Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 285. The Court VI
56 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 285. The Court VI

"The strength of a king lies not in his words, but in the impact he leaves on realms far and wide." That was what Angel wanted to achieve.

"But if we don't know what had happened, how can we agree that Princess Rose is the best as your companion?" the duke pressed, his brow furrowing with skepticism. He couldn't wrap his head around Angel's decision to keep the details shrouded in secrecy. This departure from Angel's usual transparency left the duke perplexed, prompting him to speculate about the king's hidden motives.

Angel understood the duke's concerns but remained steadfast in his resolve. "With her family's poison and her medical skills, what else is there to question?" he countered, his tone firm and unwavering. He believed that Rose's exceptional abilities spoke for themselves, transcending any need for further explanation. Moreover, he had witnessed firsthand her resilience and resourcefulness in challenging situations, her calm demeanor under pressure earning his respect and admiration.

The duke remained unconvinced, his expression betraying lingering doubt. "But how can we be certain that she is fit to be queen, especially given her family's tainted history?" he pressed further, his voice tinged with skepticism.

Angel paused, considering the duke's valid concerns. "Her family's past transgressions do not define her," he asserted, his tone resolute. "Rose has proven herself time and again through her actions and dedication to our kingdom. She possesses the qualities necessary to serve as a capable and compassionate queen."

"But fighting is not something a queen needs, Your Majesty," one noble objected, his voice carrying a note of dissent.

Angel listened attentively, understanding the noble's perspective but remaining resolute in his stance. "For me, it's essential," he countered firmly, his tone unwavering. He leaned forward slightly, his gaze locking with the noble's. "After the last war, the Kingdom of Euphorion expanded its territory, gaining control over several kingdoms. With power comes enemies, and I have many," he explained, his voice tinged with gravitas. "Assassination attempts, rebellions, and attacks from rival kingdoms are constant threats that I must consider. And in times of danger, the queen is often the first target," he continued, his tone somber.

The nobles exchanged uneasy glances, their expressions reflecting the gravity of Angel's words. They understood the inherent dangers of holding such a high position in the kingdom, particularly during times of conflict and instability.

"So I've decided that my queen must also be able to fight," Angel emphasized, his voice carrying a note of determination. "She must possess the strength and skill to defend herself and our kingdom, even in my absence. She must be able to protect her child even though I can't always be with her," he elaborated, his conviction shining through in every word. He knew that the safety and security of Euphorion rested not only on his shoulders but also on those of his chosen companion and future queen.

A heavy silence descended upon the room. The nobles exchanged meaningful glances, grappling with the weight of his argument. While they couldn't deny the validity of his concerns, they remained wary of his intentions, their skepticism rooted in the lingering shadows of past conflicts.

"But there are a lot of female warriors besides Rose," one of the nobles interjected, breaking the tense silence with a note of skepticism.

Angel listened attentively, acknowledging the noble's perspective before offering his rebuttal. "Yes, there are," he conceded, his voice measured and composed. "But her lineage is precious," he continued, his tone firm and resolute. "How many women possess immunity to poison? How many have the potential to pass down such a rare trait to future generations?" he posed, his words carrying a note of urgency.

The nobles nodded thoughtfully, acknowledging the logic behind Angel's reasoning. While they may have reservations about Rose's suitability as queen, they couldn't deny the inherent value of her unique lineage. In a kingdom plagued by uncertainty and unrest, having a queen with such exceptional traits could prove invaluable in safeguarding the future of Euphorion.

Moreover, Angel's argument was grounded in pragmatism rather than sentimentality, lending credence to his assertions. By framing his decision in terms of practicality and strategic advantage, he effectively disarmed their skepticism, appealing to their rationality rather than their emotions.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

2