My New Walk to School
2.9k 14 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ishi did not get much sleep last night. How could he after learning about how his life was about to be flipped upside down. And yes, he wasn’t being dramatic about it. Logically speaking, this was only going to bring about change to his daily life. Chances were, not the good kind either.

Groggily, he slung out of bed to get ready for school. The sunrise had lit up his room, as his window didn’t have any shades to block it. His mom always said that it was better that way, so that he wouldn’t sleep in. Though, that was only useful during the Summer, when the sun would actually rise before school was to start. Though the Winter chill was more than enough to get him fully awake thanks to the lack of insulation.

Ishi got up to his feet to take a look outside. His window didn’t gave that great of a view, but he could look into the window to their next neighbors house. Apparently they had yet to install their own curtains as well. Judging from the colorful decorations inside the room he was checking out. It was clear that this was Rinse’s. Just how cliché was this setup going to be be? Actually, now that he thought about it, this did seem to be the beginning of a mediocre love comedy. Knowing him, it most likely wouldn’t end very well.

Right on cue, which made sense due to the sunlight burning brightly now. The girl got up from her bed. Her hair was ruffled from the bedhead, and she had on some cute silky pajamas. Rinse yawned and gave herself a good stretch facing away from this bright light. So she ended up not seeing him watching her.

He marked it up as yet another thing wasted on him that literally anyone else would love to see. Not wanting to be caught peeping on her, he headed for the showers to get washed up and dressed for classes. It took little time for him to put on his school uniform and bag filled with all the required items.

“Well you be walking to school with Rinse?” His mom asked as they ate breakfast.

“Yeah, you haven’t had a walking buddy before.” His dad chimed in, poking at his own son’s apparent loner attitude.

“I’m not planning on it.” He answered, annoyed with how much his parents were pushing this relationship. He wasn’t supposed to be some token for them to get more time to spend with a celebrity. “But, since we both go to the same school, it’ll probably happen anyway.” The train they took only had one convenient time for students like them to take. So it was inevitable, and he really wished it wasn’t the case. Surely that feeling was mutual between the two teens.

As predicted by him, as Ishi walked out the door, he saw his new neighbor putting on her shoes. She was still doing up her hair as she was doing so. Her multitasking skills impressed even him.

“You know we’re not in any rush, right?” He said to her as their paths intersected. “The train’s not going to be leaving us for at least another 15 minutes.”

“I know that.” She responded, slowing down her pace. “I guess I’m just a little to used to the rush with work.” Indeed, the idol industry was ruthless and busy. However, she had grown used to it after spending the last few years in it. He could never relate, since life seemed to be at a standstill ever since entering high school.

“No point in tiring yourself out before the first class.” He told her, to which she gave him a cold stare.

“Last time I checked, I didn’t ask for any advice.” Obviously, they weren’t friends. So what he said wasn’t exactly what one would call, friendly advice. “For someone so bothered by people, you sure like to talk a lot.”

“Let’s just say that… It’s a bit hard to resist correcting someone.”

“By the way.” He wasn’t alone in noticing how their rooms lined up. “Did you peek into my room?”

“I guess you noticed our rooms are next to each other too.” He responded. “And yes, I did see the inside of it.” Ishi answered honestly, since there was nothing about it that he considered inappropriate.

“What?” She had on a light blush from hearing him say so. “Y-you can’t just do something like that. Wh-what if I was… Changing or something?”

“I would hope that you wouldn’t change in front of an open window.” He didn’t care for her concerns. “But relax, I’m not interested.”

“Does that mean you’re-”

“I’m not that either.” He quickly cut her off, not allowing that to be said out loud.

Not much time passed for them to arrive to the station. Now with an opportunity to avoid her, Ishi took his chance and the two stood at the complete ends of the station. When the train arrived, they both seated themselves as far as possible from the other. Not that this would matter, as this would only provide the pair with temporary relief from the other.

Their stop came and the two got off. They walked to school, where unlike yesterday, things were a little more quiet.

“It looks like everyone’s finally moved on me being an idol.” She spoke hopefully.

“Nah, we’ve just moved onto the next stage.” He told her. Ishi could tell from the looks of everyone around them as they were eyed by the students. “They could get away with approaching you because it was your first day. So everyone was doing it, but now there’s this tension of who’s going to be the first.”

“I see. Now they’re feeling the pressure of who I am.” It made sense to her. During events, she could sense the same thing whenever some fans, in their awkwardness, stood in the back just looking at her. Too afraid to even talk with her.

“I guess I should say… Second person to talk with you.” Some of the stares they were receiving were directed towards him. Most of them were filled with jealously and some bits of anger. “Seeing as I’m the first.”

“Unfortunately.” The two of them went to their shoe lockers, which he was expecting to have near hers, considering their family names. That was the case as he squatted down to his which was situated at the bottom. Hers, on the other hand, was actually next to his letter wise. Which meant that she had to reach to the top one locker over.

“Something tells me I’m not going to be rid of you any time soon.” He talked up to her. She looked down and noticed how low he was to her. In reaction, she put her left hand down to move her skirt in a manner to hide her decency. “Relax, it’s not like I can see anything… Nor do I care to see it either.” Though he couldn’t deny that her smooth long legs weren’t a sight to behold. Well, if he couldn’t deny the fact, at least he could withhold the truth. “Well, you ready to head to class?”

“I thought you couldn’t wait to get rid of me?” She said as her foot slipped into her shoe.

“Let’s be real, we pretty much got the same destination. Might as well just finish this journey together.” If they were going to be spending time to figure out how to avoid each other, Ishi was certain they’d be wasting time on something that was impossible to avoid.

“Fine then.” She accepted his offer. “Lead the way.” As they walked with each other, she also took note of everyone looking at them. Remembering what he said yesterday, she couldn’t shake the feelings and had to ask him something important. “Are you sure this won’t just make you more hated?”

“People can think what they want to think.” He answered. “And by the way everyone…” He spoke out loud for everyone to hear. “I’m not talking to her because I want to, or because we like each other. It’s only because she’s my new next door neighbor.” Everyone in the room had their jaws dropped wide open, Rinse included.

“What? You don’t want to keep that a secret!?”

“Why should it be?” He replied. “People were going to piece things together eventually, might as well get it out of the way.” Ishi knew that the news wouldn’t be taken positively, so he figured it was best to say it now before people accused him of hiding it to get more time with her.

The moans and groans of disappointment filled the hallway as they were about to enter their classroom. “All right guys, I get it.” He scolded the crowd in irritation. “I ain’t happy about this either.”

“I see you broke the news to everyone in traditional fashion.” Otoya greeted the pair as they sat down. “It’s kind of hard to believe you live next door to an idol.”

“Yeah, and no. You can’t come over to my house to hang out.” Ishi was quick to nip that request well in advance.

“I guess you got me.” He chuckled. “It’s not like I’ve ever really come over to your place anyway.”

There was still some time before classes were to start. Ishi took this time to scan the room and see if there was anyone seeking to talk with his seatmate. There had to be someone that could be here friend, that way she’d have less reason to make his day worse. That was when he took note of a certain girl whose eyes were pointed in their direction.

“Hanada.” He called out to her. Quickly, she got shook and hid her face behind the papers she was holding. This girl was Youna Hanada, their class representative. Personally, he had no idea why she was the one voted by the class to be their representative, but seeing as Ishi was the only other candidate. The answer was clear to everyone else, including his own friend. “If you want to talk with Rinse, then go ahead. At least you got a good excuse with those papers.” That kind of gave it away when he said it out loud like that. However, that wasn’t why she was looking at them.

“Oh…” She quietly spoke with her mouth still hidden by the paperwork. “Actually, I needed to talk with... You... About something.”

“That’s it?” He was disappointed to hear that. “I’m nothing special, just come up and ask me if you need something.”

“Don’t be so rude.” Rinse nudged him in the arm. “You go walk up to her if she needs you.”

“Ugh, fine.” He relented to her. Mainly just so he’d have a good excuse to not sit next to her. “So what did you need?”

“It’s just that… Well…” She struggled to tell him what she needed. Since the girl had a bit of a… Phobia of him. “The teacher asked me to tell you that we need… Some help with the upcoming field trip.”

“What? Me?”

“Well, he said that anyone could technically do it… But, he told me to a-ask you first.” If it was up to her, Ishi would be the last person she’d request for help. “S-so, if it isn’t a problem for you… Could you, c-could you help out?” How this girl became their representative was beyond him, even if he knew how much people would’ve hated him being the one.

“Fine.” He sighed and accepted the request. As much as the boy hated the idea of doing more work, the teacher did want him to be the one to help out. There must’ve been a reason why that man would be him of all people. “I mean, it is a problem for me, but I’ll do it anyway.”

61