Chapter 30
3.3k 47 109
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tanya and Izuku worked on the two normal gang members for an hour and were a little disappointed by the results. They worked over the yakuza member and were not happy with what they found out. The implications alone were too much to discuss right away. They dispatched those three and went into the last room of the abandoned building to confront the final captive. He was the one that Tanya had singled out.

The young man beamed a smile at Tanya as she entered the room. “Praise the lord! His chosen has come!”

Tanya let her eyes go gold and saw the young man still had that same golden aura that indicated Being X's blessing. “You can keep that garbage to yourself.” She said in an even tone. “I need to ask you some questions...”

“He loves you and all you need to do is submit to his grace.” The young man interrupted.

“What was your assigned task?” Izuku asked and the guy didn't react.

“What was your assigned task?” Tanya asked and the young mans smiled.

“To watch you and assess you for compatibility.” The young man said. “His grace approves of...”

Tanya made a swipe motion with her hand and Izuku instantly took out a knife and sliced the young man's throat.

The young yakuza member started to gurgle and choke as his blood flowed out the wound... and then time seemed to come to a stop. The young man sat up straighter and the wound didn't heal.

“Your defiance is laughable, as is your attempt to stop me.” Being X's voice said. “This vessel is nothing when compared to the number of followers that are flocking to me.”

“You see, that's where you're wrong.” Tanya said and let a manic grin cross her face. “That 'nothing' vessel has provided me the exact purpose that I required of it.”

The head tilted as if in confusion.

“It brought you out of wherever you're hiding and you manifested here.” Tanya said and pulled out a very special knife that she had painstakingly crafted in secret for years. It wasn't until they had raided that spy business that she had found the final piece of equipment that she needed to complete it.

“I am god. I am everywhere.” The tilted head said. “You know this.”

“If that were true, then you never would have manifested here.” Tanya said and made the knife glow. It extended out to become the bayonet magical blade that used to be on the front of her rifle in the other world. “Because you would already know what I planned to do with your 'nothing' vessel.”

“What are you doing?” Being X asked.

“Just sending a message.” Tanya said and shoved the blade into the young man's chest with her magic that was filled with righteous fury. She pierced the 'pure' heart of the nothing vessel and both Being X and the young man let out howls of anguish before Being X's influence waned and time resumed at the normal pace.

Izuku was surprised that worked. “The connection he forms really works both ways.”

Tanya nodded. She had suspected it back in her old world and never had the opportunity to test it. “Being X apparently needs vessels here to continue his influence.” She said and examined the dead vessel that used to be a yakuza. “It's the same as back then. Once he uses them up, there's nothing left inside.”

Izuku sighed. “I had hoped to save some of them.”

Tanya sighed as well. “I'm sorry, Izuku. Even if I tried to heal them, their life essences are already used up and it's just an empty husk.”

Izuku walked over to her and sheathed his knife. He took her into his arms and looked into her eyes. “You warned me that there was a very slim chance that they could recover when that entity was excised. I never imagined that the longer they are under his influence, the lower the odds became.”

“I don't know if we can catch him enough times before he builds enough of a bridge to completely mess with everything here.” Tanya said with a sigh.

“Don't talk like that. We've got this.” Izuku said and kissed her cheek. “We now know where the gang bases, the local yakuza's main base, and one of their branches are located.”

Tanya took a deep breath and let it out, then she smiled. “Let's go. We're wasting nightlight.”

Izuku nodded and they gathered up their interrogation tools and equipment, then put the four bodies into a pile, and lit them on fire. Thanks to the spy hideout they had raided, they gained a nice source of incendiary grenades. Tanya charged one with her quirk, hit the timer, and they used their stealth techniques to run away.

They were a block away when it ignited.

*WHABOOOM!*

They turned to look at saw the huge explosion. They also saw the building disintegrate and the fireball catch the surrounding buildings on fire. Thankfully, they were abandoned as well.

“We gotta go!” Izuku said and grabbed her in a princess carry, covered them both in green lightning, and took off at his best speed. Tanya cast mage shield around herself, just so she wouldn't suffer the buffeting winds, and they were back at the hero agency in three seconds. She flew them up to the window of their room and they entered without a sound.

They quickly stripped off to their underwear, tucked their stealth outfits under the bed, and laid down on the covers together. Just then, an alarm went off that they hadn't heard before.

*WEEEEP!* *WEEEEP!* *WEEEEP!*

“Up! UUUUUP!” A man's voice yelled and a fist started banging on doors. “There's a massive fire in the eastern district!”

Izuku went to the door of the room and removed the heavy desk before he opened it. “Full costume?”

“Kid, if you think you can fight a raging fire naked, go for it.” A man he didn't recognize said and he moved down the hallway to bang on the other doors.

Izuku closed the door and looked at Tanya. “I fight a raging hard-on all the time. Who needs clothes?”

Tanya snorted and laughed as they grabbed their real costumes, dressed quickly, and left their room to join the others in the main living area.

“All right, people.” Mr. Brave said. “Anyone with a water based quirk is lead on this.”

“What if we can carry water quickly?” Izuku asked.

“Here's a bucket!” One of the interns said and she handed a large one over.

“Where did you get this?” Izuku asked as he looked at the industrial sized metal bucket.

“Yeah girl, hand them all out if you got more!” One of the other male interns said.

The young woman blushed. “I... I'm sorry. I only have one.”

Izuku looked at it and it looked expensive. “Can you tell me where you got it?”

The young woman nodded. “It's my quirk. It's called 'storage'.”

“Oh, sweet mercy! You're going to be a great hero!” The other female intern exclaimed.

The young woman shook her head. “No, you're jumping to conclusions like everyone else I tell.”

Tanya looked at her and at Izuku, then he nodded she smiled. “You can only carry one item of that kind at a time.”

The young woman gasped. “How did you guess that?”

“You only have one bucket and not a stack of buckets.” Izuku said. “It's also not a normal bucket, either. It's a big expensive one.”

“I bought it myself, just in case.” The young woman said as her blush returned.

“What else are you carrying?” Tanya asked.

“Um... let me see.” The young woman's face blanked out for a second. “One set of normal clothes, except socks. I only have one of them. One shoe, one boot, one large Bowie knife, one microwave dinner, one bottle of soda, my empty school backpack, one book to read, one pencil, one notepad...”

“That's enough! We have a fire to get to, people!” Mr. Brave said. “We spread out to make a perimeter and if you meet anyone suspicious, be cautious. We don't know who could be stupid enough to light empty buildings on fire. If there are any gang members or yakuza in the area, stay clear of them. Even if they are guilty, they won't hesitate to kill you and let you ask them questions later. Note who they are and keep the fire contained.”

Tanya and Izuku gave each other a knowing glance.

“Let's go!” Mr. Brave said and they all jogged out of there and down the stairs to leave the agency completely unprotected. Gretchen was not going to stop anyone from attacking, not by herself.

Tanya and Izuku shared another look and Tanya hopped up into the air.

“I'm going to try to blow the flames back.” Tanya said.

“Make sure you aim towards the center of it, in case it overshoots and increases the flames.” Mr. Brave said.

Tanya took off flying and the heroes ran towards the eastern district. Izuku didn't bother going fast, because he knew the bodies needed a bit more time to be burned up.

“Spread out!” Mr. Brave ordered and everyone did so.

Izuku looked around and found a fire hydrant. He ran over to it, popped open the cap on the side and turned the knob on the top to start the water flow.

“Nice going, kid!” The hero that woke them up said and he ran into someone's yard and came back with a normal bucket.

They both filled them and ran to the closest fire, just as a sonic boom sounded off to their left and a good fifty feet of flames snuffed out... and then surged right back into the now fresh oxygen.

“Dammit!” Tanya shouted and disappeared, then reappeared with a dumpster. “Izuku!”

“Great idea!” Izuku said and handed the filled bucket to her as she dropped the dumpster beside him.

Tanya started flying strafing runs with the big bucket and Izuku filled the dumpster. When it was close to full, he tossed it up into the air as Tanya flew back and dropped the big bucket into his waiting hands.

“Thanks!” Tanya said and did another strafing run while poring out the dumpster on the nearby fire. She wasn't trying to put it out, only contain it to stop it spreading. They could worry about putting it out when the firetrucks came.

The heroes and interns worked for nearly twenty minutes before a very old firetruck finally showed up. It was understaffed and half of the hoses were cracked and unusable.

“Jesus, why the hell did you show up?” Wiggleman asked one of the firemen.

“It's our job.” He said and they hooked up a hose to the truck and went over to the fire hydrant. Another fireman used a wrench to turn it off.

“Hey, we need that water!” Storage Girl said.

“We need to hook up the hose without the pressure on it.” One of the firemen said and the heroes nearby could only stand around and wait. When the hose was attached, the fireman turned the fire hydrant back on and it went through the hose quickly... and right into the firetruck.

“You have got to be kidding me!” Izuku exclaimed. “You're riding empty? In the most fire prone area of the city?”

“It costs more gas to drive around with the truck filled with water all the time.” One of the firemen said and they stood there to wait for the truck to fill. They started to unroll two hoses on the other side of the firetruck and hooked them up to the pumps there.

“How. Long.” Wiggleman spat.

“Twenty minutes.” The fireman closest to them said.

“Half of the district will be on fire by then!” Someone else shouted as Tanya came back with the dumpster and landed.

“What's going on?” Tanya asked and her eyes immediately took in the scene. “I really hate administrative red tape!”

“What do you mean?” Storage Girl asked.

“We're heroes and are legally required to defer to civilian services when they are on the scene.” Izuku said and cross his arms. “We can't interfere with their jobs or offer to help it GO FASTER!”

All of the firemen winced at his yell.

Izuku turned to the girl that gave him the large industrial bucket. “Storage Girl, thank you for letting me borrow this great bucket.”

The young woman blushed. “You're welcome.” She said and then whispered something.

“What was that?” Izuku asked.

“My name. It's Single Item Girl.”

“Oh. Sorry about that, Single Item Girl.” Izuku pointed to the bucket. “You can put it away, now that we can't use it.”

“Okay.” She said and touched it to store it.

Izuku beamed a smile at her and she blushed furiously.

“Geez, stop with the charm already.” Tanya said with a chuckle. “Do you want to find a shovel or something? Maybe we can dig up some dirt from an empty lot to make a firebreak.”

“I have a shovel!” Single Item Girl said and took it out. The curved steel gleamed in the fire's reflected light. It looked expensive, too.

Izuku reached out to put his gloved hand on hers. “Thank you for the offer and I appreciate it. However, I won't take the chance that I might break it.”

She opened her mouth to tell him to take it anyway, then nodded and stored it again.

“Tanya and I will come to your room tomorrow to discuss some things.” Izuku said without letting her hand go.

“O-o-okay.” Single Item Girl stammered.

“To talk. Just talk.” Tanya said with as much of a sincere tone as she could. The young woman nodded.

“Let's go look for some dirt.” Izuku said and picked up the dumpster.

Tanya nodded and the two of them started to walk away, then they both stopped and turned back. “Single Item Girl? Let's go.”

“M-m-me?” She asked and pointed to herself.

“You're going to help us a lot, so yes.” Tanya said and waved for her to follow.

“OKAY!” Single Item Girl yelled and ran to catch up to them.

“What do you think that was about?” One of the male interns asked the others.

“I have no idea.”

“I thought they were a couple?” The other female intern asked.

“Which ones?” One of the guys asked and they all laughed a little.

“The Colonel and the Captain.” She said. “They even won the sports festival together and that never happened before.”

“That's because they kicked ass.” Wiggleman said. “I've never seen anything like it.”

“Is that why you gave them a hard time when they came here?” Mr. Brave asked.

“I thought they were going to be arrogant and full of themselves.” Wiggleman said. “I'm glad I was wrong.”

Were you? Mr. Brave asked himself. He remembered Tanya's and Izuku's behaviour when they reported in that first afternoon and their reaction that night when he realized they thought they weren't allowed to leave their rooms. He also read the reports about Izuku handling Wiggleman after he had left.

The firetruck let out a whirring sound and the pumps kicked in to build pressure.

“Okay, heroes. You're up!” One of the firemen said and pointed to the hoses. “We need hands to hold the hoses steady.”

“We're on it.” Mr. Brave said and he and the several heroes and interns there split up.

They helped the understaffed firemen control the hoses and they started to fight the raging fire that had spread significantly as they all stood around to wait.

Mr. Brave looked around and didn't see Izuku or Tanya. He just knew that they were messing things up even more around the area. I definitely regret asking them to intern here.

109