Chapter 9 (And Important Announcement!)
986 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hi everyone! After thinking it over, and more then a few tears, I've decided to take a break before I start writing again. I will be rewriting Of Hearts And Fairies; I just don’t have the heart to continue this version especially after making the mistakes I’ve made. And I've realized that this isn’t the best I can do, ya’ll deserve better! 

This story was inspired by Tearforged, because Clarity's amazing work helped me realize my sexuality. In my excitement and reckless behavior to write and get out chapters, some parts of chapters 4 and 7 were accidentally far too similar to this story as people rightfully pointed out. I’m really sorry for anyone I hurt or angered, I never meant to steal or upset anyone! This is my first story, but, that’s no excuse. I should’ve been more vigilant writing in my writings. But now I also have a proofreader who will read my work before I send it out, which’ll hopefully catch any more stupid mistakes, along with improving my quality.

That said, the rewrite will not change the magic system or the world. I’ll be focusing on changing some of the plot and tweaking characters, so there won’t be any crazy changes and lots of things’ll stay the same In the end. I hope to be back soon! Please enjoy chapter 9, along with the reworked version Of Hearts And Fairies when it comes out. 

 

Chapter 9: Home And Hearth (POV Evie)

“Home is a shelter from storms of every kind, a place where love should soar and grow. Home is where your heart is, and where you are loved.”-A Little Place Called Sanctuary, chapter 1. 

Evie sat on Fia’s bed, brushing her fingers over its silky sheets, marveling at its texture. “So soft.” Then she buries her face in a red pillow, happily humming to herself. 

She peered at the piles of books strewn about on the floor, open, read, and closed, and wrinkles her nose. “Stupid books.” 

She’d read all of them, from “Etiquette for blossoming nobility” to “Posture and grace.” All three volumes, each. She was particularly ‘fond’ of “Those below a noble.” And thought about tossing it an ironguard, and in the sea. In that order. 

Meanwhile, her stomach roared. She looked at her tummy and put a finger on her lips. “Shhhh.” Evie creased her brow, shaking her head. “Don't be rude!” She fondly thought back to devouring the salmon and apple bread last night. 

“Hey!” Fia chirped, “I brought-“ In a flash, Evie leaped from the bed, and tried snatching the bag by the time Fia finished blinking. “-Food!! Gimme!! Gimeeeee!” She pulled at the bag with all her might, but it barely moved her way. 

“Easy! Did you study?” Evie scowled, her eyes burning with anger. “YES! AND I’M HUNGRY!” She growled, pouting fiercely. 

“Look I know you’re hungry but you can’t just inhale-“ Evie furrows her brows, a fierce determination shining in her eyes. And more anger, lots of it. 

“GIMME FOOD!” Her stomach growled like a dragon. “NOW!” The scent of fruits and warm chicken drove her to a frenzy. 

“Calm down-“ Fialyn carefully sets down the bag, and flashes her a bubbly smile. “This food is for “ 

Before she could say another word Evie dove right into the bag and started stuffing her face with steaming chicken and raspberries.

“-Okay then.” She pats Evie’s back then turns on her heel and walks off. “I’ll be right back!”

On her way out Fialyn bumped right into Locke’s chest. “Oof! Hey!” She furrows her brows.

Locke however, narrowed his eyes at her and crosses his arms in response. “Is that...our food she’s eating?”

Fia beams at Locke then shrugs. “Yup! But I’ll get more!” She chirps. 

“We don’t have infinite money, Fialyn.” Now it was her turn to scowl. 

“I don’t care, I’ll pay for it. She deserves to be happy, and to know what it’s like to, you know..not be hungry all the time? You don’t fix starvation overnight! Is that so hard for you to understand? Now step aside,” Fia folded her arms. “Or do I have to make you? You know I can!” 

Locke groaned and stepped asides. “Look, I want her to be happy too. But we have to remember why we’re here. If we just spoil her...” He pinched the bridge of his nose. 

“She’s...bratty enough as it is.” 

Fia rolls her eyes. “Or maybe youuuu just have a lance up your-“ 

“Fialyn,” Locke said, the tiniest trace of annoyance in his voice. “I do not have a lance up my ass. I’m just responsible.” 

She scoffed, and strode off, grabbing a basket. “You can be responsible without being an ass.” She mumbled, shutting the expensive ornate door behind her. 

Fia stretched her arms, basking in the morning light as she walks into the market district. 

“Citizens,” An ironguard’s voice shouted, its voice carrying through the streets effortlessly. “Due to unexplained disappearances of civilians and imperial staff, in 2 days, from the 12th of Luminaris, there will be a curfew. Anyone found on the streets past Elven A’night will be arrested and prosecuted. Citizens, Due to unexplained disappearances...”

Fia’s heartbeat quickened, and she gulped. Her thoughts darted to Evie if they hadn’t found her...She shook her head, banishing the nasty thoughts. 

“She’ll be safe.” She murmured, “Now to get some food.” 

Fia sighed and ran a hand through her hair, strolling past various food stalls. 

“Oysters, clams, and cockles!” A girl shouted. 

She giggled. “Cockles.” Fia smacked her lips and scratched her cheek. “Am I immature?”

She stares into the distance, as if deep in thought. Then shrugged and casually continued her walk. “Eh.” 

“Come get your fresh milis and other fruits here! Now for only 20 coppers a pound!” 

Fia blinked, then grits her teeth and rubs her temples. “Taxes are up..” She whispered. 

She scrutinized the gaunt man selling fruits, he has a look in his eyes of someone with very little, while needing much more. She knew it all too well. 

“Here.” Fia laid a gold rioga on his stall. “Use it well. Take care of your kids.” 

The man’s eyes bulged out of their sockets. “How...did you know?” 

“I just know the look.” She said, her lips curving into a solemn smile. 

Her eyes settled on a stall selling bread and various butters. 

“Good dawn!” She chirped. 

“Please, buy my bread. I beg of you. I’ve had to raise the prices again...” The old woman’s voice was shrill and tremulous as if she was on the verge of tears. 

Fia glanced at her purse, and winced. She had very little left to spend today. 

“Umm well, I can buy your bread ma’am.” 

The old lady’s eyes lit up like a bonfire in the night. “Oh thank you!” 

Fialyn filled her basket with various loaves of bread. “Would you also have some butter?”

The lady practically shoved the jar of butter in her hands. “Thanks.” 

“50 silver rioga’s please.” She flicks her a gold rioga. “Keep the change.” Fia beamed at the old woman then departed with a wave. 

With a spring in her step, the Titanborn girl started to walk home. But her peaceful stroll was broken by a frightened scream. 

Her necks snaps to the source of the scream, a dark alley. “Never a dull moment,” Fia said sternly, before she ran into the alley without a moment’s thought.

She was met with the metallic eyes of three ironguards, and a tall, if a mostly lean man. His sword at a young boy’s throat, while his other hand held the tangled hair of a young girl. 

“Well...what do we have here?” His wolfish face scrunched into a sneer. “A lost little lamb, perhaps looking to save these two?” The man turned to the girl. “That was a very good scream, thank you. I knew it’d attract someone I could actually extort, or rob. Whichever you prefer.”

Fia grins wickedly and pops her knuckles. “I’m going to enjoy wiping that smirk off your face.”

She glances at the deathly machines. “And I’ll get to break a few ironguards too! Aw, and to think it’s not even my life-day...” 

The man steps forward and licks his lips. “I’m going to have fun with you. But you should really know better. I’m captain Moreian of Arivel’s imperial guard. You should be on your knees, bowing.”

Fia raised an eyebrow, then squealed in laughter. “I’m sorry, captain More-I-what? Do you have to have such a hard-to-pronounce name? And you know what?”

She craned her neck, and a satisfying pop echoed through the alley. “Extorting people is one thing, being an ass is another....”

Fialyn stepped in the shadows, and her pupils lit up in a Forest green glow. 

“But putting a sword to a boy’s throat and frightening children...you’re in for a very, very, bad day, buddy.”

A cocky smirk twisted the captain’s lips. “Kill her.” He growled. 

The Ironguard drew their blades together, “Combat protocol 4.” The metallic beasts chorused. 

With slow, but long strides they marched closer and closer to Fia, sweeping their impossibly sharp swords in front of them in a whirlwind of steel. 

“Ah yes, combat protocol 4, my favorite.” She taunted. 

Moriean laughed darkly. “Taunt all you like, they’re going to cut you to ribbons.”

The children screamed, and Fia lunged forward, catching the blade mid-air, with nothing but her two fingers. 

“Oops.” She grins, then pulls the ironguard backwards. “Oh, would you look at that! I found a weapon.” 

Fia tightens her grip on the blade, then wacks a ironguard with the one she was holding like a rag doll. Both machines instantly fell apart into nothing but scraps on the spot. 

“Titanborn!” The captain screeched, his voice as shrill and tremulous as the old lady’s.

“My glowing green eyes weren’t enough of a hint?” She runs up to the last machine left standing then springs in the air. 

The ironguard makes a move to stab her, but it’s too late. 

Fia headbutts the machine, and with a small shockwave, its head is blown to pieces. 

“Impossible! Impossible…No Titanborn is that strong!!” The captain’s face is stuck in a expression of horror. 

The girl shrugs then dusts off her dress. “I am.” She walks up to the man and pokes his forehead, promptly making him fall to the ground. 

“Now...I suggest you give these kids some compensation, for their troubles.” She chirped sweetly. 

Moriean hastily dug around in his pockets with shaking hands, until he revealed a stuffed coin purse. 

“Wow! That’s a big coin purse! You’re so charitable mister More-I-what!” She snatched the purse then tossed it over her shoulder, which the boy caught. 

“Thank you, lady!” The kids spoke in harmony, then scampered off. 

She bends over, and flicks his nose, Instantly breaking it. The captain howled in pain, clutching his bleeding nose. 

“Listen to me, and listen good!” Fia growled. “If I ever see you again, or find out you’ve been extorting people or hurt anyone, if you come after me or if I see my face on the wanted posters, I’ll crush your windpipe with the tiniest squeeze. And don’t think I can’t find you.”

She tapped her nose with a malicious gleam in her eyes. “My nose is as sharp as the dragons and the titans of old. And I’ve got your nasty scent. So don’t do anything...stupid? Can you do that for me?”

The man nodded, tears welling up in his eyes. 

“Good! Have a lovely day, jerkface.” She spat. 

Fia sighed and absently ran a hand through her hair, fixing it. 

A thundering sound filled the air, a gunshot. 

Fialyn blinked, her eyes falling on captain Moreian, holding a gun, smoke rising from its barrel. 

“I know a Titanborn’s weakness!” He jeers, before losing himself in laughter. “Their mouth is soft and weak, just like the rest of us.” 

She tilts her head, before a flash of rage crosses her face. 

Fia spits out the bullet and clenches her fists. “How RUDE! What kinda shitbag shoots someone in the mouth?!” 

He drops his gun, his eyes wide. 

“I don’t understand...” 

She shakes her head. “I tried to be nice.” She crushes his pistol in her hand and grabs his arm, “But you’re just an S-tier asshole, aren’t you? Our weakness isn’t in our mouths, though I do really like food...anyway, I don’t want to kill you but you do need to be taught a lesson.” 

Fia twists his arm, and giggles, ignoring his screams. “Next time though, I’ll be sure to follow up on my little threat.” 

She turns on her heels, picks up her basket, and continues her way home. 

                                                                                                                  ****

Locke breathed a deep sigh in front of Fia’s room. “Okay, you’ve got this. She’s just a teenage girl.” 

With a brave expression on his face, he waltzed through the door, and drinks in the sight of Evie, still eating away in the bag. 

“…Um, hello?” 

“Hmpf,” Evie grunted, before pulling herself out of the bag. “What? I’m eating.” She pouted, sucking on a piece of chicken bone, her face smudged with bits of chicken and fruit. 

“Well...I was hoping to wash your hair.” He flashes her a charming grin. 

“No!” She dove back into the bag. “Water’s icky!” 

Locke silently groaned, but his smile returned. “Okay, maybe later?” 

Evie let out a loud grunt, then left the room in a blur. 

“…What? Where?” He ran out into the living room. “Evie?” 

Locke ground his teeth in his frustration. “Please come out...” Then a horrible thought occurred to him. “You’re not...eating my apple pie are you?” He frantically looked around, and quickly checked a cupboard in the kitchen. No apple pie in sight. 

“Damnit!” He heard the sound of a door slamming shut and exhaled a sigh of relief. 

“Fie!” 

“What now?” Fialyn replied, irritation seeping into her voice. 

“Evie stole my apple pie!” Locke huffed. “And I don’t know where she is! She’s a damned Faeborn, she could be anywhere.”

Fia rolled her eyes. “Fine, ya big baby.” 

The pair walked out into the living room when Locke’s jaw dropped. 

“You!” Fia stomped her foot. 

“Me?” The other Fia said, full of disbelief. 

“Gods, curse me...” Locke mumbled, cradling his forehead. “I’m never going to find that pie am I?”

The two Fia’s stared each other down viciously, neither breaking eye contact. 

“Stop impersonating me!” They shouted. 

“I mean it was fun at first but now I’m just annoyed!” The girls crossed their arms. 

One Fia blows at the other’s hair, causing her to gasp then she retaliated by blowing her twin’s hair. 

“Oh, you did not just do that!” The Fia’s growled. “I’m the real Fia!” 

The twins engaged in a fierce competition of hair blowing, each trying to blow or mess up the other’s hair better than the other. 

“Enough!” Locke nearly shouted. “There is a simple way of resolving this.” With a confident twinkle in his eyes, he sauntered over to the Fia’s, and tried touching them. But his attempt fell short, as his hands went straight through the girls as if there was nobody there.

“Oh...” Locke’s face turned as red as a tomato. “…I see.” He cleared his throat, then his eyes flashed with anger. 

“I see!” He ‘calmly’ strode into the living room, and looked around. “Hmm.” 

A small piece of a crumb fell on his shoulder. He took the little crumb between his fingers, then looked over his shoulder. 

Evie was quietly devouring his apple pie, snugly laying on top a bookshelf. 

She froze mid-bite when her eyes met his. 

“You...are in big trouble.” He scolded, doing his best to look stern and authoritative. 

Evie hissed in response, just like a cat. Then continued nibbling on the pie as If nothing happened. 

Locke could hardly believe his ears. “What in?…” 

The door flew open with a bang, and Fia calmly walked inside. “Hi!” She sat down the basket and gave Locke a toothy grin. 

“I brought bread! Also I got shot in the mouth.” She stretched out her arms. “Did get some good morning exercise though, anyway I’ll be taking a shower now. Oh! Can I wash Evie’s hair? Yes? Good!” 

Locke gawked at her, at a loss for words. 

Fia scratched her hair. “Where is she?” She cocked her head, then smiled and waved. 

“Hi, Evie! That looks like a yummy apple pie.” Locke shot her a glare, but Fia winked back at him. 

Evie blinked, then glanced at the pie. She bit her lip, remorse clouding her face. 

She hopped down and offered Locke what was left of his pie. 

“I…thanks, kid.” For just a second, Evie smiled, then she sprinted away. 

Fialyn stood on a chair and laid her hand on his shoulder. “I told you, she’s a good girl. She really is, I think she’s just...been through a lot.” 

Locke sighed, and put down the pie on the table. “I think you’re right. Helping us comfort Annie and saving Rosie is one thing. How are we supposed to expect her to be an assassin? What are we doing Fialyn?” 

She grimaced and rubbed her arm. “I don’t know. I look at her and all I want is to be her mother...or give her a home at least. Do we have to go after the Cirrian royals?” 

He stared into her eyes, and his jaw trembled. “Who else will? My contacts tell me the Lyrians are content to enrage the Cirrian royals out of hiding instead of actively hunting them. These god-forsaken people have done too much wrong in the world to stay in it.” 

Fia took a sharp, shallow breath. Then stormed off, drying away a lonely tear. 

10