Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 137. Exhaustion and Blood Smell VI
321 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 137. Exhaustion and Blood Smell VI
“I…I see…” Rose said in a stammering voice once she could get her voice out.
"You look shocked. I thought a lot of people already know about that,” he asked calmly.
“I thought it was just a lie. You know how the nobles like the slanted rumors about the royal family, right?” she replied.
He chuckled. He couldn't deny it was true. Nobles indeed liked to talk about a forbidden relationship like this.
"Ah, those aristocrats never take their eyes off the royal family as if we are their entertainment.” He could remember how the rumors kept revolving around him either when he was still Prince of Asteria or when he had become King of Euphorion.
"You know them well," said Rose in a teasing tone.
After a while, they stopped the joke. His chuckles faded and were replaced by a bitter smile.
"Anyhow... In an urgent case, I might have to make her the queen of Asteria," he said out of the blue.
Rose's gaze turned serious upon that statement.
“You mean if you have no choice but to kill King Gervis?” she clarified.
Angel nodded.
“Yes. That's why I hope he doesn't become my enemy…” Although that sounded like wishful thinking and impossible, at least he hoped King Gervis would do it for Asteria and Ophelia's sake. He knew what he was about to do to Ilex would create a new grudge, so he could only hope that King Gervis could hold his anger back.
"Do you have to do it? Is there no other way?" she made sure.
He didn't say a word. His eyes fell on the pieces of meat on his plate. But rather than cut it or stab it, he only tossed it slowly with his fork. His mind flew to how King Gervis had treated him before the crystal created a deep misunderstanding between them.
After a while, he finally let out his voice.
“I wish I didn't have to… But I don't see another way.” He was sure that was enough to explain his answer.
"But if you do it... The Asterian royal family's lineage will--" Before Rose could finish her words Angel interrupted her.
"There's one left, Rose."
That made Rose turn to him.
"The one that doesn't have a lineage is the Moonfall family, not Reinhart," he stated.
Rose immediately realized who he meant was him.
“Does that mean you will take Asteria's authority completely?”
"If I have no other choice, yes." His sadness and bitterness were evident in his tone of voice.
"I see..." she whispered quietly. As cruel as that sounded, Rose couldn't blame him either. She knew that a grudge like this would not end until one of them had been wiped out at the root. In other words, Angel had to kill his entire family if he wanted to live in peace. If not… they would look for an opportunity for revenge later.
"We should stop talking about it." He put the food in his mouth quickly. His drowsiness disappeared due to the conversation. So he decided to do a little paperwork in his bedroom to make him sleepy before he hit the bed. But if that didn't work, he planned to work in his chamber instead of his study room.
"Forgive me," she said in regret.
"It's fine. I understand your curiosity. Just change the topic if you still want to talk.”
And Rose immediately caught on a light talk that might be able to deflect his mind from all this.
"The nobles look excited about this year's independence day. Most of them have prepared their dresses and suits. They said this year's celebrations will be more pretentious than ever."
Normally Angel wasn't interested in this, but he decided to listen to it since he desperately needed something to deflect his guilt.
"Really?" He wasn't too excited about it but knowing little things about this once in a while wasn't bad either.
"Yes. I think this has something to do with your victory and---” Rose's words trailed off as she recalled how she overheard the noblewoman's plans to seduce him. Or how the nobles planned to approach the king in hopes that he would give them some authority in his colonies.
“Charm…” She finally decided to say something better to describe it all.
Indeed it sounded strange, but weren't those two things his charm?
Angel chuckled.
"That's the worst obvious lie I've ever heard."

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update
12