An unwanted encounter
992 1 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Going back home again was, this time, filled with a number of complicated feelings. Farin knew his family inside out, and the same could be said the other way around. Maybe that was why, after the initial greetings, both mother and father just stared at their son, eyebrows raised.

"Is there something on my face?", Farin asked, playing dumb and walking past his parents into the midst of his overjoyed four little siblings. Squeaks sounded throughout the room as the children, ranging from a few years old to late teens, attached themselves to his legs and waist, pulling him into all directions. Farin laughed softly.

Out of them all, only he had been born with his mother's looks. The light-colored hair and stark blue eyes were more common in the far north, where his mother had been born. She shared his looks, while at the same time carrying a certain sharpness around herself that her son was missing. His father was the perfect example of a grumpy looking but overly loving old man with greyed hair and suntanned skin, limping ever since his accident during a hunting trip.

Farin lovingly ruffled his siblings' hair, giving them smooches on the head or cheek.
Behind him, his mother was unwilling to let the topic fall.

"Sweetie, there is no mother who would not be suspicious if her son came back from a place far from family and friends with a jump in his step."

Farin kept his lips from twitching. "What jump? I'm happy to be back, and I'm happy you are all feeling well with the money I'm earning. Of course my mood is good."

This is the second time, he thought to himself, sighing inside his mind. Am I that obvious?

"Just because you can hide it from others doesn't mean you can hide it from me. You aren't the type to get overjoyed over things, so..."

His mother's face suddenly took on a worried frown as she dragged her son into the kitchen by his collar, while her husband herded the other children away, guessing that his wife had a reason for her behavior.
Ignoring the complaining shouts of her other children, the worried mother took her tall son's face into her hands, turning it left and right. She stared deep into his eyes and then leaned back with a hum.

"Be honest with me. You didn't... eat anything weird, did you? Or sit around some weird smelling smoke?"

The wheels in Farin's head were only slowly turning as he tried to figure out the intention behind his mother's words. When he realized, his eyes widened and he hurriedly shook his head. "Mom! Gosh, no! I am not interested in that kind of thing!"

With nobles entering their village, some weird customs had come along as well. There were types of mushrooms that, when ingested or smoked, would lead to an intoxicated state that the nobles enjoyed like alcohol. In small amounts, the drug would merely result in overly happy moods.
At first, Farin had wondered whether there was a similar substance in the air in the cave, but his giddy mood has lasted far longer than any drug should have.

The youth took his mother's hands into his own, gripping them tightly. "Trust me that much, alright? I just..."

He stopped himself from continuing. Well, what was he supposed to say?
I met someone interesting? His mother would ask about details that he couldn't give.
We don't have the same language? Oh, where would such a suspicious person suddenly pop out of?
I encountered an interesting person up in the temple, but I only saw them shortly and didn't have too much time to talk to them yet?

Ignoring the fact that he'd have to spin a whole web of lies, his mother would certainly ask again and again each week. What kind of excuse would he brew up then?
Farin just smiled wryly without finishing the sentence, causing his mother to raise an eyebrow but luckily let the topic drop.

"As long as you're not doing anything dangerous. I worry enough with you being a carrier."
"Mom, there really is no need to worry at all. Actually, I really enjoy doing this." That much was the truth, at least.

His mother sighed deeply, pulling her son down into a hug. Wrapping his arms around her small but trained frame, Farin took a moment to enjoy her warmth.

"You're right, you are someone who doesn't easily lose control, and you know how to keep yourself out of trouble", he suddenly heard his mother say with a deadpan voice. "But only as long as you're not interested in something."

Farin gave a twitch.

"The last time you were curious about something, you ended up vanishing for two days and came back with information about an illegal slave trade."

Farin coughed. "That I found that was purely coincidental. I didn't expect to see such scenes, either."

"I wouldn't be so worried about you if I didn't know that as soon as you sink your teeth into something, you don't let go. I really don't know where you have that from."

"You walked the whole way from your hometown to here because you were curious about the Alvarr", Farin retaliated quietly, continuing the hug. This way she couldn't see his face.

Sorry. I think I found a new thing that I'm interested in.

"I won't cause you or Master trouble. I swear I won't overdo it."

"Just don't get yourself eaten by a God, sweetie. I will go into that cave myself if you don't come out."

He could picture that perfectly well. His mother would take up a bow and knife and break down anything in her way just to reach that door. The youth smiled. This was his mother's way of showing her love. He pulled away from her arms, tilting his head as he looked at her.

"I'll go and help Dad with the kids, alright? I've asked Master to tell me some old stories since I can't enter the storage yet. They'll love them." Bowing down a bit so that his mother could kiss him on the cheek he once more tried to reassure her. "I want to continue helping out as much as I can."

The woman didn't reject the offer, just patted her son on the arm and turning to the stove where a stew was simmering. "I'll call when the meal is ready."
"Hmm. Thanks." With light steps, Farin went through the small house and out into the tiny garden where his siblings where partially helping, partially playing. His father looked up at him from the ground, then at the precious robe his son was wearing.

"Don't dirty it."
"Ah." Raising his arm, Farin looked at the long sleeve before hurrying inside again. While the robe was one of the common clothes for a carrier, it really wasn't suited for working. Once again in his old, coarse shirt and pants, Farin squatted on the ground to help with plucking weeds, prompting his younger siblings to quiet down and do the same.

"You're good with children. You'll be a good father one day", the muscular man muttered, his lips turned upward. His face was revealing some hidden pride. "They'll probably be the best-behaved children in the village."

Farin glanced over at his siblings. They had always imitated the things he did and were incredibly attached to him, so teaching them was actually very easy. As long as he praised them, they'd light up in joy.
Uncertain, Farin looked at the ground. "We will see. Who knows, I might not have children."

I would have to find a woman I am interested in for that, first.

His father's large, calloused hand descended on his head, ruffling up his tidy hair. Farin gave a noise of complaint, leaning out of the way and fixing his ponytail as he threw a fake glare at his father.

"Then they'll be adopted", his father reassured with a good-natured smile. The implications made Farin feel warm. "As long as you'll take them in as your children, they'll be my grandchildren, of course."

"Hmm."

Nowadays, people who didn't take a partner their whole life were looked at less weirdly. Depending on how social they were otherwise, the person might be labeled as an eccentric or weirdo, but they were never ostracised. 
Compared to that, people that had a partner of the same sex were still treated as rare animals. Not like an abomination, but as 'unexpected'. It earned plenty of confusion and awkwardness, but it was a fate that Farin had watched often enough. People from other villages, visitors here, were actually likely to turn violent towards same-sex couples.

Farin had watched the people around him fall in love often enough. He had also watched how Eylir had started glancing more at the delicate Skari after he changed into the scholar's robes, though he didn't think anyone else - or the two of them, for that matter - noticed.

He was in between all of that bustling, just observing. He wasn't interested in the girls that would shyly approach him. He also wasn't interested in the few young men that approached him aggressively (to tell the truth, it was more than just a bit irritating to be treated as a female by them). Seeing the more delicate type, like Skari, change clothes around him hadn't been of any interest for Farin, either.

Well, he thought to himself, blowing a stray strand of hair out of his face as he concentrated on the weeds. Dad's right. If I want to, as a carrier, no one will deny me even if I live alone and take in some orphans.

A step away from him, his siblings were listening with nonchalant faces. They exchanged quick glances and tiny nods without their eldest brother noticing.
That info had to go right to Eylir and Skari. Their older brother was such a nice person, they had to help protect him! (He really didn't need it, but the sentiment was sweet.)


One blue-haired beauty was hugging a smaller one, patting 'her' back. People were staring.

Skari was beyond devastated, whining with his sweet voice and rubbing his head against Farin's shoulder sadly. He was easily half a head smaller, making it comfortable to snuggle against the taller man. Farin was smiling wryly. "Skari, I can't understand a single word you're saying."
The whining grew louder.

Sighing, Farin moved backward while dragging Skari along, away from the street full of people - especially men - staring at them. Only when they reached a calmer corner did Farin raise an eyebrow at Eylir, who was following like a dejected puppy, a blue bruise blooming on his cheek.

"Come on", he coaxed his friend, who began to explain the situation as soon as Skari's whining had toned down a notch.

In summary, Skari had been getting along quite well with one of the guys at work. He had been overjoyed because the other scholar had treated him like a normal man and not a frail puppet, as was often the case. The previous day, that man had invited Skari out for dinner and Skari, feeling uncomfortable, rejected him.

The man snapped at that, pushing the smaller boy into a corner and talking nonsense about being seduced and everything. 
Skari pummeled him with a random branch he found at his feet, but the scuffle escalated due to the man being rather strong. Eylir was on his way to visit Skari, heard the fighting from farther away and came running. He got the bruise while trying to calm Skari.

All in all, Eylir had done nothing wrong, but Skari was incredibly dejected due to being treated as a woman again and thus in a bad mood. Eylir had then made the glorious decision of agreeing to his friend's comment about looking too feminine.
He had been completely ignored since then.

Farin rolled his eyes and continued hugging his little friend, soothing him with a gentle voice. "There, there. He didn't mean it."
"He was being an ass." "Yes, he was." "He didn't need to agree with me." "Hmm." "I'm not a woman!" "Of course you aren't."

Farin just went along with all of Skari's comments, who ended up taking an especially deep breath before releasing his friend and turning to Eylir with a grumpy face.

The muscular boy gave a lopsided grin. "Is okay now?"
"Yeah."

The hunter sighed exaggeratedly, immediately running over to hang unto Farin.

"Man, I never noticed how much easier it is to have you around. You're perfect for coaxing people into a better mood."
Tugging his shirt into place, the carrier smiled. "That seems to be what I'm doing all day, anyway. I'm just spoiling you a lot."

His friends noticed the gesture and glanced over his back-to-casual clothes. "Not wearing the robe today?"
"No, I've been helping out Dad with the garden again. I don't want it to get dirty."
"Aah, you filial son. Already working as a carrier and still helping at home. My mother does nothing but compare me to you all day."

Now that it was Eylir's turn to grumble, both Skari and Farin couldn't hold back a chuckle. The little scholar looked up at his beautiful friend in apology.
"Sorry, we really are doing nothing but complaining to you."

"It's fine. That's what friends are for, right? You're helping me constantly, as well."

Two years ago, when his father's legs had been badly broken while hunting and never grew together quite right, both families had pitched in to help them until things calmed down. Now it was Farin's mother who went out to hunt and the father who stayed at home. While most people found it weird, those who knew the reason just accepted it quietly.

It had been a hard time for Farin, who didn't want to see his parents suffer. He would run around the village all day, searching for work just so that he could earn some extra money. In those weeks, the task of raising his siblings had fallen almost completely on him, which was one of the reasons for their attachment to their eldest brother.

"True. We are friends, so no need to count the debts", Eylir said, throwing an arm around Farin's shoulder and pulling him close. Skari pulled a face, aware that he was too small to try such a thing. Instead, he bumped into the tall boys from the side and nearly pushed them over. The group began to laugh.

The mood was joyful and relaxed as all three decided to find a cheap place to eat. As the new carrier, Farin got pocket money from the temple master, which, in turn, came from the royal family in the capital. He was hardly a large spender, so the long-haired young man decided to invite his friends on a whim.
"For once, let's go into a more expensive one. Didn't you two always want to eat in the Sunset Venue?"

Like little puppies, the hungry two men skipped after him, praising their friend to the heavens in an overdone manner.
The restaurant allowed the local villagers inside as well, but it was more intended for the noble visitors of other cities. The inside was modern and luxurious, the ingredients fresh and rare. The restaurant enjoyed a good reputation inside the village for its polite servants and good food.

The Sunset Venue was situated at the edge of the village.
In fact, the area felt a bit weird for the youths. The original village was still the same, but in a way, it had expanded to already be a small city. New houses and stores had been build, creating a rim of high-class buildings around the simple core. Out here, everything was more expensive, more luxurious and more varied. This was the place where new people moved to.

"I don't understand why so many people want to come here", Eylir whispered, glancing over the well-dressed people prancing the streets. All three had gone back to change into better clothing - Farin into his robe - but they still felt out of place. There were simply too many arrogant people around, carrying their noses high up in the air.

"Mom told me that there are rumors outside", Farin explained in a whisper. "Stories that we are especially blessed by the Gods because we live down the mountain, or that there are numerous jewels hidden in the ground."

"That is ridiculous. This place isn't any different."

"You don't have to tell me. But they believe it, so they come here. And don't forget that the temple master has a really high status, even compared to most nobles. They want to curry favor by sending their children up to work for him."

Skari hummed in agreement, a soft frown on his forehead. 

The conversations stopped when the three realized it was dampening their mood. Switching to another topic, they began to talk again, making their way through the bustling streets towards the Sunset Venue. 
The building was designed in beautiful tones of red, glass and jewels creating a play of reflecting light. Inadvertently, one hunter and one scholar moved closer towards the paying third person.

Smiling, Farin entered the building, immediately greeted by a servant in a wine red outfit with a professional smile.

"Welcome. How can I help you?"

"Hello. We would like a table for three people, if possible."
"Do you wish to eat or are you here to enjoy tea?"

The Venue was parted into four areas. One was eating and on the first floor. On the second floor was a separate area, much quieter, where one could drink tea and enjoy small snacks at the windows. In the inner rooms of the second floor, people had the choice of sitting in private rooms. The third floor, right under the roof, wasn't open to the public. This area could only be entered when reserved and was only for precious customers such as nobles.

"We would like to eat", Farin said courteously. The waiter glanced over the three of them before looking slightly troubled.
"I apologize, would the three guests mind sharing a table with another group? Or return later? Right now, all of our smaller tables are filled in..."

The waiter trailed off awkwardly, recognizing that Farin's clothes seemed precious, not quite suiting his other companions.
Still, there was no way for him to throw other guests out. The Sunset Venue was focused on quality, not quantity. They simply did not have endless space for more tables.

Just when Farin was hesitating what to do, a voice interjected from behind him. All politeness in the words could not hide the arrogance that it involuntarily carried.

"May I suggest for the three of you to share a private room with me? It will be my treat."

Stunned, the three youths turned around to face the newcomer.

Hands folded behind his back and dressed in a dark red brocade, the visitor suited the environment perfectly.
His dark, smooth hair was put up in a bun, preciously decorated needles holding it up. His dark green eyes were fixed on Farin.

The blue-haired youth felt a cold shiver down his spine but kept a neutral face.

In front of him, the young man continued to talk. "I had been intending on greeting the current Farin, anyway. Why don't we all enjoy a meal together?"

To anyone who is going 'Oh no. Endless misunderstandings ahead.' and the like... Nope. I'm not dragging the story for that long :'D No need to worry!
This chapter is rather long with some world and character building, but I hope you like it. If I miss any inconsistencies (which might happen), don't hesitate to tell me _〆(。。)~
I've decided on releasing a chapter every two days for as long as I can manage to hold the tempo :3

49