Chapter 4 – Somewhat Responsible
5.7k 21 184
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4 - Somewhat Responsible

Monday Morning - Himitsu Academy - Class 2A

The hero is dead. The hero is dead. The hero is dead. theheroisdeadtheheroisdeadtheheroisdeadtheheroisdeadtheheroisdeadtheheroisdead

Over and over these words ring in my mind. This is my fault. I did this. All these people are crying now because of me. I tried to avoid being a villain and I ended up destroying the whole fucking plot!

'What the fuck? ...this wasn't supposed to be like this. He was supposed to be here, alive and well, and defeat the forces of evil with his harem. He was supposed to take Diana off my-'

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Diana. What the hell do I do with her crazy now!?!

'Deep breaths Zen, deep breaths. We got this. Just do what you always do. Analyze the situation, connect the dots, and start damage control.'

What are the facts and problems?

  1. The protagonist is dead.
  2. I am somewhat responsible.
    1. I am not completely responsible since I did not order them to kill him and his family.
    2. But I am still partially at blame because if I hadn't broken from them so soon, I could have stopped this. 
  3. Diana. Nuff said.
  4. Harem members
    1. I don't know all their names, except for Hagiwara Kitinara next to me, - Their characters were pretty, but their personalities seemed bland and boring! - but I do remember a bit of their backstory and their cliches.
      1. Hagiwara Kitinara is a Kitsune Princess
      2. Harem Member 2 is a magical girl
      3. Harem Member 3 is The  Demon Lord's Daughter and Princess of the Demon Lands - Why so many princesses??? 
      4. Harem Member 4 is a Fenrir Princess - Because, of course, she is. There was only 1 Fenrir in Norse Mythology writer!
    2. I feel somewhat responsible for ensuring that they get a happy ending - at least up to the end of the story I know. Minus the harem, of course. After that, they are on their own. #NotMyProblemAnymore
      1. The writing, as I have mentioned on a few occasions, sucks ass. Each of them is destined to lose all of their family and friends from a series of attacks that start the week of the beginning of the story, and they will only have the hero left to support them. All for the sake of the harem "Plot." Meanwhile, his family was perfectly fine. Fucking dumb. Without the hero, they will lose everything and have nothing left and no one to rely on.
      2. Too tragic for me. Especially considering I can curb stomp all those who would attack them in a few seconds. I will prevent their tragic backstories from happening and remain hidden and unseen while I do. Superhero? Sure, I can do that for a week.
      3. I fucked their happy ever after, so let's at least make sure their family and friends stay alive in this reality. Then there is no need for them to rely on someone and they can live normal, haremless lives. The perfect ending.
  5. The story
    1. The story starts when a transfer student, the Demon Lord's daughter, comes to class. She would usually be here to meet with her childhood crush, Hikaru, but that is not gonna happen anymore. She is a beautiful, silver-haired, bombshell, standing 5'11" and with deep and menacing red eyes. She is quite the looker and all the guys in the class are at the edges of their seats admiring her.

How do I know all this? Because she is standing at the front of the class right now. 

'Fucking shit nuggets! Can I call a time out to think a bit!?!'

"Now class, I know this has already been quite the eventful day, but we have 1 more announcement to make. This is our new transfer student Sophia Akura. She has come from Russia and will be studying with us until the end of next year. Would you like to give your introduction, Akura?" Our Sensei says with a strained smile.

Spoiler

Sophia Akura - Princess of the demon realm known as The Untouchable Realm located in Russia.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ec/7a/45/ec7a45ec80391ec340953d7b5ceb5fd8.jpg

[collapse]

She nods and stands tall and proud, "My name is Sophia Akura, my hobbies are dancing and fighting, and," here she collapses in on herself, hunching over and touching her pointer fingers together while hiding her blush with her long bangs, "I am here to meet and marry my fiance Hikaru!"

Silence greets her words.

"Oh, dear...Sweetheart...Let's step out into the hall for a second." Our teacher says, tears brimming in her eyes.

The class watches in silence as she leaves and 5 seconds later there is a loud scream followed by a *Thud.*

Sasumi-sensei rushes back into the classroom and scans the students. "Asuda can I ask you to transport Akura to the nurse's office, please? ...Zeneff, would you join as well? We might as well show you where it is and he will probably need your help to carry her."

The male class rep, apparently named Asuda, and I nod and stand up. We walk out in the hallway to see Akura passed out on the ground, swirls in her eyes. I look at him expectantly and he pushes his glasses up with his middle finger dramatically, strikes a pose, and clenches his fist which is wrapped in bandages. 

"Sorry, Zeneff, but I do not dare touch her with my tainted hands. The great, evil power that I have sealed within my right hand and left eye might be released if I touch someone such as herself."

I roll my eyes. Great a Chuuni. How original...fucking author, can't you give it a-

I freeze when I feel a dark and powerful presence lock its eyes on me. Scratch that, two very dark and powerful beings are now paying full attention to me. I look up at him in horror and scan him magically.

Big mistake.

I cut it off immediately and my face grows pale as cold sweat runs down my back. I saw two...somethings. Two beings no mortals should ever see.

'Holy shit, he really does have two powers sealed in his right hand and left eye. Old Gods, no less...How...How is he still alive?'

I smile at him and bow as if there is nothing wrong. The beings saw me see them and they know exactly what I am. Time to kiss some ass.

"I had no idea you were the vessel of two such powers, Kuronobu-dono, forgive my rudeness. I will of course be happy to carry her for you if you would be so kind as to lead the way."

He looks at me in shock for a second before a wide smile appears on his face...He does know that he isn't just messing around, right? He knows he actually has two entities that could destroy the world with a bling inside him, right?

I feel both presences laugh in a way that makes me want to claw my eyes out and tear my ears off.

Nope. He doesn't know. Well, he is fucked. Both presences leave, or rather are no longer focused on me and I sigh in relief. Adding that to the growing list of #NotMyProblem.

"I am glad you know of my true powers, perhaps we can be comrades in arms against the forces of The Night Council?"

"Sure, count on me anytime Kuronobu-dono, but might I suggest something?"

He nods and I continue, "Instead of openly assisting you, what if I infiltrate this Night Council and provide you with information on their movements? You can better prepare yourself for the inevitable battle to come. I am nowhere near as strong as you or your patrons, as I am sure you are aware, and I feel this will be a much better use of my skills." This was all technically true.

I am not sure how this kid knows, but The Night Council was the name of the leadership group in the organization I was in charge of...one of them must be pulling some strings. 

He looks crestfallen.

'Wait...does the poor kid just want to make some friends? That...is actually really, really sad.'

Despite my pitying look, he quickly agrees.

"O-of course! That would indeed suit you best... M-Maybe we can exchange phone numbers?" He starts out strong and confident, but by the end, he just sounds depressed with a twinge of hope sprinkled in.

I nod to him respectfully and give him my number. I am not going to hang out with this walking nightmare, but I will be kind to him. No need to make enemies that could destroy this world. 

I pick up Akura in a princess carry and quickly follow the ecstatic teen as he shares what he knows about The Night Council. He even knows something of the great battle to come...I pale again when all of it is true or likely to happen - At least if the original author was still in charge.

I keep silent, though, and drop Akura off at the nurse's office, explain she collapsed, and we continue back to class. Before we enter, I bow to him again and say,

"Kuronobu-dono, thank you for the information. I will text you progress reports as I can and we can communicate by phone to keep our cover. Let's continue the ruse of being only classmates for now and we can decide on times to meet up and exchange information. Public areas like movie theaters, arcades, and shopping malls would be best for this." I say with a smile up at him.

Asuda's face goes through a multitude of emotions until he settles on a look that was so happy he could cry...Correction, he was crying.

'Alright, I admit to hypocrisy. Sue me. I felt for the guy... I didn't have friends in my past life either...I will hang out with him every once in a while. No reason for me to be a dick to him, old Gods or not.'

"Yes!" He shouts loudly, then coughs loudly to cover his embarrassment, before continuing more quietly, "That would indeed be agreeable, Zeneff...but please call me Asuda, if you don't mind...There really is no reason to be so formal with me...Maybe we can even create a secret handshake!...J-Just so I will know it is you when we meet, you see!" He says stuttering and giving the lame excuse.

Spoiler

Asuda Kuronobu - The not-so Chunni

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/zaimokuza_yoshiteru.jpg

[collapse]

"You got it Asuda." I say with a smile causing him to beam at me.

We head into the classroom and I take my seat, sighing in relief again at being away from those things

{That was incredibly sweet of you.} A genderless voice says in my mind. 

I turn slowly, as to not draw attention to myself, and see the normal-looking girl sitting next to Asuda staring at me with a sweet smile. She was always the one that teased him the most about being a Chunni in the manga. She is pretty, but does not stand out much in a class full of anime-perfected beauties. She has long black hair that she lets lie straight, a slender, petite figure, and...fathomless black voids for eyes.

My eyes bug out. A fucking Cosmic Entity? Really? Why...just...just...Why!?! He has 3 beings that are stronger than anything on this planet watching over him...I nod shakily to her and her smile grows wider.

'She knows I know what she is. Fuck.'

I turn forward again and her gaze eventually leaves me.

'What the fuck is wrong with this story! I thought I was overpowered as the main villain, but a fucking nobody side character is actually infinitely more powerful than I am, just by association! This is all kinds of fucking nope.'

I take a deep shuddering breath to center myself as we begin Math class. 

'Okay. Chill, Zen. Let's get back to things I can handle - My first plan worked out well...for me at least...So let's make a new one.'

Step 1: Protect From Afar.

I will be offering protection to the harem members and their families.

Based on what I remember, Kitinara will be the first to be attacked and lose her entire family and clan. I will start by stalk *Ahem* following her home tonight and will stake out their compound. The attack should happen pretty soon, though I am not sure the exact date...or if it will even come to pass now that I left the organization...

Suposing it does, I just need to rinse and repeat for the rest. A bit troublesome that I will need to go to The Untouchable Realm in Russia, but I should be able to avoid or overpower their wards.

After they all are saved, that is the end of my assistance and involvement with them. The remaining 2 chapters were harem romance shit and that doesn't apply to me at all. 

Step 2: Don't Die From Yanderes.

The next critical step for me is to think of a way to deal with Diana. I don't love her as anything more than my sister, but that hardly seems to matter anymore. I can't dump her on Hikaru any longer, for obvious reasons, and I need to accept and deal with her Yandere tendencies.

1 night a week at mom's place is not going to be enough for her. I might need to let her come visit me at my place 2 or 3 times a week as well. We can have dinner and watch some shows or movies together...I just need to keep us in the open and our contact Rated PG. I need something to control her, but I have no idea what that could possibly be. I still don't want to use my magic on her, but I will do it if I need to. For both our sakes.

The next mess is with Zeneff's mother...I just need to be careful and we will be fine. I am sure of it, everything will be just fine. It is not like she will make a move on me while we are watching movies with everyone else around! I picked the right time to visit and so I should be safe. Hopefully.

Step 3: Same as Steps 3 and 4 from Plan #1

After I assist the harem girls and find a way to deal with Diana, I am done. I can go back to my original plan and live my life peacefully. There are a couple more speedbumps now, but otherwise, I am fine. Everything will work out fine.

I smile to myself and commit to this brilliantly thought-out plan.

'Maybe I am a genius after all?'

Anyway, first up is Kitinara.

I will cover my body in illusion magic to make me blend into the surroundings. She is powerful compared to those around us, maybe even on the same level of power as Diana, but she is nowhere near my level so this should be a cakewalk.  

* | * | *

I text Aki and Ares to let them know I would be home late this week while taking care of some important business, and follow through with what I decided on.

I stand up right as the bell rings so that I can be the first to leave. I had made some friends at lunch but explained that I had plans after school this week so no one would bother me.

I make it past the doorway and into the hall before I sense something approaching, fast. I spin around and catch Diana by her head as she tried to dive into me and tackle me to the ground. 

"Mu~! Why did you stop me Onii-chan?" She asks, puffing out her cheeks.

"We would be blocking the hallway. Come, let's go. I will walk you home." I lie and offer her my arm. I need to get her out of here as soon as possible.

She smiles up at me with genuine happiness, and it kills me that I am gonna have to crush it.

"Okay!" she yells and glomps onto my arm, nearly pulling me to the ground anyway, as we continue down the hallway towards the shoe lockers. I see people we pass staring at us, but I ignore it. I don't have to feel bad about showing affection to my sister. They might call me a brocon...and they would technically be correct...but I had no issues with that.

"How are you feeling?" I ask her as we walk.

"Amazing. I was still dripping your cum out of me Sat-"

I cover her mouth quickly. "Please, don't talk about that at school."

Her eyes turn dangerous and her smile becomes a bit sharp as we walk into the footlocker section of the school entrance. "Why not? Hmm? Why can't I tell people of our love? Are you embarrassed about it? Are you...Are you dating someone else?" Her grip on my arm could crush iron, but it doesn't trouble me much.

"Of course I am embarrassed about it! People don't talk about that kind of stuff openly. And no, I am not. Stop talking nonsense and get your shoes so we can leave," I order her. She stares at me hard for a couple of seconds before pouting and moving to do as I say. 

'Urg. Every day. I am going to have to deal with this every day. Whatever. What's done is done. I will come up with a solution eventually.'

I change out of my indoor shoes and into my outdoor ones as I wait for Diana by the door.

Just outside the entranceway, I see a lost-looking purple-haired girl shuffling from foot to foot. She is looking down the hallway like she is waiting for someone. I don't know her, but she seems vaguely familiar. She is short with long, straight purple hair with a red ribbon tied at the top. 

I am interrupted from my musings as I hear the sound of paper ripping. Looking behind me, I can see Diana ripping up a stack of Love letters that must have been waiting for her in her locker. 

'Oi! People put their hearts into those! Go meet them and fall in love with a normal boy!' 

"Oh...hey, Suki...how are you doing? You spent most of the day in the nurse's office..." Diana says, tossing the ripped remains of the letters in a nearby waistbin before walking up next to me and addressing the girl. 

Right, that explains it. This is the hero's sister; The only surviving Hikaru family member...

She is about Diana's height. 5'5" or so and has striking blue eyes. Her purple hair is long and she tops it with a red bow. She looks lost, sad, and not really present. She wears a school uniform, obviously, and it seems a bit too large for her. Though maybe that is just her style?

Spoiler

Suki Hikaru - The "Hero's" Little Sister

https://www.deviantart.com/anjumaakavampire/art/Anime-Girl-with-Purple-Hair-704524721

[collapse]

"Hmm? Oh...Hello, Diana, I am just waiting for big bro-" This Suki girl smiles back at Diana, though her eyes are sunken and have deep bags under them. Part way through her sentence, shefreezes suddenly, as if only now realizing the person she was waiting for would never come to meet her here again. Her eyes widen before her lip quivers. She then squats down on the ground and starts crying. 

'Poor girl. First name basis with Diana too, so they must be friends.'

Indeed, this appears to be true as Diana lets go of my right arm she had seized in her iron grip once more, and then hurridly runs over to the girl to hug and comfort her. 

I stand there awkwardly for a few seconds and am considering my options, when Diana asks, "Onii-chan, can you teleport us back to my house?"

"...Diana...?" I ask in a warning voice. Talking about our powers in the mundane world is a huge no-no.

"Re~lax, she's an angel. Her mom and dad are archangels. She is in the know."

'Oi! You need to say spoilers before that shit! I am certain now that this has something to do with how the hero was supposed to defeat me. Lightbringer indeed.' 

Okay, wait...How the hell did the organization manage to kill two archangels? I would even have trouble with two at once...okay, not really. Maybe 10 at once?

"I see, alright then," I answer, hiding my sigh before continuing. "Come with me."

I walk around the building to a magically sealed door. Placing my hand on it, I push some magic in and it opens up without issue.

Diana had mentioned these to me before, so I knew what to look for. They were small rooms set up by the school staff that were safe for teleporting out of the school but could not be used to teleport into it. That was one decent idea this world had going for it.

Diana is supporting, a clearly mentally unstable, purple-haired girl as they walk through the door I held open for them. 

"Why is she going with you to Mom's place?" I ask in confusion as I close the door behind us.

"Her family compound was destroyed, and she is living alone in an apartment nearby...I...I don't think it is good for her, Onii-chan. I want to help her. She can stay with us until her parents are unsealed from that barrier. I doubt mom will object. She has always loved Suki."

'Yandere she may be, but she is still a good person deep down, huh? I guess that's why she ended up in the hero's harem...Still, what was it she said..?'

"Barrier?" I ask with a tilt of my head.

"Yes, they were sealed in a barrier talisman...If only you had your memories back...you were always good with barriers-" Diana explains before gasping and falling to her knees beside a suddenly terrified Suki. "Onii-chan..! Your...pressure...too...much..."

I didn't hear her.

Rage built in me like never before.

'Those are my fucking barrier talismans. They wouldn't have been able to make ones strong enough to hold archangels...But...How? I took them all back! I burned them and destroyed them...did...did they steal from me before I left..? These fuckers. They actually stole from me?'

Me!?!

There was going to be Hell to pay. I may have been a loser in my past life but, in this one, I was a powerhouse the likes of which no one was prepared for.

And now, I was pissed.

184