Chapter 96: Sword Versus Shard
264 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I do not appreciate you painting my master in such a light…” <Archangel of Life>

“Did I say anything wrong?” <Vibrant>

The two of them just silently floated in the air, using their wings that did not look like they would even be able to catch air on account of being either a group of shards or swords, staring another down. Those who came from the {Oni Village} couldn’t help but be nervous for multiple reasons. Number one of which was not even due to the seemingly invincible existence in front of them; rather due to the one they unknowingly left behind in their home.

“Do you think everything is okay…?” <Qin>

“Matriarch wouldn’t be taken down by some goddess!” <Ashue>

“Plus I doubt we could actually do anything to stop her, she has already proven herself to have the ability to come and go as she pleases, so we can only have faith in our brethren.” <Slate>

Slate said with a stone-like face as she stared up at the two angelic entities that emitted so much tension that it was clear a fight could break out at any moment. Seemingly not worried at all about the looming threat to her home.

Of course, that was only on the surface, truthfully she felt far from calm.

Ever since they heard this she could not help feeling something was going horribly wrong but (at the same time) her loyalty was not to the village. Even if she loved her hard ass mother - they had different loyalties and this was exactly what her mother had taught her from young. She knew that Quartz would likely be disappointed if she dropped everything to run there; especially when she was unlikely to accomplish anything even if she did now.

While her mother had sworn loyalty to the matriarch she was loyal to “Vivi”. Neither was this loyalty something she would take lightly, nor was it something childish, she would go against even her mother if she dared get in her ojou-sama’s way. Nevertheless she still loved the old prude. Oni were like one big violent family that sometimes would accidentally kill one another due to how passionate they were.

At the end of the day she was the leader (could not exactly trust Ashue with it) of the Orchid of flowers that followed their esteemed master. If she were to leave, who would keep them together; they had to wait for their master to return and it would be disgraceful if they did so in a pitiful state.

Never mind her mother - she would be disappointed in herself.

<Plus not like waiting for ojou-sama to return and make a decision will cost an arm or a leg.>

“I suppose you are not wrong, Vibrant, my master will indeed do anything to continue with the original mother’s great vision for this realm filled with a bunch of stupid monkeys. There are many issues that constantly crop up and a surprising few are created through divine intervention from rogues. Most problems are birthed from their own stupidity.” <Archangel of Life>

That distorted but calming & kind voice echoed throughout the courtyard; bringing everyone's attention toward the ancient being in front of them.

For some unusual reason they clutched the side of their ‘face’ - could hardly consider them as having one due to it just being like the rest of their body - just a group of shards over a golden glow. There were no eyes, mouth, nose or ears yet the entity kept rubbing & scratching where its ear would be. Slowly getting more aggressive as time went on.

Their other hand didn’t remain idle as another elongated shard formed in their hand, obviously their weapon of choice, which they kept passively by its side. Although nobody watching assumed for a second that it had no intentions of using it.

In response Vibrant’s wings also undulated as if ready to explode at any moment.

“Was it not you, one of the heads, that toppled over the system with no care about who would need to pick up the shattered pie-” <Archangel of Life>

“Pff~!” <Vibrant>

Despite Vibrant having her first little chuckle… Nobody else was laughing.

A chilling silence filled the entire city as if the zombie apocalypse from earlier hadn’t happened - nobody willing to make a sound. Even those “blessed” didn’t even dare dribble. Everyone knew fine well why Vibrant launched but those on the sideline really wished that she could have been a little more mature.

Then again, as previously explained, a Violet was still a Violet while an Indigo was also an Indigo. And it was not exactly a secret that the Indigo family weren’t exactly the most tactful of the three undisputed strongest families. If anything… It was amazing it took this long for her to break “character” and openly laugh at the expense of the archangel she had already sliced up in the past.

She also wasn’t the only one who ran out of patience as the angel flicked its other hand down which caused another ‘blade’ to appear. Its shard-like fingers curling around the crystal. Rearing its head back as if making a silent shriek which all the blessed heard - those body-horror monsters jittering once more.

“MY EAR HURTS SO DAMN MUCH - I’LL TEAR YOU INDIGO BASTARDS TO RIBBONS FOR REDUCING ME TO THIS!” <Archangel of Life>

With that angry yell it charged towards the awaiting angel of swords - swinging its two swords upwards as if trying to remove the girl's arms from her shoulders. Thankfully she was battle hardened enough to easily follow the path of those swords. Two of her swords coming forward to intercept the angels own; many more attempting to pry through the gaps in its glassy hide.

“You do not even possess ears, truly you have fallen further than thought, crazy divine!” <Vibrant>

The angel did not seem to notice as those swords punctured through its body mercilessly. Golden blood dribbling along their edges onto the ground below - not that it affected the archangel as they continued moving as if nothing at all happened. Slipping it’s sword through the gap made from Vibrants defence; not that it accomplished much as the oni easily moved aside before lifting their knee to send the angel away.

Unfortunately she didn’t get away unaffected as the sharp nature of the angel's body led to lacerations appearing atop her knee.

“Thought that would happen… As expected of something cut by me.” <Vibrant>

“I would not be so calm; you are not alone this time.” <Archangel of Life>

*crackle*

Tsk!* <Vibrant>

As they clashed the blessed did not remain passive - charging towards the tortoise made blockade with hunger behind their golden eyes. Slamming their unnaturally proportioned bodies against it. Growling in an unnatural way while those who still had functioning vocal cords called out for those inside to let them inside so they could share their blessing with them.

Some of those in the crowd even bore resemblance to people those inside recognised. Whether it be servant, comrade, colleague or family there was someone each of them would recognise if it took a bit due to their warped form... Except those of Orchid who did not have anyone but themselves.

Even if all the damage was on a small level, what the angel did wasn’t ineffective, they had managed to hit exactly where they needed. Those inside the barrier began to call out erratically to Ashue & those blessed clawing at the only thing protecting them. Some even went as far as to attack the formation itself in order to get it to lower so they could “rescue” those they cared about.

As strong as she was; Ashue was hardly unmovable when having her technique assaulted from all sides.

Especially when most of those attacking were entities that had been crafted by an archangel that had been alive since the time when dragons ruled the world. Perhaps even when Atlas himself managed the world - in a poor attempt to make a utopia of equality between the arrogant primordial gods & their mighty creations.

It was hardly that surprising that cracks were beginning to form in the barrier which caused the golden haired oni to slowly form a frown. A moment that the archangel refused to ignore - pulling their limbs into themselves before exploding outwards. Sending dozens of shards sailing through the air which she had to quickly send her swords to intercept, expertly having those swords move into a sword formation, forming a golden veil to catch those shards before they could hit the shield or herself.

That moment was followed by the angel vanishing into a beam of light before promptly appearing right behind the {Sword Saint}. Swinging their blades together in an attempt to remove her neck. She wouldn’t be caught that easily however, narrowly leaning forward to have it pass over without cutting a single hair, following through by winging her leg back About to kick the angel yet stopping midair to instead ‘hop’ towards her sword away where a single sword would move to aim for the angel’s neck.

As much as she liked to put them down, the angel also was no slouch, quickly lifting one of their blades to intercept the blade then following through in another attempt to end their rival.

Vibrant meanwhile couldn’t use all their swords as they also had to defend those inside the tortoise’ formation which meant cutting down an army of undying monsters. A task which was not easy by itself due to being strong by themselves - at least she was clearly not the best for such a task. Still she did not so much as get scratched by the angel while also greatly relieving Ashue while Orchid quickly moved to take out those mortals who go ahead of themselves.

At the same time she also seemed to have no way to finish the fight with the archangel; any attempt to hurt the angel was met with them simply healing it. In fact most of the attacks she managed to get through were quickly followed up with a counter attack as the angel seemed to know its advantage well. If a simpleton watched they would think that Vibrant was overpowering the angel with how many times her sword ran it through.

Neither of the two were deterred as they clashed over & over in a beautiful dance that quickly expanded to take part across the entire city. Whenever she was away from the courtyard she could even begin to use her sword aura to battle the angel but they were able to respond in kind. Even with its invincible body it was no slouch when it came to using those shard-swords it created.

“You know it’s funny; thanks to Mother I am able to possess an astounding growth over these years however you have only grown weaker than ever before!” <Archangel of Life>

Just like that it drew one of its swords towards the oni’s heart only to be deflected by the floating sword yet they weren’t done yet. Following it up by swinging the other toward her hips which she thankfully managed to repel by moving the butt of the sword to slap into the flat of the shard. She was not even able to follow up as any direct contact with the monster-factory would just result in her getting sliced up.

The angel had no such issues as its wings flapped forward as if an iron maiden had come down from the sky just to punish her. She just kicked off her own floating sword to avoid the attack range of the archangels encroaching shard-formed wings.

Flipping for a second in the air before landing upright as if on an invisible platform.

“Then maybe I should start trying?” <Vibrant>

4