Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 284. The Court V
53 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 284. The Court V

“What did she do in Asteria, Your Majesty? Does this have anything to do with Prince Ilex's death?” the duke asked, his tone laced with curiosity and a hint of seriousness. His gaze bore into Angel, awaiting an explanation.

Angel anticipated the question, recognizing the opportunity to guide the conversation in a direction that suited his intentions. He let out a weary sigh, feeling the weight of the discussions and the complexities of the situation. “Another rebellion occurred in Asteria and disrupted the late prince's party. I guess that's why he was embarrassed and decided to commit suicide," Angel replied, his explanation succinct yet laden with implications.

The mention of a rebellion sparked further inquiry among the assembled nobles, their curiosity piqued by the connection to Prince Ilex's death. "A rebellion? Are you sure this has nothing to do with Reinheart’s family?" another noble chimed in, voicing a suspicion that lingered in the minds of many.

Angel met the noble's gaze with a steady look, his expression betraying none of the thoughts swirling in his mind. "Frost is investigating it. That's all I can say and I won't discuss this any further," he stated firmly, deflecting further interrogation on the matter.

This way, Angel was sure that the nobles would find out what happened on their own, especially from sources in Asteria. While Frost was weaving rumors about what happened in the castle, painting Angel and Rose as heroes. He spread the rumors in detail, embellishing the story of the power of Rose's poison and how Angel had ordered King Gervis to publicly punish Ilex. Frost also spun narratives to manipulate the residents of Asteria into feeling gratitude towards Angel, portraying him as a benevolent ruler.

Through these carefully crafted rumors, Frost aimed to sway the hearts of the people, slowly eroding the support for the Reinheart family and bolstering Angel's image as a savior. As more people in Asteria began to view Angel favorably, those who previously harbored animosity towards him would gradually change their minds. It was a strategic move to win the loyalty of the Asterians without resorting to force.

The chess game of politics was a complex one, and Angel played it with precision. His goal was not only to secure Asteria's loyalty but also to weaken the Reinheart family's grip on power. A royal family that had lost the support of its military and people, with some nobles already turning towards Angel, would be vulnerable to overthrow without the need for a bloody battle.

This was why Angel had chosen Ophelia as Ilex's replacement. Not only was she a suitable candidate in terms of lineage and political connections, but she was also someone Angel could manipulate if necessary. However, Angel was not blind to the potential dangers. If Ophelia or King Gervis posed a threat to his plans, he would not hesitate to eliminate them, whether through imprisonment, exile, or even death, depending on the severity of their actions.

In the grand scheme of things, Angel's actions were calculated and ruthless, driven by his ambition to expand his influence and secure his position as the ultimate ruler. As the chess pieces moved into place, it was clear that Angel was playing a dangerous game.

The problem was multifaceted, as Angel well knew. On one hand, the incident involving Prince Ilex's death was witnessed by many, making it difficult to conceal the truth. Yet, on the other hand, this very visibility could be manipulated to Angel's advantage. If the nobles heard firsthand how Angel's name was celebrated in Asteria, it might prompt them to rethink their stance.

Angel understood the precarious balance of power at play. If he were to openly admit what happened in Asteria, it would undoubtedly provoke the nobles to demand aggressive action against the Reinheart family. They would clamor for Angel to seize Asteria's territory by force, strip the Asterian nobles of their titles, and establish Euphorion's dominance. If they found out for themselves and heard how Angel's name was hailed there, Angel hoped that it would make them understand for themselves what Angel's real plan was.

However, Angel was playing a more subtle game—a game of perception and influence. He believed that actions spoke louder than words, and the impact he left on realms far and wide would ultimately define his strength as a ruler.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

2