Chapter 6: A Fateful Eve
713 7 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Content warning: brief mention of violence

Chapter 6: A Fateful Eve. (POV Evie.)

“Sometimes the right path, the right choice, isn’t the easiest one.” Songs of fate, chapter 14. 

Evie’s eyes fluttered open. She resting in the bed of a surprisingly luxurious candle-lit room, decorated like it was the home of someone of great wealth. Various bookshelves and all kinds of colorful crystals, expensive rugs, and wooden furniture of fancy quality had made themselves at home in the bedroom. She furrowed her brows. 

“Was I kidnapped by some prissy folks?” As the thought of being abducted by the nobility, mercenaries maybe, settled in, her eyes shot open. 

“Let me go! Get me the fuck outta here!!” Evie tried jolting up from the bed, but Evie’s hands were snugly bound by a rope,which ignored her thrashing and clawing. 

“When I get out of this you’ll be sorry! Do you hear me?! YOU’ll BE SORRY!!” She yelled, her patience wearing thin. 

The sounds of two pairs of footsteps drawing closer made her freeze, a man and a girl’s by the looks of it. 

The wooden door creaked open, Evie drew her lips back in a snarl. “What?” 

Fia and Locke strode in, studying her closely, Evie figured she’d return the favor. 

She noted that Locke’s coat was without any signs of wear and tear, free of any holes. Its texture and warm brownish green colors vivid, clearly highly expensive. 

Fia on the other hand, just wore a simple corseted navy blue dress with a light touch of frills at her sleeves. 

“Look who’s finally up!” Fia chirped. “That nap did you wonders I think.” She smiled warmly and gave her a cheeky wink. 

Locke sighed at Fia, then offered Evie a friendly smile. “How are you feeling?” 

She drew her lips in a thin line and stayed quiet, but her fiery gaze spoke volumes. 

“Okay...well, maybe this will make you feel better.” He fetched a gold rioga from his purse and flicked it at Evie. “For you.” 

She snatched it mid-air with her teeth then looked at Locke and grinned impishly. 

Evie promptly shot the gold coin in her mouth, right at Locke’s forehead, leaving a slightly reddish mark on his skin. 

“Very funny. But I can see why you wouldn’t trust us after we kidnapped you.” 

He pulled up a chair opposite her, and Fia sat herself down on her bed. “Can I untie her? I wanna untie her.” She bit her lip. “I’m gonna untie her.” 

Locke put his hand on Fia’s shoulder. “Not yet.” He turned to Evie, brows furrowed. “Will you promise not to run away if she unties you?” 

Evie rolled her eyes. 

Locke rubbed his forehead. “Right, well...” He cleared his throat and straightened his posture. 

“Allow us to introduce ourselves first, My name is Lochias but most call me Locke. She’s-“ 

“-I’m Fialyn,” she interrupted him with a slight frown. “but my friends call me Fia, you can too if you want. We’ve actually already met if you haven’t forgotten, you stole my gloves.” 

She chuckled and offered Evie an endearing smile. “But I don’t mind.” 

Evie looked at her with guilt-ridden eyes. “I’m sorry about that..” she muttered. 

Fia’s eyes lit up like a dawning sun. “Ha!” She elbowed Locke in his abdomen, sending him into a coughing fit. “Told ya she was good!” 

Locke grunted, “Fia…” 

“What?” She fluttered her eyelashes, oblivious to what she’d done. 

“Watch your elbows.” He said, clutching his tummy. 

Evie burst into a fit of contagious giggles, Fia cracked a smile at her before grimacing at her friend. “Sorry, should I get you some leigheas herbs for your pain?” 

“No. I’m fine.” He exhaled deeply, then met Evie’s eyes. “We have a lot in common.” 

Evie spat. She meant to hit his cheek, but her attempt merely made it to his knees. 

“Should’ve figured that one.” He wiped the saliva from his trousers with his sleeve and pinched the bridge of his nose as if nursing a headache. 

“Ma’am, please listen to us.-“ 

Evie’s eyes ignited with a fresh flash of fury. “Did you just call me ma’am?” She gritted her teeth. “Did you?” 

Locke rubbed the back of his head, his brows knitted. “Uh, yes?” 

She narrowed her eyes at him. “Don’t call me ma’am.” 

The fancy man blinked, confusion growing on his face. 

Evie grunted in frustration. “No not the gender, the AGE PART! I’m SEVENTEEN!” 

Fia wheezed with laughter and slapped her knee. “He was just trying to be polite but I feel ya, sis!” 

He groaned in his hands and sighed deeply. “I’m sorry, miss. You know what, I’m going to fetch some tea. Can I get you anything, fie? or you, miss changeling bandit?” 

She stuck out her tongue. And Fia followed suit with a big grin on her face. 

“Fine! More tea for me.” He rose from his seat and walked out of the room. 

Fia watched him leave, then bit her lip. “Here.” She loosened Evie’s ropes, much to her surprise. 

“Look, you’re a good girl. I can tell, please just hear us out. We really need your help.” 

Evie tilted her head, confused. Fia was acting so..friendly. Even asking her for help, no one had ever really asked for help before and if they did, it was just a deception, an illusion. Evie tensed, this was likely just another trick. 

“My friend’s not so bad once you get to know him, you know? He’s...a kind guy, really. He just has a few rough edges, we all do...right?” 

Evie rubbed her wrists, nodding slightly. “Aye...” she mumbled under her breath. 

Fia breathed a small sigh, eyes on the floor. “Look…” she slowly clenched her fists. 

“We know what you are,” Evie’s eyes widened, every muscle she has tensing up to run away. 

“You’re a Faeborn, and a windborn too if Locke’s source isn’t wrong.” Evie exhaled a quiet sigh, almost imperceptible. Fia raised an eyebrow but shook her head.  

“So a twice-born even. I won’t ask how In the seven hells a twice-born could end up on the streets of Arivel, but I..we’re desperate for someone like you.” 

Evie hugged her knees and closed her eyes. 

“I’m a Titanborn myself, can’t really bend the earth like other titanborn can however. I’m just really strong.” Fia continued, “And Locke’s a Starborn. Don’t ask him about it though..it’s a bit of a sore subject.” 

She shrugged, then her ears perked up at the sound of loud footfalls. 

“Oh Locke’s ba-“ Evie interrupted her by tackling her to the ground. 

He strolled in casually, idly sipping his tea, until he was met with the sight of two Fia’s staring up at him. 

“…Great..” he sat down his tea and calmly folded his arms. 

“You!” The two Fia’s pointed a accusatory finger at each other. “Why do look like me?” They chorused. 

“No why do YOU look like me! Stop repeating everything I say!” The Fia’s grumbled, furrowing their brows in unison. 

“Wait…that’s what my voice sounds like? I don’t like it.” The real Fia winced. 

“Piss…” Evie whispered, flaring her nostrils. 

Locke’s mouth quirked in a lopsided grin. “Sorry kid. Better luck next time.” He moved to reach out a hand to help her up, but Evie’s eyes just widened in fear as she crawled back on the bed. 

She bit her lip, fighting the urge to scream. “Let me go.” Her voice quivered. 

“Maybe we should let her go,” Fia mumbled, her lips set in a sad smile. “We’ll find someone else.” 

Locke clenched his jaw, then held up a finger with a smile. “But we have food, and clean, drinkable water. Besides she hasn’t even heard the plan yet.” 

Evie’s mouth watered from the promise of food, and as if on cue, her stomach chose that moment to growl. 

“Well, how about this?” He said with a small grin. “You can stay over for dinner, hear what we have to say and then if you still want to leave after, we’ll let you leave.” 

Evie frowned, every instinct she had was telling it was a trick, she knew it was a trick. But some small part of her resisted, some part of her wanted to believe these folks needed her, or even wanted to care for her. 

“Okay.” She muttered under her breath, the faintest trace of tears in her eyes. 

Relief flooded Locke’s face. “Wonderful! I’ll make you something nice to eat.” 

And with that, he departed for the kitchen. 

Fia giggled, a joyous twinkle in her green eyes. “Oh thank you!! Actually, could you stop impersonating me first? If you don’t mind.” She beamed. 

She gave her a small nod then held up a finger. 

Evie bowed her head, her hair hiding her face, then she flicked it up, revealing her own self. 

Fia looked into her hazel eyes with childlike wonder. “That’s amazing! You’re amazing! Do you ever get bored of that? And all that running and jumping…you know, if I hadn’t figured out where your home was, and you didn’t get a betrayal we probably never would’ve caught you. Never.” 

She tilted her head, confused. Why was she acting so friendly after kidnapping her? No one had ever been this friendly to her when she wasn’t wearing some noble’s face. After they’d gotten what they wanted they’d hurt her and surely toss her out in the garbage, like all the others before them. 

“I really am sorry about the whole..kidnapping part. I wanted to avoid doing it actually but I didn’t really get my wish, I’m hoping you’ll listen to what we have to say though, but that can wait. It’s quite a lot to take in...and you must be starving.” 

She scrutinized Fia’s face, looking for the inevitable dagger behind her eyes, behind her sweet smile and the poison hiding in her words. Evie’s brows snapped together. She didn’t find anything, this time. 

“Would you like me to brush your hair?”

She gawked at the girl, her lips slightly parted. “What?” 

Fia took a few of her auburn locks between her fingers. “Your hair’s so tangled and dirty. Please let me make it better?” Evie’s mouth fell open further at the sadness glimmering in her eyes. “Okay.” She replied with a quiet voice.

“Thank you, um...Is this the real you? It was on the wanted poster but I have to ask.” She finely ran a wooden brush through Evie’s hair, carefully untangling her hair with ease. 

Evie pressed her lips together and eyed the floor. “Don’t wanna spill your secrets huh? That’s okay, I’ll do you one better! I’ll tell you one of mine.” She narrowed her eyes and crinkled her nose, waiting for the lie. 

“When I was just nine I discovered I was a Titanborn. I loved it at first, being so strong and durable. Like a girl of steel. But I didn’t tell anyone, I just practiced in the woods. One day a man saw me in the woods and yelled at me, calling me a demon’s spawn. Said it wasn’t right for me to be so strong. He ran off and called the guards on me.” 

Fia froze, looking at her hands.

“My village was against me before dusk, even my mother. I knew I should run but I went back home to get clothes and my teddy bear, snuggles. But the man was there. With this strange sword…screaming about the end of the world. He shouted at my mother, saying she was a mother of a demon spawn. He charged at me and I…” she squeezed her eyes shut. “I punched him, he flew straight through our house. I just ran away until my legs gave in.” 

Evie’s eyes flooded with tears. She turned around and despite every part of her screaming at her to run, she hugged Fia, desperately hoping it wasn’t a trap. “I’m…I’m so sorry. I don’t know what to say.”

Fia hugged her back. “It’s alright now, this was more than eleven years ago. I realize that you um…probably went through a lot. But I just wanted you to know you’re not alone.” 

She wiped Evie’s tears with a soft smile, though there was sadness lurking in her eyes

“Can I at least know your name? Um, the one your mother gave you.” 

She shook her head, her voice soft, distant. “My name’s Evie, from the Heroine, Evia the swift.”

Fia sighed and stroked her hair. “That’s a nice name, do you like it?” Evie stared at her in silence, Fia grimaced, scratching her hair. “Sorry I’m..not very good at this.” 

Evie shrugged, fixing her gaze on the floor. “Why don’t we go to Locke, like I’ve said quite a.. a few times now, we need your help and well…he’s better at explaining things then me.” 

Fia took her soft hand and carefully rose from the bed, leading her to the surprisingly luxurious living room. 

Evie smelled a faint trace of cinnamon and roasted apples in the air. smiled broadly at the candles lighting the room. “Lots of little flames!” Her eyes sparkled with joy. “They’re so cute!” 

Fia couldn’t help but smile back at her infectious joy. 

Locke glanced over his shoulder and slowly turned around. 

 

“The shape-changer girl has arrived, I was just making some apple bread. But it’ll take a while before it’s done. shall we start, Fia?” His quiet, yet thundering voice echoed through the larger room.

Fia narrowed her eyes at the man. “She has a name, Evie. And-“ 

“I’m not,” Evie said with a light snarl, stepping forward. “I’m not a shape-changer, or some water...bender that does it! I’m just me.” Locke raised his eyebrow, a gleam of skepticism in his grey eyes. 

“There isn’t much known about Faeborn, but I suspect you lot have the power of illusions, am I wrong?”

“Aye. They’re illusions, or at least that’s what some folks called it. I’m not a fancy shape-changer.” 

With tiny steps she walked in front of Locke, twisting her neck to look up at him, her lips drawn back like a snarling animal.

“So don’t call me one!” Evie huffed, mentally cursing herself for sounding like a whining child. Fia just chuckled and leaned her back against the wall, content to watch. 

“What’s wrong with being a sirenborn? They can at the very least get to control water, if not lightning or ice, and water is a very powerful element. The most powerful if the scholars are to be believed.” Locke replied, an amused smile on his face. 

“Water’s wet.” She pursed her lips. “And icky. I don’t like the way my hair feels when it’s wet.” 

“It’s powerful!” Locke’s smile grew, his tone taking on a hint of joy. 

“It’s icky!” Evie stood on the tips of her toes, trying to stand taller against the giant man. 

Locke’s smile faded, “Regardless, we must focus. Evie, could you explain more of your power?”

The girl gulped, her eyes firmly on Locke’s sword, and Fia’s fists. She took a sharp breath and a small step back. 

“I can…” her voice was barely a whisper, She closed her eyes. 

“I can make myself look anyone, at least if I’ve seen them. It’s an illusion, but I can still trick you enough to make it seem real. Your eyes, ears, and smell won’t tell you you’re being fooled. if I know enough, only touch always gives me away.” 

“Um...elaborate?” Fia asked, a small tremor in her voice. 

Evie tilted her head at her. 

“Can you…explain what you mean by knowing enough?” She swallowed and hugged herself. “If I’ve smelled someone’s scent I can trick people into thinking it’s mine.” 

Locke and Fia shared a look of desperation. She looked into their eyes, making herself smaller. “I can make myself sound like them too, I don’t use my thingy for it though.” Fia narrowed her eyes. “…Mostly” Evie’s cheeks turned as red as cherries. 

“Can you show us? When you change.” She looked up at him, then into Fia’s emerald eyes. “Okay..just close your eyes, I make people’s heads hurt if I change.”

They both closed their eyes, Evie looked at the window, yearning to run away and jump into the night. Sadness clouded her features, she’d never make it. “You can look.”

Fia and Locke opened their eyes, staring at the visage of a noble girl in front of them. 

Her body language and posture, however, were far from a noble’s. 

“Like a scared child” Fia thought. With a sniff Fia circled Evie, her face stuck in an expression of awe. 

“Is that, violets?” She nodded. “It’s her favorite.” 

Locke clenched his jaw. The voice was unmistakably from a high society girl, but her inflections were too much like Evie’s, and she sounded far too timid all of the sudden. “Your acting could use some work. But…you’re quite impressive.”  

He crouched before the girl. “Will you help us?” He’d made no effort to disguise the despair creeping into his voice. 

“You’ve said that…that you want me to...help you?” Evie muttered, her face ashen. “With what?” Her eyes flicked between Fia and Locke.

“We want you to help us comfort our grandmother, save a girl enslaved by the Lisari Empire,” His face hardened, his eyes boring into hers. “And kill the Cirrian royalty.”

21