The Mainland War – Chapter 18
1.3k 22 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few seconds since the last chapter...

A large keep inside of a mountain, The main hall

 

Allyn looked around the room and took in all of the angry gazes that were directed at him, the news that the doppelganger just gave out caused everyone to first feel deep panic followed by rage. The doppelganger matriarch was currently curled up in her throne, wailing loudly. Doppelgangers were a weak race in physical combat, much weaker than vampires in a fight.

 

“What is your explanation?” The disappointment was clear on the Demon Lord's face.

 

Allyn's brain began rolling at its fastest speed, as he tried to reason out how this was happening. All of his spies were his most trusty retainers, taking a subtle glance at the gathered demons, he wondered why only the doppelgangers were getting any pity.

 

He betrayed me!

 

This was the only conclusion he could reach, what other reason could that vampire spy have to collect the locations of all of the other spies. The problem Allyn was reasoning out, was how this lowly spawn could have sussed out and discovered all of the other spies. The image of a younger him, as he was trying to destroy his creator, Calcula came to his mind. Suddenly he felt a sense of relief that was slowly starting to fill him. If that lowly spawn had been allowed to grow the consequences could have been dire for him.

 

I dodged an enchanted arrow alright!

 

Allyn almost had to stop himself from smiling and laughing out happily, as it would be completely inappropriate. Allyn took in a deep breath and was about to speak when the door was thrown open suddenly.

 

Turning around he saw his blonde daughter Anna, but she looked different from the last time he had seen her. Her face had a feral expression, and the rage looked like it was barely restrained.

 

“YOU PIECE OF SHIT! How could you do that to mother?!” Anna roared as she charged forward, but she was stopped instantly.

 

A streak of gray light was all that could be seen, then his daughter had disappeared from her spot. Looking towards the wall, he could see a bone demon pinning Anna to the wall with one of its bony claws. Allyn was relieved to see his daughter unhurt, before what she said registered in his mind.

 

Why is this happening all at once!

 

His daughter was yelling and screaming in rage, as she tried to pry the bone claw off of her, but the bone demon was more than twice her size and built to be sturdy. When there were thousands of them together they were an incredible force on a battlefield. All of their organs were encased inside dense sturdy bones, almost like a type of insect. It looked like a large bony skeleton with a chest made of solid bone plates.

 

The bone demon took one glance at the Demon Lord, but the massive demon on the throne just gave a casual gesture in response. The bone demon turned his head back to the pinned girl and drove its other fist into the girl's stomach. The girl coughed up some blood, as a look of shock crossed her face, then she lost consciousness.

 

The bone demon tossed the girl to the side, as it glanced down at the blood on its hand and shook it off onto the stone floor casually. The Demon Lord watched this farce and began to chuckle silently. The sound of it was like rocks grinding together, and it flowed through the hall eerily.

 

“What a joke! You talk about yourself as if you are some grand tactician, but you are just a clown. You can't control your wife, your children, or your subordinates.” The Demon Lord said as he shook his head in pity. “You couldn't even perform such a simple duty as just reporting what you heard!”

 

Allyn finally snapped in rage at everything that was happening.

 

“I was betrayed! I didn't know where the doppelgangers were stationed!” Allyn called out in anger.

 

“I know, you don't seem to be capable of doing anything right.” The Demon Lord told Allyn bluntly, a deep rage showing in his eyes.

 

The Demon Lord looked over at the doppelganger matriarch who was crying heavily in her throne. She had lost a quarter of her race and several direct descendants. The Demon Lord took a deep drink from the giant barrel of alcohol at his side before he buried his face in his hand. His other hand reached out and grasped the handle of the sword, his claws began madly tapping away at the handle of the sword.

 

“I only have a year left...” He muttered madly, pressure began to build in the room.

 

The Demon Lord's hand suddenly went completely calm, as he raised his head slowly from his hand.

 

“We are changing our plans, the doppelgangers will be pulled from their spy duties. As compensation for your services I will see that you are given 10,000 meat sacks, focus on recovering your numbers.” The Demon Lord ordered the doppelganger matriarch.

 

Normally an announcement like this would cause an uproar, as it was quite a sum of food. No one was looking at the doppelganger matriarch with anything but pity at the moment. Most of these races owed their safety over the years to the doppelgangers acting to relay the positions of wandering beastmen groups. Losing them from the front lines would be like returning to the times before the vampires and doppelgangers were a part of their coalition.

 

“Allyn Corvollin, I am incredibly disappointed in you. You can thank your wife for why you will keep your head. Go, take the vampires with you, and don't come back, your ex-wife will be staying here.” The Demon Lord told him with finality. “Such a fine woman is wasted on you anyway. If you try to do anything to her then your head will be mounted on my bedroom wall.”

 

Allyn was shocked, he could barely contain his fury. He clenched his teeth tightly and began to breathe harshly to try to regain his calm.

 

“Let alone a demon lord, you are not even worthy to be a clown.” The Demon Lord told him. “When I asked your wife why she would betray you, she told me that she wasn't and that she was helping you become a demon lord. 'How amusing' is what I thought at the time, but I have grown fond of her. Her ability to still be able to walk after a good fucking is quite impressive.”

 

The Demon Lord added insult to injury, as several of the male races in the room burst into laughter. Allyn felt his temper rising, but looking at the stoic bone demon and the giant Demon Lord, he stopped himself from acting recklessly. Allyn raised his arm and a bat crawled out from his sleeve and quickly flew over to his unconscious daughter. This bat landed on the ground and quickly transformed into a naked male beastman with the head of a cat.

 

The cat beastman kneeled and scooped up the unconscious Anna. As Allyn turned to leave the throne room, loud laughter was filling the air. He ground his teeth in rage, and his fingernails dug into his palms.

 

Revenge! I must get revenge! This thought consumed him as he left the throne room!

 

The Demon Lord watched this all with no change to his expression, he instead focused on taking a deep drink from the now almost empty barrel.

 

“Rathios, send a representative to the succubi. We need to get them back, offer them 2000 meat sacks and an apology.” The Demon Lord ordered the lord of the wraiths.

 

The Demon Lord began to madly tap at the handle of his sword before he suddenly stopped as if he recalled something. All of the gathered demon races quickly agreed before the wraith lord left to find a subordinate. The Demon Lord watched this all, as he began tapping on the hilt of his sword madly. If you looked into the eyes of the Demon Lord you would see the signs of deep fear hidden in his dinner-plate-sized eyes.

 

“I still have a year left...” He muttered again.

 

-

Meanwhile...

Succubus Homeland, Rex and Kira's room

 

Marriage is all about compromises and balance. You must balance out things like happiness, fulfillment, and well-being. Rex was almost certain that this is why he had wanted to burn his previous marriage to the ground with his own hands. This was after he had died of course. In this lifetime he had a partner as well, but this one was much different.

 

Rex was paying a lot of attention as he was using a toothbrush to carefully scrub all of Kira's teeth. This was a mixture of toothpaste he had made using Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate. This can be gained from reacting water, ammonia, and CO2 gas, then passing it through salt. He also used a type of clay to add grit, and he suspended it in a gel-based solution. He was doing this for her, as she couldn't use his method of cleaning her teeth.

 

Rex had what looked like a blue plastic mouth guard in his mouth, it was a piece of Blue. This was easily the world's greatest dentist, why did he even need things like toothpaste? Anything that could cause disease would be eradicated by the mold in his body, he had yet to run into anything that it couldn't subdue. Using Blue as a dental product had been its idea, it also acted to keep him clean. Even with his various scars, his skin was as smooth as a baby's and very fair. This was all due to the little blue maintenance worker that cleaned him every time it removed the bacteria.

 

The only problem with Blue was that it was very particular, and refused to do the same service for others.

 

No, wait, maybe it just doesn't see a point in doing it.

 

Most teeth are broken down by acids, this is also what a lot of micro-organisms can produce. Rex had seen Kira spill nitric acid on her foot and just shake it off. The reason he trusted the succubi with making explosives was due to their chemical resistance. This was also paired with their sturdiness, or at least their ability to recover from any accidents using life force. Kira's pool that she used to bathe also had a second purpose, in the event a succubus gets seriously injured they can use it to recover faster.

 

Succubi only had 2 weak points compared to a human, one was the heart and one was the head. Most of the demons, or at least the original ones don't have organs that necessitate life. They have a magic stone in the heart and a type of special organ that looks like gelatin in their head according to Kira. Even their muscles and bones were different from most living creatures, and according to her the bones in her body were the same gray as her horns.

 

Rex knew a fair amount about human anatomy, everyone who worked on gun design did. This was the macabre side of arms manufacturing, you're not planning to use assault rifles on animals when you are designing them. Their testing facility had included body armor collected from all over the world and perfect human analogs. Every single gun manufacturer will have a room just like this in their buildings.

 

“And your teeth are clean, go ahead and spit.” He told her around the goo in his mouth, as she spits her toothpaste into a basin that would be washed later.

 

Rex used a bottle to dump water out and clean her toothbrush with it. Blue just stuck to Rex's teeth so that he could still talk, his cleaning took several minutes to conclude. None of the succubi he had seen had cavities or any gum disease. He couldn't reach into her mouth without triggering her draining effect, this was why he used a toothbrush with a longer handle than normal.

 

Kira smiled at him showing off her shiny white teeth and began walking to the bed, she shrugged her shoulders and pulled off her top. Rex could see her smooth white back before she reached down and pulled off her shorts. She was standing in her panties without a bra on, this was how she usually slept. Her black hair ran down her pale back and she reached up and began gathering it into a tail that she pulled to the front of her. Kira then laid down on the bed on her stomach, her tail laid down the gap between her legs.

 

Rex grabbed a bottle of lotion that was made from seaweed and he put some on his hands, he also blew on it to warm it up since it was cold. Walking over he stood on the cotton bead and crouched to avoid the ceiling. He walked forward and placed his legs on both sides of Kira and sat down using her rear as a cushion. Today her panties were a bright blue color, Rex refused to do this if she wore any less. He usually did her first, as he would sit around and write for a while before going to bed. Kira had to wake up earlier than him tomorrow, as she would be heading to Acid Island to train.

 

“This will be the last time you will need to go therE for a while.” Rex said as he began to press his hands into her stiff shoulders.

 

“Ohhhh! Yeah, it'll be nice!” Kira said, not caring at all about the question.

 

Ever since she had become an adult, she faced a dilemma. She didn't want to transform in front of Rex, it was this weird fear that he might like something else more than her base form. This was insecurity she had developed since she could change her appearance, but her chest had grown so large, and it wasn't stopping. She had no idea what was happening, as this was different than any of her sisters.

 

She would get pain in the middle of her back and her shoulders, and her breast every day seemed a little bigger. The cushion Rex was sitting on was also growing plumper, as were her thighs. The problem was that her chest was getting inconvenient, when Rex wasn't around she got into the habit of shrinking them down with her transformation ability. That didn't change the weight of them though.

 

Kira was not holding back her voice at all, this was easily her favorite part of the day. This started when she grew up and began having stiff shoulders. Rex had decided to help her by massaging them through her shirt, then she just pulled it off for him. When he saw those large peaks that stood proudly against gravity, it reminded him of something. This was why going through puberty had been a hell that caused him to lock himself in his lab. This was only when he wasn't working at the refinery.

 

Now Rex was like a seasoned and tempered monk, he only vented his frustrations alone when no one was around. Part of the talk that they had was about kids, they decided to hold off for a while on having some for a few years.

 

“When I get back, are you going to be able to help me?” She asked shyly.

 

This was about the enchantment she was developing.

 

“I promised you I would.” He replied as he worked on her shoulder blades, where her wings came out.

 

Rex could feel where her wings extended as there was a bump on her shoulder blades that he just didn't have. This was another place that got sore for a succubus, Rex had been thinking of designing a massaging chair to boost the morale.

 

“I think it is still going to take a few years before it can be used to make kids, but at least we can sleep together like a normal couple.” She said sadly.

 

“I don't know why you are so worried about that, I'm not going anywhere.” He told her as he moved to her lower back and started messaging carefully.

 

Kira had been worried for a while that someone would try to take him away from her, this was because she lacked so much compared to regular girls of other species. This is why Welch rang so many alarm bells in Kira's mind. Welch was the female that was the closest looking to Rex beside her.

 

Kira wasn't worried about the other succubi because she had already set a law against them. Stealing someone's husband would be punishable by death! This was a new iron-clad rule of the succubi. Sharing was okay, but stealing was just wrong. Just like the first guns that came out, all of the succubi had to eagerly wait for their turns to use them.

 

Rex didn't realize the debate that had occurred among the succubi while he had been working. The great succubus philosophers spent many days and nights agonizing over this very issue. If they are no longer going to eat others, where will their future babies come from? While Kira was able to get married, what about everyone else? This was a rule that was amended for the other succubi, this would allow one man to go much, much farther. Kira was a jealous leader, no one was allowed to touch what was hers though.

 

When Rex got to her lower back he noticed something was growing in her lower spine. It felt almost like the bones that grow on her shoulder blades. The moment he pressed his palms into it Kira moaned loudly in relief.

 

“There! It has been so sore there for the last few days! Harder!” She commanded.

 

The more Rex pressed into her back the louder she would moan in relief, she even started rubbing her thighs together. Rex took a deep breath as he began chanting mantras in his mind. They made no sense and were just some gibberish he had made up as he went along, but every mantra had to start from somewhere. This was a battle he had carefully fought against his demon wife to forge his will into the firmest of iron.

 

Succubi only came in two forms, after all, nothing or sexy. The young succubi like Shaya fit into the former category, then you had Kira.

 

“Harder!” She moaned out.

 

Her tail had also begun thrashing around behind her as he continued to press into her back with more pressure. Rex could feel the two lumps starting to shift a bit under her skin. Just as he felt they were going to move they seemed to settle down again. Kira breathed out a sigh of relief, as she had an almost drunk expression on her face.

 

“Alright, let me go get the oil.” Rex said as he stood and made his way to the living room.

 

The oil was made from coconut, he also used it for her toothpaste. At this thought the mouth guard he was wearing finally let go of his teeth, turning into a liquid that flowed down the side of his face and into his clothes. It would rejoin the bracelet he wore and become one piece again. Rex felt around his mouth with his tongue but everything was smooth and clean, Blue even cleaned out his gums. It was 15-20 minutes a night and was relatively easy.

 

“Thanks, buddy!” He said as he rubbed the bracelet on his wrist.

 

Blue vibrated back to his touch in response, as it combined back into a bigger bracelet. Grabbing the small bottle of oil next to the couch, he made his way back to the bedroom upstairs. Rex walked back into the bedroom and stood above Kira, sitting on her lower thighs. Kira then coiled her black tail into his lap. The texture was smooth like leather, and it would get chapped if it wasn't properly cared for. Rex grabbed some oil and poured it in his hand.

 

Rex also warmed it with friction and breath before he began to massage it into the base of her tail. The skin on her back darkened to a purple around the base of her tail. Rex worked it into her tail just like he would a whip, although she mostly used it as a third hand for when she was reloading a weapon. Everything that Rex designed for the succubi had to be able to use this incredible appendage. It felt like a snake did, and was probably cartilaginous and surrounded by muscle. It had very little give, and he could barely press his fingers into it. The only exception was the spade at the top, this was quite soft and flexible like rubber. Rex had to be careful with it though as it was quite ticklish.

 

Finished oiling her tail, now it was on to the last part. Rex also used this same oil on her wings to keep them flexible, he usually only did this once a week. If he did it too often it would cause the skin to get stretchy and make it harder to fly. Kira's wings had also slightly changed when she extended them straight up from her back. While the bones and splines were as dark as always, the skin along the bottom was lightening from the black it had been to purple color.

 

This had been happening for a while now, and it seemed to be spreading more each week. It made it seem like her wings were darker at the top then faded to purple color.

 

“Kira, what is going on with your wings? Are you transforming them using your ability?” He couldn't help but ask.

 

“No, I am not changing anything.” She replied in her almost drunk state.

 

Rex pulled a rag off his nightstand and spread oil onto it lightly, he then began to run it along her stretched wings. The purple was quite vivid near the bottom of her wings, it was a very unique effect. They were also slightly bigger than other succubi's wings, it was why he could use her as a Kirachute, and hang glide down the mountain.

 

Finished oiling one wing, he moved onto the other, the skin felt just like leather, it also had a similar texture to her tail. Rex had been doing this since he started massaging her shoulders. Finished oiling her other wing, he placed the oil and rag on his nightstand after wiping his hands off.

 

“Thanks!” Kira chirped sleepily, still lying on her stomach.

 

Rex stood up and walked over to his desk, turning on a small lamp and grabbing a pencil.

 

“Your welcome.” He replied with a smile.

 

This was everything he had learned when he was making the milling head. When he had first seen the ability that Shaya had when controlling the milling head, his disappointment grew to the extreme. That was because he saw the future application of this technology, and that was controlling machinery like an extension of your own body. Right now he could only move a drill bit on an XYZ grid, but this had opened and closed a door to him and that was power armor.

 

When Rex saw this technology, his mind went straight to weapons. This is just what his profession had done to him over those years on Earth, and more since he came to this island. Rex had wanted to bang his head against a wall when he imagined how cool it would be to pilot a giant suit to battle monsters larger than Borscht when he pushed his bloodline. There were just so many places a neural interface could have revolutionized the modern world, but Rex was barred from using it.

 

Why... why can't I ever have anything cool!?!

 

Actually, when he thought of giant robots it brought a chuckle to him. The people who worked at the arms plant played a war game that used giant robots. They always talked about spheres and clans, but then everyone laughed at just how impractical they were. They would cost 1000x more than a tank and be incredibly vulnerable to artillery and missiles. What you wanted was all that same firepower, but able to fit in a suit form. Power armor and tanks were ideal, along with attack helicopters and jets.

 

And with enough levitite, I could make this entire island float!

 

Rex was certain that this metal didn't float, but repelled the mana that was in the core of the planet. That was the only force strong enough to explain how a few kilograms of it was able to lift several tons of weight. It just needed to be supplied mana, what an incredible material.

 

Rex was startled when he felt two hands dig into his shoulders and begin to massage them. The chair he sat in was custom made by the dwarves, it had a metal back with slits that ran up and down it. These were set for a single purpose, a tail massage. Rex didn't dare turn around or he would come face to face with a large pair of...

 

Instead, he enjoyed having his shoulders kneaded, as her tail acted like a little fist and worked out the stiffness and tension in his back. His lower back always got sore, this was due to the damage the swamp monster did to it. Her tail had a unique texture like a heated gel pad being pressed into the muscles. This is because she could use her transformation ability to modify the shape of it.

 

“Thanks, Kira, moving all that metal around for the mill stiffened up my shoulders and back.” Rex said as he sighed in relief.

 

“What are you working on?” She asked.

 

“I just like daydreaming sometimes, I was calculating the weight of the island. I thought that making it fly would be incredible, and I just got curious to see what it would take.” Rex told her with a gleam in his eye. “This is the time where I like to let myself dream about what could be possible.”

 

“Why is that important?” She asked.

 

“Because when I die, I don't want my dreams to be buried.” Rex said calmly. “An engineer exists to solve problems and multiply the strength of the people. If my dreams can provide a direction for future research, then I must leave it in some form.”

 

“I don't like you talking about dying.” She said as her hands paused, she took on a somber tone.

 

“Kira, I have no idea what is happening to my body. I won't know for a while. I can't control what it does sometimes, and it is always changing, what if it decides it is no longer happy here?” Rex said as he sighed. “I have to prepare for every eventuality, that vampire attack proved it. If I die, then I have left something for you buried under the floor of my lab. In it are the instructions to refine something called uranium. If I ever die, then that should be enough to allow the succubi to li-”

 

Rex suddenly felt something slap into him gently and saw a spade-shaped tail poking his cheek.

 

“Don't speak nonsense.” Kira told him bluntly. She then pulled her tail back and continued her massage. Little did he know, she was already planning for this. She was certain that magic to extend lifespan existed. The gap of years can be easily corrected by adding a few 0's to the end of the small 100 that he claimed humans lived to in his time. Kira nodded as she added this new field of research to her studies.

49