Epilogue
2.4k 17 126
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The shop was quiet, but that was to be expected. The full moon was on Saturday, and Monday was a holiday. In another month though summer would be in full swing, and of course that would bring in the tourists.

Selene's wares weren't quite the sort of thing tourists looked for when they came to a small lake-side town, but there were usually a few eccentrics in every crowd. There'd always be someone who loved browsing and invariably bought something.

It was mid afternoon, and without a single customer in the past hour Selene decided it was time for her lunch break. She gestured in the direction of the door and was rewarded by a clunking sound as the lock engaged. A moment later the open/closed sign flipped around on its own.

At the same time she allowed her appearance to shift back to her youthful state. Although this look was both more comfortable and more attractive, she found customers tended to be more relaxed around the friendly middle-aged version of herself. She had the sales numbers to back that up too.

So whenever the store was open she tended to add a couple decades to her appearance. On her own time though she preferred to look about twenty. Not that the tall attractive twenty-year-old figure was any closer to her original shape than the middle-aged look, but it was the one she liked best.

From beneath the counter she produced an insulated bag, and from within that she retrieved a still-hot tupperware container full of leftovers from last night's dinner. She fished around in the drawer under the cash register and soon located a pair of chopsticks.

Before starting on her meal, she walked around the counter and picked up one of the crystal balls that was on display near the window. She set that down on the counter next to her lunch, and finally pulled a stool over from where it was stored in the corner.

Selene sat down and pried the lid off the container, then waved a hand in the direction of the crystal ball.

The small black cat at the end of the counter was wide awake now and sitting up ontop of her purple cushion. Her eyes were fixed on the food, and she made a quiet smacking-swallowing noise.

"Seriously?" Selene rolled her eyes. "I didn't stare and drool when you had your tin of meat this morning, you know."

The cat glanced at her then looked towards the food again.

"Oh very well," Selene picked out a shrimp with her chopsticks and held it off to the side in the direction of the cat.

She cautioned, "It's hot. And mind the spice. If you go and do a sick somewhere this afternoon I'll not be sharing lunch with you again!"

The cat took her time as she moved off the cushion. She quietly walked along the counter top and approached the morsel. She sniffed it, then carefully took it in her mouth.

"I don't know why I spoil you so much," Selene shook her head, then finally started enjoying her meal.

As she and the cat ate, both of them watched the crystal ball. An image was just visible within.

Two teenage girls were walking through the halls of the local high-school. They were both eighteen, both in grade twelve. In another month the pair would graduate.

The girls were both somewhat petite, but the brunette was the taller of the two. She was dressed in skinny jeans and a tight t-shirt. The blonde was an inch or two shorter, and was wearing a knee-length skirt and a loose blouse.

The two were obviously a couple, they were holding hands as they walked alongside each other. Beyond that there was quite a bit of incidental contact between them. Not to mention a fair number of longing glances in both directions.

Selene smiled to herself as she watched.

She swallowed another mouthful of shrimp fried rice and glanced at the cat, "I told you those two would make an adorable couple, didn't I? The moment that brunette first walked in here on Saturday, I could feel the love radiating off her. Ditto the blonde, when the pair of them came back in together on Sunday."

After a moment she glared at the cat and replied indignantly, "Absolutely not! And I resent the implication."

Selene added "Anyways you know I'd never influence or tamper with a customer. The brunette slipped up and enspelled herself all on her own, no help from me. Though I daresay she doesn't look too torn up about how things worked out."

She scooped up another mouthful of fried rice, then confessed "Ok yes, I lied about only having one more copy of the spell. But I can't give away the whole store you know! We need to make some profit now and then!"

The cat ignored her, she was staring at the rapidly disappearing food in the plastic container.

Selene sighed and rolled her eyes, "Spoiled. That's what you are. Spoiled."

Nonetheless, she picked out another shrimp and offered it to her feline companion.

The cat plucked the shrimp from the chopsticks and settled down to enjoy it while Selene's attention returned to the crystal ball.

As she watched, she replied with a frown "Nonsense! The talent that brunette traded was certainly worth two copies of the spell. And I'll have you know, we've already got an interested party making enquiries. Talent like that is a valuable commodity."

After a brief pause she added with a smile, "Anyways just look at those two! You tell me seeing that kind of happiness isn't its own reward."

Selene glanced at the cat, but her attention was on the piece of shrimp she was happily munching. Selene sighed and focused on the crystal ball once more as she finished her lunch.

The two teens were kissing now. The blonde had her back against a row of lockers, her hands were on her girlfriend's hips. The brunette's hands were at the blonde's shoulders, gently holding her against the wall as they kissed.

Selene finally made a dismissive gesture and the image faded, the glass ball was once again inert.

She smiled as she looked back at the cat. "I'd say those are two very satisfied customers indeed. Don't you think?"

The cat almost seemed to roll her eyes. She turned away and moved back to her cushion and got comfortable again.

"That's enough of your attitude young lady," Selene scolded the cat, though she still had a smile on her face. "And I hope you enjoyed my lunch!"

She continued smiling to herself as she tidied up the counter from her meal and prepared to re-open the shop.

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new stories!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

126