Chapter 1232
384 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“With all due respect, what exactly do you want a representative from Esmore to do with this information,” Pait asked, putting his hands behind his back. “Even if we wished to help, I lack the resources to do anything of use to you. Furthermore, I don’t make it a habit of risking my life needlessly.”

Lord Duran didn’t look taken aback by this comment. Rather, he seemed to have expected it. He nodded his head slowly.

“There is a reason that I’ve brought you here and told you about this.”  He spoke slowly and deliberately. “What I’m about to ask you would upset many, so I hope you are willing to keep this request sealed.”

At this point, he didn’t just look at Pait, but all of us standing there. I was surprised he didn’t send everyone else out of the room. If there was a reason for this, I couldn’t see it. The adventurers and the dwarf gave their nods. I followed suit. Only once everyone agreed did the wolfkin lord continue.

“I need you to contact Aberis.”

This caused Pait to raise an eyebrow. “Dioshin is not on good terms with Aberis.”

“I know.” He frowned. “King Roth has declared a no-contact clause with anyone from Aberis. The guilds still meet behind our backs. The slavers are always trading, and the adventurers are always exchanging valuable information. Ever since a certain lord has taken an interest in the wilderness, tensions on the border have been increasing. If it wasn’t for this ill-timed rebellion, that would have been our focus.”

It was only thanks to mimic that I was able to keep my cool with that declaration. I hadn’t expected my actions to be worth notice, let alone be the focus of a powerful king. I was extremely lucky then that Dioshin was having problems. If they had made a move, I would have been in a lot of trouble.

“I suppose I should ask, why do you wish to contact Aberis?”

“It’s not so much Aberis that I care about. It’s their church. Aberis’s priests are adept at dealing with ghosts and other soul-based creatures.”

“Doesn’t Dioshin have their own church?”

“It’s true, we have our own division of the church, but they don’t specialize in such things,” he admitted.

It wasn’t that surprising, given their attitude toward foxkin. They detested anything having to do with spirits and souls. Priests had a closer relationship with spirits than most. In that case, did they even have such a thing as a resurrection? I didn’t know, and unfortunately, I had to keep my mouth shut or risk exposing my identity.

“I’m familiar with Aberis’s nobility.” Pait scratched his chin while distinctly not looking in my direction. “However, I also know that they recently had a conflict with the Ost Republic, and the majority of them are currently dealing with that situation.”

Lord Duran lowered his head. “I understand. It was just a hope of mine.”

There was a moment of solemn silence as Pait looked awkwardly, and Lord Duran lowered his head.

I tilted my head from side to side and then let out a sigh, taking a step forward. “If you need someone to look into this, I have the qualifications.”

Pait shot a shocked glance, and Lord Duran shot me a slightly confused look.

“And who are you?” he asked.

I dropped the disguise, returning my features to normal. “I am Lord Deek Deekson of Aberis.”

 

Announcement
12