Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 283. The Court IV
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 283. The Court IV

A sense of tension settled over the room like a heavy fog. One by one, the nobles found their voices, expressing their dissent with varying degrees of restraint.

“What do you mean by making Princess Rose the queen?” one noble queried, his voice edged with skepticism. His question echoed the sentiments of many in the room, who were struggling to comprehend Angel's reasoning behind such a decision.

Another noble chimed in, his tone laced with disdain. “Princess Rose is a political prisoner, and she should remain as such,” he asserted firmly. His words resonated with a faction of the nobles, who harbored deep-seated mistrust towards the Rose family due to their past transgressions.

A third noble spoke up, his voice tinged with indignation. “Princess Rose is not suitable to be queen, not after her family's crimes,” he declared adamantly. His sentiment was met with murmurs of agreement from those who shared his view, their disapproval evident in their solemn expressions.

Yet another noble added fuel to the fire, his words dripping with contempt. “Your Majesty, have you considered the families who lost loved ones due to the Heart family's poison?” he demanded, his eyes boring into Angel's with accusation. His words struck a chord with many present, evoking a sense of sympathy for the victims and their grieving families.

Angel remained silent, his expression unreadable as he absorbed their words. He listened intently, his eyes flickering from one noble to the next, taking in their expressions and body language.

Meanwhile, the duke noticed Angel's calm demeanor and realized that there was more to his silence than meets the eye. With a shrewd glint in his eye, he posed his questions to Angel, probing for answers and attempting to unravel the mystery behind Angel's sudden decision.

“I think all of us have said our objections, what do you think, Your Majesty?” the duke inquired, his tone laced with curiosity. He knew that Angel must have a strong reason for his actions, and he was eager to hear Angel's perspective.

“Did something happen there? Or are you going to make another woman your queen?” he pressed further, his questions probing into the heart of the matter. He was determined to uncover the truth behind Angel's intentions, and he wasn't about to let Angel off the hook without an explanation.

With Ilex's demise, the next in line was Princess Ophelia. According to the duke's analysis, if Angel were to marry her, it could have paved the way for Euphorion to seize control of Asteria without resorting to war once King Gervis passed away. The same situation would apply to Zephyrus if King Eudon were to meet his end. However, Angel's intentions ran deeper than just securing alliances through marriage.

Asteria boasted extensive territory, rivaling that of Euphorion, making it a valuable prize in the realm of geopolitics. The duke guessed Angel understood that a mere marriage between himself and Ophelia wouldn't suffice; it would need to be a strategic union, one that cemented Euphorion's dominance over Asteria.

While Angel and Ophelia shared a familial bond, their marriage would transcend personal relationships. In the realm of politics, physical intimacy was not a prerequisite for marriage. Angel could father heirs with another woman, ensuring the continuation of his lineage, while Ophelia's role would be to solidify the political alliance between Euphorion and Asteria.

"Yes, something happened there," Angel admitted in a calm tone, acknowledging the duke's keen perception. He couldn't deny the duke's astuteness, second only to the chancellor's. However, the duke's assumption about Angel's intentions regarding Ophelia was off the mark. "But maybe not what you think," Angel added, hinting at a different angle to the situation.

"I'm sure you've heard about Princess Rose's bravery in helping me put down the rebellion in the Zephyrus Kingdom," Angel began to explain, his voice carrying a note of admiration for Rose's courage and determination.

They were aware of Rose's involvement in the recent conflict but had not anticipated her being at the center of Angel's explanation.

"Indeed, Princess Rose's contributions were commendable," one of the nobles remarked, acknowledging her bravery in the face of adversity. "But that was her kingdom's territory. She should take responsibility for that," he interjected, his tone tinged with skepticism. "That problem has existed for a long time," he added, pointing out the longstanding issues in Zephyrus.

Angel listened attentively to the noble's concerns, his expression calm and composed. "Yes, but what she did for me in Asteria was more than enough to help me," he responded, acknowledging the noble's perspective while also emphasizing Rose's significant contributions.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

2