11. My advice and caution stand
198 9 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Graham’s place was as spacious as it was daunting. From the wide, open loft to the white leather couch, and the warm lights that hang from the tall ceiling with tall windows and the dazzling marvels of New Lidway City sprawled below them; everything screamed money, money, money.

 

Han Li was afraid to even move. What if he got something dirty? Or worse, broke something. He didn’t want to be the main character in a shitty romcom where he would have to pay off his debts by becoming someone else’s slave, dammit. 

 

He laughed nervously, carefully peeling off his shoes and placing them in the shoe rack.  “This place is…nice. On the one hand, I’m not surprised. On the other hand, I can’t help but feel like it doesn’t suit your personality.”

 

“Hm. A correct assumption,” Graham noted as he immediately made his way to an expansive bar. “Wine? Or do you prefer whiskey?”

 

“No water?” Han Li snickered, “Or is water too cheap for you?” He frowned when he looked at the couch; this thing was way too expensive to have a sweaty ass print on it so Han Li opted for the stool by the bar instead. That was safer, right? It’d be easier to clean if he got it dirty. “I’ll have wine. Your cheapest bottle. Please.”

 

Graham looked at him and held his gaze as though silently questioning his choices. He then turned around to pluck a bottle out of the expansive shelf.

 

Two glasses were poured. 

 

“I’ve already ordered the food,” Graham said as he checked the time on his wrist, despite there being a giant clock on the wall just next to the bar. “It will be arriving soon.”

 

Huh, when did he do that?

 

The question must have been obviously plastered on his face because Graham easily answered, “I did so in the car while you slept. You had complained about the wait last time so I made due action to ensure that the same would not occur.”

 

Why was he even telling Han Li this? Han Li couldn’t help but smirk, “Are you trying to win my praise or something?”

 

“Maybe.”

 

Gods, this guy was so… Han Li broke out into laughter, “Okay, fine you win this time. Good boy Graham, you did well. Thank you for making sure that I don’t starve for longer than necessary.”

 

“Hm.” No response, classic Graham. He swirled the wine, taking in the aroma. It was strangely mesmerizing to watch. 

 

Graham was out of his janitor uniform and wore a sharp black dress shirt, folded halfway up his forearms and black dress pants. His fashion was always simple yet clean and the accessories he wore were always stunning in combination; from the silver watch on his wrist to the lion head belt on his hip. Even the black gloves that he never took off offered a sense of flare.

 

Appearance alone wasn’t what made Graham alluring though. It was his calm demeanor, his piercing eyes and his steadfast personality that did not bend to the world around him. It was as though he alone was isolated from time and space; an enigma that did not belong among the throngs of ordinary people.

 

Han Li suddenly felt an odd surge of inspiration. Was it too late to change the subject of his drawing project? 

 

Graham looked up. Their eyes met. “You are thinking about something,” he pointed out bluntly. 

 

Han Li coughed, leaning backwards as he attempted to hide the blush on his cheeks with his fist. “It’s nothing important…I’m sure you were thinking about something too.”

 

“Yes,” Graham nodded, “I was thinking about ways to bribe you back into the business of hunting. What if I put this apartment in your name? Would that suffice?”

 

“That again?” Han Li groaned, trying really hard to ignore the tempting offer. “I mean, I guess I’m not surprised about that either, but we’ll just end up becoming a broken record, saying the same shit over and over again.”

 

A glimmer passed his eyes, the inspiration blossomed in Han Li’s heart. “How about we talk about something different for a change?”

 

“…?” Graham said nothing but the way he held eye contact told Han Li that he was intrigued.

 

Han Li took this as a go-ahead. “Let’s talk about you.”

 

Graham’s lips twitched ever so slightly. “Me,” he parroted with a thoughtful hum. “Where should I begin? Frankly, I am a dull person.”

 

“An S-ranker, dull? I thought you weren’t going to lie to me anymore, big guy. Are you trying to make me angry again?”

 

“…I lie to you from time to time, Han Li.” 

 

“Yeah, you’re pretty insensitive and kind of a jerk.”

 

“It is not my intention to upset you. I only wish to tease you a little.”

 

Tease…? Han Li wasn’t sure about that. The thought birthed awkwardness as a stuffy feeling welled up in his belly.

 

The doorbell rang, saving Han Li from embarrassment and while Graham went to retrieve the delivery, it gave him ample time to calm down and think of a slew of questions he wanted to assault the man with.

 

It turned out that he ordered some fancy pasta from a place that Han Li could never dream to afford. Well, if Graham was paying, he supposed he would take advantage of his stalker’s money.

 

There was no anime show playing in the background this time and Han Li couldn’t stand the stuffy silence that infested in such a big, soulless penthouse. He coughed, choking on a piece of delicious tortellini and washed it down with a mouthful of wine. Classy as heck.

 

“So…” Han Li cut through the ambient sounds of silverware scraping against plates and soft chewing, “the Saint of Eternity, huh? There are some pretty crazy rumors about you out there, you know?”

 

“…” Han Li picked up on the subtle way that the man began to chew a bit slower. 

 

He continued, “There’s one that says you bathed in the blood of a virgin demi-god and that’s how you got your current appearance. That before you looked like a bum.”

 

Graham visibly winced, which only made it more amusing, because for once he was the one left to stew in awkwardness. Han Li basked in this newfound power and had to remind himself to thank Laura for her wide knowledge of absurd rumors. “Ah. I believe that I know where that particular narrative was concocted from. Though it confuses me to this day how and why people relate it to my appearance. It does not.”

 

Han Li raised a brow, “And what about the part about you bathing in the blood of a virgin demi-god?”

 

Graham sighed, putting his utensils down and picked up a handkerchief to dab at his lips. “First of all, it was by no choice of mine. Cecile might have been a virgin in the strictest sense but she was no pure-hearted maiden.” 

 

He paused, looking up at Han Li and held his gaze. Graham continued, “Han Li, are you familiar with sexual masochism?”

 

Um. 

 

“…Yeah?” 

 

Just…what kind of story was this going to be? Han Li found himself both fascinated and horrified. 

 

Resignation flashed across Graham’s face, “Hm, yes. Now dial that concept to the highest degree. I was used as nothing more than a puppet to fulfill sick fantasies. Cecile was very particular about my sacred sword.”

 

Han Li opened his mouth, only to close it. He needed a moment to process the information, “Wait, let me get this straight. So a hot demi-goddess convinced you to stab her with your—” he stuttered, grimacing, “sacred sword because she’s some insane masochist?”

 

“Clarent. That is the name of the blade,” Graham elaborated.

 

Eyes bulged out of Han Li’s skull, “Dude, I don’t need to know what you call your—” 

 

“It’s a sword, Han Li. Whatever it is that you’re thinking about, it’s wrong.”

 

Han Li coughed, still failing to get the image of Graham calling his dick Clarent out of his head. “So um, how the heck did she convince you to um, you know, stab her?” Han Li could hardly keep his face straight.

 

“With relative ease,” Graham said while Han Li might have been imagining inappropriate things. Either Graham didn’t notice or was doing more of that tactful ignoring again, “Not only did she reign destruction down upon my hometown, but somehow managed to pass…some unpleasant diseases among several of my colleagues using questionable methods..”

 

Unpleasant diseases,” Han Li echoed.

 

“Correct. While demi-gods will not exhibit the symptoms of illness, they can still be carriers. You will do well to remember this when you decide to share—”

 

Han Li gawked, “I…well. Damn. Good thing this will likely never happen to me—”

 

“The same could be said about demons.”

 

“…Graham.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You…realize that I’m half-demon right?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“…I took that last one personally. And before you say anything I know you probably weren’t referring to me.”

 

“…My advice and caution stand.”

 

“Have I ever told you that you’re an insensitive prick?”

 

“Plenty.” Han Li could have sworn that was a smirk on Graham’s lips. He needed more wine.

 

is anyone alive out there? ahhhh

12