Chapter Twelve: How To Name A Cat
2k 17 145
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Twelve
How To Name A Cat

 

To most people, halibut just tastes like fish. It’s the sauce that makes it. Which is why it was interesting to Jonathan that it now didn’t. He’d had fish before, and other than the odd exception, it had always just tasted like fish. He hadn’t learned the difference between halibut, bream, cod or sole, it was all just fish (although an exception was made for salmon, which tasted pink and was therefore at least interesting). 

But now, halibut tasted like the ocean and swimming and slightly salty and maybe like whatever adults meant when they called something ‘gamey’. In short, it was the greatest thing Jonathan had ever tasted. If he hadn’t felt like he was under scrutiny, he felt like he’d be able to eat it until he exploded. The potatoes and vegetables were okay too, he supposed.

And then his plate was empty and he had to physically keep himself from swiping food off Dennis’ plate, who was sheepishly picking at it, like he was scared it would bite him right back. Looking across the table, he saw Simon was eyeing his once-again-human neighbour’s plate hungrily. 

“That was amazing,” Simon sighed, putting Jonathan’s exact thoughts into words. “I just wish there was more, you know?” 

Jonathan nodded but tried to act as calm and cool as he could. He really wanted some more of that fish. “Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever had food like that.”

Simon leaned forward a little conspiratorially, oblivious to the fact that he was getting fish sauce on his shirt. “D’you reckon it’s a magic thing?” 

Jonathan was about to shake his head, and then hesitated. What if it was? If magic existed and you could use it to make food taste better, wouldn’t you? “I don’t know,” he said. “Could ask someone.”

“Nah.” Simon leaned back, crossed his arms, noticed the sauce on his sleeve and put it in his mouth. “I juft fink it’f intevefting,” he said through the mouthful of cloth. The room went quiet once more as headmistress Lalonde stood up, looking as proper as ever. 

“One moment, everyone. We’ll give you all some time to finish up your plate, but once you’re ready, we’ll begin the pairing as soon as possible. When they come ‘round to clean the plates and tables, be sure to give thanks to our kitchen staff, who have truly outdone themselves, again.” She smiled at the man who had rung the dinner bell, standing in the door to the kitchen. 

Everyone who wasn’t eating gave a small, awkward applause while a few adults started to go around to collect plates. It was a slightly noisy affair, but Lady Lalonde seemed happy to wait. A few remaining people quickly shoveled some more food into their mouths, but it wasn’t long before the tables were empty and everyone looked expectantly at the teachers’ table. There was an empty space in front of it. 

“Now, I know this’ll feel awkward,” the headmistress said. “Most of you have been in that exact spot. You know how this goes. For those of you who don’t: the pairing ‘ceremony’ isn’t an exact science. Some of you are Witches, Wizards or Warlocks. Some of you are familiars. You’ll be trying to find people who ‘match’ you. Magically, that is.” She waved at the tables that had the new students. “If everyone who doesn’t have a pairing yet could come forward…”

Everyone did as they were told. Jonathan felt like everyone was looking at him, but in truth, the two dozen or so kids who piled up in the center of the room were all in the center of attention. He tried to disappear a bit, while at the same time sticking close to Dennis in case the younger boy got too scared. He gave a little reassuring nod full of confidence he didn’t actually have. 

This much closer to the teachers’ table, he could get a closer look at the headmasters, who were far more intimidating up close. Sir Mangrove had a smile on his face, but it was the kind of smile adults gave to children who they didn’t want to panic. His eyes seemed to scan every single face of the people before him. Lady Lalonde wasn’t much better, although she didn’t put up any pretenses, regarding all of them with curiosity. The other teachers were no less intimidating. 

The most obvious of which was Vigours. The suit he was wearing was different than the one from last time, but no less worn. His sleeves were rolled up, exposing his numerous tattoos, and he looked skeptically at the gathered students with his arms crossed and a single eyebrow raised. Jonathan wondered what kind of school would have a teacher like that, who looked like he was more at home in a gang or a bar fight than a classroom. 

Next to him was a younger lady who, despite the absence of any flowers, had flowers-in-her-hair vibes. Her clothes were loose and had all kinds of fall-coloured floral patterns, and she had a dreamy look in her eyes. Her smile, at least, was genuine. She looked like she genuinely wanted the kids to be comfortable, and that was reassuring at least. She looked like she’d have a drawer or a box of sweets. 

The last man at that side of the table was a gruff older man with curly hair and a curlier moustache who looked like he was annoyed that he couldn’t enjoy his after-dinner cup of coffee in peace. His moustache bristled. 

“Okay,” Ellen Lalonde said, “Familiars on the left. Good. And our Witches and… exactly, good. Thank you.” Everyone shuffled into two groups of about the same size. Jonathan looked around, trying to hide a bit behind the taller kids. He didn’t like how many people were looking at him and the group across from them were all facing… well, him. Not just him, but still. The atmosphere was strange. “Now,” the headmistress continued, “I want all of you to close your eyes and try to relax as best you can. Magic is a strange and fickle thing,” she said. Her voice was clear, and with his eyes closed, Jonathan found it easy to focus on it and shut out the awkward coughs and shuffling footsteps. “But you can think of it as a kind of creature. It will lay itself as it wants to, and it wants to connect as many of you as it can as best it can. Take a deep breath, and let it. Connections will begin to form. You’ll know it when you feel it.”

As she spoke, Jonathan did as he was asked. He took a deep breath and tried to feel out. He felt his consciousness, strangely shapeless. Like a shopping bag underwater. He had to laugh at the mental image. ‘Why yes, ma’am, I have felt like a plastic bag.’ But then something touched his consciousness and he inhaled sharply. 

“That’s it,” Lalonde’s voice said. “Some of you are making contact. Relax. This is normal. You’ll find each other.” Jonathan was about to start worrying whether it would happen for him, when something touched his consciousness, and it was like an electric shock went through him. First through his mind, then through the top of his head, and then all the way down to his toes. When his eyes shot open, the world was a lot bigger. He’d turned into a cat, just like that. He looked up, all the way up, at headmistress Lalonde, who smiled at him and the other Familiars who had poofed into the animal forms. “Those of you who have found your pair bond will be free to get acquainted and take a seat in only just a moment,” she said. 

Jonathan looked around and saw a girl looking at him intently from under a wide-brimmed witchy hat, which was clearly very new and had a crocheted spider sewn into it. The only thing wider than her eyes was her smile. She had pink braces. In that moment, Jonathan knew exactly who this girl was. Well, he didn’t know-know. But he knew this was his witch. He carefully trotted over, not wanting to be too presumptuous in case he was mistaken or she hadn’t experienced the same thing. 

The girl knelt down in front of him and very carefully, yet very deliberately, put a hand on his head, covering his eyes. “Hello,” she said. Jonathan didn’t know what to do or what to say. Her hand was warm. There was that. 

“Hello,” he mewled back softly. He was about to ask her for her name, but Lord Mangrove spoke before Jonathan had the chance to say anything. 

“If you have not yet pair bonded, that’s okay. It can take semesters or even years for you to find someone,” he said. “There’s no shame in it, and you’ll have access to all the same classes and resources as every other student. Furthermore,” he continued, “those of you who have will get to know each other soon. Familiars will not be able to turn back into humans around their mages. That will take some getting used to, but it is imperative that you understand magic is an instinctual thing. Whether now or in two weeks or in two years, if the two of you feel like your connection isn’t what it could be or what you want it to be, then you can always choose to step away. It’s a choice.” He cleared his throat to make sure people were paying attention. “This kind of magic is instinctual. That means it can be wrong. If something feels wrong, you can say something. That said,” he added with a smile, “the connections you make here today can last you a lifetime.”

The girl picked Jonathan up with two hands under his armpits and he had to keep from yelling in surprise. Instead, what came out of his mouth was a startled “brrrp?”

“I’m Jenna!” the girl said, her face large and suddenly very close. “Jenna Towers. It’s so nice to meet you!” Jonathan tried to wave hello, but his arms didn’t move that easily when she had him picked up like that and he accidentally put a paw on her nose. Jenna giggled. 

“Together,” Lalonde said, “every pair will figure out how you work. Together. As a Familiar and Witch, Wizard or Warlock, you’ll be working together to make each other stronger and better. You’ll be connected, no matter how far away, and you’ll learn to do great things together. In time, you’ll be able to speak through thoughts alone. But for now,” she said, “introduce yourselves!” Jonathan looked around. 

Dennis, at least, seemed to be in good hands. An older boy, maybe seventeen, sat on the ground next to the small puppy, and was talking calmly to Dennis who was wagging his tail excitedly. Simon, meanwhile, was already curled up in the hood of another boy’s brightly-coloured sweater, and the two were chattering away. 

“I’ve never had a cat before,” Jenna whispered. “So I don’t know what I’m doing. My M— my parents didn’t let me have pets, and for obvious reasons there’s no animals living on campus because that would make things awkward, y’know? And I’ve been living here for years.”

“You had to live here for years?” Jonathan asked with a startled gasp. “That sounds awful!” His voice was so high and squeaky, but he had a rough time paying attention to it. Dennis was in good hands, but he wondered if he was going to have to help this girl escape to see her family again too. 

She shrugged. “They didn’t believe me when I told them I was a girl,” she said matter-of-factly. Jonathan scrunched up his face. How would they not believe that? It was obvious to anyone, right? Especially with a name like Jenna. “They kicked me out, and Charlie found me. They offered to let me stay here!”

“Wow,” Jonathan said, “I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be! I get my medication here, and now I even have a Familiar!” She held Jonathan up high. “And you’re a girl kitty! Can I call you Emily? You look like an Emily!”

He didn’t want to disappoint her, she sounded so excited.

“Um,” Emily said. “Sure.”

I mean, what are you gonna do? Say no??

145