Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 187. The King’s Game of Chess IX
155 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 187. The King's Game of Chess IX
"Ange-" Before she finished her sentence, with a sudden movement, Angel released his grip on the rock and pulled Rose's body close to him. She could feel the warmth of his body against hers, a comfort amidst the fear that had taken hold. Angel's other hand reached down toward the floor of the cave, his pitch-dark aura filling the space and casting an eerie glow.
As Rose watched in wonder, the sharp rocks below them began to melt away, disappearing into the darkness beneath. It was as if Angel was commanding the very earth itself, bending it to his will. The power he possessed was nothing short of incredible, and Rose couldn't help but feel a sense of awe and wonder.
But as the last of the rocks melted away, Angel suddenly reversed their positions, shielding Rose from the impact of their fall. She closed her eyes tightly, bracing for the impact that was sure to come. The wind rushed past her face, the sound of their descent echoing through the cavern.
And then, with a sudden jolt, they hit the ground.
The impact of their fall was sudden and jarring. Angel's body hit the ground hard, creating a deafening crack that echoed through the cave. The force of the impact was so great that the walls of the cave shook, sending a cloud of dust and debris flying through the air.
Rose opened her eyes, coughing as she tried to clear the dust from her lungs. She was amazed to find that, despite the violence of their fall, she didn't feel any pain. It was as if Angel had shielded her from harm, taking the brunt of the impact himself.
But as she looked down at Angel's form, her heart leaped into her throat. His body was still and unmoving, and for a moment she thought that he might be dead. Panic took hold of her, and she scrambled towards him, her hands shaking as she reached for his face.
"Angel! Please say something... Please say something to me..." she cried out frantically, tears streaming down her face.
For a moment, there was no response. But then, to her immense relief, Angel's eyes slowly opened, his gaze meeting hers. Angel's voice was rough with the dust he had inhaled, but he managed to speak through his coughs. "Cheap trick like this– *Cough* -- won't kill me..." he said, a wry smile tugging at the corner of his mouth.
Not only used his dark aura to protect them from harm and melt the spikes with his power, but he also had ordered his spies to place the parchment magic formations in the cave. They helped him to accelerate his power. It was a daring plan, but it had worked. Angel had known that with limited power under the Magic Shield, he needed something to increase his dark power.
On the other hand, by allowing themselves to fall into the trap, Frost and his soldiers could put their focus on the fight above. So this cave was simply his waiting room.
Rose hugged Angel tightly, tears streaming down her face. "I thought you were going to leave me," she sobbed.
Angel hugged her back, feeling a pang of guilt. He had planned everything beforehand, but he couldn't explain the details to Rose. He wasn't sure she would agree, as the plan put him in danger time and time again.
"I told you I have a trick up my sleeve, remember?" he reminded her. "Besides, how could I leave you at a time like this?" said Angel while trying to sit up.
Rose held Angel's face with her hand. "I know you won't, but I also don't want you to sacrifice your life for me. I don't want your protection if it means taking your life."
Angel rubbed Rose's face gently. A smile on his face. "I am your husband, of course, I have to protect you,” he said in sincerity.
She shook her head from side to side in disagreement. "Next time... I'll protect you," Rose replied in determination. Her eyes looked at him gently.
Upon her statement, Angel smiled softly. "Believe me. You've done it…" he answered with a riddle before he got up.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

7