Chapter 36- Grown Up Stuff
414 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thursday, Seven am, Dan’s Apartment 
  
Rica sat on her bed pulling her knee high winter boots on when someone knocked on her bedroom door. 
  
“I’m not here!” she yelped. 
  
“But Rica, I want to jump on you bed!” cried a tiny voice. 
  
“Kayla?” Rica smiled at first, but then she frowned, “Baby, I know Ko is in the hallway with you, and he just used you to knock on the door for him. And no, you can’t jump on my bed!” 
  
“Aww!” Kayla cried. Silence fell outside the door, before, “Rica, Ko said your skills at percept..um, your skills at..wait.” Followed by, “Ko, tell me again what you want me to say!” 
  
“Oh good grief!” Rica muttered at the nonsense she heard and opened the door. 
  
“Yay!” Kayla ran inside and jumped on the full size comfy bed in Rica’s girly blue room. 
  
But Rica, dressed in dark jeans with a pink sweater top, crossed her arms and glared at Ko through her cute bangs, as he stood in the doorway. Ko bowed while greeting her. 
  
“Good morning, Rica. I hope you’re feeling better.” 
  
“Not particularly,” she deadpanned, “But my mother did explain to me what happened at club Panther last night, pretty boy!” 
  
Ko nodded, “Then you understand I have nothing going on with any of those girls-” 
  
“No, I didn’t conclude that. But I heard that blonde-rifle-bitch called me a chihuahua!” 
  
“Ah!” His eyes widened, “I guess I let that information slip to your mother,” he said looking away. 
  
“Right,” she squinted, “And yet you continued to sip vodka and dance with that Hungarian-Hussy, didn’t you?” 
  
Ko shook his head, “Are you just making up these names on the spot?” 
  
“Why, would you like one for yourself? Because I have plenty!” she hissed. 
  
He backed off. “You know, I can’t tell if you’re serious or not. I mean come on Rica, we’re mechanics! Our profession provides that we get into situations like last night-” 
  
“No, Ko!" She poked his chest, "You get yourself into situations like last night because you always have to rescue every Suzy or Donna who utters your god-damn name!”  
  
“Hmm.” He took a breath, “That was circumstance, yes. But helping that girl wasn’t our only mission, since now we-” 
  
Rica gaped at him, “Hunting dog, are you changing the subject on me?” 
  
“Hunh?” He answered with a puzzled face before sitting down on her bed. “I see now. Rica, I’m sorry if I caused you grief, but please consider that I don’t want innocents getting hurt because of my actions.” 
  
“Tch!” She sucked her teeth at his answer but she didn’t hurl back and yell at him. For she understood that deep inside Ko’s Busan-Bad-Boy swagger and pride, he was actually a softie, even a square sometimes. And although she’d never admit it in public she adored that about him. 
  
Rica turned to the baby laying on the bed, “Kayla, honey. Go help Dan pack. You guys are going out to Long Island for the weekend.” 
  
“Eh? Nyo!” Kayla hid her face in the bed. “I want to stay with you!” 
  
“Me and Ko have to talk about grown up stuff, since he’s so responsible for all of his women.” Rica lifted Kayla off the bed and kissed her good before shooing her out the door. 
  
“But Rica, where’s mommy? Is she going out to Long Island?” Kayla asked before leaving. 
  
“She’ll be there before you know it. Now go on and help Dan!” said Rica. 
  
“Ok~” she squeaked while scurrying down the hall. 
  
Eighty Eight Percent
  
Rica closed the door after Kayla left. But when she turned around she found Ko removing a thirty eight revolver long nose from her tactical bag. 
  
“What are you doing?” she accused. 
  
Ko squinted and displayed the weapon, “Are you taking this out to Long Island?” 
  
“Yes,” Rica said grabbing it from Ko. “It’s a Smith and Wesson Model 10 .38 Police Special.” She aimed it at the window, “It was Ian’s favorite gun.” 
  
“Old school,” said Ko sitting back on the bed. 
  
“Yup. Will kill you the same though.” She placed the weapon in the bag. “Ko?” 
  
“Yes?” 
  
“You should stop being so cavalier with your own life,” she said seating herself next to him. “Because you won’t be a good father if you’re dead.” 
  
Ko raised his eyebrow, “I’m sorry, what?” 
  
“You heard me! Apparently your little method of birth control didn’t work, daddy!” 
  
“Uh!” He calmly sat up. “Rica, are you saying-” 
  
“Yes, Ko. I’m pregnant, and it’s yours!” She stood up, and so did he. 
  
“Rica..” he grabbed her hand. But she squinted at him. 
  
“What, Ko?” 
  
“I-” Their eyes met, “This is excellent news, and I want to be a great dad,” he whispered while touching her belly. 
  
Rica blushed. “Really? That’s wonderful!” she squeaked, “Because I don’t care what anyone says I’m keeping him.” 
  
“Him?” Ko eyes widened. 
  
“Oh, I don’t know gender yet. To be honest I’m only eighty eight percent sure I’m pregnant. That’s why I’m going to a special lab in the city for a second opinion. Bling is coming to pick me up,” said Rica. 
  
“Ah..” Ko gulped, his eyes now excited. “Um, are you sure you don’t want me to go with you?” he asked. 
  
Rica tilted her head at him, “Hunh? Well I didn’t exactly expect this reaction from you, hee!” She smiled. “But no, Bling and me will handle it. But you, dog. I expect that you’ll be needed by Tara after that stunt you and my mom pulled hanging out with those Rifle Girls last night.” 
  
“Well.” Ko wouldn’t let go of her hand as he searched for the words. “I think you’re right. Jun-Seo pretty much declared war on the Turks last night and-” 
  
“You expect him to come running to Tara, tail in between his legs, eh?” said Rica with a smirk. She was on to Ko’s plan. 
  
“Pretty much,” he answered. “And once that happens Jun-Seo will drop any thoughts of trying to use Kayla to bargain with as he won’t have any leverage.” But after Ko spoke he stared at Rica’s slim tight gut. 
  
“Stop looking down there, you troublemaker!" she growled, "Unless you’re gonna carry him for me!” 
  
“I would if I could” Ko smiled, “A son, that is.” 
  
“What?” Rica squinted, “So you don’t want a daughter?” 
  
“We shouldn’t have a daughter,” said Ko. “Because if we did I would dote on her and spoil her so rotten!” He lowered his head in shame. “I’d be a terrible father and you’d hate me.” 
  
“Pfft!” Rica held back a laugh and stroked his hair. “So you admit you’re a sucker for all the girls, and if you had a daughter-” 
  
“-I’d never tell her no and she'd walk all over me!” he sank deeper in shame. 
  
“Hahahahah! Ko, you’re so ridiculous, nya!” She kissed his head. 
  
“Oh?” Ko looked up, but Rica frowned at him. 
  
“I didn’t kiss you because I like you, dog! I kissed you because you were cute, and there’s a difference! Hmph!” she crossed her arms with a pout. 
  
Ko blushed, “Of course. I-” Suddenly his phone buzzed, it was Gun Kae. Ko answered in English, “Hello, Gun? What’s up? Jun-Seo called you? How predictable. Ok, I’m on my way to you now. Afterwards we’ll go see Jun-Seo. Cool, later.” He hung up.  
  
Rica stared at Ko with a half smirk, “So you gonna meet with that idiot Jun-Seo? What are ya’ll gonna do, form a band?” 
  
Ko grinned and pulled Rica close. “Maybe next week if we’re all still alive. But you. You’re going to Long Island with Dan and Kayla?” 
  
“Yeah, later. First I have to run some errands in the city,” she answered hugging him. 
  
“Where’s Reyna?” 
  
“Being mysterious,” said Rica. “But I’m sure she went to see Tara this morning. But Ko!” 
  
“Yes?” 
  
Rica wanted to scold him but his sweetness tempered her words. “Stop saving everyone. The only person you need to rescue are yourself, me, and this baby. Because all those stupid little girls won't be there for you, Ko! Do you hear me?” 
  
“Ah.” Ko closed his eyes. “Yes Rica, I hear you.” He touched her belly. “But I am who I am. So the only thing I can promise is to do my best to stay alive, and I'm pretty good at that, heh!” he grinned.  
  
Rica shook her head and hugged him tighter. “Jeeziz Ko, you’re a disaster.” 
  
Ko shamefully nodded in agreement, “It's the way I'm built." 

"I know." She stroked his hair. "But I want you to remember something." 

"Remember what?" he asked.  

Rica scowled and locked eyes with him. "Before you go running off to deal with that huckster Jun-Seo Kim you just remember.... 

 

...you're no good to me dead!" 

..

10