The Mainland War – Chapter 5
1.7k 24 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few hours after the last chapter...

Succubus Homeland, A tent city

 

Anytime you have massive gender discrepancies historically, it has lead to unique cultures springing up in the world. After World War II, America had more women in the workforce than men, they had also lost a large population of men from the war. This is what lead to the gender revolution in America in the early 1950s. It didn't make sense for women to have a minority of the rights when they ran a majority of the society at the time.

 

A lot of historians believed that the Amazonian tribes of women were caused by epidemics that wiped out the men. This lead to the belief that women were superior to men, they were the survivors, how could they be the weaker gender? This lead to them looking at men with complete disdain.

 

Rex was now surrounded by the opposite problem, it was a situation he had never expected.

 

Looking around the large colorful tent he found himself in, the only word he could use was elegant. Every one of the men around him at the various tables was very well dressed, they came in all kinds of different shapes and species. Polyester, in particular, seemed popular among all of the gathered men. Rex could only assume it was how well the polymer fabric could take on color and just shine.

 

Some plastics can be spun into a fabric, it looks just like making cotton candy using plastic. It was the same type of plastic used to make water bottles, it is often considered the best way to recycle the material. China once had one of the largest polyester factories in the world. This special fabric was also a succubus special after Rex had introduced it.

 

The tent that Rex was in, felt like something right out of a circus. The tent was bright white, with hanging lights attached to the thin metal frame. Clear plastic sheets were attached to the walls of the tent to serve as windows. The ground was covered with a thick plastic lining, then covered by a thick white carpet. It was all a single large piece that had been carefully stitched together by hand.

 

The entire tent had a very clean and elegant look to it, but it was very plain. It was clear what Simbad wanted the focus of the diner to be on. Simbad wanted the eater to spend most of their time observing the other men, Rex refused to fall for his ploy.

 

Rex sat at a table with his giant white fuzzy protector at his side, in front of him the table was a lion with a proud expression on his face. A small teacup was held in his hand carefully, and he would occasionally take a sip. At his side was an elf with white flowing hair, he was also drinking his tea with a large smile plastered across his face. The light blue make-up only made his male features more striking. The corset and skirt certainly didn't help, with his well-muscled frame making them bulge in ways it wasn't meant to.

 

The worst part was the looks Charlice would occasionally direct at Rex, He would give him a toothy grin and wink. It was enough to exercise Rex's gag reflex, he didn't even mean to. The elf was just so strangely dressed, with such a bizarre sense of beauty. From the moment Rex had entered the tent he felt the sensation of an inverse erection, almost like it was hiding inside his body.

 

It is probably trying to plug my ass from the inside.

 

Rex had seen groups like this in the modern world, but this was his first time seeing them so close. Rex was planning to hold a meeting in a month, to write a constitution for the island. This was the only way to unify the various factions. The various personalities were all just too different from one another.

 

This was all Rex wanted in the end, it was what he was pushing for currently. He just needed to convince these two that it was a good idea.

 

For the weak to have a place, then every life must be valued. For those brilliant few to develop, then every person must be given equal opportunities. This is only truly possible in a democracy, a government ran entirely by its people. The only place he would be safe in this world was behind the doors of an inclusive democracy.

 

If he only stayed with the succubi and with Kira, he would certainly be a King in theory, but he wouldn't be safe. Being on a mountain surround by beautiful women may seem like any man's paradise, but it wouldn't last. The moment the elves or beastmen decided to seriously attack them, they could only run away. This would completely cut the succubi off from their source of food. They would go right back to what they used to be, they would just be another annoying parasite.

 

“Here, your tea!” A male voice said as it placed a cap on the table.

 

Looking up he saw a well-dressed man with a long neck and a goose head. At first, Rex had the thought of a walking giraffe, but this man had well-defined muscles under his feathers. He was wearing black polyester pants in a similar style to Simbad, he also had a white frilled shirt. Looking around he saw plenty of elves and beastmen in similar styles, all of the clothes were very shiny.

 

They were all as clean as the dwarves had been, he could also smell a scented soap he hadn't at the dwarven undercity. Rex decided to firmly ignore all of the equally buff men wearing dresses and make-up.

 

It is more like tribal paint! They look like something out of an 80's rock band!

 

They were using it to cover up the scars on their bodies from fighting, they also painted up their faces with it.

 

Rex wasn't even sure what they were using as a foundation for their make-up. This was something he hadn't seen on any of the succubi. They could just use their transformation to alter their appearance to what they wanted. Rubbing his face to clear out his thoughts, he returned them to the conversation.

 

“I am sincerely worried you will forget about us once you begin moving your operations outside this island. We need you to continue bringing us, men! Our message can cross over genders and even races!” Simbad said as he pounded his knuckles on the table with a serious expression on his face. “We can not rely on each other to produce the next generation! Our message is so powerful that it can woo any man into our Pride of Men!”

 

The elf with long hair smiled from ear to ear, a fanatical look appearing in his light blue eyes. He began nodding excitedly with the graying lion.

 

“Simbad-che is right, our beauty simply cannot be contained! We must continue to spread our culture to all men who come to this island. We are very worried you will forget about the majority of the residents here!” Charlice said adding on to what Simbad was pushing for.

 

Rex sighed deeply, as this was the crux of the argument. Rex direly needed to fix the gender ratio on this island, but these people wanted to keep it the same. 40 men to every woman, and leave they needed to stay on top of the mountain...

 

The problem was that Rex could never allow this to happen, otherwise, his population would be completely broken. Just like the slaves, they were here due to his mistake. Rex refused to be tyrannical to them because of his failures.

 

“In a month, Guffrey of the dwarves, and Kira representing the succubi will be holding a meeting. Why don't you join us and become a part of our new country officially?” Rex offered again.

 

“You keep saying this, and we will certainly attend, but you need to make us some promises first.” Charlice began but was cut off by Simbad.

 

“One more time, what was this idea you were talking about?” Simbad said with a much more serious tone.

 

“A democracy is where the people are their leaders, every single member would be required to vote. The purpose of this is representation, you join people who will share and fight for your views.” Rex began but was stopped.

 

“And how do you decide representation? If we did it completely based on population, then what? Do we all live like the succubi?” Charlice cut Rex off with a look of scorn.

 

“For situations like that, I plan to implement a racial council to oversee the laws and ensure that a minimum level of fairness is maintained to all of the races.” Rex said this next part with complete honesty. “I am weak, I don't want to be overlooked. As someone who will always be in the minority, I understand representation better than you would expect.”

 

Rex reached forward and took the cup of tea, giving it a sniff. It was something floral that they had recently discovered on the island. One of the islanders had tried making it into a tea, and it was quite good. This was Rex's impression after giving it a sip. It reminded him of raspberry tea, completely different from the stuff that the elves grew.

 

“My goal would be to create a government system, where the people are encouraged to participate. Every month every citizen must participate, they can call for trials and present laws. Judges must be people who have passed a test and have a thorough understanding of the law. The jurors will be selected by random lot from the people who attend, so will the people who set the agenda.” Rex set the cup down on the table. “Instead of a privilege, I plan to make this the duty of everyone.”

 

An image rose in his head of a country surrounded by the sea, they were filled with philosophers wearing a toga. These people had suffered under aristocrats for hundreds of years and shattered that yoke with their own hands. Rex was going to fix what he always thought was the biggest issue with democracy, access.

 

They can just treat it like jury duty, they can all go suffer together. A lot of people might think ruling by the masses is foolish, but this was the only thing that could work with so many different races.

 

“So the people leading the army you want to build will be decided by random lots?!” Charlice said laughing loudly at this concept.

 

“No, for skilled positions I do not plan to have them filled by lot. They will be elected and serve a term of 6 years. They will be evaluated though, and can be replaced if they mess up.” Rex announced. “I plan to do this for city projects and the like, they will be assigned, artisans. The job of the racial council will just be to make sure that it isn't exclusive by design.”

 

Rex had spent 6 years thinking of the best way to come up with a simple system. One that could operate a small island country, and Athens was what he had come up with. He needed a system that pulled everyone in, this is what a constitution was for. The elves had many religions, as did the beastmen, only the dwarves followed a single god. This made things easy to just separate it, even Guffrey had agreed it was the best choice.

 

“And what if that fellow next to you decided he didn't like this system, what if he wanted to be the new King?” Charlice hummed as he pointed at Borscht, who was sitting next to Rex.

 

Rex looked over at the large white bear who was starring at him with a confused face. Rex just smiled happily and began petting his big white head.

 

“The whole point of this system is to allow the people to be happy. Besides, he wouldn't dream of it.” Rex said as he smiled happily. “I plan to have every citizen trained as a kid in case of an invasion. I will put a gun in every single citizen's hands, who will care if you are just a little bit strong?”

 

This statement was said loudly and clearly, this was something these people didn't have. As expected, it brought the entire room to a halt, even Simbad and Charlice were looking at him like he was crazy.

 

Rex smiled gently at them as he took another sip of his tea. Anyone here could easily reach forward and break his neck, he couldn't stop it. Would it change anything if they had guns? Blue also didn't give a shit, and could easily curve a bullet through his goo. Rex also had examples of places where this worked. Switzerland did this to all of their kids, right out of high school. They had some of the lowest gun crime rates in the world.

 

We can all rule together, and we can die defending it. If the succubi can't stop them from landing ships, then the citizens will have to.

 

Simbad smiled at the exchange between Rex and the bear.

 

“You know, I can see the start of a beautiful culture between you two. Why not abandon your idea's you can inst-” Simbad was interrupted by the sound of the tent ripping.

 

Riiiip!... Dink..dink!

 

Rex was stunned to see a silver ball with a stem poking out of it fall into the middle of the room. He knew instantly what it was, but it was too late to react.

 

BOOOM!

 

A blinding flash of light erupted from the silver ball after an ear-splitting explosive noise. Rex instantly couldn't see or hear anything that was happening. This was the same for everyone who was in the large tent, and panic quickly ensued.

 

At the top of the tent, the cut that the flashbang had been pushed through was cut open further. A succubus wearing a thick vest that covered the front of her body and lower back slipped through the hole and landed on the ground. She had thick black pants, covered in belts with spare magazines, and explosives. A molded polymer helmet covered her head, with openings for her horns.

 

She carried a pump-action shotgun and a braided rope with a locking clip attached to her back. A thick black wrap covered her face, exposing her orange pupils as she sighted around the room with her shotgun. She quickly spotted the target rolling on the ground violently rubbing his eyes.

 

She approached him quickly and removed the rope from her back using the clip. Turning over the boy who was rolling on the ground, she quickly secured the rope around his torso.

 

“What's going on?!” Rex screamed unable to see or hear just feeling something playing with his chest.

 

Right now he was horrified this was some trap the Pride of Men had set for him. Some things could be far worse than death to a traditionalist! This thought was instantly driven from his head when that succubus made signals through the roof of the tent. That was because the rope around Rex's chest instantly went taunt, and he was soon pulled through the tent and lost consciousness as his head hit something.

 

The succubus in charge of his extraction began nodding proudly as she watched the target get secured, right through the hole in the tent and banging his head on one of the supports. Everything had gone so smoothly. Looking around at all the blind and deafened targets, she began pointing her gun around making shooting noises with her mouth.

 

She was dreaming of the day that she would prove her succubus mettle in real combat! Extending her wings, she also flew through the hole in the ceiling.

 

Kira watched all of this with a feeling of pride, it was such a clean operation. This is what they had been training for and it had been done perfectly. The flashbang was just the failed light bulb the two had made as children. It was then filled with gun cotton to produce the sound. The pressure from the gun cotton would force the mana into contact with the enchantment. This massive influx of mana would also burn up the enchantment, making it useless. The mana was the evaporating fuel mixture and would disappear after use.

 

Rex was not going to allow the elves to steal any of his technology again, so he made sure their enchantments for weapons would be single-use.

 

Right now 50 succubi wearing the same vest and pants as the first succubus all had one end of a rope clipped to the front of their vests. The end of these ropes is combined and attached to a large metal ring. This ring had a single rope that made its way down to Rex. Kira watched as he was pulled through the air and out of the tent.

 

Kira had made it clear she did not approve of Rex talking to those people without her there to protect him from their nonsense. Rex not needing Kira was ridiculous to her, she saw him first! It is a childhood friend's job to always keep her man on the proper course! Right into her arms.

 

“WAIT! You are leaving the bear there all alone and blind! Borscht no!” Rex screamed out in horror as tears streamed from his eyes, he was currently half-conscious.

 

Since he had no idea what he was looking at, he was currently reaching towards the ocean with a look of sorrow.

 

Kira pretended that she heard none of this, if the bear joined the Pride of Men then maybe he would talk some sense into Welch. Welch should not be getting in between their sweet, sweet romance! Right now Kira was researching the answer to the succubi's breeding problem. Soon she and Rex would be surrounded by their adorable babies, then she could thoroughly drive that elf out.

 

Some mothers envisioned soccer teams, Kira was thinking of a well-regulated militia. They could even wield the guns their parents made for them with love. This thought brought a warm smile to her face, as she followed the succubus extraction team back to the mountain.

 

-

 

Back in their house on the mountain, Rex had finally regained his eyesight. His hearing came back after ten minutes, but the magical blinding lasted close to an hour. Right now he was sitting at a table the two used, they were both sitting in chairs. On rainy days the two would play chess or checkers, Rex wanted to introduce cards. This was because he was the only one who ate food, and he rarely did it at this table.

 

It was so infrequently he could count the number of times on a single hand, they just didn't spend time at the table for food.

 

“You got the bear right? There was nothing wrong with him?” Rex asked with a panicked expression.

 

Kira nodded with a proud expression.

 

“Borscht was fine, we extracted him successfully.” Kira announced.

 

She had gone back after Rex asked her, she just couldn't tell him no, it was probably her worst trait. Looking at her future husband proudly, she puffed out her impressive chest. This was a wife's job, to protect her husband's chastity! One of the reasons Kira had been training a strike force was as a way to protect the two of them.

 

Even if they joined a democracy, she would still be the leader of the succubi. This would be no different than when they were a part of the demons. While Kira trusted Rex, she knew he wasn't infallible, her second job was to look after the two of them.

 

Looking at her husband, she decided.

 

You can stay pure, Kira will protect you!

 

When Kira thought of all of her sisters participating in decisions that could affect their future country, she could only chuckle at the idea of it. The whole thing seemed kind of absurd, the first day would be voting on the ideas that were presented and debated over the last month. This would be done by a pool of people selected by lots. They would serve a term of 1 year or 12 assemblies, they would act as a formal senate.

 

Generals and the heads of projects would be elected, as these were career positions. Rex wanted to treat the entire system like jury duty, if you didn't want to attend then you would be required to at least fill out a ballot. Rex had chosen this system, as it worked better the more factions you had. All that matters was the simple majority. This system had lasted hundreds of years in Athens, it was never tried anywhere else. All of the other city-states of Greece were either Oligarchies or Monarchies. They ultimately lost to the Spartans and had no allies after the Peloponnesian war.

 

Rex could very easily imagine why it took the power out of the individual's hands. This meant that every single person mattered when it came to establishing political power. It was the only way to ensure that the weak would never slip through the cracks. Rex was honestly just hoping to get elected to oversee the completion of some construction projects, he could use the succubi to influence the direction of the country from inside.

 

It was a system that was full of holes and would require an incredible constitution and bill of rights. This was the only way to ensure it was something that existed long after he did. To stop authoritarianism, he planned to have virtually no elections. No one would be in power for an extended time. This should stop any corruption from forming in its tracks. To ensure society would still function, you could choose to get a work exemption, to not attend if you didn't want to, but you would be required to mail in a ballot.

 

“Have you began passing the information we discussed through the succubi, it will be important if we want to get the country established,” Rex asked Kira, now that she was back.

 

Kira raised her head in pride, her horns pointed to the ceiling.

 

“I have spread it to all of the sisters, they will also pass the information along to the ones on the mainland,” Kira reported back.

 

“That's good, well done.” Rex said reaching forward and patting her head.

 

Rex had to be careful of her horns, as they were quite sharp, but some things would never change. While her body had grown up her mind was still catching up. This was clear from how she had overreacted to the meeting, he had no idea why she didn't just join him? Why would he ever join the Pride of Men? Rex was a traditionalist through and through, the images he ran through his head when he was alone in his lab was very normal!

 

Staring at the succubus chest that was pushed out in pride, he had to slowly peel his eyes off of it. This had started happening ever since he was in puberty. Currently, Kira had no way to stop the draining effect her body produced, but she had been making progress.

 

“How was your training?” He asked her casually.

 

“It wasn't bad, the sisters want bigger explosives. They don't like how small the explosions are. They also want some that produce fog that kills people, they said that it would be really, really cool.” Kira told him.

 

Oh... more Geneva Convention violations...

 

Rex could just see all of the founding fathers looking at him with disgusted expressions as they shook their heads.

 

“Why don't we maybe stop, and think a-” Rex began but was stopped by Kira.

 

“Rex, the elves are killing all of the mousemen they find in the swamps. The mousemen have no way to fight back.” Kira told Rex when she expected his hesitation.

 

Rex thought of their adorable faces when they were eating food. They looked so cute with inflated cheeks! They all had squeaky voices that made him think of chipmunks. Rex found himself driving his fist into the table, making a pitiful sound from the collision. This was because he knew that the mousemen had incredible poison resistance to things that were quite toxic.

 

“It will be very toxic! How dare those bastards go after the mousemen!” Rex announced angrily.

 

When he thought of how incredible their ability to find nitrates was, he found his heart filling with rage. Rex was already running plans through his head as he thought of his future little friends. They had already decided to sell weapons to the mainland, Kira had been using this to increase the size of the succubi arsenal.

 

She was the current leader of the Succubus Weapons Association, The SWA made it its mission to put a weapon in every succubus' hands. She was also the major proponent to arm the whole island, a succubus should never fear their opponent's weapons! The moment you try to aim at them you will just fall victim to the succubus' charm. She wasn't worried in the least about the islanders having weapons, it would only increase the succubi cash flow.

 

If Rex knew Kira's thoughts, he would be horrified to see such a perfect example of capitalism and lobbying. Since he had introduced currency, the biggest winners had been the succubi. Many succubi had already taken to trading in their contributions for things to trade with the islanders. They could then turn the items they traded for into even more contributions. This was because the succubi didn't currently use currency, currently, they were all stocking up for the transition to using currency.

 

Rex had no idea they have currently started investing, and even hedging bets on what would be worth the most when the system changed. The great succubi philosophers were moving quickly along the path of capitalists, they would use their fortunes to measure their success!

57