Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 253. Rage II
158 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 253. Rage II
"You were the one who whipped him, not me," Angel began, his voice resolute. "And it was he who violated the agreement by attacking me. He was the one who crafted a plan to trap me and take my life." Each word was a carefully chosen brick in the wall of his argument, a foundation built upon undeniable facts.
The accusation lingered in the air, unspoken but undeniable. It was King Gervis's own hand that had punished Ilex, a decision made in the name of discipline and responsibility.
Angel continued, unwavering. "It was him who also collaborated with the rebels to ambush my convoy at the border."
Yet those words were met only with King Gervis's sharp gaze, a gaze that held pain, anger, and perhaps even guilt.
But Angel was not finished. He had a case to present, a defense that was as unyielding as the blade at his throat. "It was Ilex who violated the royal rules and agreement," he stated, each word landing with the weight of truth. "And he committed suicide because he was ashamed of his own fault."
The truth could be a bitter pill to swallow, and Angel's words were a potent reminder of all that Ilex had done. The prince had plotted and schemed, putting his own ambitions before the welfare of their kingdoms. He had violated their shared trust and pushed the fragile peace to the brink.
"Why do you blame me for his crime?" Angel's final question was a plea for understanding. He sought to remind King Gervis that the blame for Ilex's actions did not rest on his shoulders. The consequences of Ilex's choices had been tragic, but Angel had not held the reins that had guided his cousin's actions.
King Gervis, in the throes of his own grief and anger, had been left without a defense. The accusations against Ilex had been unveiled, the treachery of his own blood laid bare for all to see. And now, with Angel's measured response, the king was forced to shift his stance, grasping for any reason to place blame elsewhere.
"You could have killed him. You could have snuck into his room last night and ended his life," King Gervis spoke, his tone laced with the desperation of a man unwilling to concede.
Angel, however, was quick to catch the change in accusation. His eyes narrowed slightly, his skepticism evident. "So now you change your accusation," he retorted. It was a cunning move on King Gervis's part, an attempt to pivot the blame back to Angel.
The accusation hung in the air, as heavy as the swords they both wielded in their words. It was a battle of wits and wills, and Angel was determined not to cede ground. "If I wanted to kill him, I had a golden opportunity yesterday," he continued, his voice firm and unwavering. "He had shown his true colors, and his crimes were laid bare for all to see. He plotted to take my life and steal my wife. You witnessed it, as did everyone else." He gestured to the crowd that had gathered to witness the turmoil. "Why should I resort to secrecy when the evidence was enough to warrant a public execution? His actions alone could justify such a sentence."
The logic was sound, and Angel presented it with a quiet intensity. He sought not just to defend himself, but to illustrate the inconsistency in King Gervis's accusations. It was a game of words, a chess match played out in front of their subjects.
King Gervis, with anguish etched across his features, was relentless in his accusations. His voice grew louder, frustration evident in every word. "That doesn't address the fact that you had the means and opportunity to end his life!" he claimed, his finger pointing accusingly at Angel.
Angel's eyes bore the weight of the situation, and he met King Gervis's gaze head-on. It was a battle of wills, but this time, Rose interjected, her voice laced with a blend of concern and determination.
"King Gervis," Rose began, her voice steady but tinged with sorrow, "what has fueled this hatred for my husband, such that you place blame upon him for every action of Ilex?"
The question hung in the air, and the palace seemed to collectively hold its breath. The cause of this strife, the source of these accusations, was a vital question that demanded an answer.
King Gervis's response was immediate, his voice reflecting the depth of his emotions. "Because he is indeed the problem!" he declared, his finger still pointing in Angel's direction.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

4