A4 – Chapter 160 – New Normals
2.3k 15 86
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

USD: 3 days after Solarian Retreat

Location: Meltisar, Mil-1A Rendezvous, Battleship Aegis


Two days later, Alex found her time aboard the MNS Aegis wrapping up. She had been fully immersed in the ship's daily routines, getting live hands-on experience at multiple stations under the observation of different officers. It was an assignment created by her training cadre due to her absence from the academy. Since she was going to be gone, they expected that she would get as much learning as possible from the experience.

As she moved through the bustling corridors, the hum of machinery and muffled conversations filled her ears. The air held a distinct scent—a mix of ozone, metal, and even human perspiration that seemed to cling to the air. It was more sterile and sharper than on the older MIL-1A space elevator station.

Despite her unusual status on the ship as an ensign still in training, she enjoyed the experience of meeting so many new people. Their reactions to her presence and their orders to deal with her varied; some believed she had no place on the ship and simply assigned her a watch and make-work to keep her out of the way.

But most took it upon themselves to teach her the ropes and what being a junior officer entailed, offering guidance and advice as they shared their experience with her.

Regardless of where she went and what she was doing, cold and distant gazes followed her, interspersed with curious glances. She was the only ensign assigned to the fleet’s most prestigious flagship. Even if it was just a temporary assignment, the novelty of her didn’t wear off in those few weeks she had been on board.

Coming to the hangar bay, she squeezed in with the others to look out through crystal portholes that allowed a close up look at MIL-1A, the Meltisar Navy’s primary orbital and space elevator that led to New Brisbane below. It was a hub of activity as a massive section was slowly being rebuilt and attached after the damage and events a few months earlier. They were lucky that there was a station left at all, or even that the planet wasn’t a writhing ball of grey goo.

She set her single piece of luggage down and waited with the rest of the crew who were set for shore leave and to disembark. The ship moved slowly, small tugs taking up the job of sliding it into place on the dry dock's rails. Blue shimmering I-fields hummed and blanketed the area between thick steel support beams as they kept the atmosphere contained inside.

As the colossal spider web of steel filled her vision, the drydock bay came into view, along with dozens of personnel and machines all moving to and fro going about their work. It lacked the clean, sterile environment of the newest warship in the Meltisar navy, but the chaotic vibrancy of movement was familiar.

As the ship slid into its final position, the gangway airlock lined up with the station's, and a crowd of waiting personnel came into view. Alex stretched on her toes to try and catch a glimpse of the two people who had promised to be waiting for her. She didn't spot them.

Disappointed, she waited until the gangway connected and everyone began to fall out in order. She was near the back of the pack having been slightly late, and it took almost ten minutes before it was her turn to head down the narrow ramp and into the station. The smell hit her first: a mix of old oil, rust, and an aged tang that hinted at an older vessel or, in this case, station.

An arm stuck up above the heads of the crowd, a red and black sleeve highlighting it in a sea of grey and gold. A smile immediately appeared on Alex's face as she made her way over to it.

Elis and Rachel were waiting; Rachel gave her an enthusiastic wave as she approached. Elis wore her vivid red and black Federation Marine uniform, easily standing out against Rachel's cadet grays. Both offered her warm smiles.

"Welcome back!" Rachel exclaimed.

 Alex mumbled a thanks before slipping her arms around Elis and giving her sister a hug. "I'm back!"

"You sent the Solarians packing?" Rachel inquired.

Alex's smile slipped into a neutral expression. "They retreated and just sent their envoy."

"That's great!" Rachel enthused.

Alex wished she could feel as happy about it as Rachel, but her friend wasn't as privy to all the politics that Tia would regularly dump in her lap if you weren't careful.

"That's enough of that, after a few weeks on board an actual warship, how are you feeling?" Elis questioned.

"It was… an experience. I think I learned a lot."

Elis nodded, "That's good."

"I wish I had a chance to go, too," Rachel lamented. "Really, how was it on board the fleet’s largest flagship and most coveted shipboard assignment?"

Alex sighed, "Honestly, it was sometimes a pain. They either didn’t trust me with anything important or assumed I knew everything. And then I had Nameless filling my head with technical manuals while I tried to figure things out.”

[Informative: This unit notes Avatar’s efficiency has marginally improved due to hands-on application. Further investigation is needed in order to bring Avatar’s performance to a marginal level.]

Alex let out an annoyed tsk as Elis and Rachel exchanged knowing glances, realizing that Nameless had said something to Alex.

Rachel chimed in, grinning, "You missed our mid-semester exam. I can give you some pointers on what might be on the make-up."

Elis added, “You should see Tia about some things after you settle in. She asked me to notify you.”

Alex groaned at the thought of taking a makeup exam. “Can’t the live hands-on count?”

“You wish!” Rachel retorted playfully.

“I’ll just have Nameless do the written part,” Alex suggested.

Elis placed her hand on the back of Alex’s collar, giving her a stern look. “That’s a bad idea.”

The three of them continued walking towards the tram station as Alex groaned even more, dreading the upcoming test. The anticipation of reuniting with their classmates and returning to their routines after an eventful few weeks lingered in the air.

The station was crowded; it felt like there were more people on it than ever before, even after the catastrophe. As they waited for their high-priority military tram, a cacophony of voices and machines filled the space and echoed through the drydock bay. The tram station had multiple different destinations and things slowly calmed down as the shore leave crew embarked and took off toward their various destinations.

Despite the high priority tram’s moniker, it was the last to arrive. But it would have a dedicated rail that would take them direct across the entire station and to the academy. The dedicated line made the ride brief; only taking a few minutes as the high-speed vehicle streaked across over half the station at a dizzying speed. Once they arrived, Rachel bid her farewells, promising to catch up with Alex later before disappearing into the crowd.

Walking side by side, Alex and Elis moved through the academy section in companionable silence. They passed by an impressive green area adorned with trees and a mesmerizing fountain that danced gracefully in the artificial lights.

Their destination was the living quarters designated for high-ranking officers rather than cadets - an allowance made due to Alex’s NAI status. Upon reaching their shared residence, they were met with a spacious entryway that exuded both luxury and comfort.

Eager to step inside, Alex began to move forward but was brought to a halt by Elis’ pointed reminder. “Shoes,” she warned. With a groan of frustration, Alex complied, removing her boots and placing them neatly in the designated footwear spot.

Once inside, Alex hurried into the expansive living room and marveled at its high ceilings and luxurious furnishings that combined futuristic design with plant-based aesthetics. Two large sofas faced each other across a generous holovid TV screen, inviting relaxation and camaraderie.

Thea sat on one couch engrossed in reading from a datapad. Her attention was drawn away as she noticed Alex entering the room. She looked up and greeted her warmly, “Hey,” Thea said with a smile, setting aside her datapad as she welcomed her friend back home.

Alex’s smile brightened as she greeted Thea. “Hi, Thea!”

Thea grinned back and remarked, “I wasn’t sure if you’d get held up by reporters again.”

Alex shook her head, her relief evident. “Admiral Parks was kind enough to ask the captain to dump the shore leave all at once, and there were way too many people for them to single me out, I think.” She gave a thumbs-up before heading through the kitchen and to her room.

Her living space was filled with familiar belongings from her previous apartment – not that she owned much. Not having too many things did make traveling easier. And traveling a lot was what she had been doing between academy work. She carefully began to unpack, appreciating the simple comforts of home amidst her hectic life.

As Alex focused on unpacking, a tantalizing aroma wafted through the air, making her eyes light up. Unable to contain her curiosity, she called out, “What’s that smell?”

Elis’ muffled laughter echoed in response. “I’m making sausage, bacon, and pancakes with real syrup – not the MRE stuff!”

Excitement bubbled within Alex as she hurried back into the kitchen area where Thea sat at the counter waiting for food while still browsing her datapad. Alex playfully scolded her friend: “You’re not allowed to steal all my sister’s cooking!”

Elis laughed heartily from behind the stove as delightful smells continued to fill the room. She reassured Alex while expertly flipping pancakes onto plates. “Relax! I’m making enough for all three of us.”


Alex and Thea prepared to head out, the door of their quarters slid open with a soft mechanical hum. Elis called after them, “Be safe!” as they stepped into the pristine hallway lined with sleek metallic walls.

Once outside, Alex playfully confronted Thea under the cool glow of overhead lights. “Are you going to follow me everywhere?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

Thea smirked and replied, “It’s my job now.”

Alex huffed, glancing at her friend as they walked past windows revealing stunning views of the space station’s exterior. “I didn’t agree to it.”

Thea shot back, “Well, you shouldn’t have left it up to Celestia then.”

They boarded the tram leading to the central station module. Its interior buzzed with passengers engaged in conversations or tapping away on datapads. Alex continued to grumble about Thea following her, but it was less because she didn’t like it and more because she just wanted to grumble about something. The whole trip seemed superfluous since Tia could have just called her.

“I don’t need someone to mind me, and I can protect myself,” Alex mumbled, her voice barely audible over the hum of the tram. The vehicle sped smoothly along its track through tunnels filled with crisscrossing beams and pulsing lights.

“Besides,” Alex added with a pointed look at Thea as they sat side by side in the crowded compartment, “you put your arm through my chest before! Having you guard me is…” She trailed off, unable or unwilling to find the right words to express her mixed feelings.

Thea frowned and glanced away from Alex as they passed by another window showcasing an immense docking bay filled with various spacecraft. “Are you still holding a grudge about that? I thought we had no hard feelings.”

Alex let out a compressed sigh and leaned over to give her a one-armed hug. “It’s fine. You didn’t have a choice with the compulsions put on you. And Rachel and Elis are okay. It might have been harder to forgive you if Fallon hadn’t had returned Elis.”

Thea nodded in quiet agreement as the tram neared its destination. Curiosity piqued beneath clusters of hovering holoscreens displaying announcements and advertisements, Alex inquired about Tia’s intentions for their upcoming meeting.

“What does Tia need to see me for? Why couldn’t we just talk over video chat?” she asked, watching as the tram began to slow down near a platform bustling with activity.

Thea hesitated and said, “I’m not sure. Do you want me to ping her?”

Alex shook her head, “The time for that was before we left the apartment, we are almost there anyway now.”

As they stepped off the train, Alex quickly realized that her luck in escaping the reporters after disembarking from the MNS Aegis hadn’t held up. There was a swarm of reporters waiting just outside the security checkpoint of Fleet HQ. The bustling platform teemed with people, yet it was clear that the journalists had gathered with one purpose only: to hound Alex.

“Damn, let’s try another way around,” Alex muttered, glancing nervously at the crowd as they navigated through the station’s pristine corridors bathed in ambient lighting.

Thea nodded in agreement. “Good idea.”

They started to search for an alternate entry point amidst rows of vibrant holographic advertisements and sleek storefronts. However, their efforts were thwarted when one of the reporters spotted them and shouted, “There’s the Chi NAI!”

Thea cursed under her breath. “We’re going through,” she decided, positioning herself protectively in front of Alex. They began pushing their way through the throng of insistent reporters armed with cameras and datapads, each vying for a glimpse or word from Alex.

As they wove through passageways lined with lush greenery and futuristic architecture, station security personnel rushed from the gates to disperse the persistent journalists as a barrage of questions assaulted her. One particularly invasive reporter managed to get too close; his face contorted into an eager grin before Thea wasted no time in smashing her fist into it.

Sent sprawling to the ground in a bloody mess, he clutched at his camera. Thea promptly put a boot into it, smashing it into thousands of pieces. The surrounding reporters screamed and scrambled away, wailing about murder and maniacs while security officers muttered curses under their breaths.

Alex felt her heart rate gradually begin to calm down as they were ushered through security at an expedited pace. The chaos behind them diminished as they moved further away from it all, stepping into calmer areas where other officers went about their business, oblivious to the drama that had unfolded just moments before.

The Navy Headquarters buzzed with activity, a testament to the vast scale of the station’s operations. Hundreds of officers scurried back and forth between various bureau headquarters, their uniforms crisp and movements purposeful. A line of people waited at the Bureau of Personnel, some chatting quietly while others studied datapads or stared off into space.

Alex and Thea made their way towards High Command, passing through pristine corridors adorned with military insignia and tasteful artwork celebrating naval achievements. Alex didn’t pay them much heed; she still felt like an outsider most of the time. The soft hum of conversations filled the air as officers carried out their duties in this bustling environment.

As they walked, Alex dutifully saluted each officer they crossed paths with. Thea couldn’t resist teasing her about it, smirking as she remarked, “You really enjoy all that saluting, don’t you?”

Alex rolled her eyes but couldn’t suppress a grin. “You should have joined the Navy,” she shot back playfully, “then you’d be doing it too.”

Thea scoffed at the idea, shaking her head vehemently. “I’d be caught dead before joining any service ever again.” Her expression was determined yet tinged with a hint of bitterness.

Alex raised an eyebrow as they continued walking through the impressive halls lined with polished floors that reflected their surroundings like mirrors. “But you’re doing what Tia wants by being my bodyguard, aren’t you?” she asked gently.

Thea laughed lightly as they approached their destination – a set of large double doors that led to High Command. She met Alex’s gaze sincerely and said earnestly, “That’s because it’s something I want to do.” Pausing for emphasis before continuing, she added, “As soon as I joined a service, I’d be forced to do it – and that would take all the fun out of it.”

As they entered High Command, an officer scrutinized them with a furrowed brow as if questioning their presence. He stepped forward to intercept them, his posture rigid and authoritative. But before he could intervene, Alex swiped her ID at the security checkpoint, and it let them through as cleared – the monitor displaying “VIP & Escort.” The officer’s stern expression softened for a moment, replaced by one of respect as he saluted. Alex smiled warmly back while returning the salute.

Her card unlocked a VIP elevator which whisked them up to a special wing – Tia’s command center. The room was empty but featured a full replica of MIL-1A’s bridge & CIC, complete with immaculate consoles and glowing holographic displays that illuminated the area in a soft blue hue. The air itself hummed with energy as they walked through the eerily quiet space towards Tia’s office.

Upon their arrival, Thea cheerfully announced, her eyes twinkling mischievously, “One wayward Meltisar cadet for you, Celestia.”

Tia looked up from her work with a glare that could pierce steel. Her jaw clenched in irritation as she gestured towards a large screen. Two video feeds appeared on hologram projections suspended in mid-air before them. One was a newsreel of Thea smashing the reporter in the face labeled “NAI terrorizes reporters,” and the other showed her destroying the camera under the headline “Chi Myers’ Bodyguard thwarts assassination attempt!”

Tia fixed them both with an ice-cold stare that conveyed her barely contained frustration. Her voice was low and tense, “What the hell were you thinking!”


Discord is available for chatting and comes with ShipCore stickers and stuff!

Next time... Chapter 161 – Sitrep Establishment, Meltisar

See you, Space core

86