2-7: Three Dances
512 8 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a wall around the estate with a large iron gate that had been propped open for the party. Theonis was awestruck by the sight of the building. It was only a single story, but stretched wider than any that Theonis had ever seen before, with marble pillars supporting the flat roof.

“What does Nikoris do?” Theonis asked as they were escorted inside by the servants.

“He inherited a trading empire from his father,” Dimileios replied, also scanning the hallways.

The interior didn’t even resemble a Pelakevian household. Foreign art hung from the walls. Gold and silver artifacts from distant lands were sitting out in plain sight. Through one open doorway, Theonis saw what looked like an indoor bath with a glass ceiling.

It turned out that the estate was in the shape of a square bordering a large outdoor garden in the center. This is where the party was taking place. Oil lamps had been hung up along the paths and people in expensive outfits were milling about and speaking quietly among themselves.

“Dimileios.” Nikoris grinned when the group approached him. “It’s good to see you and your colleagues. Especially this beauty here. She cleans up well.”

Before Theonis could protest, Nikoris had taken his hand and kissed it. Theonis stammered and blushed, pulling his hand away. Nikoris seemed more amused than annoyed.

“I insist that you make yourselves at home,” he told Dimileios.

“Thank you. I’d like for us to continue speaking about seeing your collection—”

“Dimileios, there will be time for that later. For now, just relax and enjoy the party.”

Dimileios grumbled something underneath his breath, but Nikoris had already started walking away.

“Hopefully this won’t take too long,” Satiria mumbled. “I’m going to go find some wine.”

Dimileios nodded and followed her. Myrova sighed and folded her arms before beginning a walk around the garden. Theonis followed beside her. He could hear Kateni following behind them.

“This is way more wealth than I ever expected to see,” Theonis admitted, looking around. “It’s the middle of winter and all these plants are in bloom. Is he using magic?”

“Unlikely,” Myrova said. “Probably just good, expensive fertilizer.”

“My mother was the wealthiest person I knew,” Theonis continued, “but her home was nowhere near as impressive as this. She’d probably have become a trader years ago if she knew how much money she could make from it.”

Myrova scoffed, replying, “All this money in one place means that none of it is in the hands of people who need it. There are people in this city who can’t afford food on a daily basis. I sincerely doubt that someone who would import relics from other cultures would spare any of his wealth to ensure that they’re being fed.”

“Oh… but he could be?”

“They never do. Trust me. I actually grew up poor before… attending the academy. Living in the shadow of ostentation shapes how you see wealth.”

Theonis was quiet. He’d been poor for a while back on Stemini, but it had always been with the understanding that he could have attained the same status his mother had with hard work. But even then he’d been aware that only a few people could actually pull it off and everyone else had to be content with whatever they could manage. And apparently that was true on a national scale as well.

“People this wealthy were always a pain to work for,” Kateni said, glaring at some of the other guests. “When we weren’t guarding them, they’d have us go out and intimidate smaller merchants and traders into cooperating with them. Sometimes we’d even have to ambush competing caravans. I’m glad to have put it all behind me.”

Theonis asked, “So what you’re saying is that there’s no way Nikoris could have gotten all this wealth ethically? That he’s not really any different from the pirate captains back on Stemini?”

“Unfortunately, that’s correct,” Myrova replied.

“That’s depressing.”

Myrova and Kateni continued talking between themselves for a while. Theonis found his way to a corner with some irises and sat down on a small stone bench. He couldn’t stop grinning. This was really happening. He was here in a dress. And not just any dress: a dress so remarkably expensive that it would make his mother blush. The thought gave him chills; the good kind.

The other guests here looked at Theonis and they saw a girl. It was unbelievable, but it was true. For a moment, he could almost imagine that was what he was. He could wear dresses and jewelry and not be made fun of for it. It was almost perfect. If only—

“Theonis,” Myrova said, getting his attention. “I just checked in with Dimileios. He’s going to try talking to Nikoris again and needs you to be there.”

“Right, I’m on my way.”

Theonis stopped to pick up a glass of wine to steady his nerves. It was really dry, but he wasn’t going to be picky right now. It was a little difficult to steady his breathing. Everything that they were working toward rested on what he was going to say in the next few minutes.

He spotted the two of them standing next to a small fountain. Nikoris had a nearly empty glass, which Theonis suspected wasn’t his first. Theonis finished his own drink and took a deep breath before walking up.

“There she is,” Nikoris said, turning to him. “My dear little star, I don’t believe I’ve caught your name.”

“Oh, I’m… uh… it’s… my name is Sophiria,” Theonis stammered.

He could feel his face turn red. Why had he given her his mother’s name? Nikoris just nodded in reply.

“A beautiful name,” he said.

Dimileios cleared his throat and said, “I wanted to congratulate you, Nikoris. You’ve clearly demonstrated yourself as a worthy successor to your father multiple times over. I don’t think even your grandfather did as much to grow the company as you’ve done.”

“Well, it’s good to get some acknowledgement,” Nikoris replied, downing what remained of his drink. “You would not believe the amount of stress I’ve put myself under to be this successful. You were smart to get out while you could and choose an easy job, Dimileios.”

Dimileios replied with a strained smile before continuing, “This country would probably be brought to its knees without you coordinating trade efforts. Your spot on the Assembly was well-earned. I suspect that once things have stabilized, you’ll put in your bid to be appointed senator?”

“Eventually, yes.”

Theonis stepped in, adding, “You will have a lot more public support once we find the Apositan capital. Having your name attached to the find will demonstrate how committed you are to Pelekavian development.”

“Public support would be useful,” Nikoris muttered.

“You must have people coming to you for help all the time,” Theonis continued. “It really is an honor that you’re willing to speak with us. I’ve never met anyone of your stature before, and the work you do is inspiring.” Nikoris gave Theonis a smug grin, clearly satisfied with himself. “I’m sure that the capital will see fit to reward you for your part in helping us secure such a valuable find for Pelakevi.”

“That’s true…”

“But we’re not the only group looking for Agathula,” Theonis warned him. “We need your help right away if we have any hope of making it there first.”

“Quite a conundrum,” Nikoris agreed, eying Theonis hungrily. “But I’m not entirely convinced.” Theonis’ heart sank, but Nikoris just held out his hand and asked, “How about we have a dance to help me clear my head?”

Theonis almost sneered. Obviously, he’d made up his mind already. Nikoris was just doing this to get a dance out of Theonis. But instead of calling him out, Theonis just smiled softly and took his hand.

“Thank you,” he heard Dimileios say softly.

Nikoris dragged Theonis to an open cobblestone area where they had room to dance. He took the lead, and Theonis did his best to remember what he had learned that morning. He had to pay attention to the way Nikoris’ body was moving.

It was a little uncomfortable. Nikoris was taller than Myrova and was holding Theonis much closer so they were pressed together. Fortunately, he couldn’t see the pained expression on Theonis’ face. He told himself that this was just going to be a short dance and then it’d be over.

“How do you like my estate?” Nikoris asked.

“It’s amazing,” Theonis replied. “How do you find time to use all this space?”

“Oh, it’s far too big for one person. You should really consider giving up the adventuring life and moving in.”

Theonis shivered, but forced himself to chuckle lightly.

“Nikoris,” he said softly, “I would very much like to see this collection of yours that I’ve been hearing so much about. Would you really deny a… a girl like me the opportunity to see something so exciting?”

“Hm… when you put it that way—”

Suddenly, someone tapped Nikoris on the shoulder and the dance ended. Theonis sighed in relief as Nikoris let go of him to focus on this new person. After a moment, Nikoris turned back to him.

“I’m afraid I have sudden business to attend to, but I assure you that when I’m ready I will show you and your friends my private collection. Until we meet again, my dear Sophiria.”

He gave Theonis one last kiss on the hand, which sent shivers up his spine, before departing. Theonis swiftly returned to Dimileios. Myrova, Kateni, and Sophiria had joined him in waiting for the news.

“As soon as he’s available, he’s going to show us the collection.”

“Oh, that’s wonderful.” The tension seemed to wash off of Dimileios. “Thank you so much, Theonis.”

Theonis nodded, but admitted, “I feel a little gross after that dance.”

Myrova chuckled and held out her hand, offering, “How about another one while we wait to wash the taste out of your mouth?”

Theonis grinned and took her hand. She took the lead, gliding across the cobblestone. Myrova moved slowly enough that Theonis wasn’t tripping over himself trying to keep up. They made eye contact and Myrova flashed him a toothy smile, making Theonis’ heart beat a little faster.

They danced in silence for a while, skirting around other couples who had also started dancing. Quiet music drifted over the gardens, serenading the two of them. After a while, Theonis closed his eyes and allowed himself to get lost in the dance.

This was the closest he’d ever felt to Myrova. The scent of her perfume filled his senses. She clutched his hand in her own just a little more tightly.

“I’m sorry you had to dance with that man,” Myrova said.

Theonis opened his eyes and nodded, frowning slightly.

“I did what I had to,” he said.

“He didn’t deserve it,” she replied. “You really do look beautiful, by the way.”

Theonis felt heat rising to his cheeks and he bit his lip.

“Thank you. I really appreciate that.”

“Do you think that you’re going to wear dresses more often after this, or…?”

He sighed, admitting, “I don’t know. This is wonderful, but I don’t know how the rest of the crew of the Polaia will take it.”

“Trust me, Theonis, they’ll take it pretty well. Everyone just wants you to be happy.”

“I want to believe you.”

Myrova asked, “You really do like being seen as a girl, don’t you?”

“I… this is embarrassing, Myrova.”

“I’m not going to judge you.”

“I know that…”

“Then what’s holding you back?”

Theonis chewed his tongue for a bit, then explained, “It’s not like I could ever really be a girl anyway. Sure, the crew might not judge me, but the rest of the world would if anyone found out.”

Myrova frowned, then told him, “There’s something I want to talk to you about, actually. Later, though; once tonight is over and we’re on our way to the capital. I think that it will help you.”

“What is it? And why not tell me earlier?”

“I didn’t want to hurt you if I was wrong. But for now, please just try to enjoy tonight, okay?”

“Okay.”

“Good.” She stopped dancing and separated from him. “I’m going to get another drink real quick. Do you want one?”

“I think I’m good,” Theonis replied.

He watched her head toward the drinks, a slight aching in his heart. That would have been the perfect time to confess his feelings for her. But instead he’d made it all about himself. What had he been thinking?

“Excuse me, may I have a dance?” a slightly familiar voice asked.

“Sorry, I—”

Theonis turned to address the stranger and his breath died in his throat. Standing there was a pale skinned man with eyeglasses wearing a dark blue suit. He was holding out his hand for Theonis to take.

“Aylmer…” he whispered.

“The one and only. May I?”

Shaking, Theonis took Aylmer’s hand. He started the dance, holding Theonis close and leading with sharp, swift movements. Theonis was breathing heavily, panic quickly setting in.

“I’m not mad, by the way,” Aylmer said. “I was impressed by your little deception. Truly, I underestimated you. Besides, if you hadn’t done it, we wouldn’t be here together again, and I’d have hated to miss out on the sight of you being so beautiful.”

Theonis couldn’t help it: Aylmer calling him beautiful made him feel all warm and bubbly. Even if he was older than Theonis, the way Aylmer smiled at him and the soft look in his eyes made Theonis want to melt. His heart was racing.

“What are you doing here?” Theonis asked.

“I’m here for presumably the same reason you are,” Aylmer replied.

“How do you know about the artifact?”

“Disgruntled former employees have loose lips,” he replied. “And I’ve been in this business long enough to know how to make people talk.”

“I’m not going to let you win.”

“This is not a game, Theonis,” Aylmer said. “But I admire your spirit. What motivates you so, I wonder?”

“I’m loyal to my team.”

“You’d do so much better if you put your own needs first, instead.” Aylmer grinned. “One day, you could have this kind of extravagance for yourself, if you wanted.”

“Why would I want that?” Theonis asked. “We don’t hoard the things we find; they belong to everyone. I won’t hold power over others just to abuse it because I can. And I certainly won’t indulge in greed while there are others who need basic provisions to live.”

“Greed makes the world go round, Theonis. There’s a reason that countries who take what they want end up as the dominant forces in the world.”

“You mean like Ancient Miravia?” Theonis asked. “They destroyed Apositan society.”

“And replaced it with something better,” Aylmer replied. “Miravia created vast road networks to unite the world, instilled stable hierarchies that we still base our governments on to this day, and brought together disparate technologies from across the known world to further the development of society by generations. Not to mention, it was Miravia that first legalized marriage between people of the same gender, something that I think would be of extra significance to yourself.”

Theonis felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up.

Aylmer continued, “Your friends don’t like me because they claim I’m stealing what belongs to them. But the Luvetchian Empire is just the latest in a long line of imperial nations that are trying to further civilization as a whole. And it is in the nature of a superior civilization such as ours to take what we find for ourselves; we’ve earned it for the good we bring to the world.”

Theonis flared his nostrils.

“I can see why my friends don’t like you.”

“But you don’t feel the same way, do you, Theonis?” Aylmer asked, squeezing Theonis’ hand. “You understand where I’m coming from. The things your friends take for granted are things that would not have been possible without Miravian influence. And in a thousand years, people will be saying the same thing about Luvetcher. You can be a part of that, if you want.” Theonis didn’t respond. “Well, whatever you decide, I do hope that I get to see you again in the future. You have a lot of promise, Theonis.”

He let go of Theonis and turned, disappearing swiftly into the crowd. Theonis was left standing alone. As soon as he could breathe again, Theonis ran over to where his friends were standing.

Gentle reminder: I have a Patreon. All patrons get access to each chapter at least a week early, and higher-level contributors get access to Patreon-exclusive stories every month. You'll also have access to some drafts of longer stories that can't be found elsewhere. Right now, I'm also working on a Patreon-exclusive novella. You can find my page here if you're interested. If you're interested in commissioning a short story or micro fic from me, you can do so at my ko-fi here. If you're interested in short stories but don't want to make a monthly contribution, you can find some of the Patreon exclusives for sale here. Other ways to show support are to leave comments, rate the story, read my other works, and share this story with friends who might be interested. Every little bit helps, and thank you in advance!

Special thanks to my patrons of honor: Grymmette, Alex, Zoey, Chloe, Elsie,  and Victoria.

38