Chapter – 13 – Founding Day Celebration(3)
876 9 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Arthur, what will you do once I pass away?”

Just as Helena completed the question, she was able to see Arthur glaring at her.

“Mom, you know that I don’t like such questions, right?”

“Well, what can I do. I’m just curious about how my son would react to my death.”

“Sighhh…”

After leaving a deep breath, Arthur looking up at the sky from their training ground, he spoke gripping his sword tighter.

“I don’t know...start preparing for your funeral?”

“Already!? What about the crying part?!”, Helena screamed with surprise.

“Hear me out...First, I’ll start preparing for your funeral. I will have to greet every noble and guest that come to the palace.”

Helena’s eyes were locked on Arthur’s face. While Arthur, himself was looking at the sky.

“Then, I will carry on the preparation for taking you to the spirit realm. Since Father can’t come with me...everything has to be taken care of by the Prorins and me.”

“....”

“After exhausting my mana, I’d probably pass out inside the spirit realm. Then, I would probably to transported to the Cogni.”

“...”

“Only then...only at this point will I feel empty. This would be the first time where I don’t wake up to your face after passing out. That day would probably be the first time where I had dinner alone. It would be the first time, where I went to sleep without saying good night to you. Everything I do would make me remember you, thinking that I’d done the same thing with you in the past. At this point, someone can find me crying in the corner of my room. All alone, with no one to console me.”, Arthur said in a single breath.

“....”

“...Mom?”

As Arthur leaned in, Helena quickly turned her face towards the other direction. 

She didn’t want her son to remember this current face of her. 

But, unfortunately...Arthur saw. Arthur saw the regret that was clearly visible on her face. That regret of having to leave him alone in the future.

All the nobles were wondering...why right after the disastrous announcement, did the new Duke of Ellen, was shedding tears.

“...Ah...I...I’m sorry. It’s just...It’s just that it has been so long, that I...unconsciously…”, seeing Arthur becoming emotional, urged all the nobles to follow along in the same mood too.

“I was just wondering how happy my mother would be, seeing that two of her most important people were getting what they deserved. Just imagining her expression, brought me to tears.”, Arthur said while smiling.

“Duke of Longe, Smith Longe…come on up. We have a hug to share.”, Arthur said while waving his hand upwards looking at Smith.

Smith, on the other hand, didn’t have any choice but to move forward.

As Smith walked, thunderous applause rose from all directions. 

Some of the nobles on the other were concerned, they were concerned about what might happen to them in the near future.

The Longe family is no joke. 

Yes...they don’t have a title. But that doesn’t mean you should be looking down upon them.

The knights of the Longe family...are not really knights. Knights can be only called knights when they are affiliated with a noble family or the imperial family itself.

Despite this obvious problem...the army of the Longe family is still considered as knights. Mainly because of two reasons.

One, because of the powerful position, the Imperial Army Captain of the Empire is always reserved for the Longe Family. 

Originally, this was a position that should belong to the most talented personnel. But, for the past few generations, the most talented person was from the Longe family.

The second reason is because of the Longe Academy. All of the knights and Noble kids head there for education. After spending a major part of their life in this territory...there are no nobles who want to make the Longe their enemy. 

Excluding the emotional connection, everyone is aware of the power of both the members of the Longe family and their army.

As Smith made his way to the stage, there was a variety of emotions that surged through him.

First was acceptance, he considered this as a punishment for the wrongdoings he committed towards his best friend.

I am someone who deserves death for what I’ve done to both Helena and Arthur, I should be happy with what I’ve received.

But with each step, his heart crumbled.

He knew...he knew very well about the amount of money a Duke family has to pay. It’s almost like compensation for the title.

It is not much for Duchy with a lot of residents.

All Duchys have a large number of residents, this makes it easier for them to pay the tax. 

But the Longe Family is different, being a territory-based completely on academics, it is difficult for them to pay such money.

The fees for the Longe Academy are already at an all-time high. Rising them any higher would bring in scowls from poor nobles. 

This is the main difference between Ena and Longe Academy. The former is exempted from tax, as it belongs to the former Empress. And this allows Arthur to lower the fees, even reaching a level where the seats are given for a loss. 

Thinking about the future of trouble in front of him, made Smith frown. He was irritated, frustrated, and angry.

It was not mainly my fault...wasn’t it Augustus who forced us to take in William? Why is he allowed to happily sit all of these problems out?!

Smith noticed how Augustus refused to maintain eye contact.

This bastard...

Each step to the stage was slow and heavy.

“Uncle Smith! It’s been a long time since we’ve seen each other!!”, Arthur said while hugging Smith tightly.

“Ahhhh~~~ How blissful this is, isn’t it, Smith?”

“So no more respect for me, huh.”, Smith said while hugging Arthur back.

“Aren’t we at the same level of status now, why care about something as trivial as respect?”

“So, you’re only going to take revenge on us...and not anything towards your father? What...is having your blood common making you soft?”, Smith snarled at the unfairness.

As both of them stopped hugging, Arthur took a step backward...he said,

‘I don’t need to do anything.’, he said while looking directly at Smith’s eye.

“....You-”

“Shhh~~ The world is listening to your cries, Smith. You don’t want to be seen disgraceful.”, Arthur said while turning towards the Nobles.

After a deep bow, thunderous applause, and a dark smile towards the Emperor, Arthur got down from the stage.

Smith began his speech of how he did not expect what would happen today. Then he went on about how happy he is, to get such a great gift from his late friend.

Arthur on the other hand was sitting next to the Prorins, smiling at Augustus.

Though both of them were smiling at each other, there was no sign of peacefulness between them.

Arthur was happy to start his mega project.

Augustus on the other hand was pissed at how Arthur was controlling him.

Two people, two different goals, same blood…

Ethel was wondering how interesting things would be in the future.

Even though he had no intimation of what happened today, Smith was giving a rather long speech.

Going into details of what he will be doing to the territory.

“I’m going to get some water. Want to come?”, I said to Ethel.

“Go on. You don’t need a company for something as trivial as this”., Ethel said.

“Tch”

Getting up from my seat which was situated at the very front, I was able to see the hundreds of pairs of eyes concentrated on me.

Some were filled with curiosity, some were filled with determination and some were filled with animosity.

*Chuckle*

It’s funny...how I graduated from the forgotten prince to the youngest Duke of the Empire.

Walking down the hallway, with Smith still talking behind me...I headed straight to the food section.

With tens of tables before me, all filled with delicious foods prepared by the renowned chefs of the Imperial family...and I was searching for water.

“Do you want some water, Duke Arthur?”

“I would be glad to have some, Duke Landon”, I said to the voice behind while turning back.

“Well, for it’s worth...congratulations on becoming a Duke.”, he said while bowing down a little.

“Thank you. And I apologize for not being to accept your request earlier.”

“Oh, that’s fine. I understand you being busy. It was not right for me to request an appointment that late too.”

I was wondering about that too...Duke Landon is not a man who acts like this. 

His manners as both a Duke and the Prime Minister are well known throughout the Empire. 

“Is anything bothering you?”, I said while sipping water.

“Sigh...I would be lying if I say I was alright.”

So...there is something that is bothering one of the most powerful man of the Empire.

“Will I be able to help?”, I asked while looking at him.

“You are the only one who could help me.”

“Well...go on. Don’t keep me waiting.”

“It’s about Fiona. She wants to have a meeting with the one who owns both Ena and Ellen.”

Haha...Just what did I expect.

“A meeting, huh. Will there be anything I benefit from this meeting?”, I asked while smiling a little.

I know that Lady Fiona is one of the most powerful young ladies among the noble kids.

But that’s it…

There’s not anything more that is great about her. 

It’s not like she controls the market-

“I don’t know why she let me say this to you...no one really knows about this...but she is the Lady behind Luxica.”

“....”

“....”

“A joke?”

“Absolutely not.”

“Really?”

“100% percent.”

“Hmmm…”

Shit…

“I don’t want to sound rude...but did you help her in the making of Luxica?”

“Would you believe me if I said that I only came to know about its existence two months after her products hit the stores?”

“...I wouldn’t believe it.”

“Well, that’s unfortunate...but that’s the truth.”

“....Is that so.”

“It is.”

Damnnnn…

So the most powerful young lady right now is Lady Fiona.

Diana...despite being an Imperial princess will only rank second due to this interesting development.

Luxica...It’s not a simple company by any means.

With a vast network...the company rose to the top in a very short time. 

I have also come to know about some nasty trick the company did to crush the opposition.

“So the company that has quite the control over the market in Ena belongs to Lady Fiona…”

“It was also my first time seeing her being this interested in a city. She was really interested in Ena and its academy. I wonder why?”

“No no...stop asking me the questions. Isn’t she your daughter?! Don’t you know about her intentions?”

“We stopped interacting properly 6 years ago…”

“...Sigh...is this really the first thing I should be listening to after rising to the position of a Duke? What are you really trying to achieve, Duke Landon?”

“She also knew about your achievement a year ago.”

“I’m sorry?”

“She knew about you being the person behind the development of Ena. She also knew about the Duchy too.”, he said while looking down.

“And how did this happen again?”

These are Empire-level secrets. Any Information Broker knows better to keep shut.

“I’m telling this to you because I believe you can keep a secret, Your Highness.”

“Well...go on.”

“Alcohol…”

“...”

“...”

“...I’m gonna pretend I didn’t hear that.”

“Thank you…”

The image I had his slowly but surely breaking down.

But putting that aside, Duke Landon was looking extremely tired. 

With bags under his eyes, he seemed like he could pass out anytime.

*NOISE* *NOISE*

I was able to hear various noises from the other side.

Guess his speech is over.

I would have liked to hear that...but I am glad I got an interesting piece of information.

So Lady Fiona...is the owner of Luxica.

“Duke Landon, why was she interested in my Duchy, anyways?”

“I have no clue...maybe because she wants to know how a territory will be built from the ground up.”

“Hmmmm...I see.”

Or she wants early access to the vast market of Ellen.

“Well, Duke Landon...thanks for acting as the messenger...please do arrange a meeting for us.”

“Oh, thank you so much. I’ll message you the location and time later.”

“Absolutely.”

I was able to see various nobles heading our way.

All of them had sharp eyes, wanting to get acquainted with me.

And of course, no one was able to do anything when Duke Smith pushed through all of them...heading straight towards me.

“That was a long speech, Smith. Were you perhaps prepared?”, I said quietly.

“...”, his eyes were bloodshot with anger. 

He was even releasing his mana a little.

I don’t think the nobles noticed because his face had a brilliant smile plastered on top of it.

His son, Richard Longe with bright red hair...was right behind Smith...equally glaring at me.

“I know that you can defeat me...but at what cost?”, I asked while grinning.

I may have the highest quantity of mana...but his sword skills and years of experience is not something I can scoff at.

It’s not simple to be the Leader of the Imperial Army.

“Sigh...you got what you wanted...you deliberately attacked my Academy...placed a title on top of me...it’s going to be extremely hard for us to move on without problems. Why are you only concentrating on the Longe Family?”, he asked while sipping a bit of alcohol that was served to him on his way here.

Why he asks.

I don’t know. The Ena academy was something I built on my own.

But that plan for the academy was made by my mother.

‘Maybe she wanted me to start plucking the problems from its roots?’, I said while tilting my head.

Richard was confused.

But the two Dukes on the other hand frowned upon my sentence.

“Helena…”, Smith said silently.

“This is just the start, Smith. I will come after every single one of you-”

“You may be a Duke. But it’s advisable to treat my father with respect, Your Highness.”, Richard said while moving forward.

Haha~! The chicklet is angry?!

“...and who are you to order me?”, I too said while moving forward.

With both of us glaring at each other face to face, the surroundings got a bit loud.

Oh...these nobles...all of them are people who crave drama. Now that we both are glaring at each other like this, are they all excited?

Thinking about this, I unconsciously smiled...Richard too smiled.

Smith was calm. Duke Landon on the other hand was a bit worried.

“Richard. Richard Longe. Better remember the name.”, he said while flashing an evil smile.

Of course, I know.

Richard Longe, the only son of Smith.

Considered to be a genius right from birth. In fact, he is even stronger than Smith, when Smith was his age.

I wonder how strong he is...

“Do both of them consider themselves as rivals?”

“Are they going to fight?”

“Will the Prince be alright? Isn’t Young Master Richard consider to be one of the strongest in this generation?”

I was able to hear the crowd whispering such remarks.

Richard too noticed this.

Guess we both don’t want much attention at this place. 

Today is the Founding Day celebration...a day which is respected by the whole Empire.

No one wants drama on this day.

“We’ll continue this later.”, I said while extending my hand.

*GRAB*

“When we do...don’t think your family can save you.”, he said.

*SMILE* 

*CRACK* *CRACK*

Lightning?!

Richard thought to himself as black sparks rose from Arthur’s body.

“I’m looking forward to it.”

As Arthur let go, Richard was forced to clench his fists...due to the shock he felt throughout his arm.

“Arthur...I believe a lesson for controlling yourself is necessary.”, said Ethel next to me.

“And Richard you too...when the adults are talking, we do you have to poke your nose in? You never really learn…”, Ethel said while sighing.

When did she come here?

“Oh~? I thought I excelled at that keeping myself in check, don’t I, Smith?”

“...Richard, we are leaving.”, Smith said while glaring at me.

As both of them left to meet the other nobles. 

Ethel whispered next to me, 

“He has finally snapped, huh.”

“I’m glad he has. It was quite boring when I was the only one looking forward to our battles.”

“No No...you’re still the only one who is looking forward to the battles. All of them really want nothing but peace.”, Ethel said while shaking her head sideways.

“Peace? I have been offering that for free for the past 6 years...nothing lasts forever.”

“...well, if you start something. Let me know, I will be there with a truckload of popcorns and drinks.”

“You really do consider this as a movie, huh.”

“Absoluetly~ No movie can have such an interesting story.”

“One day...I’m looking forward to the troubles you will face.”

“Waaait! Don’t jinx me.”

“Are you sure you will be okay?”, Duke Landon asked next to me.

“Hmm?”

“You will be needing knights for maintaining your Duchy. And in due time, you will require his help.”

“....”

Well look at this, he is worried about me.

6 years ago, this man was the one who loved neutrality more than anyone else.

But now, he is clearly leaning over to my side.

Guess Willaim’s shenanigans are also helping me.

Ethel was also looking at me with surprise.

“You don’t have to worry about that, Duke Landon.”

“Lady Ethel?”

“His academy students...you should never underestimate them. This year’s festival is going to be fun.”, she said while grinning.

“...”, Duke Landon couldn’t understand what she was trying to say.

“You don’t need to worry about me, Duke Landon.”, I said while smiling.

“Is that so…”

Just as we three were talking…

“Dad, we are going to have to leave.”, said a voice that was approaching us.

With shining platinum blonde hair and twinkling Azure blue eyes...she approached us with a bright smile.

“Fiona, you were bored, weren’t you?”, Ethel asked while grinning.

“Oh of course not...His- Oh I apologize, Duke Arthur’s speech was really moving. I was almost brought to tears.”, she said while looking at me.

“Hahaha~ I’m glad you enjoyed it, Lady Fiona.”

“It’s been a long time since we spoke, hasn’t it, Duke Arthur?”

“It has. About 6 years have passed. And you seemed to have changed a lot from back then.”

“Have I now?”, she said while looking at herself.

“Nope~ she remains the same...extremely arr-”

“Ethel, I think we both need to have a long conversation.”, unlike the mouth, her Azure Blue eyes are not smiling.

“Ah...Ahem Ahem...I think father is calling for me. I have to go now. Bye!”

“Again, congratulations Duke Arthur. What you have achieved today or…*whisper* 6 years ago *whisper* is a milestone no one has achieved from the start of the Empire.”

“You flatter me too much, *whisper* Lady behind Luxica *whisper*”, I too retorted back while smiling.

“...so you came to know.”

“Well, with your father’s help.”

“Oh that’s fine, I’m looking forward to work with you in the future, Duke Arthur.”, she said while bowing a little.

I really have to say...she is extremely well versed in the areas of manners and etiquette.

Even now...she bows while ensuring that her Dark Blue dress does not touch the floor too much.

“The same goes here. I’m blessed to work alongside a genius like you, Lady Fiona.”, I too said while bowing a little.

“And what might your plan be for the future?”, she said while looking straight at my eye.

Is she curious?

Why?

Duke Landon said the same...why is she curious about my territory?

“I have never come across a land that has gone through massive development. Ena was the first. Now, I’m even more intrigued about what you will do for the Swi...Ellen Duchy.”

“Haha...I guess it is knowledge your after.”

“Absolutely...I believe that seeing things with your vision is a million times more effective than reading them.”

“Can’t refute that...as for the plans, I think we can schedule a meeting later on...maybe tomorrow? I’m gonna have to leave for the Duchy by tomorrow evening. So, is tomorrow morning fine?”

“Absolutely...do remember that tomorrow’s meeting will dictate how the relationship of Ellen and Luxica will be in the future.”

“Of course...and are you sure you don’t want to spend your time with William?”

Oh~ I saw it.

I saw her eyes going from curiosity to blank.

Man...William...you messed up big time.

At the same time, I was also able to see a lot of the boys glaring at Lady Fiona.

Are they idiots?

Is what I want to say out loud…

“You really have it hard.”, I said while looking around.

“I do, don’t I? I’m glad that is their father’s that I am dealing with now. But the future is really looking dark for me.”, she said while sighing.

It is.

It’s one thing if you’re not on bad terms with a standing Duke. 

Because he knows where to draw the line between work and personal emotions.

But these kids...blinded by love...they’re probably going to give a hard time for Luxica to thrive.

Guess this is the reason why Lady Fiona hid her identity from the general public.

This might also be the reason she wants to grab hold of the market in Ellen. 

“Anyways, I’m afraid we have to leave, Duke Arthur.”, Duke Landon said while looking at me.

“It’s been a wonderful time, Duke Landon.”

Just as they leave, Lady Fiona leaned in and...

“So, you really crave for the neck of the Emperor?”, Lady Fiona whispered next to me. She was brandishing an evil but naughty smile. As though she is making a prank.

“It’s not something I can answer here, Lady behind Luxica.

“Hehe...is that so.”

Smiling brightly, she then quickly walked after Duke Landon.

Before vanishing from my vision, the lady in her dark blue clothes turned back and mouthed…

“I’m looking forward to our meeting.”

In all sense...I really do believe that this is a great day.

Not only did I receive my title, but I also got to know the person behind Luxica.

I’m pretty sure William knows about this too...I wonder what he is thinking.

They left pretty early, didn’t they?

Anyways, seeing that I was standing alone with no company...some of the boys decided that it is time for them to introduce themselves.

““We greet the Duke of Ellen, Arthur Zemira.””

“It is nice to see you all too.”, I said while smiling.

“Duke Arthur, it’s been a long time since we saw each other, wasn’t it?”, one asked.

“I’m afraid it has been. In all honesty, I should have been studying alongside all of you. But I decided what I’m doing right now is perfect for me.”

“Do not worry, Duke Arthur. As much as I am concerned...what you have achieved in the past few years in the development of Ena, I don’t think it is possible for us without perfect guidance.”, another said.

So he is asking whether I had guidance or not...cheeky bastard.

“I did. My late mother ensured that I get all the guidance I could get.”, I said while smiling.

“Ah...haha...is that so.”, he said while awkwardly scratching his hair.

“....”, since I didn’t have anything else to say, I was looking around the garden until I heard his voice again.

“Umm..Duke Arthur…”

“Yes?”

“I am not sure whether we are supposed to say this...but I think it is better if you distance yourself from Lady Fiona.”

All of the boys that came with him nodded to his words…

Barons...at most...they are children of barons…

“And why is that?”, I said while looking straight at his eye.

“She is a villainess who stops at nothing to get her hands on the throne.”, another said with a firm voice.

“...I don’t think I understand...I get that all of you are on the side of the pink-haired Lady…what was her name again?”

“Lily...Loly Dormer.”

“Right...her...don’t you think you’re opinions are one-sided?”, I asked while tilting my head.

“Ummm...it may be so. But that doesn’t mean that Lady Fiona is on the clear yet. Last year, she ensured that-”

“I don’t care what she did.”

“I’m sorry?”

“She is the daughter of a person I respect...that is all there it is to it. Stop pushing your opinions on me...it’s honestly-”

“Disgusting.”

“Ethel…”

“Lady Ehtel…”

Her eyes were furious...and her crimson red eyes were shining with rage.

“You boys disgust me.”, she said while looking down on them.

Oh boy...she is angry.

There is this trend with all the Prorins...nothing can stop them when they are truly angry.

“Says the Lady who blindly support Lady Fiona...you should stop throwing a blind eye to whatever she does-”

“You should stop.”, I stopped him from talking anymore.

“Huh?”

“If you value your life...you should probably leave.”, I said while getting between the boys and Ethel.

I know Ethel like the back of my hand.

She is unbelievably strong…

Her weapon also focuses purely on raw power. Having the ability to cleanly slice a tree in two...I don’t think this weak noble kid knows what he is getting into.

“Calm down, Ethel.”

“...Sigh...whatever...just scram.”, she said to the boys in front of me.

“And who are you to tell that?”

Hey!

“Just because you have the Prorins behind you...doesn’t mean that you can do whatever you want!!”

Shut the fuck up!!

“You boys know have no delicacy, do you?”, said another girl from Ethel’s side.

Wait…

The number of people around me suddenly increased by a ton.

There are a lot more boys than before!!

And what’s with the number of ladies behind Ethel!

What is even happening?!

Arthur...you have to stop that!

Empress?!

I heard a voice in my head.

The palace is quite a scary place to be in. Surely this is not the magic of the Empress...rather someone else, transmitting her words into my head.

We can’t have any commotion on this important day!! Stop it all cost!! William is coming there right now!

Wait...what do you mean?

Commotion?

Of course, not, look at the number of reporters going around with cameras. 

These noble kids know better to not cause any commotion-

“Oh shut up, you annoying pest!”, said a boy who seemed to respond to his engaged partner.

“...”

We are screwed.

Something is missing...I have re-written this chapter quite a lot. Yet it is not up to my satisfaction, but I didn't want to postpone it any longer.

 

Did you like the chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
30