Chapter 80: Confronting Yourself
1.6k 13 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eve fidgeted nervously as her daughter sat down in the comfy chair that had been prepared for her.

“Will…it hurt?” Aria asked, looking up to Kali nervously.

Kali smiled and shook her head. “No. If it makes you feel any better, though, I can put you to sleep while it happens.”

Aria hesitated, then nodded. “Yes please.” She whispered.

“Alright.” Kali said. “I’m going to count down from ten, and then you’ll be out. Ten…nine…eight…”

Aria’s eyes closed, and she began to snore softly.

“So…how are we doing this, exactly?” Eve asked. “I gave her the Skill like you said, but do we need to do anything else?”

“No.” Kali said. “That should allow her to converse with the sort of…backup of Errus I have. I took a copy of his psychological profile from the past, and I’m going to, in essence, insert it into the sort of opening for another personality that Skill gives. I’m going to try and exclude it from Familial Bond as well, so that doesn’t influence things either.

“I’m also going to see if I can’t bring back some of his memories too, at least for the Errus personality. I’m not totally sure I can keep that confined to just Errus and not Aria, but if I can’t then…well, I can’t. But those memories kind of need to be back to get a good idea of what Errus actually wants.”

“That’s fine.” Lilith said. “For all her timidness, Aria’s a strong girl. I think she can handle those memories, even as she is now.”

Kali nodded. “Alright. Give me a couple of minutes here, then…” She focused in on Aria, and began to apply her magic.

Lilith walked over to Eve and grabbed her hand. “You seem more nervous about this than Aria is.” She said, squeezing the hand comfortingly. “I get it, though. I can’t help but be nervous too. But…our job is to be strong for our daughter. We need to be there for her if she starts to freak out or something.”

“You’re right.” Eve said, sighing. “It’s just hard. I mean…she could be…leaving after this. I don’t want to say goodbye to her, but if we have to…”

“I know.” Lilith replied. “I know. But we can’t let her see that. It’s just going to make this harder for her than it needs to be.”

The two fell into silence as they watched Kali work, and a few tense minutes later Kali straightened up, looking back at Lilith and Eve. “It’s done.” She said. “Once I wake her up, we’ll be ready to start. Just let me know, and we can begin.”

Lilith turned to Eve, who nodded. “We’re ready.”

“Right.” Kali replied, turning back to Aria. She touched Aria’s forehead, and the girl’s eyes flickered open.

Aria frowned for a moment, then her face screwed up in concentration, and a silhouette slowly faded into existence next to her, gradually becoming more and more opaque until, eventually, it looked just like a regular person. Eve could tell that it was, in essence, an illusion that mimicked touch as well – there wasn’t actually any physical matter there, just empty space.

The illusion, which had taken the appearance Errus had before he had become Aria, smiled, crouching down so he was at eye level with Aria. “Hey there.” He said, patting the girl’s head. “How are you doing?”

Aria blinked, clearly unsure what to say. “I…don’t know.”

Errus laughed, tousling Aria’s hair affectionately. “I get it, I get it. This is a confusing time for you, I’m sure. Now, I believe you had something you wanted to say to me?” He had the tone of a grandfather catching up with one of his grandchildren, something that came as a surprise to Eve. She had almost expected him to be indignant, affronted by the girl that had effectively stolen his life.

Aria paused for a moment, making that expression she made when she was trying to work up her courage. “I…I’m sorry.” She said. “I’m…living instead of you, and I really shouldn’t be. If…if you want your life back, I’ll give it to you, but…” She trailed off, looking away from Errus.

“But?” He prompted.

“But…I don’t want to.” Aria admitted. “I know it’s selfish, and I know it’s wrong, but I don’t want to give this life up. I love my moms and my sister from the bottom of my heart, and I don’t want to leave them. And…and I’m scared. If I give your life back…what happens to me?”

Aria started to sniffle as she continued. “This isn’t fair.” She said. “I didn’t ask to have a past life, I didn’t want any of this! Why…why couldn’t I have just been a normal girl? Why did things have to be like this? Why do I have to make a choice between doing the right thing and being me?!”

Errus smiled gently, pulling Aria into a hug. “Life isn’t fair.” He said. “And unfortunately, that’s just the way things are. When life starts being unfair like this, the only thing you can do is to just…keep your head high and keep doing the right thing. Things will get better, I promise.”

“That’s easy for you to say!” Aria wailed. “Things won’t get better for me! I’m going to die! You could at least look sorry about it!”

Eve’s heart ached as she watched the two of them converse. Watching her daughter cry like this filled her with a profound grief and pain, both for the fact that this might be the last she saw her daughter, and also for how pained Aria looked. And yet…Eve also felt…proud. She was proud that her daughter had the resolve to do what she thought was right, even if that meant marching to her death.

Errus gave her another smile. “I think you’re jumping to conclusions.” He said, reaching up to wipe her tears. It didn’t actually do anything, since he was only an illusion, but he tried anyway. “I’m not going to take your life away from you.”

“You’re…not?” Aria sniffled, looking up hopefully. “But…you just said to do the right thing, and that’s…giving you everything back.”

“That’s only the right thing if I want it back.” He said. “And…well, I think you’re just as much of a person as I am. You may have been born out of some alterations, but…that’s not the case anymore. This is who you are now, completely unmodified by anything else. I can’t just…kill someone like that, it goes against everything I stand for.

“Besides, the way I see it, I died when I lost to Mai the first time. I was killed, and then I was reincarnated into someone only kind of like myself. He too, was killed when he lost to your mother, and…well, he may have been a person too, but he was a bad one. I don’t feel bad about his death, and you shouldn’t either.

“But…” Aria protested, “I’m not like you, or even like…him. I’m a selfish scaredy cat who’s too afraid to do the right thing. I…I’ve known for weeks what the right thing to do was and I just…couldn’t bring myself to do it until now. I…I have a responsibility as a Perfect Chimera, and…I don’t think I can do it.”

Errus once again pat her head. “And what’s wrong with that?” He asked. “I may have thought keeping people safe was my responsibility, but that doesn’t mean you have to. The world’s in a much better place than it was when I was alive, it can handle not having one of the Perfect Chimeras around. I mean…things have been fine with just Winston and Isa for a long time now, and with your mother here there’s really nothing to worry about.

“You can take your time and grow up, and if you’re still not up to the task of keeping people safe, then…don’t. Just…live a normal life, go find something you want to do, maybe meet someone you have an interest in and have kids of your own, I don’t know. It’s not really my place to tell you what to do with your life.”

Aria nodded hesitantly. “Are…you sure?” She asked. “If…if you’re sure, then I’m not going to give myself up, even if you want it later. I’m going to stay me forever.”

Errus gave her a gentle smile. “I’m sure.” He said. “But, before I go, I need to talk to your moms, is that alright?”

Aria paused, taking a moment to wipe her eyes. “I…that’s alright, yeah.”

Errus straightened, walking over to Lilith and Eve. “You have to take good care of her, you understand?” He said, giving the two of them a strict glance. “I won’t stand for you neglecting or spoiling her.” He paused for a moment before continuing on.

“Nuwa, you cannot keep staying as hands-off as you have been. Like it or not, you’re a mother now, and these girls want your love. I do not care if that comes in the form of just playing video games with them or something, but you have to interact with them.”

I know. Nuwa said. We were actually talking about that before Aria came to get us. I’ll be out and about more, for them.

“Good. Mae, I…well, I have no issue with your behavior. You’ve always been available when the girls want you, and you haven’t been needlessly strict or overly lenient. If anything, might I ask that you help keep your other selves in line?”

Of course. Mae replied. I will do my utmost to ensure that these two are raised into upstanding women.

“Thank you, it’s a weight off of my shoulders. Lilith, I have found that, at times, you can be a tad too strict. I understand wanting to make extra sure that Mai does not backslide into her old ways, and I understand that you’re worried that there are lingering bits of the me that Mai raised, but you do not need to worry so.

“I speak from experience when I say that Mai’s magic makes the past feel like something that was read out of a book. There is no…attachment to it any longer, and there is no desire to return to old behavior outside of that that the new personality might have. Mai went for a complete reset of you, and so she is, in essence, a blank slate as well.

“Aria is different, as she has already been given some personality by Mai, but it extends no further than what is already present. Should you raise them as you would normal children, you need not worry about their pasts.”

Lilith paused for a moment, then nodded. “I…understand. I will be more lenient, then.”

“Good.” Errus said, giving her a smile before turning to Eve. “And, finally, Eve.” He sighed, a sort of exasperated smile on his face as he looked at her. “You spoil them far too much. You cannot give them things just because they ask, you need to make them work for it first. I know their smiles make you happy, but you need to be strong, for their sake.

“But…” He hesitated slightly before continuing. “The kindness has not been wasted. You have been Aria’s rock more times than you might have thought. I need not tell you this, but she is the type to bottle up her feelings and continue on as if nothing is amiss. Several times your presence has made her feel…better, and for that I thank you.”

“Y-you don’t need to tell them that!” Aria stammered. “That’s supposed to be private!”

Errus gave her a smile. “I felt it best I give them my thanks now, for I might not have the opportunity again for quite some time.”

Eve nodded slowly. “I will…take your advice into consideration.” She said, not quite sure how to respond to that. “Uh…thanks.”

He walked back over, giving Aria one last pat on the head. “And now, I think it is time for me to take my leave. I’m going to go sleep inside of Aria until she has need of me.” He focused his gaze in on Aria, a serious look on his face. “I will not be awake or aware until the time comes that you call on me again. Should you feel troubled or endangered, you need but call, and I will come to your aid as best I can. But, by no means feel obligated to do so. This is your life now, and as such it is your choice.”

And with that, Errus faded from view, leaving Aria sitting up in the bed, a dazed expression on her face. After a moment she got up, took a hesitate step forward, then another, and then began running full-tilt at Eve. It took her only a moment more to get close to Eve, at which point she launched herself into her mother’s waiting arms.

“I – I w-was so scared!” She sniffled. “I…I t-thought he was gonna want my b-body, and that I was gonna die for sure! I’m…I’m…just…so happy I get to stay me. I-I do get to stay even if he wants my b-body later, r-right?”

“Yes.” Lilith said firmly. “He made his choice, he has to live with the consequences. We had to deal with the worry of potentially losing you once, we’re not doing that again.”

“What she said.” Eve agreed, stroking her daughter’s hair comfortingly. “I’m never gonna put you through something like this again. If he…I dunno, wakes up and starts demanding your body, let me know. I’ll do what I can to get rid of him, okay?”

“T-thanks, mama. I…love you a lot. You’ll…still be my mom when I’m all grown up and…remember and stuff…right?”

“You’re not getting rid of me that easily, kiddo.” Eve chuckled. “I’m gonna be your mom forever and ever, and there’s nothing you can do to stop me.”

“E-even if I don’t want you to be my mom?”

Eve paused, then shook her head. “Especially if you don’t want me to be your mom. As far as I’m concerned, that just means someone’s been messing with you, and it’s my job to save you.”

Aria giggled slightly, pushing her face even more into Eve’s chest. “Thanks, mama.”

Eve briefly considered aging herself up for the moment; she could see from Lilith’s perspective that it looked less like a mother comforting her daughter and more like…well, an older sister comforting a younger sister. But she decided that the appearance of the scene to outsiders meant nothing; Lilith and Kali were the only other ones there, after all.

So, she let it be, choosing instead to hold her daughter even tighter, hiding from her the tears of relief that were beginning to stream down Eve’s face.

Eve was vaguely aware of Lilith slipping away from the two of them and going to the door, which she opened to reveal Mai.

“Is…is Aria gonna be alright?” Mai whispered, giving Eve and Aria a concerned look. “I don’t really get why she would need to give up her body and stuff, but…she’s not, right? Please?”

Lilith shook her head. “No.” She said softly. “Aria’s staying here with us for as long as she wants to. It’s her life now, no one else’s.”

Mai beamed. “That’s awesome! I’m so glad she’s not leaving us, it was gonna get real lonely, not having a sister. Can I go talk with her?”

“Not now. Right now, she’s busy with your mama. I’ll come get you when she’s ready to talk, though, does that sound good?”

“Yes, mom!”

Eve’s attention was pulled back to her own body as Aria started to pat her back. “T-there, there, mama.” She stuttered. “I-it’s fine. I’m here now, you don’t have to worry anymore.”

Eve realized a moment too late that her own tears must have fallen onto Aria, alerting her to Eve’s true feelings. Normally Eve would prefer to bluster and hide her feelings, but…this was neither the time nor the place for that. “I…was so worried.” She admitted, reaching up with an arm and wiping her tears. “I was so afraid of losing you forever. I’m so, so happy that you’re staying with us.”

“M-me too, mama.”

They stayed like that for a few minutes more before Aria disengaged from the hug, both her shirt and Eve’s own wet with tears. “I…I’m going to get changed.” She said. “And then I need to tell Mai how it went. Is that alright?”

Eve smiled. “Perfectly fine, I think I need a change of clothes as well. You run along, I’ll call you when it’s time for dinner.”

Aria beamed. “Yes, mama!”

And with that she left, leaving Eve alone with Lilith and Kali.

“Told you it would go fine.” Kali said. “Feeling better, now?”

“It’s like a weight’s been lifted.” Eve confirmed. “I think I’m finally ready to really start putting my all into everything, now that that’s not looming over me.”

“Yeah, thanks a lot for helping us out with this.” Lilith said, walking over and giving their girlfriend a kiss.

“Well…” Kali said, a blush rising, “I…I’m hoping to be their stepmother or mother or…whatever you call it someday, so I figured why not just…start early, you know?”

Lilith grinned, pulling Kali close to her and kissing her forehead. “You’re adorable, you know that? If I wasn’t already dating you, I would have asked you out there and then.”

“W-where’s this coming from?!” Kali replied, taken aback by the sudden flirting. “I mean…thanks, but…you really caught me off guard there!”

“Good.” Lilith replied, bending down and scooping Kali into her arms in one swift motion. She paused only briefly to look into Kali’s eyes before pulling her in for a big kiss. “That was the point.”

“Y-you’re so rude sometimes!” Kali responded, a teasing smile on her face. “Seriously, what am I ever gonna do with you?”

“Love me forever?”

Kali giggled. “I suppose that can be arranged, but only if you promise to love me forever, too.”

“Deal.”

This chapter was both easy and weirdly difficult to write, and I can't really explain...why.

But, that aside, I find myself at a loss for anything to say, I feel the chapter speaks for itself. Next time we'll be getting back into Queen of Monsters stuff, though, so...look forward to that, I guess.

And, as always, thanks for reading!

73