Chapter 1205
478 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You can do that?” I asked. “You can really help?”

Pait nodded. “It’s lucky that you ran into us today. We were just on our way to the traveling guild when I saw you. We’re heading back to Esmore today.”

“You’re leaving the Capital?”

“Hey, even diplomatic ambassadors need some time to themselves!” Pait growled. “You should be lucky I’m willing to take you with me and use an invite to get into Dioshin.”

“You’d really do all of that for me?” I asked.

“Don’t act so surprised. It isn’t like it won’t have some advantages for us. I do keep informed. I’m well aware of what happened to the Ost Republic. Their Osterian support collapsed after their king died. Aberis and the Ost Republic are in the middle of a peace treaty now. This is only going to cause Aberis to grow much stronger, never mind whatever you’re doing in the west. Esmore has always been a neutral country, but if Aberis grows stronger and you start settling the wilderness, this is going to create tensions with Dioshin.”

“I suppose that’s true…”

“So, you can just call this a preemptive intervention. I have a feeling that if you can get into the country, you might be able to smooth things out with Dioshin so that Aberis doesn’t enter any future battles with them. At the very least, your city that is made up of beastkin will let them see humans as less of a threat.”

Spoken like a true diplomat, Pait was helping me but also helping himself and his country. I tended to not focus on the political stuff that much when I made my decision making, but I guessed that there were long-term ramifications for everything that was happening. I could only hope that my advisors, Elaya, the mayor, and such did consider these things. However, it’d be a good idea if I was more mindful of that in the future.

“I understand. Then, I will take you up on the offer.”

He looked up at me and then winced. “Also, there is a second reason that I’m doing this. You’d be helping the Esmore out by entering the country.”

“There is more?”

“Aggghh… I shouldn’t be telling you this, but since I’m already recruiting you I’ll just speak the truth.” He rubbed his hand through his hair sloppily. “Lately, Dioshin has been acting suspiciously. We think that they are up to something. They’ve been turning away convoys, merchants, and travelers. News has become extremely scarce. We have a traveling guild that connects to one of theirs, and that has been shut down until further notice.”

“If they aren’t letting people in…”

“Well, they’ll let a diplomat in. I did a favor for the beast king and he gave me an open invite. Refusing me would be the same as saying the beast king’s word accounts for nothing. This is why I was recalled. My government wants me to enter the country and investigate. I need to determine if whatever is going on is a threat to Esmore. That invite can include two servants. One of them will be Dav, the other can be you.”

“What about Celeste? She is a fairy, so…”

“She counts!” He coughed. “I mean… you’re the only one I can take. I’m already stretching things by bringing you, so please don’t push me into a difficult situation.”

I nodded. If she masqueraded as a house fairy, they might not treat her as a whole person, but that was being deceptive. Pait was doing enough by giving me a means of getting in. I needed to take the opportunity.

 

Announcement
13