Vol 1 – Chapter 6 – The Marketplace, The Princess, and Slave Trading
3.8k 10 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex here, I have finally begun to accept that this ‘dream’ is more than it seems.

I can feel a slight unrest beginning to rise inside my mind as I left the inn, to go out shopping; my destination is only a few minutes walk to the east of the inn.

Come to think of it, I never asked the name of the inn.

Well, the map says that it is called the ‘Monzen Inn’.

It seems that there are many, many food stalls lining the street outside the tailor’s shop, and immediately after entering the gauntlet, I smell something good; it smells like crepes being cooked on an iron plate, with some sort kind of sugary sauce poured over it.

Hmm, how can a food from Earth appear in a fantasy world?

I always loved sugar, so, even though I just had a meal, I bought a single crepe.

“Yep, that’s delicious and sugary” I almost drooled as I spoke.

I ignored the other stalls as I walked along, though I overheard a lot of people talking, haggling.

>>Skill: Eavesdropping Acquired.

Suddenly I noticed a strange, and fantasy fruit being sold. From what I overheard when another person bought one, it was called a Gabo and looked like a mixture between a fist-sized red pumpkin and an apple.

After walking for around five minutes, I finally arrived at my first goal.

I grabbed a large backpack-like bag from one of the stall, paying five coppers, I began to go stall to stall; I ended up buying the large bag, ten pairs of Common Underwear, a hand towel, a normal towel, and a handkerchief.

Also, even though I can’t sew, I bought: Two Meter Hemp Cord - 5 bundles, 1 roll of Cotton Thread, 5 Sewing Needles, Sewing Scissors, and Cotton Cloth. It may look like a lot, but since I have my infinite storage, there’s no problem even if a lot of them end up unused.

In all, I spent around 4 silver coins.

I don’t think I need to say this, but the first thing I bought, the back-pack like bag, is a dummy; I placed the things I bought into the bag, and then directly sent most of it into storage. Of course, I made sure to keep some in the bag, so it didn’t look flat. Which would give away the trick.

I wanted to buy some robes or cloaks, but only worn out-out or cheap-looking ones were available.

Now I need to test out what happens if I store hot or cold things in my storage, so I buy some and place them inside; I quickly buy a hot pie from a nearby stall and store it.

“Now then, I wonder what else I need to get?”

I noticed a few people sitting outside a bar and drinking alcohol.

“Oh yeah, tableware!” I laugh quietly after I realize that I almost missed something vital, I plan on traveling sometime, “Oh shit. Shoes. How could I forget shoes?!”

I need a reminder.

There’s a Memo function inside the Exchange tab, so let’s put it there.

It’s been a while since I saw the Exchange tab, I only noticed the Memo function because I took a very quick glance at it; when I looked closely, I realized why the Yamato Stone said that I was only Level 1.

The Exchange tab had a copy of my Skills, Attributes and Status that was visible from the main Menu tab--however, they were different in values, the same as what was displayed on the stone. The upper limit for each attribute was chosen from a drop-down box; even the Skills and Titles can be made to display ‘None’.

It seems that I could give whatever false information that I want to.

Since I am looking at the Menu, I have stopped walking and lean against a warm stone wall; after a few seconds, I close the Menu and continue my shopping. In a couple of minutes, I spot a stall and buy a suitable pair of shoes--if I needed more, I will just order it on the main street’s shoe store later.

I also bought cups, pots, and tableware that caught my attention. As well as a kitchen knife, pot, and frying pan; somehow there were no cutting boards. I also bought a metal bathtub, which was obviously much too large to place into my bag--so I quickly walked into a back alley and stored it. Since it would look unnatural if I went back to the East Avenue, I decided to go back into the Main Street.

***

The East Street is packed with stalls, causing the people who walk along it to squeeze into the center of the road--however, the Main Street is around 6 meters in width, with horse carriages and even human-powered carts going back and forth along it.

Just like the earlier street, this is very different from what I imagined of a fantasy world…the streets are incredibly clean. There are no dead animals, no bums in alleys, no disgusting refuse in the gutter.

The stalls are sparse here, unlike in the East Street, but in exchange, there are a lot of stalls instead--many people in good looking clothing walk along the street.

But the people who pull the carts generally wear a strange leather collar with strange symbols on it--when I check on my map, it shows that they’re slaves.

A carriage coming from downtown slows down, matching its speed to that of the walking pedestrians.

Soon, it passes in front of me--inside it are ten female slaves.

My eyes are attracted to one of them, a girl with long black hair and deep brown eyes, her face is incredibly pale and she seems to be Japanese…she looks so beautiful that she could be an actress--a perfect match for my preferred type. Since a great majority of the people look European, this is the first Asian looking face I have seen.

The girl’s eyes are downcast, but our eyes meet when she lifts her face--strangely, the girl sitting next to her, one who looks European and has light violet hair, looked very surprised when she saw me.

Hmm?

She is cute, looking around the same age as me--she is also staring intently at me.

When I look over at her, her information appears before me.

 

Name: Arisa

Level: 10

Age: 15

Title: ‘Witch of the Lost Kingdom’, ‘Mad Princess’

Skills: Unknown

 

While I am slightly distracted, the carriage disappears, turning into the West Street.

Frankly, those were some very interesting titles.

***

Let’s go back to my original purpose.

I quickly search the Map for the tailor, making sure I am going the right way, and found that they were on a nearby side street. Most of the stores had young women working as clerks. Which meant that they had a lot of customers, most of which seemed to be young men; so I decided to go into the shop which seemed to be run by a kindhearted looking middle-aged couple.

“Pardon me, do you have a robe, one of a calm colour--one which a traveler would wear?” I asked the old man.

“Welcome, yes we do. Please, come over here and we will bring over some sample cloths. There were ready made goods on the rack over there, but they sold out recently.” The husband guided me to a lounge and began to take samples of cloth from a shelf.

As though in harmony with her husband, the wife brought out some tea, which was in an elegant looking cup.

“It will be getting cold soon, so how about this thick fabric? If you’re planning on going on a journey, then we can prepare a matching waterproof cloak, how about it, sir?”

These are excellent goods.

If I buy a few pairs, it will take five days to finish, and three if I only buy one. The cost is quite a sum, at five gold--but it is money spent on necessary things.

However, I want one new robe before the day is over, if possible.

“Since this shop is only for tailoring, do you know any shops selling ready made goods? As you can see, the robe I’m currently wearing is battered from the journey--I want to buy temporary clothes before the tailoring is done.”

“Well, for ready clothes, I recommend Poel Clothing, on Teputa Street. It is clothing made by my son, so I can guarantee the quality of his skill. His shop is famous among most of the commoners, so it will do well for temporary clothing.”

Promoting his son’s shop, eh?

What a good dad.

I politely refuse when he offers to draw a map, since it is enough with simply the name of the shop and street. I almost forgot to pay the deposit on the clothing I ordered, and had to be reminded by the tailor’s wife.

When I arrived at the Poel Shop, I bought two robes, one which is a calming dark brown colour, and the other is a gaudy red with yellow stripes.

As I expected, when I got to the shop. The clerk was a beautiful woman--and as expected, I had my vision drawn to her rather impressive cleavage.

When I came back from the journey and arrived at Martha’s Inn, after completing my shopping, the sun was beginning to dip below the horizon.

60