Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 190. The Cave III
194 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 190. The Cave III
Silently, Angel went back inside, his movements as silent as a wisp of smoke. His heart pounded in his chest as he approached Rose, who sat huddled in the shadow.
"Rose," he whispered, his voice barely audible above the sound of their pounding hearts. "The guards don't seem to know we're still alive."
Rose's eyes widened with hope, and a glimmer of relief shone in their depths. "Really?" she asked, her voice tremulous with excitement.
Angel nodded, but his expression was troubled. "However, the guards are not in my line of sight, and it would be difficult for us to ambush them."
Rose frowned, her brows knitting together as she considered their options. "If we attempt to fight them head-on, we may not make it out alive," she said, her voice low and serious. "But if we wait here, we may never be able to leave this place."
The oppressive silence of the cave seemed to weigh heavily on the two as they deliberated their next move. Rose and Angel sat huddled together in the gloom, their minds racing with the weight of the difficult decision that lay before them. They knew that their lives hung in the balance and that the choices they made at this moment could mean the difference between life and death.
The prospect of waiting in the cave until the guards found them was a good decision, in theory. But as they both considered the practicalities of their situation; it became clear that they would be facing a tough battle in the dark.
It was equally clear that attempting to make a break for it and escape from the cave was a risky proposition. They had no way of knowing how many rebels were outside, or what kind of weaponry they possessed. The thought of venturing out into the unknown, with so many unknown variables at play, was enough to make both Rose and Angel feel as if they were staring down the jaws of certain death.
This was why Angel had admitted to Rose that there were some things he couldn't control. It was an acknowledgment of the harsh realities of the battlefield and a recognition that anything could happen at any moment. Despite his bravado and power, he knew that there were limits to what he could achieve through it.
Angel looked up towards the ceiling of the cave, his eyes scanning the rough-hewn stone above them. For a long moment, he was lost in thought, his mind racing as he considered their options. The silence in the cave was palpable, broken only by the occasional sound of dripping water and the faint rustle of small animals in the shadows.
Suddenly, an idea occurred to him, and he turned to Rose with a determined look on his face. "We need to find another way out," he said, his voice low and urgent. "The rebels are above us, but if we can find a way up, it might give us the advantage we need to deal with them."
Rose's eyes widened with surprise, and she looked at him with a mix of admiration and apprehension. "Another way out?" she repeated, her voice tinged with uncertainty. "Do you think that's possible?"
Angel nodded, his expression serious. "It's our best chance," he said. "We need to be bold, and take risks if we want to survive this."
Rose nodded slowly, her mind racing as she considered the implications of his plan. "But where would we go?" she asked, her voice low and hesitant. "We don't know the layout of the area outside the cave."
Angel's expression softened, and he reached out to take her hand. "I know it's a risk," he said, his voice gentle. "But we have to try. We can't just sit here and wait for them to come to us."
Rose nodded, her expression determined. "You're right," she said.
They moved cautiously through the cave, their footsteps echoing softly off the walls.
As they explored deeper into the cave, they soon stumbled upon a narrow passageway that sloped sharply upwards. It was dark and cramped, barely wide enough for them to squeeze through side by side. But Angel was determined, and he urged Rose to follow him.
They ascended the passageway slowly, their eyes straining to see in the dim light. It was slow going, but eventually, they emerged onto a ledge overlooking a wide cavern.
The cavern was illuminated by flickering torches that cast eerie shadows on the walls. And there, in the center of the cavern, was a group of rebels, clustered around a makeshift campfire.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

6