Magitechs and the Giant’s apprentice pt. 4
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tensions were high, when Ago reached the gates.  The guard was halved even as a few more withdrew from the barracks.  In the shadow of his mind, the squads he passed stoked the dire outlook of yesteryear.  So many mobilized at once meant a clear and present danger on the horizon.

The call of platoon leaders and concerned parties drowned out as he focused.  The best he could offer them were not found in words, but by reacting to the threat before the damage could be felt.

In his headspace, one of the reactors became animated.  The nodes of light coming alive roused him from the zone.  Recognition crept over his face, “It’s you.”

The white armored sentinel folded her arms, “What are you doing out here?”  The guard taking her statement stepped aside at her deference.

It had troubled him once some tome ago, that the carrier rarely sent patrols into the highlands.  His fears stemmed that this region saw steady peace, without their involvement.  He was not so convinced as to write off conflict altogether.  That confidence now shaken to its foundation, “I heard trouble, and came to see if anyone was hurt.”

Hex’s eyes widened, “You heard of that?” Shifting to collect herself, “It’s no trouble now.  Some gatherers were out late and had a scare.  You might have passed them, actually.”

Ago called to mind the few folks he saw meandering in town.  His gaze scanned the treeline, matching trade with appearance.

The soldier turned to face Hexalia again, “We can send word ahead, have them tracked back to the wood by morning.”

She furrowed her brow, in equal parts agreement and warning, lest they inspire folk to worry.  In the same breath footsteps whispered, and her gaze caught the retreating form, “Where are you going?”

Ago’s gaze flicked between claw marks and depressed branches.  Within a stride or two, he zeroed in on the rough path where the wolves beat their retreat.  Lamplight bled from his skin in the evening air, every divet in the grain and soil tugging at his awareness, until he’d streamlined in pursuit.

It was going to take a while to catch up, and energy coursed through his chest in preparation.

“What’s he planning to do, pass the word himself?”

“That foolish guy, he’s more reckless than that.”

In the stroke of a single heartbeat, the guard was alone in the forest.  Startled when he grasped their intent.

To her credit, Hex was faster than one might expect.  She’d cleared the grove, in a matter of seconds, and powered through the wheat fields at a competitive clip.  She hadn’t expected to take so long to overtake him though, and to her critical eye, Ago threaded the stalks.  She couldn’t keep up, not as she’d prepared to, but unwilling to give up her movements became more elaborate.  Working away at the path before them.

Allowing instinct to guide her, four of her legs fell away.  Two rising out to either side, while the others secured to her shoulder blades.  The transition put delay in her rhythm.  One she quickly made up for.  In this form, Hexalia could run the entire border of the highlands in a day.

She brushed her fingertips over her mask, recalling a time when it had been more than ornamental.  She’d had more than her fill of foolishness then.  She wouldn’t stand for it now.

The flicker of blue light danced over the stalks as she drew near to Ago.  Within moments he would be overtaken, “If you start trouble in my turf, I will see it brought to an end.  Cool your feet, or that becomes right now.”

Ago didn’t give any sign that he heard her, so she almost missed the words he spoke, “That’s unlikely.  I won’t take the safety of others for granted.  If you stop me, it’s for that impression they’d left behind.”

Hex tilted her head, “And you think running is going to help you figure that out?”

“It gives the people who know better than me the opportunity to do right.  I would get in their way.” Ago’s arm began to seep a golden light.  A quick flash danced between his fingertips and he slowed rapidly, “We’re close.”

Hex’s eyes widened.  Shedding her speed immediately, as the two came to a steadfast crawl.  Ago’s gaze matched that of a hawk as he used the full length of his arm to pry through the grass.

Two wolves.  One stopped to nurse it’s wounds, and the other minded them.  A few moments later, the two continued down the path.

Hex murmured under her breath, “And how much impression is enough?  These are wild animals.  They hunt, they feed.  We all do.”

“You know as well as I do, that wasn’t some random attack.”

“Right, and while we’re on the subject, just what do you know?  I was fresh off the action when you showed up.  It’s not like someone sent out an invitation.”

… Ago shrugged, ”If you need to go back and rest, I understand.  Personally, I’m planning to stop at the furthest town, and pick up the trail the day after.”

Hex huffed, “A loose cannon skips town, I’ll be keeping an eye on them.  I’ve kept up with one delinquent, I can handle another.” ‘It’s been too quiet around here lately.’

Back in town, a certain blue eyed raven wrinkled his nose.  A perpetual pile of ash by the forge made airborne, “Gah, Every time I go out…” He furrowed his brow, “I should get that field checked.”

0