Chapter 28 – Longevity Fruit
3k 8 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yun Ling narrowed his eyes at him. This hunchback old man might seemingly look weak, but his identity was none other than the Grand Chancellor of the empire. It was the highest position one can have in the Jin Empire that wasn't related to the military. His authority was just below that of the emperor himself. He could do almost everything in the empire with no one being able to defy him except the emperor.

In the past, Yun Zhan sometimes brought Yun Ling to the palace when he had some business there. It was then that Yun Ling got acquainted with a few of the most important people in the empire like Yu Shan’s father, the unit commander of the empire, and also Zheng Yi, the grand chancellor. Though Yun Ling and Zheng Yi had seen each other a few times before, this was the first time they had truly spoken to each other.

“As a matter of fact, yes, I do,” Zheng Yi nodded his head. “I’ll go straight to the point, this old man doesn’t have long to live, which is why I would like to request something of you. If you happen to see a Longevity Fruit in your journey, please sell it to me. I’ll pay you more than any amount you’ll ever find in the market for it.”

Yun Ling frowned, “For you to make this kind of request, I take it you know where I’m going?”

Zheng Yi smiled, “For better or for worse, this old man is still the grand chancellor of the empire after all. I naturally know some things. Moreover, it’s not only me. Many other officials know as well. Even your grandfather knows of your task.”

“I see,” Yun Ling muttered. So that was why his grandfather asked him to bring some Monstrous Bird meat when he comes home. Even though he didn’t tell him, his grandfather already knows where he’s going.

“Would that be fine with you, Yun Ling?” Zheng Yi asked.

Yun Ling thought for a moment. A Longevity Fruit was a well sought after item. It was because a Longevity Fruit could increase a person’s lifespan by several years depending on which Longevity Fruit it was. There was a Longevity Fruit that could give a ten-year lifespan while there was one that could grant one hundred years. There was even one that could grant a thousand or even ten thousand years of lifespan to a person. Nevertheless, no matter which kind of Longevity Fruit it was, all of them were incredibly rare. Longevity Fruits that give more than one hundred years of lifespan were even rarer.

Yun Ling didn't need a Longevity Fruit right now. He was still young. With his cultivation realm, he could still live for more than a thousand years with no problem unless someone kills him. The same goes for his father and grandfather. With their cultivation realm, they could still live for a very long time. His mother, and grandmother on the other hand, although they were less talented than his father and grandfather in cultivation, they were above average when compared to others so they would also be fine. When it comes to both his brother, they were still young too. One was just slightly older than him while the other one was younger than him. Then Yun Yi and his father, they still have long to live. So Yun Ling didn't really need a Longevity Fruit right now.

“I have no problem with selling one to Grand Chancellor. That is on the premise that I’ll find one though," Yun Ling said to him.

Zheng Yi let out a relieved smile, “That’s enough. I don’t really expect you to find one but in the off chance that you will, I’ll be eternally grateful.”

“Anything for the Grand Chancellor,” Yun Ling let out a small smile. “If that’s all, I’ll be heading off now.”

Zheng Yi chuckled as he moved to the side, “Excuse me for blocking the way.”

“It’s fine, Grand Chancellor.”

“Right, before you leave, be wary of the fourth prince, that child. I don’t know what’s going on between you two but it looks like you’re not on good terms,” Zheng Yi reminded before Yun Ling could take his leave.

Yun Ling raised a brow at him, “How does Grand Chancellor know of this?”

Zheng Yi smiled mysteriously, “This old man had nothing to do and decided to observe the banquet last night from afar. As long as someone pays any attention to your interaction with each other, they would have easily noticed that you two are not in an amicable relationship.”

“I see, thank you for telling me, Grand Chancellor,” Yun Ling nodded. He already knew that he had to be wary of the fourth prince beforehand but he appreciated his reminder.

“Don’t underestimate that kid too much. He might be nothing in your eyes but even someone like him can prove to be dangerous when given the right opportunity. After all, he might be an ant, but ants can still bite,” Zheng Yi said seriously.

Yun Ling looked at him thoughtfully. Zheng Yi wasn’t the grand chancellor for nothing. He was probably speaking from his numerous years of experience so it would be for the best to take this advice into the heart. It was not like he’d lose something from being more cautious towards the fourth prince, in fact, it was sound advice, which was why he might as well take it.

“I’ll keep that in mind, Grand Chancellor,” Yun Ling said, “I’m going to take my leave now.”

“Be careful,” Zheng Yi nodded at him.

Yun Ling took that as a cue and immediately made his horse start running.

Zheng Yi waited for a moment and watched his departure. When Yun Ling finally disappeared from his sight, he also left the area.

As Yun Ling rode his horse, he thought back to his conversation with the grand chancellor earlier. Yun Ling told him that he would sell the Longevity Fruit to him if he luckily managed to find one in his journey.

That was a lie.

If Yun Ling found one, he would keep it for himself and not tell the grand chancellor about it. Although he didn't need a Longevity Fruit right now, the same couldn't be said in the future. There was no way to tell what will happen in the future for sure. One of his family members might need it so it would be best to keep one with him in case that happens.

As one of the most important and trusted individuals in the empire, if the grand chancellor dies, many would surely grieve his death. But for Yun Ling, he couldn’t care less about him at all. His death was of no concern to him for his family was more important to him compared to anyone else.

Yun Ling appreciated the advice the grand chancellor gave him. But it was too bad. Whether Yun Ling finds a Longevity Fruit or not, either way, the grand chancellor would not be getting any Longevity Fruit from him.

65