Chapter 4: IN THE NAVY! IN THE NAVY!
9.6k 27 214
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been 18 months now that Rick arrived in the world of One Piece.

18 months of serious training.

 

Gone was the frail little 4 years old boy, instead a young lad of 1.30m (Author note: remember everyone: metric system, best system) replaced him. 

Rick had used his power to enhance his body Goku style. By increasing the gravity around him or on himself, he made his bones and muscles sturdier.

His new height was a surprise, he didn’t think he would be nearly as tall as an average 10 years old when he’s not even 6 yet.

He had to endured the many days and nights of bone pain, a sign of growth, without any difficulty most of the time.

That one time where he grew 2cm in one single night was the worst, but he endured it too.

 

With his new body he really looked like a 10 years old kid.

Though a 10 years old kid that could wipe the floor of a dozen average adults, but that is a well kept secret.

 

Rick chose to undergo his training far for praying eyes in the forest near LogueTown. It was not easy at first to substantiate himself quickly with his gravity powers, learned how to hunt and was self-sufficient.

 

Today was the day Rick would join the Marines. He wanted at least to be a 6 month old rookie before the death of the Pirate king, so he may have some ways to witness it with a better view.

 

‘ I did it in time, I trained and changed enough to join the marines before Roger’s death. Now, direction the marine quarter!’

 

Rick made his way across LogueTown, news of the capture of the king of Pirates could be heard here and there.

He would be executed here in his birthplace in six months.

 

He finally arrived at the wanted place and looked up the symbol of the Marines corps. A blue sea colored board with the word marine in capitale written on it, with the symbol of a flying seagull upon what looked like 2 half moons connected by a line.

On the right and left side of the board were floating a flag of the world government.

 

‘Let’s get started’

 

Rick entered the building and went straight to the reception deck.

There a tall and slim marine was sitting behind the desk, his head resting on his head, clearly bore out of his mind.

 

“Hello sir.”

 

“Hello kid if you’re lost there is a map of the map behind you.”

The marine barely looked at him, as if he was not his problem and if he were that would not matter either.

 

“ I’m not lost, sir. I’m right where I want to be.”

 

“Well, what do you want from the marines kid?”

 

The marine thought of ignoring the kid, but since he was bored to death he decided to at least hear the kid, if not to help him at least alleviate his boredom for a bit.

 

“I want to enroll into the marines corps”

 

The bored man was speechless, and looked at Rick with an expression that said “ Whaaaaaaat?”, then started laughing.

 

“Hahaha, you brat want to join the marine? Best joke of the year, hahaha.”

 

“That’s not a joke, I want to join.” replied Rick with conviction.

“ Come back when you don’t have milk around the corner of your mouth, kid. No go back to your mommy before she starts worrying.”

 

Two marines arrived from the door in the back, curious about why their comrade was laughing so loud.

 

“Hey, what’s so funny?”

“Yeah, what is? And why don’t you share it with us? Since vice-admiral Garp came here, there is nothing to do, pirates lay low and we’re bored.”

“That kid want to join the marines corps”

 

“What kid?”

 

The two new marines passed the front desk to see what their colleague was talking about. They froze when sey saw Rick and started laughing too.

 

Rick was beginning to be irritated. Those three behaviors were not becoming of a marine, though it was not surprising, in One Piece the marine was not nearly as righteous as they pretended to be.

 

“What’s so funny about me wanting to join the marines?” said Rick with anger.

 

“Oh my God he’s so cute” said one while the two others were laughing louder and louder.

 

Rick was about to lash out when he heard a loud and  deep voice, full of authority.

 

“ What is going on here?”

 

The voice came from behind Rick, from outside.

 

The three marines immediately stood to attention, saluting the man entering the building.

“““ Sir!”””

 

“ I asked you a question “

 

The three stooges started to panic, Vice-admiral Garp didn’t seem to be in a good mood.

 

Rick then, took his chance, stood to attention, and did a military salute.

 

“I wish to join the marine, sir!”

 

“Ha! You’re too young for that brat, go home!”

 

The stooges furtively snickered.

 

“I don’t have a home to go back to,sir, and I will not leave until I’m officially accepted as a new recruit, sir.”

 

Garp understood why his men were laughing so loud.

‘He’s so serious for a brat that’s hilarious. Though I got to say the determination in his eyes is real. Cute but real.’

 

Garp stood in silence looking at Rick wondering if he should test him or not, just so he could teach him that enrolling in the marine was a serious matter.

 

‘On one hand is just a brat, about what? 10 years old? On the other hand, it seems like the kid has nowhere to go and the marine is not one to reject the applicants. Besides, this determination…. 

 

Alright let’s test him’

 

“Are you sure about that kid ? There is no going back, the life of a marine is hard. Always fighting and hellish training.”

 

As he said those words, Garp used his aura on the kid before him. Not Emperor Haki per see, Garp was no fool, he just wanted to test the kid and haki would have made him pass out.

No, what Garp used was the aura of experience, experience gained after years of fighting, that only veteran possess, the aura of the strong.

 

Rick’s body shook.

 

‘Holy shit, that guy is a beast, I mean I knew that, but knowing and feeling it are two different matters. I need to stand my ground. Here, what do you think of that, old man.’

 

Despite his body shaking, Rick raises his head and looks at Garp dead in the eye, mustering every ounce of his will power. If Garp wanted to pressure him with his aura then he would pressure Garp back.

 

“Yes, sir. I’m sure.”

 

He then activated his gravity on Garp and poured everything he could onto him.

 

‘What the…’

 

Garp could feel a pressure on him, he didn't know what it was but he did know it came from the kid. The pressure was strong, an average soldier would be on the ground right now unable to stand it

 

‘I pressure you, you pressure me? Ha! What an interesting kid.’

 

Garp smiled.

 

“You got a whole pack of guts kid. Trying to put pressure on a vice-admiral? I can count on one hand the number of adults that would try that on me. I got to say, I’m impressed”.

 

The three stooges were dumbfounded. How could a brat stand Vice-admiral Garp’s aura? Who was that kid?

They had so many questions to ask but Garp interrupted their train of thought.

 

“You, go prepare a resting place for our new recruit, you, go find the papers needed for him to enroll, and you go prepare the training ground, I’m gonna train the kid, I’m in a good mood now.”

 

No one had to say anything more to them. They ran to do their duties as if their lives depended on it.

Why ? 

Because their superior took a liking to the kid they made fun of.

Knowing how loony Garp was, they certainly didn’t want to stay here.

 

Once his men left Garp asked the kid.

 

“Kid, what’s your name and age?”

 

“My name is Rick Wald and I’m almost ten, sir.”

 

“Why do you want to join the marine corps?”

 

‘Don’t say to help his grandson become the pirate king, don’t say it, don’t say it!’

 

“Oh, embarrassed aren’t you?” smirked Garp

 

‘Come on Rick you got it. Lie through your teeth, lie through your teeth!’

 

“ I… I want to see the world! I want to protect people who can’t protect themselves!”

 

“And.. And most of all… I want to bring to justice every evil doer that I met or hear of! ”

 

“You got big dreams kid.”

 

“And I want to be the greatest Fleet Admiral the Marine will ever know!”

 

Garp laughed. He laughed and laughed at the kid’s words. They were so big for one so young and so small.

After bringing his laughter under control Garp declare to Rick:

 

“Very well kid, follow me, and you may be able to realize your dreams!”

 

‘ He has his heart in the right place, if he trains well he’ll be a good marine. Time will tell how good. ’

 

“YES SIR!”

 

“ That’s the spirit! ”

 

Garp started walking towards the training ground followed closely by Rick

 

“Hmm, Sir?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“What is your name, sir ?” said Rick sheepishly

 

Garp almost stumbles to the ground. Almost. He looked at Rick dumbfounded then gathered himself.

 

“ My name is Monkey D. Garp, Vice admiral of the marine corps.”

 

‘Hehe, take that old man, that’s for pressuring a kid.’

 

Rick will for the next few years regret making fun of Garp as the Vice-admiral didn’t miss the mischievousness in his eyes.

 

‘Don’t blame me kid, you asked for it’ thought Garp with a smile.

214