5. On the contrary
285 8 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It turned out that Graham still had shit excuses. If Han Li ever said that Graham was an honest man then he would like to take it all back, please and thank you.

 

After making their order and picking out one of the most expensive bottles on the wine menu, Graham began with his bullshit. “I believe that you are one of the most promising vanguards the current youth has to offer. It would be a pity to not train your potential.”

 

Wow, was this a copy and paste from all the crap his peers had been sprouting? Han Li couldn’t help but cringe, “Are you really listening to those stupid rumors? All because I got some outstanding evaluations from past supervisors. I’ll let you in on a secret, they only gave me high scores because they felt bad for me.”

 

“Your peers have high praise for you as well. The Academy has been preparing at length to welcome you and polish your raw talents.”

 

“The Academy,” Han Li parroted, his lips pulled downward in distaste. “You really want me to believe that the Academy cares about its students? Dude, did you know that only about half of their enrolled students graduate? And at least half of those die during their studies.”

 

Graham nodded in acknowledgement, “Such is the nature of our line of work. But know that their sacrifices were not in vain. And I have good confidence that you will prevail and excel under the Academy’s guidance.”

 

For the first time, Han Li feels real annoyance fester within him. His expression darkened, “And if I don’t?”

 

“As I’ve said, I have perfect confidence—”

 

Han Li cut him off, “You don’t care about my well being at all, do you?” Not that he expected Graham to, but blatantly admitting that you would readily send someone you’ve just met to their demise was a bit distasteful. It made him feel disposable. Being a hunter made him feel like nothing more than a tool. He hated it.

 

Graham furrowed his brows. 

 

Before he could say anything, the waiter came to pour them wine and introduce its lengthy history and depth of flavor. Han Li didn’t pay attention at all. He was too busy staring at Graham who stared back. The tension was thick enough to cut. 

 

When they were alone again, Graham spoke, “It was not my intention to disregard your well being. You are a great asset to the Hunter’s Association. It would be a pity if you did not realize this potential. A loss not only for the Association but also for humanity as a whole.”

 

“You make a lot of big statements, big guy,” Han Li scoffed. “Don’t lie to me. The Association doesn’t give a damn about me, especially because I’m—” Han Li paused, his frown deepened. “You’re not going to tell me the truth about why you’re here, are you?”

 

“…” There was that blank look on Graham’s face again and Han Li was starting to think if that was his default thinking face. Trying to think of excuses again? “Your mother would have wished for you to become a professional hunter.”

 

Han Li lost his appetite entirely. He was one word away from getting up and leaving, “You know shit about my mother.”

 

“On the contrary—” Graham was lucky that the waiter walked in at that moment. He seemed eager to introduce the appetizer but found himself suffocated by the tension that simmered between the two customers.

 

Uh…

 

After awkwardly serving the food, he made a run for it.

 

“…” Graham did not continue his sentence. He seemed to have recognized that Han Li was upset with him. They ate in silence. Han Li was stewing but the food was expensive and it was free. So like a good kid he ate it all, even if his stomach protested out of annoyance.

 

What did they say about hot guys again? Oh right, they’re dicks. That’s why Han Li always preferred an ‘Average Joe’ aesthetic. He liked people who didn’t stand out.

 

Han Li drowned in his thoughts, trying his best to ignore the awkwardness and the person that sat opposite him.

 

 

“I’ll take the bus,” Han Li said when they left the restaurant. He was already walking towards the nearest bus stop before Graham could even reply. It was already getting dark and Han Li was eager to go home.

 

“I understand that you’re upset with me but please, allow me to take you home.”

 

“Nope.” He didn’t even look back once, “You’ve proved yourself for being an asshole and I’ve decided that no matter how rich or good looking you are, I want nothing to do with you.”

 

“Han Li. Please, I apologize—” His voice drowned out with zooming cars and honking horns. Han Li was weaving through the traffic, leaving Graham behind. 

 

It was only after he reached the bus stop and left the asshole behind for good that he wondered if he properly conveyed his disapproval. Han Li scowled. He hoped that fucker didn’t come back for good.

 

But why did he feel like that wouldn’t happen?

 

 

If there was anything that Han Li learned about the individual called Graham Assholely in the past 48 hours, aside from the fact he was an asshole, was that he was painfully stubborn as well.

 

So it wasn’t that much of a surprise when he woke up the next morning to a text from an unknown number.

 

[ Please allow me to make amends. - G.A. ]

 

Erm. Yeah, Han Li didn’t think so. Half asleep, he groggily texted back:

 

[ don’t text me you creep ]

 

But due to his sleep-induced negligence, he hadn’t remembered to block the number. 

 

To Han Li’s horror, he received another message from said unknown number. But this time it jumped on his phone screen when he was trying to talk to Kevin White about ‘Magical Girl: Makimichi-chan Love’ in the painting studio after class. 

 

[ Is there anything that you would like? Whether it be perfume or footwear. - G.A. ]

 

“Who’s G.A.?” Kevin asked as he leaned over to see Han Li’s phone buzz next to his paints left on the stool. 

 

Han Li paled as he quickly fumbled for his phone, “Ah! It’s nothing…Nothing important ahahaha,” He smiled nervously before tapping on the screen with raging fury.

 

[ u can’t just buy people’s forgiveness dipshit ]

 

The response was instant:

 

[ I’m sorry. ]

 

[ don’t text me again. ]

 

And with that, Han Li moved quickly to block the number, not eager to deal with another response. 

 

Kevin blinked, “Is it…someone annoying?”

 

“Ahahaha…” Han Li laughed nervously, “You could say that…” 

 

“Oh, okay.” He nodded before turning back to his phone. Han Li sighed.

 

Kevin White was probably the kind of person that one would describe as the pinnacle of average. He wasn’t tall, nor short. His style of dress was plain and his brown hair always looked like he barely brushed it after waking up. He was a bit chubby but he wasn’t ugly. And while he liked anime, his hobbies weren’t so extreme that he couldn’t talk to people and had a small circle of friends. He wasn’t a person that was outright bullied, but he was definitely a person that most people would forget about after a single glance.

 

Which was why Han Li liked him.

 

The only problem was, after having small talk and a few exchanges about the shows that Kevin liked, Han Li always felt a bit stumped with continuing the conversation. Kevin seemed content with the silence, leaving Han Li to fidget on his own.

 

That afternoon hadn’t been a total success, but at least he managed to spend time with Kevin, he supposed he’ll report what happened to Simone. She was the only person he talked to about these things and though she was a bit extreme with certain topics, at least she didn’t spread anything he told her in confidence. 

 

Finally deciding to call it a night, Han Li made his way home. He was tired and stayed in the studio late just because Kevin was there to keep him company. 

 

He smiled as he recalled the afternoon and the little bits of conversation they shared together. Most, if not all of it had been mundane but it was still nice… 

 

However, Han Li’s good mood was snuffed out in an instance, as soon as he opened his front door and turned on the lights. There, at his feet was a pearly white letter. With a beautiful handwritten cursive, the front was etched with, ‘To: Han Li’. 

 

Han Li had a sinking feeling he knew exactly what this was and who it was from. 

 

That. Stupid. Fucking, Stalker! Han Li was about to call the cops right there and then!

 

He really needed to figure out a way to put an end to this.

Hello, this is your local unhinged psychopath. Um. What am I doing?

14