Second Arc (His Art of War) – 108. Friction
729 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Second Arc (His Art of War) - 108. Friction

The day was getting late, Euphorion's troops were seen guarding every corner of Scarlet Stone Castle tightly as some of the carriages arrived in the Castle's courtyard, one by one the nobles and ministers descended from their carriage. In the castle entrance, they were examined by the guards to make sure no one carried a weapon before entering the castle. For the nobles who supported the Heart Family, nobody expected that Princess Rose and Prince Artheur's engagement would end like this, nor did they expect Euphorion to seize the capital in a day. But behind the bad news, they got good news this morning. They had heard how Angel treated Rose well and even lent her his blazer, which clearly showed his interest in the princess. At least it showed Angel's good intentions to Rose, despite her status as Euphorion's political prisoner.

Meanwhile, the nobles who were against the Heart Family also did not expect the rebellion that they had planned so well would fall apart like this. Also the bad news they received this morning about Angel and Rose. But of course, they didn't want to give up and planned to incite Angel to execute King Eudon and Rose.

Even though they had different thoughts, there was one thing in common in their minds. How could Angel be able to conquer Asteria, Draconis and Zephyrus this fast?

Besides that they also had the same worries, none of them had ever met King Angelus of Euphorion, let alone knew about his personality. So far, Angel had always left his kingdom diplomatic affairs to his diplomats and other high nobles. Besides, for the past 5 years, he had been too busy taking care of Euphorion's internal affairs. Meanwhile, Euphorion was not the Peace Alliance's member, so Angel did not have to travel outside his kingdom or be obliged to meet other kingdoms representatives. Coupled with his trustee four elemental spirits who served as his executors, he could manage his kingdom from within the castle easily.

So far, what they knew about Angel was based on rumours that he was a frightening king. But based on yesterday's news that said Angel had just executed a maid in front of the castle gate, they could only assume that the news was true.

They walked into the castle escorted by Euphorion's troops into the meeting room, their expression turned tense as their feet stepped through the corridor. There was one thing on their mind right now, if they said the wrong words, they would lose their heads.

From the opposite direction, Duke Bartlet and Ivetta walked over and joined them. Some of them frowned in confusion mixed with curiosity.
"Good afternoon, Duke Bartlet, Lady Ivetta. Did you just meet the king (King Eudon)?" asked one of the nobles curiously.

"No, we were just chatting with His Majesty, King Angelus," replied Duke Bartlet as his feet took a leisurely stride. He decided to use this opportunity to raise his reputation among the nobles.

"Why did you meet King Angelus? Did he summon you?" asked the other noble in confusion. Many of them were afraid of Angel because of his bad reputation, but Duke Bartlet and Lady Ivetta went to him without a second thought.

"No, Lady Ivetta and I asked to meet with him to discuss some things about Zephyrus." Although Duke Bartlet wanted to lie by saying it was Angel who summoned them to make it seem like they were close to him, he could not lie with so many Euphorion troops escorting them.

"What did he say?" asked another noble curiously.

"King Angelus is very busy, we were only able to talk to him for a short time. We only asked His Majesty to be kind to us and the king. After all, he has already got Princess Rose as his hostage. For others he will discuss it at the meeting, "said Duke Bartlet.

Hearing Duke Bartlet mention about the princess, the other nobles swept their gaze at the Euphorion troops around them before one of them approached him.

"Did you get the news about this morning's incident? About King Angelus and Princess Rose," said one of them in a low voice.

"We've heard it, that's why I came to accompany Duke Bartlet to meet King Angelus," said Ivetta with a forced smile. Actually, she was still angry about it because it was undeniable proof of her defeat.

"Then what did he say? Is that news true?" Even though their feet continued to move, their eyes were on Lady Ivetta and Duke Bartlet filled with curiosity.

Ivetta just wanted to deny it.
"King Angelus hasn't-"

But Duke Bartlet interrupted Ivetta.
"It's true." He knew Ivetta wanted to lie but her lie was too forced. They would notice it easily.

Although Ivetta smiled, her eyes glared at Duke Bartlet. She was not happy that Duke Bartlet interfered with her plans, let alone mention about Rose to other nobles.
"But we still don't know what King Angelus real intentions."

Duke Bartlet smirked, starting his challenge.
"I think we can see it from King Angelus' gesture."

"So that rumours are true?" asked another noble.

"Yes," Duke Bartlet replied.

"But we still have to wait for King Angelus' clarification," Ivetta added quickly.

After those words left her mouth, their steps stopped in front of the meeting room door. And two guards opened that door for them. 

12