Chapter 18 – Viridian Forest Part 3
975 33 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey everyone! A couple of notes before we start the chapter:

  1. People really seem to dislike Celeste - So let me promise, she gets better. She is still very young and I intentionally put her in the story to start as a bit of an antagonist and work towards forming a friendship and bond with Finn down the line. To be honest, Finn doesn't much care for her either at this point. lol But at the same time, I can't just have him succeed over and over again without any issues, where is the fun in that? I thought adding her as this dynamic of an annoying companion that gets better and grows with them over time would be a cool way to spice up the story, but it seems to have done its job a bit too well as people are stopping reading because of it. xD So I will put another poll in this chapter to address that.
  2. Also, I am getting a lot of comments on Finn getting his team too soon and also too many variants. I will try to answer these here:
    1. There are 898 Pokemon as of this moment. Sure, I have excluded the Ultra Beasts, but that is still a ton of Pokemon. Finn will be traveling the world with Lara and he will encounter a metric crap-ton of them. While he will not be catching all of them, he will still be catching a ton and is currently trying to be as efficient as he can with a pre-planned Kanto route and strategy he and Max came up with. If you were in the Pokemon world and had money and the knowledge about the games, would you wait to catch the ones you know you want? It makes sense to me, but it seems to be rubbing some people the wrong way. Sorry about that!
    2. I mentioned it in the last chapter, but in this world, shinnies don't really exist. There are only variant Pokemon and, because this is a simulated real world and not just him being thrown into the already existing Pokemon World, real biology and species diversity exist. Variants are only 1/100 as opposed to the 1/8192 of shinnies in the Pokemon games. I wanted to create a unique world that felt real and seeing the same coloring on animals everywhere you go is not realistic. I thought it would be fun to spice things up a bit. If you are Pokemon purist - which I didn't know existed before now lol - then this is probably not the story for you as I intend to add more cool and unique variants as well as different typings - Like Alolan Pokemon - in the future. 
  3. Lastly, people really seem to dislike the Skull Candy Kadabra. I just thought this was fun, interesting, and unique, but if you really hate it, there will be in the poll at the bottom to be edited out. It has no importance to the story, so I don't mind. I didn't know it would bother people so much, so sorry if it did! xD

I want everyone to enjoy my story but I am finding that increasingly difficult to do. I will try to keep notes and feedback in mind, but I will ultimately be telling the Pokemon story I want to tell. If people lose interest then I will simply move on to another story.

If this isn't for you, then I wish you the best and hope you find a story that interests you! =)

Chapter 18 – Viridian Forest Part 3

I continued to follow the Butterfree for a couple more minutes, chatting with April about Ranger duties, watching our Pokemon interact, and generally, just having a nice stroll through the dark woods. 

The Butterfree in front suddenly comes to a halt, however, so we all did as well. "Free, Butterfree. Free Free!"It says and I look to Pyra to translate.

"Follow friends...but be careful...Many Young ones...dwell within...and litter the path..." She translates, "Also...watch what you do...in the presence...of the Queen." Pyra's voice is deep and echoes in the quiet forest like a prophecy of things to come.

'It always weirds me out that Minimize doesn't alter her voice at all.' I think but quickly focus away from my distraction. 

We all nod to the Butterfree and it flys into a hollow tree stump and disappears. 

I scratch my head because no way was I getting through that. I am about to comment on it...when the forest comes alive around us.

Vines burst from the ground, the earth changes below our feet, and suddenly we are not in the middle of the forest without a path, but standing on a vine bridge that leads further into the forest. Trees bend and branches bow before us as the path literally forms with every one of our steps. 

'This is so fucking cool!' I take out my phone to record a bit of the process to show Lara later.

The Butterfree returns from the end of the newly formed path and looks winded by its quick flying. It continues to lead us but stops every few feet to scoop up a tiny little Caterpie and move it to the side, safe from our giant feet. 

There. Are. So. Many. Like, I can't count them all. They stare at us from the trees and on the ground and it is like a sea of green bobbing heads. I notice a variant here and there, but they are simply lost in the crowd as we move forward. They also all seem to be following us, moving towards this Butterfree Grove April mentioned.  

As we follow down the path, the Caterpies that surround us gradually turn to Metapods. Hundreds, if not thousands of them. Almost all are hanging from tree branches and their quiet staring and shifting eyes as we pass are actually a bit creepy. I feel the Metapod in my arms stir a bit and it seems to have regained enough strength to hop and follow us on its own. I tell it to shut up and deal with me carrying it. I just healed its injuries, but some are still red or tender and there is obvious damage to the shell. I could try a Full Restore on it, but if it wasn't fixed by the Potion sprays earlier, I doubt it will do anything but waste money. Many of the cracks looked old and potentially from past altercations with those same Beedrills. Not much Potions can do for those. Its best bet was to Evolve and see if what falls away with the shell or what injury reopens in the process. Then they can be healed. 

Potions only heal wounds, keep in mind. If something has healed and scarred, it is not recognized as a wound unless there is still damage there. For instance, a Pokemon that has lost a limb can have it reattached at a PokeCenter as long as the wound is still open. Leave it to heal naturally for a couple of weeks and the Pokemon will lose that limb permanently. This is another reason why having Potions on hand is so important and why Marts give them for free if you have none. No one wants to see a permanently damaged Pokemon. Not much you can do if they started that way or got the injury in the wild, however.

The Metapod grumbles a bit but settles in after seeing I wasn't going to budge and we continue down the path. We follow it for another couple of minutes, a horde of Caterpie and Metapod following in our wake. 

'Lara would totally faint if she was here.' I think with a giggle and quickly snag a picture of the horde of Bugs behind us to show her later. She will appreciate it, I am sure...

Finally, after another 5 minutes of walking, we reach our destination. The trees and branches here do not pull back and block our path forward, so we all come to a stop and look to the Buttefree. It does an honest to god flourish and a bow - or at least a dance in the air and a bob of its head that I assume to be a flourish and a bow - before the branches pull back and we are assaulted by bright light.

'Wow. No wonder April was so excited.' April squeals behind me in muffled delight at the sight.

If I had to describe it in one word, it would be flowery. 

The Butterfree Grove is a large clearing in the forest with a massive tree in the center towering well over 100 feet. Its enormous canopy provides shade to the area surrounding it, but lines of sunlight peek through its leaves, giving the clearing a majestic feel. Surrounding the tree is a small, shallow lake with lily pads and floating lotus flowers. Grasslands take over and spread about 200 feet or so towards us from the lake, but you would never know it was grasslands as every inch of it is covered in thousands of multicolored flowers. Flying everywhere you look are hundreds of Butterfree. They land amongst the flowers, fly in small groups circling the tree, and perch in the tree's massive branches. The air is sweet with the scent of flowers and particles, I could only call fairy dust, float and hover in the air giving the entire place a magically charged feel. In the center of the tree is a hollow that must be 10 feet wide and tall. 

The path then continues, but the vines and roots raise above the flowers so that we do not trample them. We follow it towards the base of the tree and the lake, marveling as we step. The Butterfree all start to fly and dance around us curiously and I see the Peach colored Butterfree fly down and nuzzle our guide Butterfree before dancing around all of the smaller ones we rescued, trilling happily. We reach the end of the vine bridge and it extends out slightly over the water. The lead Butterfree lands and bows its head, and all the other Caterpie, Metapods, and Butterfree do the same. I let down the Metapod who is stirring in my arms again and take a knee with April and my Pokemon as we wait for this "Queen" that was mentioned.

We don't have to wait for long. A massive shape comes from the hollow in the tree and spreads its wings before flying down to hover before us. Both April and I gasp as we behold a Mega Evolved Butterfree flapping its 20 feet wingspan. Its 6-foot long body is majestic in light purples and pale blues and I notice an old-looking necklace around its neck - the leather frayed and damaged from the passage of time. Inside that necklace is a berry sized Z-stone shinning brilliant green from the energies it has absorbed. From the wings of the massive Butterfree, torrents of glowing particles, what I likened to fairy dust, descends upon us. When a mote of it touches my skin, I feel an odd sense of tranquility and peace. 

"Free! Butterfree, Free!" It says in a voice far louder and more commanding than any Pokemon I have heard before. It is a deeper pitch than normal Butterfree's, but a sense of happiness and welcome is passed through the voice even without Pyra translating. The Pokemon around us rise and so April and I do the same. We stare at the massive Pokemon as it smiles down at us benevolently. 

"Butterfree." It says in a softer tone and the Peach Butterfree from before flies up in front of it. They trill at each other for a few seconds before the Mega turns its attention back to me and then to Pyra. It nods to us and a flurry of movement from behind the tree shows more Butterfree carrying something by a giant leaf. They lay it before us and on the leaf, we can see hundreds of many different kinds of berries. A gift for our work, it would seem. 

I smile up at the massive Pokemon and say, "Thank you! We will use these well in our travels. My name is Finn and I came to the forest today to catch one from your lineage. I have a journey that I am undertaking to save many Pokemon and create places just like this grove for them to be safe and live happily. Would it be alright for me to catch one of your flock to accompany me and assist me in this goal?"

'Saying this much should be fine. I didn't mention legendaries or even rare Pokemon so April should just think I am working with breeders.'

She smiles at me and nods, then looks around the Grove as she asks, "Free?"

5 Butterfree answer her call and line up near me, including the peach colored one. They nod and present themselves to me as if showing off their body's strength and power. 

I smile at them and even pet them one by one, but turn my attention back to the Mega. 

"Sorry, your majesty, but if it alright with you and with them, I would actually like to take this Metapod with me," I say and pat the beaten-up Metapod at my feet while it looks up at me in shock. "This little guy defended the others from 6 Beedrills and stayed in the fight even when it had massive injuries. Not only that but when I went to heal it, it told me to heal the others first. This act of heroism and bravery won my heart and I knew that, if it accepted, it would be the perfect addition to my team. I am sorry, but I am not sure how to tell the gender of a Metapod..." I finish lamely scratching the back of my head.

"Pod." It says.

"Male," Pyra answers. 

"Then what do you say, buddy? Want to come with me and help protect Pokemon everywhere?" I ask him with a gentle smile. 

The Metapod looks up at his queen who nods with a smile of her own, then looks back to me with a full-body head nod.

"Metapod!" It says excitedly. I hold out a Pokeball to it and it taps the button, joining my team willingly. All the Pokemon in the clearing, as well as April, cheer as I let out the Metapod again. My Pokemon rush in to greet their new friend and brother. 

We spend the next 30 minutes in the glade, playing with and greeting all the Pokemon. Myself and Thorn got surrounded again and we take another picture of me with Butterfrees all around to show Lara. She might actually like this one! The Mega, I found out through Pyra, was from a trainer who had passed away and choose to return to protect its kin in the forest. I offered to add another band of leather around the necklace so that it doesn't break and the queen gladly agreed. She even let me pet her and take a picture with her afterward. All in all, it was a great end to my adventures in the Viridian Forest. 

I packed up the barries in my barry case - I will sort them later - and we waved goodbye to all the Pokemon. I promised to visit again if I was ever in the area. Our group followed the path back out of the Butterfree Grove and made our way to the path with the help of the Peach Butterfree and the one who lead us, which I found out was her mate. They parted after a couple more pets and goodbyes and it was back to just April, my Pokemon, our newest edition, and myself. 

I looked at my watch and saw it was 3 pm, so I said, "Let's head back."

"Yup." April says, "You are amazing." She affirms her previous statement. "You were offered a variant, the whole reason you came in here,  but instead you picked the one that protected the others. Not many would have made that decision in your shoes. People only ever look for power in their Pokemon."

I smile as I pat the hard shell of the Metapod in my arms - He seemed fine with me carrying him now. "I picked the best one." I answer, "Strength comes in many forms, and bravery in the face of overwhelming defeat and the tenacity to put others before yourself, even at great cost to you, is a power that not many Pokemon, or humans for that matter, possess. I made the right choice." The Metapod hums in my arms approvingly.

"I guess you did," She says with a grin of her own, "Also, I didn't know you were working for breeders?"

"My family, The Cambridges, are breeders and I am looking to expand our business." I lie easily. It is a little white lie, really. It's true that I had a list they had sent me of Pokemon they were interested in breeding and offered to pay me for catching, so I didn't feel too bad about lying to her.

"Oh, right! I know them! They breed Growlithes and Ponytas, right?"

"Yup, but they want to expand into more fire types. They are currently building a habitat for Charmanders and they have many others planned."

"That's cool! So you are catching Pokemon for them on the side. It's nice that you are working with your family. Most trainers lose sight of all else and just focus on the Leauge."

We continue to talk back and forth as we make our way out of the forest. When we get back to the entrance, I greet Roger and a depressed Megan. I give in and agree to take a picture with the group and sign some autographs for them before heading back through Route 2 and towards Viridian City.

On our way, I stop and battle a couple of trainers...mostly bug catchers...and stomp the floor with them. Pyra needs some rest so I use Thorn for the first time...who one-shots all of them with Dragon Rage. He strikes some really cool poses as he fights and Celeste is gushing about him the whole way back.

'Why, Though? I really want to know. Why all Bug Pokemon? Where and how is that a good strategy? Oh, well...'

As we are nearing the city, Celeste speaks to me in my head.

{The Three were very impressed. They seem to have a high opinion of you.}

"That's great! ...I totally forgot about them," I admit with a laugh.

{Really? I thought that was the reason you stepped in with the Beedrills?}

"Nah. The only reason that was a tough fight was that Pyra wanted to show off." I say and smirk at Pyra as she hovers near me. She has been having a blast flying around in the open but is a bit tuckered out from the evolution and all that flying. I reach out to pet her and she nips my hand playfully. Feisty little minx! She allows me after my second attempt and nuzzles into my hand. "If Angie, Thorn, and you got involved from the start, we would have knocked them out in a couple of seconds flat."

'Anyone who has played D&D from Max's world knows the boss is only tough until you have 6 PC's hitting it at the same time.'

{I guess that's true...still it was a bit reckless don't you think?}

"Maybe, but I followed my gut." Here I pat my Metapod again, "It worked out in the end...but you're right. I should be more careful next time."

{...I just don't want my new family to get hurt...} She says in a quiet voice and that stops me short. Since I have met her, she has been a bit annoying to deal with...but...maybe she is not so bad after all. 

I reach down with my free hand and scratch her behind the ears as well. "Thanks for worrying about me, Celeste," I say and smile down at her. She smiles back and we continue on towards the city.

* | * | *

We enter the city at close to 5:30 pm and meet up with a sparkling Lara, done from her spa day...who refuses to even touch me. She squeals in delight and hugs Pyra tight, though, congratulating her on the evolution.

'Damn. She knows me too well.'

I ignore her complaints and pull her into a tight hug and give her a kiss. She proceeds to hit my arm several times after I show her the picture of all the Caterpie and Weedles all over me. We all laugh at her expense as any good family would.

"Seriously, Finn," She complains, "I am not touching you again until you take at least 5 showers..."

'Challenge accepted.'

We head to the buffet and have a wonderful meal with our Pokemon. Pyra eats so much that I pay for an additional Pokemon to make up for her...the glutton is gonna make me broke! I tell Lara all about my day and she makes friends with my Metapod, despite it being a bug type. She loves the pictures I took from the grove and even hijacks a couple to put on her PokeGram. The one of me and the Mega and well as me surrounded by Butterfrees is put on our couples PokeGram. I can already feel my phone buzzing from messages in my pocket. She also immediately friend requests April and Megan and they start chatting about things as well, much to their delight.

Lara tells me about her day, in turn, which is filled with Fan Girls followed by a super relaxing afternoon at the spa. She shares with me that she was gifted a Golden Magicarp from a rich guy who was trying to hit on her at the event and that she decided to keep it and name it Paul. She thanked the guy, then left him there without another word. Savage AF as always, Lara. I raise my eyebrow at her. 

'Welp. She was bound to get her first variant eventually...still...a Red Gyarados will be pretty badass for her team.'

We head back to the hotel after our meal, this was our second to last night here and tomorrow we will spend lazing about before we head out for Pewter City on a route around the forest that will take us 2 days. That leaves us with one day to prepare in Pewter City before our first gym battle. I stress to Lara that we don't have time to run off and check for other things on the route, as we have to get there in 2 days. She pouts but agrees nonetheless. We will be taking on a bigger challenge than normal Jr. League trainers do at the gyms and it will even be broadcasted across the region. Hopefully, our teams are enough to get us the win. I have no idea how this tougher challenge is gonna work.

'Do they just use one of their own Pokemon? No way will I will be able to beat a World Trainer's team, so I bet they will just use a harder team than they normally would or add additional rules to spice things up or something...'

Once we are settled, I pull the Metapod into my lap and explain to him about Lara and me, my quest, and our circumstances like I did with all the others. I also offer him the name I chose for him.

"In Max's world, there was a movie about a King who faced unbeatable odds and stood his ground no matter what. He and his army of 300 stood against the might of an enemy army of 300,000. When I saw you today I knew at once that you were my pick and I also was reminded of this great fabled king. Your bravery and refusal to yield in the face of danger were incredibly inspirational to me. That is why I would like to name you Leonidas, the same name as that king. What do you think?"

Leonidas nods enthusiastically and everyone piles in to hug and support our new, brave family member. He should be close to evolving, so I will be able to heal him up and get rid of most of his scars when he does. Either way, he will be a fuckin badass Butterfree one way or another. 

I could give him a rare candy or two to force it, but my thought of Jeremy and his puny Charmeleon sticks in my mind. No reason to rush. He will get there when it is his time. I am not 100% sure, but I have a hunch natural evolutions are always better than artificially induced ones. 

I take a really long shower until Lara is satisfied and we cuddle up for the night, Leonidas choosing to sleep in the window sill basking in the moonlight. I think over the day and the few days of our journey so far. It already feels like we have been out here for weeks when it has only really been a couple of days. I smile as I think of the plan Max and I came up with all those years ago. It will be a while before I catch something else, but that is okay. I need to focus on training up the team I have currently. 

I fall asleep with thoughts of winning the Jr. League Championship Tournament with my overpowered team and smile at what is to come.

Thanks for reading! The polls for Celeste are below if you have a second. 

I wanted to give an estimated level of each of their teams so the readers have a better understanding of where their power levels are at. Keep in mind that Finn and Lara trained with Pyra and Grace almost every day for 11 years and created a huge club dedicated to training and battling at school - That is why they are at such a high level. 

Spoiler

Finn's Team:

  • Pyra: Charizard - 36
  • Angie: Jolteon - 12
  • Celeste: Mew - 13
  • Thorn: Dratini - 15
  • Leonidas: Metapod - 9

Lara's Team:

  • Grace: Flareon - 34
  • Jeffery: Rhyhorn - 15
  • Paul: Magikarp - 5
[collapse]

Lastly, if you are wondering how I pick the moves they have, I look at what the Pokemon had at their levels in all 8 generations and if they had a move in one generation at their level, then they have it here. For instance, Charmander learns Metal Claw at level 13 in Gen 3 so Pyra has it now in my world. This applies to all Pokemon, not just Finn & Lara's. I have fun looking through the lists on Bulbapedia. lol Makes the move pools more interesting to me. =)

Celeste & Skull Candy (Choose 2)
  • Celeste Is Fine To Get Better Over Time Votes: 130 92.9%
  • Celeste Needs To Get Better Now As She Is Causing Me To Dislike The Story Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Skull Candy Is Fine Votes: 99 70.7%
  • Skull Candy Has To Go Votes: 17 12.1%
Total voters: 140
47