250. Assimilation
852 4 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Power is still out (I think someone in my town may have hit a transformer or something. Didn't want to keep you guys waiting any longer, so I decided to go online with my phone and type the rest with my thumbs. I highly recommend you all get a battery-powered lamp light in the event something like this happens to you. Sorry in advance for any errors. HAPPY TRIPLE CHAPTER DAY!

 

Waiting for the next match proved quite difficult as many couldn't hold in their feelings of the previous one. Various sections of the coliseum-like location remained in a state of gossip, speculation, arguments, and complaints.

But a peculiar young boy was of different mind...

"The sheer scale that blast of light you created was ridiculous. Good grief Suzu... Rei's a handful enough as it is."

"I prefer the term, colorfully active, sensei."

"Rei!"

"Agh! Please don't shout! My ears are a little sensitive thanks to Suzu. No one likes being forced to wake up."

"O-Oh, sorry. Are you alright? Finally done with your–um... meditation? You look a bit out of sorts..."

"Y-Yeah. Just a migraine from me overdoing it as usual. But the results were worth it."

Finally opening his eyes, Rei rose from his spot, still rubbing his forehead as he walked past Tango. Reaching the edge of the room, he leaned forward towards the arena for a better view.

"You weren't picked this time, but I can't help but ask, have you taken care of your... business?"

"Sort of... but I haven't had the chance to test out my new norm. Guess you could say I'm a bit... out of sorts with myself."

"The hell does that mean?" Tango tilted his head in confusion.

For the past month, none of Rei's compatriots had an idea of what he accomplished during his training. Even when completed, he refrained from sharing any details in regard to any relevant developments.

Repeatedly offering the same line in response to any queries... "I'm taking another bite at the apple".

"I've completed all of my... readjustments. Now all that's left is to familiarize with the new me."

"Ummmm... okay? And how are you going to that?"

"What do you mean? I'll soon be on a platform with eleven guinea pigs to help me."

"I think you're the only Genin here twisted enough to refer to the competition in such a...*SIGH*! Whatever, not like I was expecting a straight answer from you. Since it seems like you've got this, there's no point in worrying."

Tango sat back down with his back against one of the side walls, searching the contents of his bag for something. With both Tai and Suzu now in the Finals, most of his worries had gone.

On the other hand, Rei looked downwards to his clenched fist, recalling what he acquired during his meditation.

{Even during the small amount of free time I had days ago, it's become obvious. Now that I'm using my own chakra for the first time... everything feels different. How I channel it, shape transformation, nature transformation, even when using Taijutsu.

It's like when I first started in this world... in a different body. But this time, the body truly belongs to me, and me alone.}

Now privy to Kisshōten's true nature as his own personal soul plane akin to a Jinchūriki's, the true purpose of his supposed "meditation" was in fact, his first attempt at processing the memories left from Isshiki Ōtsutsuki's assimilated soul... albeit a very small portion.

The "Black Gem", or rather, his subconscious mind became a wellspring of knowledge just waiting to be tapped. But Notitia's final warnings couldn't be ignored, for even he took the risks of absorbing over a thousand years' worth of information at once seriously.

Instead, opting to start small by having the Black gem give him a small fraction of Isshiki's combat experience... or at least, that's what he believed himself to be doing.

{The fact Karma can overlay a host's mind and body with all of it, in a short amount of time, just goes to show how ridiculous it is!

I didn't even ask for anything complicated, just a few years of simple body reactions accumulated from fighting experience... and it feels like my first college hangover!

It'll be a while before I can process all of Isshiki's memories.}

However...

"Keke! Then again, I guess there's no real reason to complain too much."

...In spite of everything he has undergone recently, Rei could feel himself growing stronger... stronger than he's ever been.

All the remained was for him to get chance to see how much.

"WAAAAH!!!!"

The crowd had erupted with endless roars once again.

Rei's eyes turned to the arena, only to find a single contestant left standing. The referee Kitsuchi, already screaming at the top of lungs to announce the winner.

"The winner of the sixth preliminary match is... Mūji!"

"E-Eh? It's over already? I only looked away for just over two minutes and... who's that guy?"

Tango rejoined him as he scanned the winner's figure, sensing the curiosity on his student's face, he spoke first.

"Though I can't spot his headband, I know that kid's from Kusagakure1Hidden Grass Village"

"I'm surprised they managed to send a Genin here in spite of all that's happened to them in recent years."

"Mm. The aftereffects of that prison break certainly hurt them quite a bit, but even they wouldn't dare miss the biggest Chūnin Exams in history. As for that kid in particular... be wary of him."

"Given the fact he won so quickly, please enlighten me."

"His hand-to-hand combat is quite adept, but what warrants concern is his Ninjutsu, or rather... his Fūinjutsu2Sealing Jutsu."

"Huh? Oh... OHH! Seriously? That's how he fights? What a pain. Getting hit even once would—"

"Exactly."

The one known as Mūji made use of his village's unique sealing technique. As a nation infamous for housing criminals within a maximum-security prison, their methods of containment were not to be underestimated.

"I've heard it's a Hiden3Secret Techniques hybrid Nin-Fuinjutsu that incorporates Katon4Fire Style, preventing the target from molding chakra, while the seal itself can also burn them to cinders."

"...In the event one tries to escape prison?"

"Your quick as usual. Still, to think that village had one so young, yet capable of wielding it that easily. High level Fuinjutsu is no joke. Where on earth did he come from?"

{That's my line. Prodigies like him should be on my radar considering my foreknowledge of this world, yet I've never even heard of his name before... could this be a result of my actions, or—?"}

"Oh! Hey Rei, take a look at the screen."

"Hm? Well... it's about damn time. Lucky number seven indeed."

As the large teleprompter cycled names for the next twelve, at last, Rei's name had appeared on the screen. As the young boy smiled, Tango had finally found the item he was searching his modest-sized bag for, pulling out a piece of clothing.

"Here. Catch."

FWAP!

"Huh? What this?"

"Well, it's called a jacket. You put your arms in the holes and wear it on your back—"

"Sensei... being a smart-ass is my thing, not yours."

"So you admit it, good to know you have some modicum of self-awareness. Your cousin asked me to give it to before your first match."

"Nee-san did?"

"Not just her. Both Samui-senpai and Yugito-sama went to the trouble of picking this out for you."

"Her, and her old squad eh? Heh! How thoughtful of them."

"If you're going to represent our village in front of all the shinobi nations, you certainly can't look like that."

"...Fair point."

Due to recent gain in muscle and height, Rei outgrew both his original shirt and flak jacket. Even now, all he had were his black pants, customary red and white Kumogakure shin guards. Completed by standard shinobi thin metal-mesh, fishnet t-shirt.

"It's... not bad. How'd they figure out the exact size for me? How could they have known how big I'd get?"

"Maybe because your cousin knows you better than anyone else."

"Yeah, to a scary degree..."

"Quit yapping and put it on, you have to be on stage soon."

The corners of Rei's lips rose as he put on his gift.

A black polyester jacket with slant pockets, equipped with a detachable hood.

On the back, a symbol sharing his headband's which represented his village, colored in white. Along with two white zig-zag-like lines looping around both sleeves, akin to small lightning bolts.

Watching him put it on, Tango was pleased to realize even Rei could act like a kid sometimes. The elated expression on the boy's face as he zipped up his gift was uncharacteristically heartwarming.

Fully dressed, Rei flipped on the hood and palmed his own hand, incapable of hiding his eagerness.

"Alright! I'm ready to tortu—em, I mean... beat some competition!"

"...What were you about to say just now?"

"Nothing for you to worry your pretty little head over sensei. I'll see you later!"

{There is something seriously off with that kid. Guess I shouldn't be too worried about him. Am I actually feeling pity for his opponents?}

Looking as if he ate something bad, Tango saw him off before leaving the booth. With two of his students now in the Finals, the private room no longer served any purpose. It was finally time for him to join his colleagues in the stands.

Rei waltzed across the rising stone pillars, forming a makeshift bridge from his room to the arena. In little over a minute, all twelve contestants had arrived.

 

"It's been a while since I've been this hyped..."

 

57