[17] Skewers
4.4k 5 160
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You can call me Fieth Tross, this is my assistant, Aura Fiora," The young man smiled, extending his hand out.

The girl behind him nodded with a smile.

"Claire Hill," She briefly shook the man's hand.

He nodded, his eyes moving to her left, extending his hand.

"Alicia Fraught," Alicia nodded, she didn't take his hand, she continued, "You are annoying."

Although she appeared disinterested and listless, her voice still carried with it that same sharpness as always. Her words were neither meant to be hurtful nor meant to praise, she had simply said her thoughts and pierced through the mind of the listener.

She was blunt like Claire, but unlike her, she didn't care one bit.

"..." Fieth was speechless, but for some reason...he felt as if he couldn't be angry at the girl? It was an odd sensation, but similar to Aura, he felt her innocence.

"Can we leech off of you?" Claire asked.

"...what?" Fieth didn't quite understand.

"We don't have an inn or money for one with us right now...so...could we leech off of you?"

Why was this girl being so honest? Shouldn't she be crafty and try and worm her way into his mind for free boarding? However, he had made a partnership with them, and he had been gifted their authorization to follow along on the request—although he had qualms against them, he felt that he could at least pay them back for helping him get closer to the first chapter of 'his' legend.

Furthermore, money wasn't something he lacked after successfully being pronounced the next successor of the Tross family. The status of a Hero has already proven its worth. As long as he had it, he would be amongst few, a special and untouchable existence. Heroes were driven towards danger and fortunes, they saved others while endangering themselves, there was almost no one that didn't look up to heroes--especially the Sword Saint.

Since he was a kid, he had long dreamed of being a hero.

They were currently walking through the narrowing houses and buildings, it seemed as if they had become trapped in a maze. Night had arrived, and within the city carved from stone, a warm orange glow pervaded. Even with the setting sun at the back of the mountain, lanterns hung and the people still busied themselves about. Darkness did not mean absolute silence, there was still a number of individuals walking to and fro, and there was just enough light for them. Various shops were still open, the many stalls lined the twisting roadway, and the smell of meat lingered in the air. They walked downwards, towards the iron gates of the city.

Through the corner of his eye, he noticed Claire and Alicia looking towards a stall. One stared intently and the other almost drooled with a gulp. There was currently a well dressed couple in front of the old woman running it, she handed them two skewers of enticing meat.

Fieth Tross sighed as he moved his legs and soon arrived before the stall.

"Two please," He asked, looking at the price tag, and dropping down five large copper coins—or fifty small coppers.

The old lady didn't bother counting them, putting it in the pouch at her waist, she quickly opened up a hatch in her stall. There was smoke, and an enticing smell quickly wafted out, she brought out two skewers.

She smiled, handing them over, "You sure take care of your sisters well, I wish my son was even a bit like you instead of rotting away in that office of his."

He grimaced slightly at those words but took them without a word of his own, only nodding.

They were still warm.

He handed the two meat sticks to the girls that had already followed him to the stalls, "Here, you were staring daggers at them, just take it."

Alicia sniffed the air, licking her lips as her eyes before hurriedly grabbing them. She was about to stuff both in her mouth when she noticed Claire's glance, she smiled stiffly and reached out her hand, "You can have one too."

Claire nodded, taking the skewer, "Thanks."

"..."

Fieth was speechless, the girl had passed it out as if she had been the one to buy it and the other had accepted it with a thanks with no problem. His eyes twitched before shaking his head, buying two more, giving one to Aura and keeping the other.

"Thank you," The Dark Elf's voice was quiet, but grateful. She carefully took the present with a bright smile and begun eating it.

Looking at that expression of bliss on the girl's face, Fieth smiled and bit into his. His eyes immediately opened wide as the taste assaulted the inside of his mouth. It was chewy and anything but dry, the meat itself was probably from a low grade demonic beast—likely the Frenzied Rabbit. There was the taste of peppers and unknown spices, but he could also taste a slight hint of honey coating the meat. It was the kind of taste one could get addicted to and the type that one would never tire of. Before he knew it, he had finished wolfing it down.

The three girls stared at him...Alicia especially.

He gulped, and was forced to buy another set.

The old lady smiled.

"I'm sorry, but we currently only have one room." The man spoke, his voice was husk, and it matched well with his rusty beaded and rough brown hair.

Fieth frowned, he looked to his left, Aura who looked like she would follow him either way. He looked to his right, Claire and Alicia who seemed as if they had no care in the world. The two were talking to each other, he swore he heard something along the lines of 'Just a taste...'

"Damm*t," He cursed, almost snaring, "There's only one room left? How can that be? Can't you kick someone out and make room? I'll pay double, no, triple!"

Fieth Tross was a young man of impulses, ever since he was young, his one flaw could very well be described as being too impulsive. He was quick to anger, quick to kindness when he tried, and quick to chasing after the next thing he set his eyes on. This time, it just so happened to be an extra room for an inn.

However, he had met his match multiple times today, "Sir, either buy the room or leave, I'm not forcing you here. This is a business, if you don't like my services or didn't find what you're looking for, the basic rule is to look for another."

It was already deep into the night, leaving wasn't an option and he was unsure if any of the other inns would have much to offer anyway.

Claire nodded at the man's words, this was a person with standards and morals. She had finally just finished calming the cravings of her companion, was her blood that tasty?

"I don't mind sharing a room." She said.

Fieth frowned, grimaced slightly, but soon decided to simply purchase the room.

"There's a bath house in the back, one for men and another for women, you can use it in the morning then come and receive a free breakfast," The man spoke roughly, handing over a single key with the number '15' etched into it, "bring this key with you when you're ready to leave and return it here."

He took it, nodding and paying.

"Don't worry, I'm not interested in children, I won't lay a finger on you." He said, looking at Claire.

Alicia turned towards him, "You wouldn't be able to, even if you tried."

As always, her voice was sharp.

160