Chapter E6: Kruu Leaves 3
85 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter E6: Kruu Leaves 3

(Effinshia's POV)

 

I knew it wouldn't be as simple as walking to a cave and picking up the herbs, but a hail of arrows was not what I was expecting when the old man said a terrifying monster lived here. These arrows are clearly man-made! There is at least a person deeper into the cave shooting all these arrows; not a monster. They shot without warning too, clearly not too disturbed about killing. 

It looked like the assault had stopped. For now at the very least. All the arrows that were sent flying towards us all stopped the moment I threw out the dust cloud and I managed to get the kids to safety. We were all currently behind a large boulder taking cover. It seemed that the flurry of arrows could not reach the area behind this boulder. No... They could hit us if they wanted too, an elf could easily make an arrow curve and hit us that was hiding behind this boulder. So the question is... why haven't they? Am I overestimating my opponent?

I need to see the enemy’s reaction time.

I took off the shape-shifting weapon, Torarias, that was currently sitting on my head and held it out just outside the large boulder that we were taking cover in. As soon as I did that, an arrow knocked Torarias out of my hands and it landed on the ground in the clearing near the entrance of the cave. 

Tsk.

These guys are good. Dammit, I don't have time for this bullshit.

I took a deep breath and stomped the ground beneath me. A small blue magic circle appeared underneath my foot and on the ground in front of me. A small pillar of reflective metal soon rose up from the ground. Mirror wall. The literal version of the skill. It raises a metal that is clear enough to make a makeshift mirror, it's not as good as a real mirror but it's good enough for this situation. It's one of my favourites.

By moving my feet on the magic circle I could move and adjust the metal mirror and I did just that. Move the metal mirror around to see what is beyond the boulder and into the cave.

*Schwaff *Schwaff *Ting *Ting

Arrows immediately strike the metal pillar as soon as I moved it past the boulder's edge. But it all bounced off the metal pillar.

I continued to adjust the pillar so that I could see where the arrows are coming from when all of a sudden a white streak of light hit the metal mirror.

*Boom.

The metal mirror got smashed to pieces with a bright explosion.

*Stomp

I was annoyed but I just stomped my legs and created another pillar.

*Boom

Another explosive arrow destroyed the newly made metal, but I just kept creating more pillars. I know it's more likely that creating this cheap pillar was more mana efficient than exploding arrows. It was soon proven correct as the opposition stopped shooting to destroy the mirror. It seemed like they know it's futile as well.

Now undisturbed, I adjusted the mirror to look around the cave. I scanned the area from top to bottom. Every nook and cranny that I could see from this mirror. The rows of plants within the cave garden. The tools and equipments near the walls next to the garden. I scanned the multiple tunnels that lead further into the mountains and in one of the tunnels, I saw it. Two people? Hiding just right within the darkness. Their red glowing eyes gave their location away.

Through the mirror, I could see that they have noticed me as well and they soon peek out of the dark tunnel. Their figures now visible under the light.

I see now. The reason why they can't hit us behind the boulder.

They were... Handicapped. There were few other words I could use to explain them, but handicap fits best. The sight of two people could be seen through the mirror. A large build red-skinned man with bulging muscles and small twisted horns on the sides of his head. He was holding up a pale white woman with long white hair with a long white tail in a bridal carry. Their skins were too red and too white to be humans. Easily distinguishable crimson red eyes.

They contain traits belonging to those of the Ak'him race. Also known as the demonkin folks by the humans.

But beyond that, they... were missing limbs...

The red-skinned one didn't have any legs, his entire bottom half was missing. He was being carried by what looks to be a red cloud underneath his body, his eyes although open, was unfocused and he was staring at a completely random location. The red-skinned man was most probably blind. One of his muscular arms was carrying the woman while the other hand was holding quivers with lots of arrows in them. He was practically naked and only wore a piece of cloth to cover his loins. The rest of his body was nothing but bulging muscles.

The white-skinned woman, on the other hand, was missing arms—both of them. She was also practically naked. Only wearing skimpy clothing and short pants. Her long white tail coming out of a hole in her pants, the tip staying still to her body. What's even more interesting was that she was holding a magic bow with her legs. Her toes to be exact. Her other toe holding onto an arrow. Ready to nock it onto the bow to shoot. Her crimson red eyes look intently into my own eyes through the mirror. They just stood there, laying in standby, glaring at us. A hint of anger and fear mixed within the glare. 

Fear?

What a peculiar pair. Now I've seen many strange things over the years, but this easily reaches the top five weirdest.

"Is that... Artemyst and Gordiron? Why would lesser supremes like them be here?" A young male’s voice came out from my sides. He sounded like he was afraid. It was as if he couldn't believe his eyes.

I looked back to the source of the voice to see a group of five kids gathering near each other next to me at the boulder. They looked towards the mirror wall, seeing the two figures reflected in it with great interest. I took note of the word he used to describe them, 'Lesser Supremes'.

"You know these guys?" I asked back to the source of the voice. The young man named Ride A'bell.

"Um? Ah! Yeah, I've heard about them in the book about myths. The two match the description of Artemyst and Gordiron." He responded.

How convenient.

"Hmm... What's their story?" I asked further.

"If I recall the myth correctly… There were two proud demon lords who charismatically ruled their land only to fail at the very end. They rally up their people and almost united the southern demon land as one. The woman holding the bow is Artemyst and the man who is holding Artemyst is Gordiron. The two are bitter rivals."

I looked towards the two Ak'hims through the mirror. The way they hold each other, the way they trusted each other with their bodies.

"They don't look like bitter rivals to me," I said to the kid.

"Well... long story short, they bit off more than they could chew and fought the nation that borders their country to gain more land to gain the advantage over the other. Artemyst went north of her lands and fought with the nation of Messiah, and Gordiron went eastward to take land from the nation of Lazarus."

Lazarus and Messiah? They sure have some gals to pick a fight with these two. "Let me guess. They lost?" I asked the kid.

"Lost spectacularly according to the stories. It was around that time where both of them become permanently crippled. The supremes Messiah and Lazarus themselves did the deed. Messiah cut down the arms of Artemyst and destroyed her vocal cords. A punishment to the proud Artemyst who took pride in her archery prowess that was said to rival even the queen of elves and her beautiful charismatic voice that was as beautiful as a siren. Gordiron got sadistically tortured by Lazarus as he crushed his strong legs that could carry even the largest of rocks and permanently destroyed his vision, the vision that he prided himself in—eyes that he used to see his grand ambition." 

"That's... cruel." The slightly large built man, Scorch, said out to the group.

"It's a given after all, they fought with the big ones and they got what's coming to them." The young man with the glasses, Tyle, spoke.

"They must have been way high on their horses if they thought they could take on those two supremes," Kranis, their rogue companion spoke.

"But, those two supremes, Messiah and Lazarus are no longer here right? If the stories are true, then the two over there must have been at least a few hundred years old!" Lanarya, the cheerful and final member of their party said her piece.

They all nodded and share their thoughts on the story as I occasionally took a look at the two Ak'hims in question to make sure they don't launch a surprise attack on us. Aren't you guys being a little too relaxed here? They are still our enemies you know.

"So? What happened next? How did they manage to get here? All the way in Rydark? We are three nations away from the Southern Demon Lands ya know," I asked Ride to finish off the story. 

"After they lost their limbs, they quickly lost control of their faction and was soon betrayed and abandoned by their own followers. The story ends with the two meeting each other in some unknown land. The only thing they have left is their hatred and bitterness towards each other. But, instead of finishing each other off, they.... seek comfort in each other and they decided to die together in blood. They killed off who they used to be and became a lesser supreme that transcended their two parts whole. Why they are here, I don't know. The story just ends off there," the kid finishes his story.

So they became lovers at the end of it? How cute. Again, the word 'lesser supreme' was used here by Ride.

"What's with this lesser supreme thing by the way? We have those now? Cause these two clearly don't look or feel like a supreme to me," I said to the group.

The members of the world race can easily regenerate lost limbs, it comes with their immortality part of things. These two handicaps were clearly missing them. Of course there are exceptions but for now, these two were not so Supreme-like to me.

"It's a new term that's being used among scholars lately. It's pretty famous among storytellers." Ride explained.

"So they aren't actually real supremes? Dammit, storytellers nowadays, they just make up whatever terms they want. It's either one is a supreme or they aren't. What's with this lesser supreme thing. Just call them legends or myths or something." I said back in critic.

"Well... they are still supremes, it's just that they aren't as strong as major supremes like Messiah, Lazarus, Omega, or Victory, but they could be considered myths in their own right." Ride said to me.

"Then you haven't seen a real supreme yet kid," I said to him simply. "How would the two handicaps that can't handle a war of attrition against me with the mirror wall compare to someone who could destroy an entire country?" I asked him back.

"..." 

The kid just remained silent, unable to reply back. I simply let out a sigh. The kid is still too green, he still has some ways to go. You can't just believe everything you hear ya know.

I charged Kirin with magic power and got into a ready stance. "Doesn't matter what they are anyways. They seem to be very protective of their territory and are willing to kill for it. Unless we go through them, we won't be able to get the Kruu leaves. I'll distract them, you guys take this chance to run away."

"Wait! You are still going ahead to grab the leaves?" The boy with glasses, Tyle stopped me. "We can't be sure if those two really are supremes or not. If they are, then it's suicide to fight them, much less two of them!"

"They aren't supremes kid. Trust me." I said to him.

"Even then, how do you know you can beat them? According to the stories, they are still demon lords at the minimum right?" He gave me a counter-argument.

...

Heh, this one actually thought things through huh? Not bad. But it's not something that would stop me.

"I don't need to beat them. Besides, the advantage is on my side." I said to the kid with the glasses.

"Advantage?" Ride let out a dumbfounded tone.

"What do you mean by advantage?" Tyle asked me.

"There are only so many ways a mute can communicate with a blind you know? The strength the red-skinned Ak'him prided in is negated by the fact that he has to carry the woman and the quiver. The woman's usage of the bow should also be quite limited with just her legs. Plus, she can't easily change directions as she would need to communicate to the man for that." I explained my thought process to them. "It is not an opponent that I can't handle. And if things do go sour, I'll just run away. How far can they really go without legs?"

Seeing no other replies from them, I got into a ready stance again. 

"Wait!" This time it was Lanarya who stopped me from going.

I let out a sigh. "What?" I asked her.

"Wh-why can't we just negotiate with them? They are just protecting their homes, right? Let's just ask kindly for the herbs instead! Show them that we meant no harm."

...

Just how naive can this girl be? They were ready to kill you the moment we step into the cave you know. Those arrows weren't warning shots. Those were shot to kill.

But still...

"It's at least worth a try I guess," I said to Lanarya.

I then gathered my breath and shouted loudly. My voice reverberated across the cave. "I know you guys must be tired at just staring at us for a while now. We don't mean any harm, all we want is just the herbs that grew at the back of this cave and we will leave in peace!" 

...

...

"Leave immediately or die." A hoarse demonic voice came out of Gordiron, the red-skinned Ak'him.

Yeap. I knew this would happen.

"There you have it Lanarya," I said to her before getting into a ready stance for the third time.

"Wait! Can't we just find the leaves elsewhere? I'm sure there are other caves in these mountains right?" She said to me. Trying to stop me from going.

"Lana... I don't think they meant to leave this cave. I think they meant the whole area." Kranis said.

"But... all they want is to just live in peace," Lanarya replied.

“Live in peace? They aren’t exactly saints either ya know. They were willing to kill us off, —even shot us without warning. This was the obvious outcome.” I said.

"..."

A moment of silence came upon the group.

"Look, I'm not asking you all to fight them alright. I can't force you all to fight a technically superior enemy so I'll fight them myself and get the leaves. You guys just run for safety, I'll block their arrows from hitting any of you. I'm ready to go when you guys are ready."

...

...

"Why?" Ride asked as everyone was getting prepared.

"Hmm?" What did he mean by that?

"Why do you want the leaves so much that you are willing to fight a supreme for? " He asked me.

"They aren't supremes ki-"

"But what if they are just hiding their true power? What if they are real supremes?" Ride cuts me off.

...

On the off chance that the kid is right, this might very well be my funeral I guess. Not that I think he's right anyway. But still, a reason huh.

...

I thought back of the sickly child that had been in my care for a while now. His dreams of becoming an adventurer and his excitement when I showed him a few cool tricks. His annoying reactions towards the things I cook for him. His weak and injured body lying on that bed. The shame on his face when I found out about his true condition. It's only been a week or two but I've formed quite the bond with Korva. 

I... Don't want to see him die because of my ignorance— of my mistake.

Of my incompetence.

"One day you will understand kid. Some things... are just worth risking your life for. Some things... you just do, regardless of the consequences." I gave Ride a serious and honest reply. My resolve.

"Now get out of here kids. I'll cover you guys," I told the group.

They all have complicated expressions before gathering around in a circle, shoulder to shoulder to discuss things in silence among themselves. It seemed like this was something common to do in this party. I let out a sigh and waited for them to finish their discussion. How rude.

...

Minutes passed as they discussed. A few heated words came out once in a while as they argue. I must admit, I was a little tempted to listen in. It was a simple thing for me to do, but I refrained from doing so.

...

The gathering stopped when they all nodded to each other and they all turned to face me.

"So can I finally do my thing now?" I asked them.

"Let us grab the herbs, you can concentrate on fully fighting Artemyst and Gordiron," Kranis, their party's rogue told me.

"Huh? What's with the sudden bravado? I thought you guys were afraid of those two. Being a supreme and all." I asked them.

"People are going to die if we don't get those leaves, and well since you say you are quite confident that you could take them on, we just thought that we could grab the leaves instead. There are five of us, we could carry more of the leaves than you could." Kranis explained to me.

"And I could just concentrate on getting them off your backs huh," I confirmed.

"Exactly," Kranis replied.

I thought about it further, before getting into a ready stance for the fourth time.

"There's no guarantee you guys won't be hurt in the middle of this you know. Are you sure about this? You don't have to risk your lives like that." I asked them one last time for confirmation.

"We know, Miss Effinshia" Lanarya responded. Determination in her eyes.

I looked towards the group of kids and they all looked at me with the same determined eyes.

...

"Alright then. I'm leaving the leaves up to you. Make sure you grab enough for me too. I'll be mad if I go through all this without getting them," I said to them as I'm charged Kirin with magic. Blue light emanated from the blade.

They all nodded to me in response.

"Just go on without me, I'll find you somehow in the forest or Cezza." I said to them and run off from the cover of the huge boulder. Not even waiting to hear their replies.

"HEY HANDICAPS! Over here!" I shouted at them as I made a rush towards their position.

The white-skinned Ak'him, Artemyst, saw this and immediately used her tail to draw the bow and shot an arrow to me which I swiftly cut down with Kirin. Her legs moved into the quiver that Gordiron is holding and with her toes picked up another arrow which she nocked into the bow in a swift and slightly erotic movement. Her tail grabbed the string of the bow and she drew the bow, ready to shoot at me. The arrow glowed white and it shot towards me. I didn't cut it but instead choose to dodge it with a side step. A small explosion could be heard behind me. My movement towards the pair never stopped.

This interaction continued, she drew more arrows and I just either dodged them or cut them down as I sprinted my way towards them. Everything was moving according to plan when I noticed that Artemyst eyes had stopped focusing on me and was focusing on something behind me. Her sharp eyes must have noticed the kids making their move behind me. She quickly nocks another arrow and begun aiming towards them.

I saw this coming from a mile away and let out the magic stored in Kirin in the form of a sword skill. I swung Kirin in a left to right motion and a blade of blue crescent light flew towards the pair. Specifically, towards the bow the white-skinned demon was holding.

Gordiron immediately turned around and covered Artemyst with his hand. The one holding the quiver. A red protective shield covered his hand as the blue crescent blade shattered into pieces. To be honest, I was surprised at how fast his response was to the attack. He was blind, I hadn't spoken a word of the skill I used to strike him, so there was no way he could have heard it.

Nonetheless, my goal was accomplished. Artemyst was forced to back away due to the nature of their partnership. She was just tucked away within the arms of the man she loves, waiting for a chance to draw her bow again. I'm not about to let them have that chance though. I kept swinging Kirin towards them as I made my way forward, more and more blue crescent blade glide towards them.

Gordiron, the red-skinned Ak'him blocked each and every one of them with his hand—and with precision too. It was as if he knew where all the magic blades are coming from. It was during this interaction when I suddenly noticed an arrow flying towards me.

When and how did she shot that?

I had no choice but to stop my flurry of attacks to cut down the arrow. The two opposing demons took this chance to get back into a position where Artemyst could use her bow again. She drew her bow again with her tail, only this time, there wasn't just an arrow nocked on to the bow, but a whole bunch of them. She let go of the string and a hail of arrows rained down upon me.

Judging that the distance between me and them are close enough, I stomped the ground and went into a high jump, avoiding the arrows streaming towards me. I could see the shocked look of the white-skinned demon as she saw me in the air. With a spark, I landed on the two below me.

*Kapow!

My attack was blocked spectacularly by the muscular red-skinned demon who used his bare arms to protect himself and Artemyst, a red protective barrier could be seen at the area where I struck. His reaction and the precision of his guard were way too good for a blind person.

*Snap!

Artemyst used her tail like some sort of whip and swung it at me, a loud snap was heard. I quickly backed away and guarded myself against the attack. Gordiron followed up quickly with a punch towards the ground. The ground around him shattered—including the ground beneath me. I lost my balanced for a quick moment but it was enough for the bow-wielding Artemyst to shoot a couple of arrows at me.

Tsk!

These guys aren't half bad.

I used Kirin to cover myself from the attacks and dashed forward towards the two Ak'hims, but I was assaulted by Artemyst's tail whip attack again as soon as I got closer. I defended against the attack only to be hit by a large fist towards my side. I managed to bend my body in time to avoid the attack but it forced me to back away from the couple.

I dashed away and run a half-circle around them. For Artemyst to hit me with the bow, they will have to re-angle themselves. It would be hard for her to communicate with Gordiron being mute and all.

Or so I thought. 

As I moved around, Gordiron too re-angled himself so that Artemyst may aim her bow at me.

As soon as the distance was made between us, I am assaulted by more arrows again. Which I deflected or dodge as I try to gain distance towards the two. But each time I manage to get near to land a blow, it will be magnificently blocked by Gordiron and I will just be pushed back by the two's assault. 

I never let up though. Anytime I see their attention started to focus away from me, I just doubled down on the assault further. They were forced to concentrate fully on me. Although my inability to deal significant damage to them was frustrating, I was able to get their full attention on me. I didn't know what the kids were doing, but I didn't bother looking out for them. I gave my undivided attention on Artemyst and Gordiron.

Despite being in a stalemate, I know they won't be able to keep up for long. The advantage was on my side after all. If worst comes to shove, I still have a trump card. And IF that doesn't work, I could still resort to Justicar, but I hope that won't be necessary.

 

0