that have to do with my gift?" Michael tilts his head cutely, questioning Nick.  

Instead of answering him directly, Nick pulls out a spiked, red gauntlet from his dimensional storage and places it in front of Michael. If Michael's eyes could have popped out of his skull, they would have. "I found their abandoned temple during my travels and picked up about 250 of these. These are the gauntlets that make their armor. Try it on!" He says with a smile, gesturing for Michael to stand up and put it on.

*Gasp* "Nick...How...?" King Remington demands.

"Not important right now, but I will explain it to you later if you would like, father," Nick says turning to look at him and bowing slightly. His eyes narrow, but seeing his always gloomy son smiling softens his heart a bit and he nods slowly to let me continue.

Everyone in the room sits at the edge of their seats as Michael puts the huge gauntlet on his arm. The magical items shrink down to fit his arm perfectly. "Great! Now say, 'Equip.'" Nick instructs. The excited boy does so and in a red flash, he is in head to toe plate armor of burgundy color and with horns and spikes all around as accents. He does wear his helmet for this one and red flames dance in the eye sockets. 

"I can see everything as if I wasn't even wearing a helmet! And...and it feels super light! I feel powerful!" Michael exclaims and tries to hug  Nick, but he puts his hand to the helmet to stop him and chuckles saying,

"Unless you want me to turn into swiss cheese, please say, 'Unequip,' before hugging me."

Michael does so and slams into Nick with tears in his eyes. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Then, as if remembering something, tilts his head and asks, "What is the quest part?"

Nick smiles down at his brother and, once again turns to address his parents as he continues. "The armor will protect him perfectly, but it is only at half strength. He needs to bond to a dragon for it to take full effect." Turning back to Michael, Nick continues, "The quest is for you to bond to a dragon and, after you grow up, recreate the order to serve our kingdom and the world as peacekeepers. You will need to pledge allegiance to father as soon as you get your bonded dragon and become an official Dragon Knight otherwise other nations will try to coerce your vow to them. You will basically be revitalizing one of the strongest arial armies in known history. Not only does it secure you power and prestige, but it will guarantee you a title of your own as well so you can start your own lineage. And, if I say so myself,  I think your eyes suit it quite magnificently." Nick ends with this and a smile. He sees the realization dawn in Michael's eyes as the boy reaches up and touches his face. He looks up and gives Nick the brightest smile that Nick has ever seen from the boy and he can just feel the blooming of long-needed self-confidence brewing in his young mind.

Tears glistening in her eyes, Mother Heather mouthes a silent, "Thank you," to Nick who nods and smiles at her.

"Father, Brother," Nick starts and turns to them with a serious face this time, "This order will need to remain Independent. They can come to the aid of the country in times of war but will need to be a neutral force otherwise. They are far too powerful and will cause other nations to band together and rise against us if this is managed poorly."

Matthew starts to bluster about Nick telling the King and Crowned Prince what to do, but father stops him with a glare and gives a solemn nod to Nick saying, "I agree. Michael will need to give up his right to the throne, but I can easily make him a Duke with that much power at his disposal. This must not be done lightly, Nicholas. I imagine that you will take responsibility for this orders resurgence and their growth?"

Looking down at the smiling Michael who keeps switching from armored to not, Nick says, "I will help lay the foundation and teach Brother Michael all he needs to know to lead. I have the ancient manuscripts of the order, so it shouldn't be too hard. Once he is of age, I will let him take over as long as I have full confidence in his abilities. As for the matter of the dragons," he shrugs, "I am...friends...with the ancient dragon matriarchs, so securing good relations with them and safe bonding spaces should be easy enough."

"Friends, huh?" Mother Heather, always sharp as a knife, raises an eyebrow and responds to my moment of hesitation. 

*Cough* "Yes, good friends, you could say..."

Thankfully, my arrogant brother Matthew steps in to prevent an awkward conversation with an equally awkward announcement, "I don't agree! We should use these Dragon Knights to take over the smaller neighboring kingdoms. Think of the resources and gains we could acquire! Even if Father agrees now when I am king I will..."

"No." Nick commands directing all his bloodlust and power towards his brother who falls to the ground instantly clutching his chest. If others could, they would show their discontent at this, and, no doubt, the Commander would draw his blade, but as it was, none of them could move due to the pressure, even with it not being directed at them. "Brother or not, the Dragon Knights will not be used by a warmongering king as long as I live." He holds the pressure for another few seconds and then recalls it. A collective gasp fills the room as people start breathing again. "There are much scarier things in this world than Dragon Knights, Brother Matthew. My traveling companions and I are Guardians of this world and I will step in to stop you if I have to. Are we understood?"

Matthew gets back onto his chair shakily and sits down trying to save an ounce of his dignity. He nods and but keeps his head down and refuses to make eye contact with Nick. Nick can smell the fear rolling off him. Sighing, Nick moves over and puts his hand on his brother's shoulder. Matthew flinches but meets Nick's eyes eventually. "I'm sorry Matthew. I just saved this world from a tyrant that wanted to take over everything. My nerves are still a bit raw. I will work with you and Father over the coming years to make this kingdom greater than it ever was and I will always join you in crushing enemies that try to invade us." Turning to his father he continue, "My allegiance is to this country, but know that the companions I traveled with have allegiances of their own. The Guardians are not to be trifled with."

"Definitely words to keep in mind, my son, if that power was anything to go off of." King Remington says with more than a bit of worry in his voice.

"Aw, they are pushovers and big softies once you get to know them. Besides, I was always the strongest." Nick flashes him a smile then, clapping my hands to dispel the serious aura that now permeates the room, turns back to Michael who is staring at the gauntlets in wonder. "Back to the gifts," Nick announces. "Now other than the obvious attack and defense increase, the armor will change shape and style depending on the dragon you merge with. You will also be immune to that dragon's type of elemental damage. Pretty neat, right?"

"Yes! I can't thank you enough Brother Nick!" Michael states smiling genuinely up at him. Nick musses his hair and Michael giggles. "No problem little bro."

"Alright, on to my favorite tomboy sister!" Nick states, spinning to face his sister Rose.

"Whose a tomboy!?" she shouts indignantly. "You would know what a perfect and refined lady I am if you weren't gone for six years!"

"Rose..." Mother Heather warns in a low growl.

Nick staggers dramatically, as if he was hit by an arrow to the heart, and hangs his head when he regains his balance. "I suppose my refined sister wouldn't want her hated brother's gifts that he got during those six years away...I guess I will just have to keep them and move..."

"Wait!!!" She shouts and blushes hard when he raises his head smiling at her. Everyone in the room chuckles at their antics except for brother Matthew who is still trying to get his heart rate under control. 

"For the beautiful, perfect lady, I present two items," Nick states grandly, more than a little overdramatic, and bows. He swears he can hear her grinding her teeth, but she says nothing and waits for the items. A set of blue and silver battle robes and a red staff with the carving of a Pheonix on its head pops onto the table in front of her. She stares down at the two items that absolutely radiate magical power and a soft gasp can be heard from Matilda in the back of the room. "First, the robes. They are the Robes of the Blue Flame and are made from demonic spider silk and mithril chain mail. They offer the same protection as full-plate and are comfy as all hell to boot! Along with the substantial physical damage protection, they reduce all magical damage by half and make you immune to fire damage. The last benefit, besides being really stylish, is that it will boost your fire magic potential by 100%." Now a loud gasp can be heard from several people in the room. "The staff is the Phoenix Staff and it is much like Lily's gift. Come out, little buddy!" 

The phoenix carving at the head of the staff starts to smolder then flashes a bright red light and a small phoenix, about the size of an eagle but still small for most phoenixes, flaps its wings and starts circling the room before landing on Nick's shoulder. It caws lightly and nuzzles its head in his neck affectionately.

"Cute little guy, isn't he?" Nick looks at the stary eyed spunky princess whose mouth is hanging open."Have you made a familiar contract yet?"

"N-n-n-no!" Rose gets out eventually, her eyes never leaving the phoenix. 

"Good!" Nick lightly picks up the Phoenix and brings it's head to his own. "You are gonna make a new contract and friend, aren't you excited?" The fire chicken flaps its cute wings excitedly. Nick lets it go and it immediately turns, lands on the table in front of rose, and begins to stare deeply into her eyes. They make eye contact for about a minute before she starts to scream and clutches her chest. Again, the sound of a sword being drawn comes from the back of the room and Nick's parents stand up in an outburst of demanding cries. "Relax! This will take but a second. She will be fine!" Nick waves his hand and dispels everyone's worries. 

Rose is breathing heavily as her eyes flutter open and everyone can see flames dancing in her irises, literally. Her curly red hair starts to flicker and dance at the ends as it takes on the aspect of living fire. Finally, she slumps in her seat, her hair remains the same, but her eyes are back to their normal dark brownish-black. 

"Congratulations! You have bonded to a legendary creature and gained rightful ownership of this staff. Look at your hair real quick." She looks confused, then squawks when she sees it.

"What-what-what did you do!" Rose demands as she turns a death glare to me.

"Um., made you freakin' awesome, that is what I did. No need to thank me sis!" I smile at her and her glare turns...well, firey. "Think of your ideal, perfect hairstyle. Color and all!" I say as a bead of sweat rolls down my neck. 'She is gonna like this...right?' I worry to myself.

Rose closes her eyes and thinks. Shortly after, her curly bob of deep auburn hair smoothes out and grows into long, luscious locks of wavy red hair, slightly lighter in color than it was before. She opens her eyes and looks down at her hair. Flames still dance at the edges, but it gives it an elegant and mysterious vibe now. Her look of anger fades to one of shock that quickly turns into one of glee as she looks up to me with a radiant smile. 'Not a tomboy anymore, indeed.' Nick thinks, seeing his beautiful sister. To be fair, she was pretty before, she just seems more of an elegant beauty now rather than a girl next door or childhood sweetheart beauty. 

"You can make it any style or shape as well, but that's not all!" Nick says, now confident that she will love this, "Because your body has merged with that of the phoenix's, you are now partially a magical creature. Still human, but partly not. Due to the nature of how fire can grow and spread into different shapes and sizes, you can freely change elements about yourself at will. Think of something you want to change about your body, you can make your hands into firey talons like a phoenix, or grow wings, or..."

Nick trails off as Rose looks down at her chest and it starts to inflate...and keeps going until her robe is nearly bursting at the seems...

Everyone in the room: "..."

"Really?" Nick says rubbing the bridge of his nose. Roses face matches her hair as she blushes but the smile never fades. The inflated mellons start to decrease, but ultimately stay much larger than they were. "Yea...I guess you can do that... You can make yourself the ideal version of you that you want. Just don't lose who you were Rose. You were always beautiful before and you don't need this ability to change that." She hears him, nods, but ultimately ignores him as several parts of her body slowly starts to change. Envious glares are being thrown at Rose from all the women in the room...even Lily! 'No, my sweet angel! You are perfect the way you are!' The glares make their way from Rose to Nick and several expectant women start staring him down. 

A brief court session starts as demands for similar items are brought before Nick. He argues that they all are beautiful as they are, but that gets overruled quickly. Something about not having to do their hair or makeup ever again makes their demands brook no argument on Nick's part. He is sentenced to bringing each of them an item that can do this., no appeals are allowed. Nick has several items that can do just that, though none that change their owner's body permanently. They seem fine with one that will do their hair and makeup. After a small recess for the ladies to meet and discuss, they also make demands for another item that can clean and freshen them up at will. Nick sighs in defeat,  and after he promises to give them the items once he retrieves them, he is allowed to continue. Somehow, even Matilda is written into this binding and unbreakable contract. 

"Anyway..." Nick continues, more than a little exhausted, "That is actually only the secondary ability of the staff and familiar. The primary abilities are that it will boost your fire magic potential by 200% and that you can now absorb fire to heal yourself. Lastly, if you die from unnatural causes, you will be reborn to a perfect health version of how you were before your death. This will happen in an explosion of fire exactly 24 hours later in whatever spot your body is in. Keep in mind that this will only ever happen once, however, and it will take the life of your familiar to do it."

Another moment of piercing silence takes over the room as almost everyone stares at Nick in slack-jawed amazement. "Oh, come on! Are we gonna do this every time?" Nick complains. The others in the room shake their heads in exacerbation.

"How did you even know I was a fire mage?" Rose questions as she raises a newly made perfect eyebrow at him.

"You always had a fiery personality, so I figured fire was going to be your thing," Nick says with a shrug and a sly grin at his sister. She harrumphs and then sniffs. 

"Well thank you. These are very nice gifts, Nick." Her haughty air clears and a genuine thankful smile appears on her face. "Really, thank you. This means a lot to me. ...More than you know." Nick smiles and bows before turning to continue this gift-giving celebration. 

"No worries. If you were a different element, I prepared equally powerful items for each of those, just in case." Matilda practically explodes at this and starts shamelessly begging for something for 'The benefit of the kingdom'. Nick waves his hand and simply tells her, "Later." He can swear he hears her purring after that as she stares at him with sultry eyes. 

'Better watch out for that minx,' Nick considers seriously, 'or she might just tie me up and kidnap me...I suppose that wouldn't be the worst.' He considers anew glancing at her curves from the corner of his eyes, 'I can get into rough roleplay...'

Coughing several times to clear his mind, Nick turns his head to his brother Matthew, who stares at him with clear fear in his eyes. Nick's smile widens as he makes his way over.

As always, I sincerely hope you enjoyed the chapter! This is my second attempt at writing and I would appreciate any comments and feedback you have. Thank you for reading, and have an awesome day!

29