26. Suspicions at the Su Manor
1.6k 6 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mo Yixuan’s lips thinned as he insisted, “We received an appeal with the Su Clan Head’s identifying seal at Star Pavilion Sect.”

Su Shiyu remained impassive as he took another sip of tea. “Daoist Mo must be mistaken, for I haven’t sent any requests for help. I am truly sorry you came all this way over a misunderstanding.”

Mo Yixuan fell silent. Ouyang Che was a joker, but even he wouldn’t go so far to pull such an elaborate prank.

“If it pleases Sir Daoist, I have some fine specimens of jade that may serve the interests of your sect. Perhaps we can review the selection after tea.” Su Shiyu was quite polite, but his offer didn’t move Mo Yixuan. Instead, the peak lord retrieved the letter of appeal and tossed it in the air, where it floated leisurely to Su Shiyu’s table.

“I will have to ask Sir Su to take a closer look. If it is a case of fraud, then that too bears investigating,” Mo Yixuan’s voice was flat.

Su Shiyu accepted the paper graciously, unfolded it, and examined the contents written inside. After a while he said, “This is indeed the seal of my Su Clan. However, the ink used is darker than my usual missives to the Middle Realm and the handwriting is different as well.”

“Then someone else stole your identity to write this letter?” Mo Yixuan was incredulous.

“Indeed. All in a bid to lure esteemed Daoists such as yourself down for an unnecessary intervention,” Su Shiyu said. “The so-called ‘demonic presence’ mentioned in this message is simply an old spirit that’s been haunting our clan for years; it’s nothing we can’t handle on our own.”

Mo Yixuan didn’t know what to feel surprised about first: the fact that Su Shiyu seemed unconcerned about his identity theft or that the Su Clan was actively harboring a ghost on its grounds. Wasn’t this supposed to be a straightforward case of Catch the Bad and Kill It Quickly?

Shizun, is it really all right for a haunted merchant to be selling jades to cultivation sects?” Nan Wuyue piped up in a timely fashion. He hadn’t gone anywhere near this mission in his last life, so there was no foreknowledge to help him now.

“Young daoist, our years of business speaks for our quality,” Su Shiyu replied calmly. “There have been no issues with the jades we’ve sent to the Middle Realms, nor would such low-level spirits be able to affect you cultivators there.”

Mo Yixuan only found it strange that the Su Clan would allow this spirit to stick around in the first place, but he quickly found another point to raise. “Yet we heard that the influence of this spirit seems especially severe this year. Even the jade deposits were corrupted by its presence?”

Su Shiyu remained unruffled. “Blatant exaggeration. A few shipments of raw jade were found to have been damaged due to carelessness on the part of our newer workers. Daoist Mo and your disciple can naturally confirm the quality of our wares in person if you still have doubts.” 

So he’s claiming that those reports are just hearsay, Mo Yixuan mused. 

Nan Wuyue next asked, “Sir Su, what is the story behind this spirit? Isn’t it unusual for the manor to permit its haunting?” Common sense dictated that the presence of ghosts were not only unlucky, but potentially sinister due to their attraction of death.

“It’s harmless,” Su Shiyu waved him off. “We’ve consulted experts on the matter and determined it’s only a restless spirit without a home. We’ve tried to send it off a few times, but it hasn’t budged and even helps us track down rare bands of jade within our quarries.”

“What a generous ghost,” Mo Yixuan murmured. Nan Wuyue was less forgiving.

“Then that’s worse. No ghosts lingers in the living realm for long without a motive. Shizun, I advise we move to exorcise it right away. If Sir Su refuses, I am afraid that we will still have to fulfill our duties for the sake of maintaining peace in this realm.”

“These are our Su Clan’s personal affairs. May this young Daoist and your master refrain from getting involved!” Su Shiyu’s tone was firm.

Nan Wuyue was about to argue, but Mo Yixuan suddenly rested a hand on his arm. He looked up in surprise—besides this and the incident with the hairstick, his master had refrained from any skin contact with him. Even their occasional spars had Nan Wuyue wielding a sword while Mo Yixuan fought him off with a branch, preventing the two from touching unncessarily.

Mo Yixuan’s expression was as emotionless as usual, but there was a faint flame flickering in his eyes. Nan Wuyue found himself staring at that tiny spark of emotion before his master rose from his seat and stepped forward.

He knew little of ancient customs or cultivation, but working in a company had taught him the basics of customer care. A company could protect itself from legal action with all sorts of measures, but there was ultimately a level of trust between it and its clients. Laws only covered the most basic principles of right and wrong; it was easy enough to manipulate them for selfish means, as Shangguan Yin had done against him in the courtroom and beyond.

He brushed aside that unhappy memory to meet Su Shiyu’s gaze.

“It’s long since stopped being personal,” Mo Yixuan said, “You sell your jade to people from all walks of life. Perhaps the spirit’s presence doesn’t affect cultivators, but can you guarantee the same degree of safety for your normal human clients? This is a matter of business ethics.”

Su Shiyu leveled a look at him. “I have taken such considerations to heart before, Daoist Mo. Each piece of jade is supplemented with prayers and purification at the local temples before shipment. Naturally, we listen to feedback from our buyers as well in case of complaints. You must understand that extraordinary circumstances call for unique methods, but rest assured that the Su Clan has always been considerate of all its customers and does not shy from this extra expense.”

“All this fuss over one little spirit?” Mo Yixuan was still finding it hard to believe.

“It has brought our Su Clan great fortune, so it is only in our interests to protect it,” Su Shiyu continued before narrowing his eyes. “Is it not the same for your cultivation sects? You hold artifacts that trap slivers of souls, or even demonic weapons with malicious spirits—”

“Each realm has its own concerns,” Mo Yixuan cut him off sharply. “Cultivators are equipped to handle such risks, but you are only human. Please allow us to investigate the concerns outlined in that letter.”

“I never wrote this,” Su Shiyu shook the piece of paper in his hands.

“Then I advise Sir Su to track down the culprit who did so you may prove it with all certainty. Until then, we will not turn our backs on a plausible threat to the Lower Realms.”

“Are the words of the Su Clan Head worth nothing in your cultivators’ eyes?” Su Shiyu demanded.

“Is your conscience not enough to clear your name?” Mo Yixuan shot back. “If there’s nothing wrong, we won’t find anything either. Sir Su, I suggest you take care of your own affairs before trying to disrupt our duties.”

“Does Star Pavilion Sect plan to give no face to my Su Clan?” Su Shiyu exclaimed. “You present to me a false missive and insist on investigating my household despite my protests. Are we Lower Realm denizens to be ignored and disregarded simply because we have no way to stop your advances?! You are going too far!”

“You are confusing private concerns with public interest,” Mo Yixuan narrowed his eyes.

“If Daoist Mo and your disciple insist on the investigation, then I have no power to stop you,” Su Shiyu replied icily. “I only ask that you spare at least a shred of dignity for my name by removing yourselves from this hall!”

In the end, Mo Yixuan and Nan Wuyue were kicked out of the manor. As they stood by its gates, Nan Wuyue gave his master a long look. The old Mo Yixuan had his share of arguments before, but his lines were always interspersed with well-placed flattery and soothing words. This Mo Yixuan...was simply blunt.

Shizun, we were supposed to improve relations with the Su Clan…” Nan Wuyue reminded him helplessly.

“Mm, we’ll have to see if it’s worth the effort,” Mo Yixuan said simply before striding off. Nan Wuyue glanced at the tightly shut gates of the Su Manor before running to catch up with him.

“Where are we going, shizun?”

“To get a drink.”

“Eh?”

“I’m thirsty from all that talking.”

Nan Wuyue’s brain rushed to catch up. “Shizun...isn’t angry?”

“It won’t change anything if I was,” Mo Yixuan pointed out. “Are you?”

Nan Wuyue averted his eyes. These human matters didn’t interest him one bit. He only asked because he wanted to understand the kind of man Mo Yixuan was and the ways he thought. Since that day in the ice prisons, he’d been harboring a curiosity for the new master who took him under his wing. In his experience, anyone who experienced a threat against his life would resent his attacker. If it was Nan Wuyue himself, he’d nurture the grudge until he was strong enough to bite back. Yet in the end Mo Yixuan had not only agreed to his request, but was actively helping him to get stronger. He even consented to take this mission in the Lower Realms, something far beneath his rank, to aid in his cultivation progress.

It was the lack of hostility that confounded him. From the very first time they met as “Mo Yixuan” and Nan Wuyue, this man had never bore him ill will. There was once even a hint of care...though it had all died out to a clinical indifference now. They were currently neither friends nor enemies, but too formal to truly constitute a master and disciple pair. If he had to put a name to it, they were simply two strangers working together towards similar goals. 

Knowing so little about the other party made him uneasy, especially when his senses told him against all reason that Mo Yixuan was trustworthy to an extent. He wouldn’t expect the man to go out of his way to block knives for him, but he knew this master wouldn’t try stabbing him to death in his sleep. In this case, Mo Yixuan’s usual expressionless face was a blessing—his old incarnation had favored fake smiles and affected kindness far too much.

Out loud Nan Wuyue said, “No, he isn’t worth it.”

“Mm, it’s good that you aren’t holding any grudges.”

Shizun doesn’t want me to nurse a grudge against that man?” Nan Wuyue asked quickly.

“You’re still young,” Mo Yixuan replied, “It’s normal for your emotions to run high, but you’ve already seen how it clouds your judgment. If you get affected by every little slight, you might as well go cultivate in the demon realm.”

“I’ve already told shizun that I have no interest in a demonic cultivation way!” said the boy who looked fifteen, was actually 25, and presently speaking with the mental age of a toddler throwing a temper tantrum.

“You’re easily triggered too,” Mo Yixuan observed, leaving Nan Wuyue sputtering for words. “Come, let’s share a pot of tea to cool that head of yours.”

The mid-July heat was intense in the Lower Realms, especially in southern part of the continent. Mo Yixuan’s trek had led them to a teashop in the wilds frequented by the local jade miners. It was simple and crude: a grouping of tables beneath the shade of trees bordering a river where water could be fetched and boiled. Mo Yixuan found a table for them both and ordered some chrysanthemum tea. Mixed with rock sugar and goji berries, it was the perfect complement to the warm weather.

Of course, their motives here were twofold. If the ghost at the Su Manor was really causing trouble, there would inevitably be rumors. Here was a prime spot to listen for gossip. As Mo Yixuan downed his second cup of tea, an interesting string of  finally reached his ears.

“I hear Old Madam Su isn’t doing so well these days.” The speaker was a well-built young man, obviously a worker from the mines, with clear brown eyes and a wide forehead. “They’ve sent two servants to the pharmacy in the past three days, each time carrying back bundles of prescriptions.”

“Eh? Why does that sound familiar…” his companion, who had a pair of impressively bushy eyebrows, trailed off before coming to a realization. “That’s right, wasn’t she ailing around this time last year too?”

“That’s what you young’uns don’t know.” The third man at their table, middle-aged and with a swarthy beard, shook his head while downing a shot of wine. “It’s the same old sickness that’s plagued her for the last 20 or so years. Ever since she’s had her child, she hasn’t been well.”

“Twenty years?” the first man sputtered. “Old Song, are you drunk again? There’s no way the Su Clan Head looks a day under 30.”

“Did I say he was her child?” the swarthy man shot back. “She’s only the second wife of the former clan head, who took over the spot after the first wife died. Sir Su is her stepson.”

“Then, the current Old Madam’s child…”

“Gone.”

“Dead?!” This time it was Bushy Brows who blurted out the words.

“When did I ever say that?!” the third man lost his temper again. “No, the child was taken away by a cultivation sect at a very young age. Eight? Nine? It was before my time, at any rate.”

“A lucky child despite an unfortunate mother…”

“You don’t say! The brat’s filial enough, sending gifts back every holiday and to the family besides. Not only that,” the man lowered his voice, but it was easy enough for Mo Yixuan to hear his whispered words, “I heard she’s especially favored by Lady Bai, Sir Su’s wife. She’s always talking about her, don’t you know—even more than her own son!”

“How do you know this?” his two listeners regarded him with doubt.

Abruptly, the swarthy man cleared his throat before his gaze turned sly. “I have an agreement with a certain lady in the household.”

Bushy Brows slapped the table in delight. “You old dog! You’ve charmed one of the servants again?!”

“Shush!” the man named Old Song hissed sharply, glancing nervously around the teashop. “Don’t you go spreading it around. I ‘aven’t even proposed to her yet.”

“Oh? So it’s serious this time?”

“I’m always serious!”

The conversation devolved into teasing and jests for a while before it finally went back to the topic at hand. 

“So Old Madam Su had a daughter,” Bushy Brows said thoughtfully. “If she’s a disciple of a cultivation sect, she must be a peerless beauty…”

Old Song only looked at him in disdain. “Even toads aim only as high as swans, but here you are hungerin’ after the moon in the sky.”

“W-who said I’m hungering after anything?!” Bushy Brows sputtered uselessly.

“Forget it. Even if she comes back, Lady Bai will have your skin for even entertainin’ the thought, to say nothin’ of Sir Su.”

“Old Song, you’re one to talk when you’re gettin’ ready for courting a wife!”

“Aish, it’s not like men like us would even have a chance with the likes of her,” the first man said dolefully. “You might as well feed us single dogs some scraps to keep on living. What about her name? What’s she like?”

“Or you can tell us about our future sister-in-law,” Bushy Brows suggested brightly.

Old Song looked at them both in disgust. “Don’t you be aiming after my wifey! She hasn’t decided on me yet.” With a harrumph, he relented and said, “All I’ve heard is this: Lady Bai likes to call the Old Madam’s daughter by her nickname, Mengmeng…”

Mengmeng (萌萌). Adorable. Cutie patootie.

Mo Yixuan’s lip twitched at the overly sweet moniker coming from Old Song’s lips before he blocked out the rest of the simpering conversation. 

“I didn’t expect the Su Clan to have a cultivator in the family,” Nan Wuyue said after awhile. He too, had been listening in to the trio’s animated chat. “Shizun, do you think the writer sent their letter to her sect too?”

“We’ll have to wait and see,” Mo Yixuan said as finished the last of his tea. He was about to call for the waiter when the sound of a carriage interrupted him. It was rare to find such things in the countryside, so the noise elicited a reaction from the entire teashop.

Old Song was the first to speak. “Eh, isn’t that carriage from the Su Clan?”

As he spoke, the horses pulling the carriage slowed to a stop before the teashop.

{extra}

Ruyi: So I have another name for Nan Wuyue’s story.
Mo Yixuan: Yes?
Ruyi: It’s called One Useless Rebirth.
Nan Wuyue: …….
Mo Yixuan: (Clueless. Doesn’t read danmei. Still kind of gets the joke.) Hah.
Ruyi: Unfortunately, it’s already taken and Mo Yixuan’s the MC here so forget about that.
Nan Wuyue: Was my rebirth really that useless…?
Ruyi: It’s fine, you weren’t instructed properly as a child. That’s why you still act like an impulsive teenager with no filter.
Nan Wuyue: ……..
Ruyi: But you have to work harder in the future! Your rival is a very experienced man of the world!
Nan Wuyue: What do you mean, “experienced”? You can’t mean—
Ruyi: And that’s all the time we have for this chapter’s extra, thank you readers! *flees*
Nan Wuyue: Stop right th—
Mo Yixuan, blocking his way: All right, all right, what did we just talk about this chapter?

42