11 server-suggested writing tools for 2023!
124 7 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

11 server-suggested writing tools for 2023!

With thanks to: floofylove, avaseofpeonies, Ame-Tora, Moonpearl, bafflinghaze, tiaf, and RedEmber.

 

There are countless writing tools out there. Which one is your favourite? Here are eleven tools that our BL writers use!

 

1. Pen and paper 

First up, the trusty pen and paper (or pen and notebook). With literally hundreds of different paper and notebook options, and thousands of pen and pencil options, you can easily customize your pen and paper game to fit your preferences.

notebook.png

Best features:

  • Does not rely on electricity 
  • Not vulnerable to program or connection malfunctions 
  • Physical output
  • You have full control of page formatting, and can doodle on the page
  • Easy to customise

 

2. Microsoft Word

Microsoft Word is the leading document processor. Many of us already use it for study and work, so this makes it easy to use it for writing, too. (Sadly, if your computer runs Linux, you will not be able to use this program.)

Word screen shot

Best features:

  • Easier revisions than pen+paper, since all text can be moved around and deleted at will
  • Does not need an internet connection
  • Has a spelling checker and add-ons like thesaurus
  • Can be synced to cloud through OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.
  • Free mobile version

 

3. OpenOffice

OpenOffice is the open source, free alternative office suite for various programs, including Word. 

OpenOffice Writer’s very easy to use if you’ve used Word already, and it can open Word document files too.

3.OpenOffice.png

Best features:

  • Same perks as Word except for OneDrive
  • Unlike word, works on Linux
  • Completely free
  • Has a portable PC version to consume less resources

 

4. Google Docs

Google Docs is a free online word processor. It can’t reliably run offline like Microsoft Word and OpenOffice Writer, nor can you tweak as many of its settings. Instead, Google Docs contains a gamut of extra features, such as appscript and extensions that you can use to customize your experience. It also has stronger support for collaborative writing, such as the suggestion mode. 

Google docs

Best features:

  • Can run Grammarly and other extensions
  • Easy to share with beta readers or editors
  • Has a built in spelling and grammar checker
  • Edit history allows for an easy look at old drafts
  • Works in progress are harder to lose in case of hard drive failure or theft

 

5. SmartEdit Writer

SmartEdit Writer is a software that can help you plan and write your novel scene by scene or chapter by chapter, with an integrated way to manage research materials and notes. Since you can open each scene or chapter individually, it can work quite well for long novels.

SmartEdit Writer screenshot

Best features:

  • Organization with folders, scenes, and notes. 
  • Free

 

6. Grammarly

Grammarly is an online tool that can help check your spelling, grammar, punctuation, clarity, etc. It can catch many mistakes that word processors like Word miss, and it’s helpful when you don’t have a beta reader of your own.

Grammarly

Best features:

  • Checks spelling and grammar
  • Helpful to catch typos

 

7. Dragon and Dragon Anywhere

Dragon and Dragon Anywhere are speech-to-text programmes. Dragon is the whole programme you can buy and download on your computer, but is kind of expensive; Dragon Anywhere is their mobile app you can get for a $15 dollar per month subscription. If you are unable to sit and type for long periods of time, this program can be very useful as you dictate.

Dragon Anywhere screenshot

Best features:

  • Write out your story without having to type
  • Reduce wrist and eye fatigue

 

8. Seventh Sanctum

Seventh Sanctum is a completely free website full of a variety of generators, from names to love interest descriptions.

8.SeventhSanctum.png

Best features:

  • Find names for a variety of people, places, objects etc. that suit your setting.

 

9. Donjon

Donjon is a fantasy map generator. You can play around with the amount of water versus land and such. They have other generators too, like fantasy calendars.

9.Donjon.png

Best features:

  • Generates all sorts of maps

 

10. Notion

Notion is productivity and note-taking web application, which you can also use for writing. For example, you can use it to gather notes and create a little wiki or glossary for your story. You can import docx files too.

10.Notion.png

Best features:

  • Easy to use
  • Embed all kinds of media

 

11. Obsidian

Obsidian is an open source notetaking program that allows users to link notes together logically. Users can use it to make nonlinear notes, going off on tangents before returning to a main theme or storyline. Obsidian notes are markdown language files, meaning that users can type normally or use markdown syntax to format their text. 

11.Obsidian.png

Best features:

  • Easy to link pages together
  • Notes can branch out on as many different trains of thought as the author requires
  • Many plugins and themes for customization
  • Works offline, all files stored locally
  • Concept map allows for writers to see how their world connects

Conclusion

There are hundreds of different writing tools – or tools that can be repurposed for writing – out there. Do you use any of these? Do you use them in combination, or in a workflow? Is there a great feature of these tools that we missed? Do you love another tool that we haven’t mentioned here? Please comment down below!

 

 

10