477. Consolation
87 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rika had a lot of fires to put out. She had no idea that Pan Jiaying’s parents had moved in from Qin, since she’d already left before that happened. Hell, the entire government had been practically overhauled in the time she’d been away. First thing’s first, she needed to correct the record.

“It’s a good thing you haven’t told anyone that Yoshika’s dead yet, because she’s not.”

Eunae gasped.

“Are you absolutely certain? I believe you, of course, but Elder Lin and Haeun were quite convinced, and the fact that Heian has been missing as well corroborates it.”

“Heian’s stuck in the spirit world—I was right there with her, actually. Saving me was one of Yoshika’s final acts before she died.”

Yun squinted at her.

“You just said she didn’t die.”

“No, I said she’s alive. She did die, but according to Heian some part of her soul has managed to claw its way back out of the afterlife out of sheer determination or something.”

“Wha—how?!”

Rika shrugged.

“Heian doesn’t know, and her attempts to explain it went way over my head. The point is that Yoshika is alive.”

Eunae tapped her lips thoughtfully.

“But she’s not here with you—and neither is Heian. You said that ‘part’ of her soul made it back. She’s still incapacitated, isn’t she?”

That was Rika’s genius princess—always so quick on the uptake.

“Exactly. That’s why I need your help. We were able to use your powers to fix Zheng Long after Yang Qiu chewed up his soul and spat it back out, Heian and I are hoping we can do the same for Yoshika.”

“Zheng Long’s recovery wasn’t exactly easy, and his soul was mostly intact—just damaged. Still, I’ll do whatever I can, of course.”

“Great! You get whatever you need ready for that—I need to go talk to some people.”

Eunae cocked her head curiously.

“Who?”

“I’ll need to see if Elder Lin or your sister have sensed Yoshika’s return, and I’ve got some important stuff to tell Yue about the war. I guess I should also talk to Yoshika’s family to give them the news.”

“I’m sure Jung and Narae will be happy to hear it, but you might have a bit of trouble with Miss Pan. She’s been isolating herself in her parents’ house, which means that you’ll need to go through them.”

Rika furrowed her brows.

“What’s wrong with that?”

“Well...you remember I mentioned that there’s a small but vocal faction advocating for Elder Lin to replace Yoshika?”

“Oh no...”

Eunae smiled bitterly.

“Oh yes. They’re leading it.”

 


 

The first stop was Yue’s office. Rika had a lot of obligations, but she was technically the acting head of the military until Kaede could resume her duties or someone else was appointed to replace her. That authority might be useful for some of her other stops, but she’d need Yue to formally recognize it, and while she was there she’d make her report about the situation back home.

Rika found Yue in a rather impressive looking government building that she was certain hadn’t been there when she left. At the core of the three-story building, Yan Yue was hard at work in an office that looked as though it had just been ransacked.

Papers, scrolls, and even the occasional jade slip were strewn about her desk, the floor, and nearly every other surface in sight. Yue herself was a disheveled mess, with her hair buns losing so many strands they looked as though they might fall apart at any moment, and bloodshot eyes with dark circles suggesting that she was desperately in need of some sleep.

That was particularly concerning, given that she physically didn’t need to.

As soon as Rika stepped through the door, Yue glanced up and locked eyes with her.

“Hold her.”

Yue had often been Rika’s practice partner when training her domain back in the academy. Rika had always lost those spiritual sparring matches, but she always learned from the experience and she liked to think that she could at least defend herself quite well.

Not this time. Yue’s domain squashed hers like a bug, leaving her open to the mysterious presence that flooded her meridians and neatly cut off the connection between her mind and body, leaving her totally paralyzed without altering her perception the way Yue’s technique usually did.

Yue rose to her feet, carelessly knocking over a stack of papers behind her, which she ignored as she walked around the desk, her eyes never leaving Rika’s.

“What are you doing back alive?”

Rika found that she still had control over her head, at least, and gave Yue a rueful smile as she answered.

“Good to see you too, Yue. Don’t worry, I’m fine, but thanks for asking.”

Yue sneered down her nose at Rika in a way that reminded her of back when they’d first met.

“Don’t get smart with me, Takeda! You’re the entire reason Yoshika is gone, and now you dare return without her?! Give me one reason why I shouldn’t send you back to meet her right this instant.”

“How about two? One—it would break her heart to see you acting like this again after how much faith she put in you. Two—she’s not dead.”

The retort Yue had prepared for the first statement died on her lips as she heard the second.

“What?! But they said—”

“They were right, she was dead. She came back.”

Yue blinked.

“Oh. Of course she did! Those idiots are far too stubborn to die. I’ve been such an idiot. As if something as pedestrian as death ever had any sway on Yoshika...”

“Okay—before you start making a creepy shrine to your new goddess, they didn’t make it out unscathed. They’re in critical condition right now, and I’d really appreciate it if you could let me go so that I can get back to trying to help.”

She sighed and waved a hand, her domain and the moon spirit both releasing their hold on Rika. Yue turned away and staggered back toward her desk, leaning on it heavily as she ran a hand through her disheveled hair, undoing one of her buns in the process.

“I’m sorry. You’re right I—that was not behavior befitting of a Prime Minister.”

Rika put a hand on her hip.

“It wasn’t particularly friendly, either.”

“No...no it wasn’t. I’ve been hopelessly overwhelmed ever since—no. I have no excuses. That was a betrayal of your friendship, and Yoshika’s. I suppose I never learn.”

“Eh, the old Yue wouldn’t have apologized at all. And I get it—you’re stressed, not handling the grief well, and the world cruelly refuses to stop turning to let you stop and process it all. I’ve been there.”

Yue shook her head sadly as she gathered up the loose strands of hair to fix her bun.

“Please don’t make excuses for me. I do not deserve your sympathy or your forgiveness.”

Rika snorted.

“Well as Jia might say—too bad. You’ve got them anyway.”

“That’s—”

Yue cut herself off, turning away to wipe her eyes.

“Thank you.”

Then, as if nothing had ever happened, she straightened herself out, walked back behind her desk, kicked aside some loose scrolls, and sat down.

“How can I help you, Rika?”

Rika gave her report while Yue chewed on her thumbnail. Once she was finished, Yue sighed miserably.

“So it’s not just Lord Hayakawa we are up against, but the demons as well. I’ll have to find a way to relay that to Jin Hu without alerting Ienaga about Yoshika’s incapacitated state. What do you need to help fix her?”

“I wish I knew. For starters, I’m going to talk to her family. I also need to let Jiaying know what’s going on—she deserves to know.”

Yue grimaced.

“Her parents—”

“Yeah, I heard. If need be I’ll lean on my authority and demand to speak to her.”

“Tsk. They’ll love that. Here—”

Yue dug around under the papers on her desk before finding a small jade sigil and tossing it to Rika.

“Present that seal to indicate that you’re acting under my authority. I’ll be responsible for whatever you use it for, so try not to get into too much trouble.”

“I promise I’ll limit the destruction to only half the city.”

“Smartass. I don’t see why she wouldn’t, but you should also be able to compel Elder Lin to assist you should she be otherwise unwilling. We’re...not on the best terms at the moment. I was quite hurtful last time we spoke.”

Rika scratched her head.

“Yue...I don’t think anyone’s harder on you than yourself. Take it from me, that self-blaming isn’t going to get you anywhere. Don’t use your failures as an excuse to not improve. Just admit you were wrong, apologize, and do what you can to set things right. It’s worked for you so far hasn’t it?”

Yue nodded slowly.

“I know. I should know. I’ve been reminded often enough, but I never seem to learn. But you’re right—that’s no excuse not to try. Perhaps it’s inevitable that I will slip up and fail yet again, but I owe it to myself—and to Yoshika—to get up and keep trying.”

Rika grinned brightly.

“That’s the spirit! But uh—piece of advice? Start with a shower. When was the last time you even left this room?”

“I’ve been—!”

Yue stopped herself, taking a quick breath to center herself.

“Yes. Thank you. Is there anything else?”

Rika snapped her a crisp salute.

“No ma’am!”

“Good, get out. By the emperor, I have so much work to do...”

 


 

Jung was next. It would have been better if Narae had been there too, but apparently rather than take time off, the little tyke had responded to her sister’s death by doubling down on her efforts in school. Rika would have to get to her when she visited Haeun later.

Rika had always liked Jung. She was a woman who never let her weakness get in the way of her strength. She didn’t hide her feelings, but she didn’t let herself be controlled by them, either. It was after meeting Jung that Rika really understood where Jia’s fierce determination came from. They may not have been related by blood, but there was never any doubt who Jia’s mother was.

“That’s good news! I’m glad that you made it back safely, and I’ll pray for their safe recovery.”

Though sometimes Rika found it a little off-putting just how strong Jung really was.

“Thanks. I, uh, thought you’d be a bit more worried.”

“Oh, I am, of course! But those girls are strong—stronger than death apparently, which I suppose means that they’re quite serious about their insistence that I live forever.”

Rika chuckled nervously and sipped her tea. Sensing her discomfort, Jung leaned across the table and put her hand over Rika’s.

“Rika, I’ve lived close to death for as long as I can remember. Nothing in life is permanent, and while that doesn’t mean I refuse to form any attachments, I’m quite used to letting go. I hope that Yoshika and Yumi will be alright, but nobody is helped by tearing my hair out over it.”

“I guess not. I just...I guess my family never quite got over the loss of my parents. Chiyo is too young to remember them and even she gets depressed over it sometimes. It’s a different perspective.”

Jung smiled softly and patted her hand.

“And no less important. I appreciate what you’re doing, Rika, but why don’t you let me handle the An family? You must be anxious to save Yoshika.”

Rika was about to demure, but she saw a familiar look in Jung’s eyes. The same look she’d once seen on a strange girl half her height determined to help her walk home after a lost duel. Jia was truly her mother’s daughter.

“Thanks, Jung. That would be a huge help, actually. I have to go talk to Jiaying next, and I’ve heard her parents are...”

Jung grimaced briefly, but quickly schooled her expression.

“They mean well—try to remember that. They just have a somewhat twisted idea of what it means to help.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, thanks.”

With that, Rika finished her tea and excused herself. No sense delaying it any longer—it was time to find out what all the fuss was about. Surely Pan’s parents couldn’t be that bad.

qT3WxRx.png

SzlAzAe.png

6t5vE4f.png

You can also find a full gallery of all the finished artwork for Fates Parallel here!

pntRFnj.png

Volume 1 of Fates Parallel is on Amazon's Kindle Unlimited! Check it out here!
  Also available on Audible!

Volume 2 of Fates Parallel is on Amazon's Kindle Unlimited! Check it out here!
  Also available on Audible!

Volume 3 of Fates Parallel is on Amazon's Kindle Unlimited! Check it out here!
  Also available on Audible!

Volume 4 of Fates Parallel is on Amazon's Kindle Unlimited! Check it out here!
  Also available on Audible!

cHagqdM.png

 


 

Special thanks to the people who supported me:

My partner, HalcyonSeas, who has been nothing but encouraging as I pursue my dream.

Friends, Loaka of the Wind, Pennytail, and insaneyanish who read my disastrous first drafts, helped me create the world of Fates Parallel, and encouraged me to share my writing with the world.

Other authors who helped me get started as an author, particulary Selkie Myth for his incredible shoutouts.

And finally, all of my wonderful patrons who have helped me turn this hobby into a career, the first of which I have immortalized here:

Spoiler

RMullins
Etly
Emilin
Victor
Mine
Odunski
Todor
Naimah
DvorakQ
Thomas
Robin
Cog
Alexis Lionel
Attherisk
Kit
Vail
Arusalan
Saganatsu
Stephane
Celdur Ey'lin
Alexandra
IrateRapScallion
Fraxx
The Test Subject
Yandron
Berj
Sorcoro
Max C.
Solo
Mark
Ava
Auribia
VietDom
MeliMeliDH
Andrew C.
Seasparks
Joseph H.
ShadeByTheSea
Beryn
Ranzbart
Connor B.
Taylor W.
Lu
Rayaface
Zeodeicasia
Jess
j0ntsa
Jan
LarryParrish
6J0ker9
GiantOrange
K G
eagle0108
thkiw
FISHLAD
Tatsu D
The Human
Tarantism
Elisah
RuRo
bisque
Salmuna
Jake T.
Emanym
TAF
mrblue
Rhaid
Damian Z.
itbeme12321
Joseph C.

[collapse]

6