197 – I’m Fine
1.2k 11 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The last semester for most people could either be described as stressful or dreadful, and it wasn’t just about graduating; it was about what their future after graduation. 

“Journalism is dead!” Zhu Ah Nin lamented at the loss of the last newspaper company in Yide. She had worked there over the summer and was planning to apply for a position after graduation.

“It has been dead for years, did it resurrect without me knowing?” Rouxi asked, blinking her eyes as though she was thinking seriously about her question.

“It was on life support,” Zhu Ah Nin rolled out her arms over the cafeteria table and lowered her head to rest her chin on top. She sighed, “The company had been in the negative for a while, I guess it was only a matter of time. What am I going to do now?”

“Just start a blog, what’s wrong with writing online?” Li Ching asked.

“Ah, you don’t know what it’s like to have a fresh roll of newspaper and smell the scent of hot steamed ink.”

Journalism was a tough field. It was being replaced by regular bloggers and vloggers. A degree wasn’t even required.

“I didn’t know you’re so old fashioned,” Rouxi commented. She was about to add another statement when a text message popped up from Li Yun.

Yun: Ms. Song, you should be paying attention to class.

Wu Ling noticed Rouxi’s annoyed look, and saw the text coming in from person #8. “Anything happened to cousin?” She asked.

“He’s naggy,” Rouxi complained. 

Wu Ling nodded in agreement. Although Li Yun seemed like he didn’t care about much, he was a worrywart and as meddlesome as the others in the apartment.

“Where’s An Zhang Mi?” asked Rouxi.

“Maybe at work?” Wu Ling replied.

An Zhang Mi had been working part time in a law firm to gain experience. She had already completed most of her classes, and she only had two classes to keep her full-time student status.

“I thought she only worked two days a week?” Rouxi asked. She thought something was off as An Zhang Mi was the type that hated to be late, even for social engagements.

As they turned on their WhoApp to message An Zhang Mi, she arrived and sat next to Wu Ling.

“Why are you so late?” asked Wu Ling.

“I was working to finalize some documents,” An Zhang Mi replied.

“Is it a requirement for law firms to give interns tons f work?” asked Zhu Ah Nin. She remembered her internship at the newspaper office to be a pleasant and relaxing experience. 

“It’s fine,” An Zhang Min replied curtly.

“And you overslept?” asked Rouxi, not believing it.

“No, I got up as usual, just last minute stuff.”

Rouxi’s phone beeped and saw a message from Zhu Ah Nin.

Gossiper#1: She’s lying?

Me (Rouxi): I think so too. Her makeup is thicker today as well, do you think something happened?

Gossiper#1: It could be, Zhangmi is usually very punctual. I’ll talk to her later.

Rouxi and Zhu Ah Nin took turns to watch Zhangmi carefully for the rest of the day. They didn’t have class together, but Zhu Ah Nin’s department was closest to Zhangmi. Immediately after class, she waited by the entrance of the Law Department building.

In between classes, a wave of students rushed out, some walked to their next class and some walked to the library. Zhu Ah Nin saw An Zhangmi walking absent-mindedly from behind. Her pace was much slower than usual. Although it was Zhangmi’s last class, she usually rushed to the library to pull up old cases. She hated to waste time in between. 

Zhu Ah Nin grabbed a hold of Zhangmi and entered a small empty classroom. She couldn’t hold it in anymore. Something was off, and she didn’t want to see her friend in such a state.

“Zhangmi, what happened to you?” Zhu Ah Nin asked.

“What do you mean?” An Zhangmi asked.

“Don’t pretend like I’m stupid, your eyes are puffy, even with the makeup.”

Zhangmi opened her mouth slightly, about to say the line that she had rehearsed, “I’m fine.” But instead, An Zhangmi hugged onto Zhu Ah Nin and cried. “Ah Nin!”

“Zhangmi, what happened?” Zhu Ah Nin whispered patiently.

“I… I don’t remember…” Her voice cracked as she tried to hold back the tremor between her throat.

Zhu Ah Nin felt An  Zhangmi’s body trembling, and her breathing shortened. “Calm down Zhangmi, we need to get you to the nurse’s office.”

An Zhangmi squeezed Zhu Ah Nin tightly to hold her in place and shook her head. “Just take me home.”

Seeing her distressed state, Zhangmi quickly messaged Ju De and Rouxi, and took her back to the apartment. When Rouxi arrived, Zhangmi was barely able to control her breathing. 

“I shouldn’t have gone out!” Zhangmi wailed. “It’s so stupid!”

“Who did you go out with?” Rouxi asked as she gave her a pill and water. 

An Zhangmi took the pill and drank down the water. She didn’t know what it was, but she didn’t care. She just wanted to completely forget everything that had happened.

Last night, she went out to a party with the female colleagues. It was inside a club, but they had a private area. A little later in the evening, she suddenly felt lightheaded that she thought it was her usual migraine. She asked to leave the party early, but she completely blacked out as she was about to leave.

The next moment, she woke up naked in bed in the hotel room. Her mind went into overdrive and the only thing she could think of was to return home as soon as possible. When she returned to her apartment, she broke down on her bed and cried. The pit of her stomach churned, and she threw up, unable to suppress the feeling of revulsion at herself. She was in a daze much of the morning, staring at the clock and hoping the day was over.

Zhangmi didn’t want to meet with anyone or go to school, but it was her usual routine. If she didn’t go, they would suspect something. However, she was already a bit late, would they figure it out? She wanted help, but she was too afraid and embarrassed to ask. Would they know if they saw her?

As An Zhangmi retold what had happened, she slowly dozed off to sleep. At that point, Ju De returned home from work and noticed Rouxi also in the apartment. They told him what they heard from An Zhang.

“What’s the name of the law firm?” Ju De asked. 

“He & Shang Law Firm,” Zhu Ah Ning replied.

“He & Shang Law Firm?” Ju De asked, unfamiliar with the firm.

Rouxi turned her tablet to show Ju De the information about the firm. He & Shang was a law firm that specialized in M&A for high end companies and clients.

“Does she remember her attacker?” Ju De asked.

Zhu Ah Nin shook her head. “Every time she tries to remember what happened, she gets a panic attack, so I don’t think it’s a good time to ask.”

Ju De looked through the list of the law firm’s clientele, and they were big businesses in Yide.

“I think we will have to investigate what happened,” said Ju De. “Who was at the dinner party?”

“We got a few names, but Zhangmi doesn’t know everyone at the dinner party,” said Zhu Ah Nin, and noticed Ju De typing up an email to He & Shang. “What are you planning?”

“I’m requesting a consultation,” said Ju De as he pressed the send button.

36